PDA

View Full Version : The Unofficial Video Game & System Thread (Part III)

Pages : [1] 2

Caveat Emperor
06-21-2010, 07:04 PM
Continuing discussion from here: http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=73432

not really. It's just a poorly designed game. A bad interface, which is troubling for a game that has to revolve entirely around just that. The trading AI is garbage too, and it's just not very deep in features

sonny
06-21-2010, 07:10 PM
I picked up MLB 2k10 after letting some dust settle on it. After the newest patch, it's a solid title. My Player mode is tons of fun and the MLB today feature has got to be one of the coolest things I've seen in a video game in a long time.

Redsfan320
06-21-2010, 07:23 PM
Is Front Office Manager really as bad as the scores it got from review sites? Particularly the Windows version?

Degenerate39
06-21-2010, 07:34 PM
Is Front Office Manager really as bad as the scores it got from review sites? Particularly the Windows version?

Yes. Horrible

Redsfan320
06-21-2010, 08:49 PM
Yes. Horrible

Darn. Looked like the kind of game I would really like.

What's bad about it?

Degenerate39
06-21-2010, 09:41 PM
Darn. Looked like the kind of game I would really like.

What's bad about it?

It's been a while since I even played it so my memory is kind of hazy. If you can find it for about 10 bucks it might be worth a try.

Redsfan320
06-21-2010, 10:01 PM
It's been a while since I even played it so my memory is kind of hazy. If you can find it for about 10 bucks it might be worth a try.

Ha-ha. HA-HA-HA-HA!!! Try THIRTY BUCKS on Gamestop.com.

WMR
06-21-2010, 10:04 PM
buy it used from gs and if you don't like it you can return it for a refund within a week

Redsfan320
06-22-2010, 10:46 AM
buy it used from gs and if you don't like it you can return it for a refund within a week

This is true. I may have to do that.

Eric_the_Red
06-22-2010, 12:40 PM
So I just got a PS3 and need some advice. I love playing Madden but don't know whether to buy Madden 10 used, or wait until Madden 11 comes out in August. Can I just get Madden 10 used and update the rosters? Or are there changes coming to 11 that I should wait for?

Or should I just get both?

Degenerate39
06-22-2010, 09:02 PM
So I just got a PS3 and need some advice. I love playing Madden but don't know whether to buy Madden 10 used, or wait until Madden 11 comes out in August. Can I just get Madden 10 used and update the rosters? Or are there changes coming to 11 that I should wait for?

Or should I just get both?

Depends on how much you can get Madden 10 for. With Madden 11 coming out soon I think it would be best to just wait for that one

HumnHilghtFreel
06-22-2010, 09:18 PM
I just spent more on a video capture card than I did on my system :lol:

Bought an HD capture box, and HD video editing software, so I can get higher quality footage of myself playing. It seems lame, but this has become one of my favorite hobbies

WMR
06-22-2010, 09:19 PM
My advice would be to wait 2 weeks until NCAA 11 drops, get your immediate fix with that, then pick up Madden 11 in August.

WMR
06-22-2010, 09:20 PM
I just spent more on a video capture card than I did on my system :lol:

Bought an HD capture box, and HD video editing software, so I can get higher quality footage of myself playing. It seems lame, but this has become one of my favorite hobbies

What games do you like to showcase? Have a few links of stuff you're most proud of?

WMR
06-22-2010, 09:21 PM
I'd like to be able to post a video of my homosexual love scene in Dragon Age: Origins. :D

HumnHilghtFreel
06-22-2010, 09:31 PM
What games do you like to showcase? Have a few links of stuff you're most proud of?

FPS and Fighting games. I've only really done Modern Warfare 2 so far, but my capture card I have now is standard def and I'm not thrilled with the quality.

YouTube - Awesome Modern Warfare 2 Knife Montage Part 2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ndPOiRUe86I) here's one of the videos I've done.

I should have my new HD one in a few days and I'll be getting a lot more serious with the gameplay

WMR
06-22-2010, 09:42 PM
pretty badass. make sure to post some of ur hd vids

Eric_the_Red
06-23-2010, 06:50 AM
My advice would be to wait 2 weeks until NCAA 11 drops, get your immediate fix with that, then pick up Madden 11 in August.

Not a bad idea.

I ended up just buying a used copy of Force Unleashed at the recommendation of a buddy. I usually stick to sports games and Guitar Hero/Rock Band, but this game seems good so far. I get a little annoyed at having to control the camera, but I think I will stick with it.

