PDA

View Full Version : The Unofficial Video Game & System Thread (Part III)

Pages : 1 [2]

reds1869
08-03-2011, 08:01 PM
I have Skyrim on preorder. I'm also not usually a pre-order type but the cloth map Gamestop is giving out will be most helpful. If you've ever played Elder Scrolls you'll know what I mean!

MikeThierry
08-03-2011, 08:04 PM
I have Skyrim on preorder. I'm also not usually a pre-order type but the cloth map Gamestop is giving out will be most helpful. If you've ever played Elder Scrolls you'll know what I mean!

It does look interesting. Do you think that if you never played the Elder Scrolls games before, that you would get lost playing it?

LvJ
08-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Just came across this (http://lunacityarcade.com/photos.htm) on Reddit. Pure gold.

reds1869
08-04-2011, 09:27 AM
It does look interesting. Do you think that if you never played the Elder Scrolls games before, that you would get lost playing it?

I think you'd be fine. I played Oblivion without having played the previous three Elder Scrolls titles and did just fine.

BTW, I'm also looking forward to ME3. I'm still playing the first Mass Effect (late to the party, I know) and doing pretty much every side mission there is. I absolutely love that game.

MikeThierry
08-04-2011, 06:27 PM
I think you'd be fine. I played Oblivion without having played the previous three Elder Scrolls titles and did just fine.

BTW, I'm also looking forward to ME3. I'm still playing the first Mass Effect (late to the party, I know) and doing pretty much every side mission there is. I absolutely love that game.

I actually went back recently and created another character on the original Mass Effect. Some people didn't like ME2 as much as the first one but with all the downloadable content for ME2, in many ways, ME2 is better than the first game. I think the story was stronger in the first game but the mechanics in the second game are superior in my opinion. If you are going to get ME2, I would advise you though to get all of the downloadable material because it adds tons of content to the game that make the game more enjoyable (The Shadowbroker content is actually quasi epic and by far the best downloadable content I have seen in any game).

By the way, on The Elder Scrolls games, how long does it take you to play start to finish? I heard they are rather time consuming.

wolfboy
08-05-2011, 10:02 AM
Just came across this (http://lunacityarcade.com/photos.htm) on Reddit. Pure gold.

Wow. I'd hate to see their electric bill.

OldRightHander
11-03-2011, 01:02 PM
I just picked up the new Uncharted. Anyone else have this yet? Impressive so far.

reds1869
11-03-2011, 04:42 PM
I just picked up the new Uncharted. Anyone else have this yet? Impressive so far.

The worst thing about the demise of my PS3 is that I am missing out on Uncharted 3. In general I prefer XBOX but I absolutely love Uncharted. Hope you enjoy it!

MikeThierry
11-09-2011, 12:52 AM

I'm going to be picking that up this weekend. I have also been playing BF3. The campaign is meh but that is to be expected. The real treasure is the multi player. The graphics are brilliant and the game mechanics are an upgrade from Bad Company 2. I know that Modern Warfare 3 will out sell BF3, but BF3 looks to be the better of the two games.

RedsManRick
11-09-2011, 01:18 AM
I actually went back recently and created another character on the original Mass Effect. Some people didn't like ME2 as much as the first one but with all the downloadable content for ME2, in many ways, ME2 is better than the first game. I think the story was stronger in the first game but the mechanics in the second game are superior in my opinion. If you are going to get ME2, I would advise you though to get all of the downloadable material because it adds tons of content to the game that make the game more enjoyable (The Shadowbroker content is actually quasi epic and by far the best downloadable content I have seen in any game).

By the way, on The Elder Scrolls games, how long does it take you to play start to finish? I heard they are rather time consuming.

Im' playing through ME2 right now. WIth just a PS2, I can't get ME1, though I'd love to play it. Uncharted will be up next. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time for multiple playthroughs.

BuckeyeRedleg
11-11-2011, 02:36 AM
Picking up Skyrim tomorrow. Now, where to find the time to play it.

MikeThierry
11-11-2011, 03:01 AM
Picking up Skyrim tomorrow. Now, where to find the time to play it.

I'm glad I got paid today. I'm in the process of downloading it right now. I have a feeling my free time this winter is going to be booked up fighting dragons and other random things in this game.

Im' playing through ME2 right now. WIth just a PS2, I can't get ME1, though I'd love to play it. Uncharted will be up next. Unfortunately, I just don't have the time for multiple playthroughs.

That's the advantage of being single I guess, lol. For me, its work, school, free time.

RedsManRick
11-11-2011, 10:28 AM
I'm glad I got paid today. I'm in the process of downloading it right now. I have a feeling my free time this winter is going to be booked up fighting dragons and other random things in this game.

That's the advantage of being single I guess, lol. For me, its work, school, free time.

Yeah, that was me in college with Diablo II.

I tried Elder Scrolls for awhile, but the combat system felt flat and the world was just too open for my taste. By the time I'm done with ME II and Uncharted III, it will be time for Diablo III!

MikeThierry
11-11-2011, 11:04 PM
Yeah, that was me in college with Diablo II.

I tried Elder Scrolls for awhile, but the combat system felt flat and the world was just too open for my taste. By the time I'm done with ME II and Uncharted III, it will be time for Diablo III!

I'm about 3 hours into Skyrim and I have to say, this is slam dunk the game of the year. Even on low computer graphics settings, the graphics are beautiful. The world in Skyrim is massive but it isn't without purpose. It is very open ended but you get the feeling of accomplishment as you explore instead of just exploring, getting lost, and having nowhere to go. What makes exploring easier is that once you unlock a city, you can transport there. I don't know if it was like that in other Elder Scroll games but this certainly makes things much faster. The fighting system isn't without its flaws as sometimes you feel as if you are swinging at air but this isn't enough to take away from the gaming experience. Even with the flaws, the fighting system is a fun experience.

The leveling and crafting is as good as I have seen in any single player game. Just like exploring, crafting feels like you have accomplished something. Instead of pouring useless points into leveling up crafting like in a lot of games, the more you craft in Skyrim, the higher the level you become at that certain crafting type (forging, etc). Leveling is pretty much the same way. There are two types of leveling. The first is general leveling from gaining XP. These points you pour into a massive tree of skills. The second is leveling on individual weapon types. If you use a two handed sword, for example, you become more experienced at two handed fighting the more you use a two handed weapon. If you decide to use magic, you become more experienced in magic. Gone is the old idea of deciding what type of player you want to be (warrior, ranger, mage, etc). You can do a mix of each or lean heavily on one fighter type. This aspect alone makes it unique from a lot of games out there. I could go on and on but it is something everyone should check out for yourself. I don't think a lot of people will be disappointed by this game.

cinredsfan2000
11-12-2011, 10:08 AM
Anybody know how to get a Ps3 to pick up the Bluetooth device? I picked up a ps3 Bluetooth set and FIFA 10 for $5.00 :D cant figure out how to get my ps3 to pick up the blue-tooth set ? I set it up to scan for it but it doesn't seem to "see " it . the B.T. set is charged .

Redsfan320
11-12-2011, 11:00 AM
After doing some research.... As someone who hasn't played either, is there any really good reason I should buy Skyrim at the new price, as compared to Oblivion for $10?

reds1869
11-12-2011, 11:07 AM
After doing some research.... As someone who hasn't played either, is there any really good reason I should buy Skyrim at the new price, as compared to Oblivion for $10?

Oblivion is a great, great game. If you've never played it I would recommend picking it up now and grabbing Skyrim when the price drops or it is available used. Skyrim is superior in every way but you can't beat Oblivion for $10!

MikeThierry
11-12-2011, 12:52 PM
Oblivion is a great, great game. If you've never played it I would recommend picking it up now and grabbing Skyrim when the price drops or it is available used. Skyrim is superior in every way but you can't beat Oblivion for $10!

Reds, I'm assuming that you played Skyrim. What is your opinion on it?

reds1869
11-12-2011, 01:00 PM
Reds, I'm assuming that you played Skyrim. What is your opinion on it?

Amazing. I'm sure there will be bugs as in any Bethesda game, but it is GOTY material.

MikeThierry
11-12-2011, 03:33 PM
Amazing. I'm sure there will be bugs as in any Bethesda game, but it is GOTY material.

I totally agree. In my opinion, it is one of the most open games I have ever played, even compared to MMO's.

reds1869
11-13-2011, 10:14 PM
I totally agree. In my opinion, it is one of the most open games I have ever played, even compared to MMO's.

The gameplay flow is just so right. You feel like you are having actual conversations with NPCs rather than going through a series of dialogue boxes. I also love the elements they have borrowed from Fallout (like the new lockpicking method and kill cam).

wolfboy
11-14-2011, 09:47 AM
The gameplay flow is just so right. You feel like you are having actual conversations with NPCs rather than going through a series of dialogue boxes. I also love the elements they have borrowed from Fallout (like the new lockpicking method and kill cam).

After an entire weekend of frustration trying to get the game to run properly on my laptop, I finally fixed the fps issues on Skyrim. I have more than enough firepower to run the game, but it has issues on the PC version from what I've read. Didn't get to play much, but I figure I'll spend some time on it this week. Glad to hear good things about the gameplay.

reds1869
11-14-2011, 10:01 AM
After an entire weekend of frustration trying to get the game to run properly on my laptop, I finally fixed the fps issues on Skyrim. I have more than enough firepower to run the game, but it has issues on the PC version from what I've read. Didn't get to play much, but I figure I'll spend some time on it this week. Glad to hear good things about the gameplay.

I'm paying on 360 and have been pleasantly surprised by the FPS. I didn't install the game and it is still running marvelously. I hope they solve the PC issues.

Stray
11-14-2011, 11:25 AM
I got Skyrim for my laptop over the weekend. I just have a ATI 6630 and 4gb of ram with an i5. Performance is surprisingly good on medium/high details. I can't run it on Ultra though. I've never played any of the previous Elder Scrolls games, but after hearing the reviews Skyrim was getting I had to buy it.

So far I like it, I'm not too far in. I just joined the Imperial army or whatever. The landscaping and character skins are really awesome, as is the freedom it gives the player to choose their own path. Really having a lot of fun with it so far. My only gripe is that the UI seems really weird. Maybe I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet, but going from items to gameplay to spells to whatever seems kinda screwed up. Almost like it would be better played on a console. I didn't get a lot of time to spend on it over the weekend so maybe I just haven't really figured it all out. Oh and I did get random crashes here or there.

wolfboy
11-14-2011, 11:58 AM
I got Skyrim for my laptop over the weekend. I just have a ATI 6630 and 4gb of ram with an i5. Performance is surprisingly good on medium/high details. I can't run it on Ultra though. I've never played any of the previous Elder Scrolls games, but after hearing the reviews Skyrim was getting I had to buy it.

So far I like it, I'm not too far in. I just joined the Imperial army or whatever. The landscaping and character skins are really awesome, as is the freedom it gives the player to choose their own path. Really having a lot of fun with it so far. My only gripe is that the UI seems really weird. Maybe I just haven't gotten the hang of it yet, but going from items to gameplay to spells to whatever seems kinda screwed up. Almost like it would be better played on a console. I didn't get a lot of time to spend on it over the weekend so maybe I just haven't really figured it all out. Oh and I did get random crashes here or there.

I also have an i5 with 6gb of ram with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M and the only way I can run the game without tremendous fps issues is to disable anti-aliasing and run it on low settings. Kind of ticks me off, but oh well.

Stray
11-14-2011, 12:21 PM
I also have an i5 with 6gb of ram with an NVIDIA GeForce GT 525M and the only way I can run the game without tremendous fps issues is to disable anti-aliasing and run it on low settings. Kind of ticks me off, but oh well.