I also reserved my copy of Madden 11. If Force Unleashed doesn't keep my attention until then, I may get NCAA 11.

reds1869
06-26-2010, 10:47 PM
It finally happened: my PS3 got the dreaded YLOD. I was watching a Blu-Ray when out of nowhere, poof. A sad day. I'm down to just the reliable old Wii after both my PS3 and 360 bit it. The Wii was bought before either one and has outlived them both. Sad, really: I ventilate my systems well, I keep them clean, I don't move them around and I play for limited periods of time. And they still die. C'est la vie.

paintmered
06-26-2010, 11:00 PM
Curse you and your fantastic sales, Steam! Left for Dead 2 for $10? *reaches for his wallet*

Degenerate39
06-26-2010, 11:02 PM
I went to Gamestop and deserved one of the new Xbox 360s. Should be in next week so I'm excited.

Sean_CaseyRules
06-27-2010, 06:57 AM
Did you see the stunt that EA is pulling with their new games, about online play?!

Trying to squeeze every dollar outta us!!!

Caveat Emperor
06-27-2010, 12:17 PM
Did you see the stunt that EA is pulling with their new games, about online play?!

Trying to squeeze every dollar outta us!!!

It's not a "stunt" so much as it is the gaming industry finally fighting back against the money they're losing in the secondary (rental / used sales) market. Whenever you buy a used game from GameStop or elsewhere, EA and other publishers don't see a dime of it. They're attempting to mine some profitability out of that system. It's also a tacit acknowledgment by EA that they're losing a non-unsubstantial amount of money due to console game piracy. Despite Microsoft's best efforts, I know there are still a fair number of modded 360s on XBL and new games are still readily available on torrent channels the moment they're released.

To be honest, I'm kinda surprised that it's taken this long for them to do it. I think the "Free DLC w/ Purchase" titles (which GameStop was recently sued over -- for selling used copies of Dragon Age which bore advertisements on the package for free DLC that had already been used by the original owner) were the first salvo in this fight, and I expect most games will now feature things you can only get by buying the game new or by having a real copy of the game.

paintmered
06-27-2010, 01:23 PM
What is EA doing?

reds1869
06-27-2010, 02:16 PM
What is EA doing?

The first owner of an EA Sports title gets to play online for free. Everyone else has to pay $10 to add-on online play. It is to help replace lost revenue due to rentals, piracy and used game sales. I may be in the minority, but I don't mind. Buying games new helps support those who create them while buying used does not. I know it is easy to view EA as an evil monstrosity (and in many ways they are) but it is also easy to forget the game designers, artists and programmers who depend on sales royalties for their living.

KronoRed
06-27-2010, 04:21 PM
I know it is easy to view EA as an evil monstrosity (and in many ways they are) but it is also easy to forget the game designers, artists and programmers who depend on sales royalties for their living.

But those programmers have already gotten paid when the game first sold, to me this is no different then if I bought a car for $15k, sold it a year later for 8K and then the car maker made the new buyer pay before the engine would start.

I really don't buy the piracy argument, piracy is basically nonexistent on the PS3 and Wii and modding an Xbox is not as simple as running a pirated PC game where all you need is a cracked EXE.

Of course I never play online as most (nobody here I'm sure :D ) online gamers seem to be jackasses so this won't effect me at all.

RedsManRick
06-27-2010, 04:57 PM
I don't know many people who buy games used that they would have otherwise bought new. This is especially true with sports titles.

dougdirt
06-27-2010, 05:08 PM
I really don't buy the piracy argument, piracy is basically nonexistent on the PS3 and Wii and modding an Xbox is not as simple as running a pirated PC game where all you need is a cracked EXE.

You can rent/barrow games for the Wii and place them on a USB hard drive and then have them forever if you know what you are doing. It is VERY easy to pirate games on the Wii system.

OldRightHander
06-27-2010, 06:52 PM
Ok, I get home for a couple days and my wife is out of town visiting family in Virginia. I figure I have a bit of time to blow so I bring my PS3 in from the van to hook up in the house and the tv isn't recognizing the PS3 hooked up to the HDMI input when I plug it in. It's recognizing the DirecTV box through the same input, but when I hook the PS3 up there it's acting like there isn't even anything there. The tv I use in the van recognizes it fine.

KronoRed
06-27-2010, 07:12 PM
You can rent/barrow games for the Wii and place them on a USB hard drive and then have them forever if you know what you are doing. It is VERY easy to pirate games on the Wii system.

Hmm, good to know ;) My mistake.

ThornWithin81
06-27-2010, 07:27 PM
The problem is that EA's new system doesn't recognize a situation where, say, two brothers in the same household want to share one copy of a game they both play infrequently. One brother has to pay 10 dollars to go online. Not to mention that EA's system of "unlock codes" has been buggy in my experience. I had an unlock code when I bought Bad Company 2 new that somehow reset itself (removing content from my player profile)... and the code they gave me stayed "used".

What happens when I buy an EA Title at launch, play it for a week... have my code glitch out, and then the game asks me to pay 10 dollars to get online again? Hell, what happens to rental services now? If you want to rent an EA title to play online for a week you have to pay for the rental AND the 10 dollars to get online, even if you send it back within a few days?