Since I have an ATI card I'm not positive on this, but I think there was a download or driver released over this weekend to help some Nvidia users experiencing performance issues on Skyrim.

wolfboy
11-14-2011, 05:46 PM
Since I have an ATI card I'm not positive on this, but I think there was a download or driver released over this weekend to help some Nvidia users experiencing performance issues on Skyrim.

I just updated my drivers over the weekend, but I'll check again. Thanks for the heads up. :beerme:

MikeThierry
11-14-2011, 07:46 PM
This game almost makes me want to go out and buy a new video card. Still, even on lower settings, the graphics are really good. I have kept it on low settings just to be safe. I might try to see how much I can get from my machine later on down the road.

I'm 10 hours into this game but I still haven't scratched the surface.

One question about joining different alliances. If you join one alliance such as the Champions or what ever they are called, can you join another one?

Stray
11-14-2011, 11:47 PM
This game almost makes me want to go out and buy a new video card.

It's pretty CPU intensive too. Not sure what kinda setup you have, but both a CPU and GPU can bottleneck performance.

Not sure about your game question though. I'm still trying to figure out how to do the side jobs or profession stuff. Heck I don't even know what I should be putting points in when I level up haha.

reds1869
11-19-2011, 11:25 AM
One question about joining different alliances. If you join one alliance such as the Champions or what ever they are called, can you join another one?

Assuming they'll take you there is no prohibition on joining multiple factions. Membership has consequences, though. I won't spoil it for you but suffice it to say one decision you can make will completely alter the way some groups view you.

wolfboy
11-19-2011, 04:53 PM
Got my issues fixed. Apparently my laptop has two video cards and wasn't switching over to the higher powered nvidia card when the game started up. I made the manual fix and it looks/runs fabulously. Now to find the time to play....

Razor Shines
11-19-2011, 06:11 PM
How does everyone like MW3? I'm mainly concerned with the online play. I was big time into MW2 and Black Ops but haven't picked up the new one yet. I've increased the amount of basketball that I'm playing and can't justify still playing video games but I'll have some time off around the holidays and am probably gonna pick it up.

OldRightHander
11-20-2011, 01:16 AM
How does everyone like MW3? I'm mainly concerned with the online play. I was big time into MW2 and Black Ops but haven't picked up the new one yet. I've increased the amount of basketball that I'm playing and can't justify still playing video games but I'll have some time off around the holidays and am probably gonna pick it up.

The maps this go around are really geared toward the fast run and gun type player. Not a lot of long sight lines for sniping or those places slower players like me (shameless campers) can hunker down and pick people off.

A nice change is that you have point streaks instead of just kill streaks now, and shooting down aircraft counts toward a point streak.

OldRightHander
11-20-2011, 01:37 AM
Oops, double post.

Mario-Rijo
11-20-2011, 09:06 AM
Assuming they'll take you there is no prohibition on joining multiple factions. Membership has consequences, though. I won't spoil it for you but suffice it to say one decision you can make will completely alter the way some groups view you.

I have an idea of what that one might be. My gut kept me from taking the plunge initially as I thought this might be a possibility, that others would sense it or know it and hold it against you. I didn't want things to get hairy with the rest of the factions. So far so good.

Mario-Rijo
11-20-2011, 09:09 AM
The maps this go around are really geared toward the fast run and gun type player. Not a lot of long sight lines for sniping or those places slower players like me (shameless campers) can hunker down and pick people off.

A nice change is that you have point streaks instead of just kill streaks now, and shooting down aircraft counts toward a point streak.

I hate to hear that ORH, I am a bit of a camper myself at times. I have a tough time playing the same way all the time. I tend to play whichever style is best for the team I am playing at the moment or just like to change up the pace for fun at times. Also heard they got rid of the Dogs which stinks I really loved to watch the dogs dominate.

I'll be getting it for Christmas though and i'll catch a few of ya online (PS3 - JWILL35).

top6
11-21-2011, 03:57 PM
So I have never been that serious of a video game person since I was a kid, unless you count spending literally 4+ hours a day my senior year of college mastering NHL Hockey on the Sega Genesis. And buying a Game Cube a bit later and TOTALLY mastering Diddy Kong Racing (god I was so good at that game. And leading a Bengals franchise in Madden to multiple Super Bowls and undefeated seasons.

But I have some spare time on my hands these days and was thinking of buying a new system. I have a good friend cross-country who has a PS3, so that seems ideal as we could play each other. Multiple stores are offering a 160 GB PS3 with the games LittleBigPlanet 2 and Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One for $199. Any thoughts on if this is a good deal (even though I have no particular interest in either of those games)? Anyone know of any better deals, or would anyone strongly recommend another system? I would probably buy the latest Madden and this Skyrim game I've heard so much about as well, and do very little this weekend outside of play video games. (I guess I am trying to relive my college experience.)

Stray
11-23-2011, 11:57 PM
So I have never been that serious of a video game person since I was a kid, unless you count spending literally 4+ hours a day my senior year of college mastering NHL Hockey on the Sega Genesis. And buying a Game Cube a bit later and TOTALLY mastering Diddy Kong Racing (god I was so good at that game. And leading a Bengals franchise in Madden to multiple Super Bowls and undefeated seasons.

But I have some spare time on my hands these days and was thinking of buying a new system. I have a good friend cross-country who has a PS3, so that seems ideal as we could play each other. Multiple stores are offering a 160 GB PS3 with the games LittleBigPlanet 2 and Ratchet & Clank: All 4 One for $199. Any thoughts on if this is a good deal (even though I have no particular interest in either of those games)? Anyone know of any better deals, or would anyone strongly recommend another system? I would probably buy the latest Madden and this Skyrim game I've heard so much about as well, and do very little this weekend outside of play video games. (I guess I am trying to relive my college experience.)

Yeah that's a pretty sweet deal for the price. There might also be some deals on Playstation Move bundles which are really fun if you think you'd like that. PS3's are awesome since they also double as a blu ray player as well.

As far as games go, the Uncharted series is a Playstation exclusive. They're so good it's almost worth buying the console just for them. It's kinda a modern day Indiana Jones that plays out like a movie. If adventure games with a good story are your kinda thing you'd love it. Of that series you can't go wrong with 2 or 3 (just started on 3 not too long ago, but played enough to say it's awesome) Also, MLB the Show is a Playstation exclusive and is by far my favorite of all of the baseball games. I have Skyrim on my PC so I can't comment on how well it plays out on a PS3, but it's a lotta fun in a time sink kinda way.

Ohayou
11-24-2011, 12:18 AM
Has anyone played the new GoldenEye yet? :o

top6
11-29-2011, 09:55 AM
Thanks for the advice everyone. I went ahead and bought the $199 PS3 bundle on Black Friday. Well worth it so far. I also bought Madden 2012, and I picked up a used copy of Modern Warfare 2 (as I wasn't sure if I would like first person shooters). I cannot believe how video games have changed. I have mostly played Modern Warfare, and it is taking me a while just to get used to the controller, lol.

I also bought Skyrim but have not opened it yet, as it seems as if it will be the time suck to end all time sucks.

AmarilloRed
11-30-2011, 05:18 PM
There's a bug involved with the new Skyrim patch for computer and Xbox-it negatively effects your resistances. I don't have Skyrim yet, I 'm getting it for Christmas.

MikeThierry
12-20-2011, 01:07 PM
While I'm continuing to play Skyrim, my focus has gone to the new Star Wars game. Thus far the game is excellent. I love the fact that everything is voice acted instead of having to read what your mision is, etc. It's not that I don't mind reading but it just adds a different dynamic to the game. At first, I thought the way the graphics were layed out, it was going to be cartoonish but once I got into the game, the graphics are amazing. The action is really good and the worlds are massive.

The two downsides are that you have to pay monthly and the character creation leaves a little to be desired. That said, the price per month isn't a whole lot. Think of it as not going out for a meal or two per month. When putting in perspective to what else you do for entertainment on a monthly basis, it is a good way to spend your entertainment money. I would highly suggest trying it out.

Caveat Emperor
12-20-2011, 06:02 PM
While I'm continuing to play Skyrim, my focus has gone to the new Star Wars game. Thus far the game is excellent. I love the fact that everything is voice acted instead of having to read what your mision is, etc. It's not that I don't mind reading but it just adds a different dynamic to the game. At first, I thought the way the graphics were layed out, it was going to be cartoonish but once I got into the game, the graphics are amazing. The action is really good and the worlds are massive.

The two downsides are that you have to pay monthly and the character creation leaves a little to be desired. That said, the price per month isn't a whole lot. Think of it as not going out for a meal or two per month. When putting in perspective to what else you do for entertainment on a monthly basis, it is a good way to spend your entertainment money. I would highly suggest trying it out.

Is the solo content worth buying? Because I could honestly see myself picking the game up, paying for a while, and then just selling / deactivating my account if the game is legitimately good enough as a single player experience.

MikeThierry
12-20-2011, 06:35 PM
Is the solo content worth buying? Because I could honestly see myself picking the game up, paying for a while, and then just selling / deactivating my account if the game is legitimately good enough as a single player experience.

I guess I'm not understanding the question. It's an MMO so there is no single player content to where you can play off line. That is the downside to this game. It isn't like the original Knights of the Old Republic in that regard.

Now if you are talking about soloing within the game, there is plenty of content to do by yourself that you will keep busy for a long time. I just bought the game so I don't know about the content once you get to the later levels of 30-50. However, there seems to be tons to do whether you like to group with people, play on your own. or pvp. Plus, if you get bored with one side such as the Jedi, you can go play Sith and have a totally different experience with completely different missions.

wolfboy
12-21-2011, 09:18 AM

Since it's an MMO, there's no solo content per se. You have to log onto Bioware's servers to play the game. That being said, a lot of the game plays like a single player game. The best part of the game is that you can really immerse yourself in the story. The stories are a lot of fun to go through, and it has a lot of KOTOR like elements. So far, it seems like you can navigate a lot of the story without having to group with other characters. From an early point in the game, you get a "companion" that tags along with you throughout your gameplay. That helps solo play since the game provides a built in buddy. If you enjoyed KOTOR, I'd recommend the game. Like any Bioware game, it's story driven and they've intentionally avoided the "grinding" elements of most other MMOs.

MikeThierry
12-21-2011, 01:23 PM
Since it's an MMO, there's no solo content per se. You have to log onto Bioware's servers to play the game. That being said, a lot of the game plays like a single player game. The best part of the game is that you can really immerse yourself in the story. The stories are a lot of fun to go through, and it has a lot of KOTOR like elements. So far, it seems like you can navigate a lot of the story without having to group with other characters. From an early point in the game, you get a "companion" that tags along with you throughout your gameplay. That helps solo play since the game provides a built in buddy. If you enjoyed KOTOR, I'd recommend the game. Like any Bioware game, it's story driven and they've intentionally avoided the "grinding" elements of most other MMOs.

Totally agree with your analysis here, wolfboy. It just doesn't feel like a grind and it feels like you are accomplishing something. Unlike in many MMO's there is a central storyline, much like there was in Knights of the Old Republic. Another thing I discovered last night was the space battle aspect to it. Seeing the previews earlier this year, I thought it was going to be cheesy and arcade like. Boy was I wrong. They are a ton of fun. You can even upgrade your ship to make it better in combat.

Caveat Emperor
12-21-2011, 01:40 PM

That's more what I was referring to -- from the sounds of things (fully voiced story, branches in plotlines based on choices) it looks like there's an actual KOTOR "game" buried in the MMO garbage. If that's the case, and there's enough content to get by without having to group up or do silly MMO stuff, I might be intrigued enough to buy the game, subscribe for a month or so to do all the solo content, and then dump my subscription after I've played through everything.