This is rubbish. I generally don't jump on board the EA-hate wagon but I'm going to have to refrain from buying any new EA titles moving forward. Games are already too expensive as is. These companies make MASSIVE amounts of money selling a disc, some plastic and some paper for 60 dollars as is.

Give me a break.

ThornWithin81
06-27-2010, 07:28 PM
Ok, I get home for a couple days and my wife is out of town visiting family in Virginia. I figure I have a bit of time to blow so I bring my PS3 in from the van to hook up in the house and the tv isn't recognizing the PS3 hooked up to the HDMI input when I plug it in. It's recognizing the DirecTV box through the same input, but when I hook the PS3 up there it's acting like there isn't even anything there. The tv I use in the van recognizes it fine.

You probably need to reset the video settings. If you play the PS3 on a HiDef signal (say, 1080p... or whichever one is better) and then move it to a 1080i TV without changing the graphics in advance, you won't get a signal. The PS3 will still be broadcasting in a format that the second TV can't read.

Hence, no signal. Not sure if that relates to your problem though, but I've had it happen to me a few times.

OldRightHander
06-27-2010, 07:54 PM
You probably need to reset the video settings. If you play the PS3 on a HiDef signal (say, 1080p... or whichever one is better) and then move it to a 1080i TV without changing the graphics in advance, you won't get a signal. The PS3 will still be broadcasting in a format that the second TV can't read.

Hence, no signal. Not sure if that relates to your problem though, but I've had it happen to me a few times.

That did the trick. The tv I have in the van is a fairly new LED that supports full HD while the larger tv in the house is an older plasma that is only 720. I hooked it up to the LED and changed the manual setting to turn off the 1080 and that did it. Maybe it's time for a newer tv for the house.

KronoRed
06-27-2010, 09:25 PM
These companies make MASSIVE amounts of money selling a disc, some plastic and some paper for 60 dollars as is.

Give me a break.

Especially sports titles, 90 percent of the yearly changes being roster updates.

Caveat Emperor
06-27-2010, 11:28 PM
The problem is that EA's new system doesn't recognize a situation where, say, two brothers in the same household want to share one copy of a game they both play infrequently. One brother has to pay 10 dollars to go online. Not to mention that EA's system of "unlock codes" has been buggy in my experience. I had an unlock code when I bought Bad Company 2 new that somehow reset itself (removing content from my player profile)... and the code they gave me stayed "used".

What happens when I buy an EA Title at launch, play it for a week... have my code glitch out, and then the game asks me to pay 10 dollars to get online again? Hell, what happens to rental services now? If you want to rent an EA title to play online for a week you have to pay for the rental AND the 10 dollars to get online, even if you send it back within a few days?

This is rubbish. I generally don't jump on board the EA-hate wagon but I'm going to have to refrain from buying any new EA titles moving forward. Games are already too expensive as is. These companies make MASSIVE amounts of money selling a disc, some plastic and some paper for 60 dollars as is.

Give me a break.

If you look at the EA website (http://www.easports.com/onlinepass), it states:

Do I need to purchase an Online Pass when I rent a game?
Each Xbox LIVE gamertag or Sony PSN ID is entitled to a free 7 day trial per title. Beyond that, users will be required to redeem or purchase Online Pass access.

So they're at least cutting you some slack for people who want to rent the game and give it a try before they buy.

The access for each individual game is also tied to the gamertag or PSN ID, which means that you can re-download if you have some sort of problem. If there's a problem on EA's end, I don't know what the solution is.

The situation with "two brothers who share a game" sucks -- since it looks like they tie the online access to the individual gamertag. I think it'd be far better if they did it to the system, but I guess that's probably not possible. But, as far as I'm concerned, that isn't much of an issue since I don't share my Xbox with anyone else.

I can't fault EA for trying to keep their profits in-house. I expect this type of practice will become the norm for future Call of Duty / Halo type releases as well.

FutureRedsGM
06-28-2010, 10:37 PM
I'm thinking of listing my PS3 on craigslist and I was looking to get a little help from you "experts" on the value. I have one of the original 20 gig PS3s. I know that's not as nice as the 80 gigs or the newer slim models. However, it does have the benefit of backwards compatibility. I see all models of PS3s selling on craigslist (where I'll be attempting to sell mine) for anywhere from $200 - $300. What's a fair asking price for mine? It's in perfect working condition and includes the original controller as well as an additional "off-brand" controller. Are there other features / selling points of the 20 gig model that I'm not thinking about? Thanks again for your help.

jmcclain19
07-02-2010, 05:05 PM
Redsfan320 - FO Manager isn't awful if you only have a console, but if you have a PC - Baseball Mogul & especially OOTP blow it away

jmcclain19
07-02-2010, 05:07 PM
As far as the EA Sports thing goes - Honestly if you buy the games new, it doesn't affect you one bit.