Really, I just want KOTOR 3. If I can get the equivalent of that, I might throw down for a monthly fee for as long as it takes to do everything in the game.

wolfboy
12-21-2011, 02:17 PM
That's more what I was referring to -- from the sounds of things (fully voiced story, branches in plotlines based on choices) it looks like there's an actual KOTOR "game" buried in the MMO garbage. If that's the case, and there's enough content to get by without having to group up or do silly MMO stuff, I might be intrigued enough to buy the game, subscribe for a month or so to do all the solo content, and then dump my subscription after I've played through everything.

Really, I just want KOTOR 3. If I can get the equivalent of that, I might throw down for a monthly fee for as long as it takes to do everything in the game.

Not sure what you mean by the "silly MMO stuff," but as I mentioned, there's little (so far) in the way of grinding for hours. The story moves along quite well, and most of the crafting/gathering type stuff is handled by your companions. On the other hand, if you just can't stand grouping with other people, then maybe it wont' be your thing. I think for an MMO, the need to group is at a minimum. That being said, it's still an MMO.

There absolutely is a KOTOR game hidden in there. In fact, I'd hardly call it hidden, as it's standard Bioware fare a la KOTOR, Dragon Age and Mass Effect, just in an MMO format. I understand your suspicion since it's an MMO, but I think it's worth a shot if you were a big fan of KOTOR. It's a great game that you can take at your own pace and really immerse yourself in the story of your character.

One other thought: since the game is in its early stages, it may behoove you to wait until they iron out some of the bugs/kinks. MMO launches can be messy and TOR is no exception. I've seen a lot of little bugs similar to what some have reported for Skyrim.

MikeThierry
12-21-2011, 02:33 PM
One other thought: since the game is in its early stages, it may behoove you to wait until they iron out some of the bugs/kinks. MMO launches can be messy and TOR is no exception. I've seen a lot of little bugs similar to what some have reported for Skyrim.

I doubt you will find an epic giant glitch in TOR, lol :

Skyrim giants don't mess with them. - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e9VAGqVDopk&feature=related)

izzy's dad
12-29-2011, 10:10 AM
Just started playing Zelda: Skyward Sword. Pretty good so far. Using the Wii motion controls is a pain, but after a while you forget you are waving your arm about like a maniac, and just enjoy the Zelda experience.

Redsfan320
12-29-2011, 06:12 PM
Anyone played The Old Republic? Is it worth the cost?

cinreds21
12-30-2011, 06:29 AM

I really thought that looked interesting, but I don't really play computer games and I have a Mac so I couldn't even think about trying it. I hope it is good though.

wolfboy
12-30-2011, 10:07 AM

I've loved it so far. It don't think it's for everyone, but if you enjoyed the KOTOR games or Bioware games in general (Dragon Age, Mass Effect), you should enjoy TOR.

Redsfan320
12-30-2011, 11:07 AM
I've loved it so far. It don't think it's for everyone, but if you enjoyed the KOTOR games or Bioware games in general (Dragon Age, Mass Effect), you should enjoy TOR.

Loved both KotORs, and I wouldn't mind forking over the $60, but the $15/month makes me hesitant on this one.

MikeThierry
12-30-2011, 05:44 PM
TOR is one of the most fun games I have played in a while. If you can spare $15 a month to play a game, I would highly recommend it.

wolfboy
12-30-2011, 10:34 PM
Loved both KotORs, and I wouldn't mind forking over the $60, but the $15/month makes me hesitant on this one.

I guess that's the rub if you're not an MMO player. The teamwork and social aspects are great. Mike and I have been playing together with a small group of my friends from past games. When things get tough in the game, there's always someone there to help you out. IMHO that's a great aspect of MMO games, but they're not for everyone.

MikeThierry
12-30-2011, 11:05 PM
I guess that's the rub if you're not an MMO player. The teamwork and social aspects are great. Mike and I have been playing together with a small group of my friends from past games. When things get tough in the game, there's always someone there to help you out. IMHO that's a great aspect of MMO games, but they're not for everyone.

The other good thing about this MMO is Thirsty Thursday, haha :laugh:

izzy's dad
01-02-2012, 02:28 PM
I played The Old Republic almost all weekend. Very good game. My video card blows, I had to play on slightly above the lowest settings. I will need to remedy this, as I plan on playing this game a lot. 15$ is a bit steep, but it is worth it if you are a Star Wars fan.

code
01-03-2012, 10:19 AM
This is sorta "video-game" related but just wanted to share a website of some really cool Reds stuff for Video Game Consoles.

I just ordered a "skin" for my Xbox that features the Reds home uniform pin strip. They have about 6 others as well.

http://www.skinit.com/details.php?resourceId=11199
&
http://www.skinit.com/details.php?resourceId=11311

Or skin your ps3,iphone,ipad.. etc.. enjoy!

MADE IN USA!

Caveman Techie
01-03-2012, 01:21 PM

How much entertainment value do you get out of 15$? Well you could go to one movie, matinee and get a soda, no popcorn. So there is 2 hours of entertainment.

With an MMO I get an entire month of playing with my friends online, which is significantly more time than 2 hours. Just one way of looking at it.

MikeThierry
01-04-2012, 09:43 PM
I played The Old Republic almost all weekend. Very good game. My video card blows, I had to play on slightly above the lowest settings. I will need to remedy this, as I plan on playing this game a lot. 15$ is a bit steep, but it is worth it if you are a Star Wars fan.

I'm with you there. I'm planning on getting a new video card this month sometime. I need a new one anyway but my framerate drops when I do PVP in the game. As good time as ever to get a new card.

code
01-22-2012, 09:31 AM
This is sorta "video-game" related but just wanted to share a website of some really cool Reds stuff for Video Game Consoles.

I just ordered a "skin" for my Xbox that features the Reds home uniform pin strip. They have about 6 others as well.

http://www.skinit.com/details.php?resourceId=11199
&
http://www.skinit.com/details.php?resourceId=11311

Or skin your ps3,iphone,ipad.. etc.. enjoy!

MADE IN USA!

Well, since none of you responded to my awesome post. I will now make you all jealous!

http://a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ak-snc7/406250_338899706134951_100000447734694_1146509_660 473490_n.jpg

It makes my Reds room look even better! (notice my official reds wall paint in the background) ha-ha

KronoRed
01-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Nice.

izzy's dad
02-19-2012, 07:38 AM
Anyone else been playing Kingdom of Amalur Reckoning? I think it is good, the gameplay is solid, God of War almost in the way it plays, but the story is just meh. Also, MLB The Show comes out next month, I will disappear into the abyss that is my couch and play this game until I develop blood clots.

MikeThierry
02-20-2012, 11:58 AM
Anyone else been playing Kingdom of Amalur Reckoning? I think it is good, the gameplay is solid, God of War almost in the way it plays, but the story is just meh. Also, MLB The Show comes out next month, I will disappear into the abyss that is my couch and play this game until I develop blood clots.

I have been playing Kingdom's of Amalur. For a RPG, the game play is spectacular. As you pointed out, the story leaves a little to be desired. Still, there is a ton of content and just like Skyrim, this game is at least a 70-80+ hour game. Well worth a rent at least.

What I found interesting about it is that Curt Shilling is the owner of the company that created Kingdom's of Amalur. This is Studio 38's first big game. If Amalur is a hint of what is to come from Shilling and Studio 38, they should be a successful video game company for a long time.

izzy's dad
02-20-2012, 01:37 PM
I have been playing Kingdom's of Amalur. For a RPG, the game play is spectacular. As you pointed out, the story leaves a little to be desired. Still, there is a ton of content and just like Skyrim, this game is at least a 70-80+ hour game. Well worth a rent at least.

What I found interesting about it is that Curt Shilling is the owner of the company that created Kingdom's of Amalur. This is Studio 38's first big game. If Amalur is a hint of what is to come from Shilling and Studio 38, they should be a successful video game company for a long time.

I like it. The combat is great, but the story is just so blah. Games like Chrono Trigger, Xenogears, and Wild Arms spoiled RPG strorylines for me forever. I do like the massive amount of content, I feel like it is worth a couple playthroughs. Solid game overall. I think this type of game would have been perfect for a Game of Thrones license.

Caveat Emperor
02-20-2012, 01:50 PM
Most modern RPGs don't appeal to me for this very reason -- overloaded with content but weak central story. I'd honestly rather play a 20-30 hour game with a great story than a 100+ hour game that has endless amounts of content and side quests but a blah plot.

MikeThierry
02-20-2012, 02:35 PM
Most modern RPGs don't appeal to me for this very reason -- overloaded with content but weak central story. I'd honestly rather play a 20-30 hour game with a great story than a 100+ hour game that has endless amounts of content and side quests but a blah plot.

I would suggest going with Draggon Age and Knights of the Old Republic if you want great story lines.

Caveat Emperor
02-20-2012, 02:40 PM
I would suggest going with Draggon Age and Knights of the Old Republic if you want great story lines.

Loved KOTOR -- probably the last great RPG that I played.

izzy's dad
02-20-2012, 03:01 PM

I agree 100%. For me there will never be another Xenogears. I think we have had this discussion before, but the well written RPG that is 60+ hours long is a thing of the past. And it is a damn shame.

Yachtzee
02-20-2012, 07:31 PM
Been playing Forza Motorsport 4 and FIFA 12 lately. Both great games if you're into racing/sports games. The nice thing about them is that I can jump in and work in a quick game between my wife's tv shows and the boys playing the LEGO series. With 3 kids, I don't have time for the grind of RPGs and shooters.

Degenerate39
02-23-2012, 05:07 PM
Anyone else excited for Mass Effect 3?

juvey21
02-23-2012, 05:43 PM
HUGE Call of Duty fan. Almost to 10th prestige. :beerme:

wolfboy
02-24-2012, 08:50 AM
Anyone else excited for Mass Effect 3?

You bet. If I could ever find the time, I've been meaning to play through 1&2 before 3 comes out. Looks like I won't be able to do that before launch, but oh well.

MikeThierry
02-24-2012, 04:24 PM
You bet. If I could ever find the time, I've been meaning to play through 1&2 before 3 comes out. Looks like I won't be able to do that before launch, but oh well.

I'm really excited about this game. This is another video game where the story is very good, in my opinion.

wolfboy
02-24-2012, 04:44 PM
I'm really excited about this game. This is another video game where the story is very good, in my opinion.

It's my favorite video game franchise out there. I hope ME3 doesn't disappoint.

MikeThierry
02-26-2012, 04:07 PM
It's my favorite video game franchise out there. I hope ME3 doesn't disappoint.

The only thing I was disappointed over ME2 from the original was the inventory selection. I liked the fact that there were so many options to choose from in ME1 as far as loading out your weapon. They oversimplified ME2 in this regard.

RedsManRick
02-26-2012, 08:22 PM
The only thing I was disappointed over ME2 from the original was the inventory selection. I liked the fact that there were so many options to choose from in ME1 as far as loading out your weapon. They oversimplified ME2 in this regard.

As a PS3 guy, I never played the first ME, but I was definitely disappointed in the gear in ME2. There was virtually no difference other than appearance in the armors and I got my primary weapon like 1/4 way in to the game.

MikeThierry
02-27-2012, 12:34 PM
As a PS3 guy, I never played the first ME, but I was definitely disappointed in the gear in ME2. There was virtually no difference other than appearance in the armors and I got my primary weapon like 1/4 way in to the game.

In my opinion, ME1 was light years ahead of ME2 in the inventory department. In ME1, it's not that the guns looked different but there seemed to be thousands of different modding combinations you could do.

I would highly suggest playing ME1 as well. I think it has a slightly better storyline than ME2. ME1, the whole game is more of a mystery the majority of the time. Who are the reapers? etc. ME2, the reapers are a known quantity and there wasn't that advantage of discovery the first game provided.

wolfboy
02-29-2012, 01:47 PM
Is anyone interested in Diablo 3? As far as I know, they haven't announced a launch date yet, but I believe they're targeting Q2. I'm on the fence on this one...

MikeThierry
02-29-2012, 02:12 PM
Is anyone interested in Diablo 3? As far as I know, they haven't announced a launch date yet, but I believe they're targeting Q2. I'm on the fence on this one...

I've never really been a fan of the Diablo series for some reason. It has always seemed cheesy to me and I don't like the game mechanics.

izzy's dad
02-29-2012, 02:35 PM
Just got back from Gamestop. Reserved The Show, and Tales of Graces. Can't wait-Bart Scott voice

Caveat Emperor
02-29-2012, 05:14 PM

The franchise was a weird waypoint in RPG gaming that functioned in the empty space between the jRPGs, which dominated console RPG-gaming in the 90s, and early computer MMORPGS like Ultima Online and Everquest.

With the rise of the Western RPG (like Skyrim, Mass Effect and Dragon Age) and the proliferation of MMORPGS, I don't know that there's really a hardcore audience for Diablo any longer.

WMR
02-29-2012, 06:26 PM
There's a HUGE, hardcore audience for Diablo III.

That game will be a HUGE hit, guaranteed.

Ohayou
02-29-2012, 06:51 PM

This.

Blizzard Entertainment owns the computer gaming world.

wolfboy
03-01-2012, 08:18 AM

Seconded.

CE, I'll have to respectfully say you're way off on this one.

Caveat Emperor
03-01-2012, 11:16 AM
Seconded.

CE, I'll have to respectfully say you're way off on this one.

I don't follow computer games as closely as I do console -- I just don't sense a lot of buzz for Diablo on the gaming sites I do read. Certainly not to the level there was for The Old Republic or Skyrim as they were in development.

It's Blizzard, so there's a certain amount of guaranteed popularity -- but I remember people losing their minds over Diablo II back in the day.

RedsManRick
03-01-2012, 12:06 PM

I'm a big Diablo 3 fan -- really looking forward to it. But I don't think people should expect anything hugely different. It's basically just bigger and badder.

wolfboy
03-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I don't follow computer games as closely as I do console -- I just don't sense a lot of buzz for Diablo on the gaming sites I do read. Certainly not to the level there was for The Old Republic or Skyrim as they were in development.

It's Blizzard, so there's a certain amount of guaranteed popularity -- but I remember people losing their minds over Diablo II back in the day.

Blizzard hasn't done themselves any favors in waiting 10+ years to release the third installment. That being said, I think the buzz will be huge once they finally announce a launch date.

wolfboy
03-01-2012, 12:20 PM
I'm a big Diablo 3 fan -- really looking forward to it. But I don't think people should expect anything hugely different. It's basically just bigger and badder.

That's my hope. I do have concerns about how true they will stay to the original franchise. The real money auction house concerns me as well.

Jpup
03-05-2012, 10:13 PM
Show time!

izzy's dad
03-06-2012, 10:07 AM
Picking up The Show 12 tomorrow after work. I am pumped.

sonny
03-06-2012, 01:52 PM
With the lack of a PS3 I am stuck with 2k12 for my baseball gaming. The early reports are that it is not the most attractive game around, but it is smooth and immersive. We'll see, but since this is probably the last year for exclusivity, hello MVP 2013!

WMR
03-06-2012, 03:55 PM
Starting ME3 ...

Got a PlayStation Vita... what an awesome device, and there are some really good games out for it now as well. I think it will end up more successful than PSP.

top6
03-06-2012, 08:48 PM
I'm no Cubs fan, but this commercial for The Show is awesome.

"Cubs Win" MLB 12 The Show Full Length Commercial - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVGAfA15U1I)

Someone involved in making that lived on the North Side of Chicago, because that is EXACTLY what it will like if that horrible event were to ever take place.

Ohayou
03-07-2012, 02:28 AM
That Steve Bartman shot was cool.

:36 had me scared for a moment. I thought that was a little girl. :laugh:

OldRightHander
03-07-2012, 11:05 AM
I haven't picked up The Show yet. I've been playing FIFA 12 quite a bit lately when I have the time, which is about an hour at the end of the day.

MikeThierry
03-07-2012, 12:57 PM
Starting ME3 ...

Got a PlayStation Vita... what an awesome device, and there are some really good games out for it now as well. I think it will end up more successful than PSP.

I started ME3 as well. From what I saw so far (about an hour in), I like it. It runs smooth on my computer, the mechanics seem really cool, and I'm glad they are bringing back Ashley Williams. I also like some of the stuff they added to combat. The melee system is really cool and the surroundings seem to be more interactive. The Allusive Man storyline is still good as ever in my opinion. It looks like a heavily story driven game and they went back to the formula that made ME1 so great. Thus far, I can't see a whole lot of wrong. I can give a more clear picture hour 10+

EDIT: I would also like to add that the Reaper invasion of Earth was amazing. Unlike the other ME games, the action starts right away and there is really no mystery about what you need to accomplish within the game.

izzy's dad
03-08-2012, 10:48 AM
The Show '12 is awesome. The only thing that bugs me about the game is the lack of upgrades in Road to the Show mode. Everything else is great. Worth the 60$.

UFC Undisputed 3 is not worth 60$. Rent it from Gamefly or Blockbuster, but don't waste you entertainment dollars on this game.

Tales of Graces F is out this coming Tuesday. As a fan of the Tales series I am pumped.

Ownagedood
03-10-2012, 09:27 AM
Hey guys, I've never played The Show before, I played 2k11 last year and was really happy with it. But I've heard mixed reviews from 2k12 and am wondering which is better. I'm about to buy one of them, probably today..Should I get 2k12 or is The Show better? This is on Xbox 360 if that matters. I have the PS3 if its worth switching but i normally buy xbox. I have no experience with The Show and am pretty comfortable with how 2k11 was setup but am not afraid of change if The Show is better. Thanks!

cinredsfan2000
03-10-2012, 09:46 AM
The show is a PS3 exclusive title .

Ownagedood
03-10-2012, 09:56 AM
The show is a PS3 exclusive title .

Ya I have the PS3 as well I just don't use it that often. I normally choose to buy the Xbox version of games instead.. So I guess what im asking is if The Show is a game I should side with to buy on my PS3, instead of buying 2k12 on the 360?

From reading reviews it seems The Show is the better game.

Caveat Emperor
03-10-2012, 05:13 PM
Ya I have the PS3 as well I just don't use it that often. I normally choose to buy the Xbox version of games instead.. So I guess what im asking is if The Show is a game I should side with to buy on my PS3, instead of buying 2k12 on the 360?

From reading reviews it seems The Show is the better game.

Unless things have changed radically for the 2K series, The Show is a light-years better product.

reds1869
03-10-2012, 06:50 PM
Unless things have changed radically for the 2K series, The Show is a light-years better product.

I haven't played The Show this year (dead PS3), but 2K12 is extremely good, at least if you are willing to use a good set of sliders (mkharsh makes the best imo). The graphics are second rate but the game play is flat out fun and so far the typical game-killing bugs 2K is known for are not present. The presentation is also excellent; the commentators are amazing.

Redsfan320
03-10-2012, 07:08 PM
I haven't played The Show this year (dead PS3)

You too? I have the game, but am still waiting on the power supply. :(

brad1176
03-12-2012, 09:06 PM
My wonderful wife just came home and surprised me with MLB 2K12! There seems to several changes, I'll update when I get a chance to play it.

MikeThierry
03-14-2012, 01:04 PM
I have played ME3 enough to give my full opinion on it. I believe it is the best Mass Effect game I have played. No other Mass Effect story have I connected with the characters more than in the 3rd instalment. The story is very good. For those who want RPG's that are story driven, this is the game for you. I would go so far to say that the story and character development are the best BioWare have brought to us since the original Knights of the Old Republic.

The graphics are pretty good but the scope is huge. There are some scenes in the game where it almost leaves your jaw wide open. For example, there is scene in which a thrasher maw has a fight with a reaper ship. That was an example of how large in scope this game can get.

I have also heard that many people did not like the ending. I haven't reached that point yet in the game so I can't give my opinion of it. That said, regardless of the ending the game is fully worth getting and the ending won't take away my feeling about the game. It's just that good in my opinion.

wolfboy
06-07-2013, 02:29 PM
Has anyone tried Bioshock: Infinite? Gamefly has it for a tempting $28 this weekend. Kind of surprised it would be that low already.

reds1869
06-11-2013, 09:26 AM
Has anyone tried Bioshock: Infinite? Gamefly has it for a tempting $28 this weekend. Kind of surprised it would be that low already.

Run to get it. Most immersive game I've played in a while. My wife actually watches me play it.

coachpipe
06-11-2013, 09:36 AM
My wonderful wife just came home and surprised me with MLB 2K12! There seems to several changes, I'll update when I get a chance to play it.

For all the RAVE about MLB The Show. I think it sucks. 2K was a much more fun game. The pitching options on The Show are awful. You are limited to either using the buttons(easy and boring) or the stick. But not like the 2K stick. The 2k stick is tricky and challenging and MORE fun than the Show stick where you just go up and down..boring..the SHOW sucks and i hate that I bought it because all the "gamer geeks" have said it is better

wolfboy
06-11-2013, 11:07 AM
Run to get it. Most immersive game I've played in a while. My wife actually watches me play it.

Shoot. Didn't pull the trigger last weekend. I'll be sure to pick it up next time it goes on sale.

reds1869
06-11-2013, 08:39 PM
For all the RAVE about MLB The Show. I think it sucks. 2K was a much more fun game. The pitching options on The Show are awful. You are limited to either using the buttons(easy and boring) or the stick. But not like the 2K stick. The 2k stick is tricky and challenging and MORE fun than the Show stick where you just go up and down..boring..the SHOW sucks and i hate that I bought it because all the "gamer geeks" have said it is better

Of course there is the slight advantage that The Show produces something resembling actual baseball. I will say I love 2K's pitching system, but the rest of their game is horrendous.

AmarilloRed
08-21-2013, 08:48 PM
I wish Drew Stubbs had been as good in real life as the Show made him in '12. He actually developed to an A overall in my recent franchise.Never seen that before, in '11 usually was a B before regressing.

reds1869
08-21-2013, 08:52 PM
I've been on a real Skyrim kick lately. That game just never gets old.

nate
08-21-2013, 09:11 PM
I've been playing Borderlands 2 since Christmas.

It has all the mindlessness of Crackdown with strategy.

CoachBombay
08-22-2013, 10:18 AM
Ive been playing a lot of College Hoops 2k8 with the updated 2012-2013 rosters....such a great game...I hate everyone and anything involved in there not being college basketball video games anymore...

wolfboy
08-24-2013, 05:45 PM
I've been on a real Skyrim kick lately. That game just never gets old.

I just snagged all the DLC. Back I go!

reds1869
08-25-2013, 03:46 PM
I just snagged all the DLC. Back I go!

Dawnguard is a blast. I won't give any spoilers other than to say measure your choices carefully.

Orenda
02-05-2014, 11:16 PM
for the sake of wasted free time, I must acquire this game, apparently available for playstation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFKTOWxxNUg

reds1869
02-11-2014, 05:57 PM
for the sake of wasted free time, I must acquire this game, apparently available for playstation.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TFKTOWxxNUg

It is well worth the money. The language barrier is not too bad, especially with the help of the spiritstranslation website.

Yachtzee
02-13-2014, 12:35 PM
Anyone else been taking advantage of Xbox's Games for Gold program? I've picked up Sleeping Dogs, Lara Craft: Guardian of Light, and Dead Island for free. I only wish I had gotten on it sooner. They've made some pretty decent games available for free download.