EA does need to work out their code system though for that if its going to continue - the Mass Effect 2 code system was a botched steaming pile of you know what.

And if they are making it a code system, they need to make sure that online system is rock solid, something I haven't encountered with great success. Last year's NCAA 10 online was a buggy mess that kept booting me constantly from an online dynasty.

jmcclain19
07-02-2010, 05:08 PM
I just bought FIFA 10 - first new Fifa game in probably five years.

Spent a few hours last night going thru all the tutorials. I'm way out of practice with that game but it's come an amazing way with the advanced ball physicals and style moves.

SirFelixCat
07-04-2010, 02:22 PM
For the PC gamers out there, today is the final day of Steam's big summer blowout. Some killer rehashed deals. Civ IV complete pack for $10 etc.

SirFelixCat
07-04-2010, 02:28 PM
wrong thread...

RedsManRick
07-04-2010, 02:38 PM
I just bought FIFA 10 - first new Fifa game in probably five years.

Spent a few hours last night going thru all the tutorials. I'm way out of practice with that game but it's come an amazing way with the advanced ball physicals and style moves.

It's a great game. Look for me (RedsManRick) if you ever play online.

reds1869
07-11-2010, 07:09 PM
I just bought Football Manager 2010 for $14.99 on Steam. I hadn't taken the plunge on Steam until today. As a Mac gamer, it is Nirvana! I couldn't believe the number of top flight titles available for Mac that are only avaliable for PC in a retail environment. I'm a fan. :thumbup:

paintmered
07-11-2010, 10:17 PM
I just bought Football Manager 2010 for $14.99 on Steam. I hadn't taken the plunge on Steam until today. As a Mac gamer, it is Nirvana! I couldn't believe the number of top flight titles available for Mac that are only avaliable for PC in a retail environment. I'm a fan. :thumbup:

Steam is a godsend for PC gamers. If you're willing to wait a few months after a game releases, they often put it on sale for 25-50% off with much deeper discounts at later sales like their summer and year-end blowouts.

Redsfan320
07-11-2010, 10:35 PM
When will Madden 11 be out. And, for the ps2, are there any improvements since Madden 09 besides roster updates (and the new broadcasting, I guess)??

jmcclain19
07-12-2010, 12:17 PM
Steam is a godsend for PC gamers. If you're willing to wait a few months after a game releases, they often put it on sale for 25-50% off with much deeper discounts at later sales like their summer and year-end blowouts.

When they have a Steam Blowout - it's amazing some of the deals. I got Portal for free - and own every Pop Cap game & every Dawn of War Game thanks to some deals at the end of last year. They can really suck you in with some of those deals.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-15-2010, 03:25 AM
Activision is going following EA and making COD fans buy a subscription to play online now....which REALLY sucks if you're a Xbox 360 owner, cause we already pay for an online subscription....

reds1869
07-15-2010, 08:25 AM
Activision is going following EA and making COD fans buy a subscription to play online now....which REALLY sucks if you're a Xbox 360 owner, cause we already pay for an online subscription....

If Activision charges the fees, I bet almost every COD player will pay them. The easiest way to derail their plan is to refuse to do so in large numbers and to not buy their game. Vote with your wallet and they'll get the point. Of course, that is easy for me to say as someone who isn't into COD.

Reds Fanatic
07-15-2010, 09:37 AM
When will Madden 11 be out. And, for the ps2, are there any improvements since Madden 09 besides roster updates (and the new broadcasting, I guess)??

Madden 11 is out August 10th. I am not sure about the improvements.

Redsfan320
07-15-2010, 10:20 AM
^^^
Thanks.

jmcclain19
07-15-2010, 01:10 PM

Where did you hear this? I follow a couple of gaming sites and none of them have anything remotely close to this on it.

If the biggest game out there suddenly went from free to pay for MP it would be huge, huge news.

OldRightHander
07-15-2010, 02:14 PM
Where did you hear this? I follow a couple of gaming sites and none of them have anything remotely close to this on it.

If the biggest game out there suddenly went from free to pay for MP it would be huge, huge news.

There was an article last year that they were thinking about it, but nothing recent.

reds1869
07-15-2010, 02:18 PM

It is rumored that Infinity Ward is working on a Call of Duty MMO that would be fee based. That is what caused the initial uproar and we all know how stories spin out of control.

Caveat Emperor
07-15-2010, 03:12 PM
There was an article last year that they were thinking about it, but nothing recent.

I remember reading something a while back that indicated developers couldn't charge for online multiplayer if they wanted to be part of XBL.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-18-2010, 06:24 AM

I frequent the Gamestop's in the area where I live, and they were all in a huff talking about it one day when I came in. I don't really know where they heard it from, didn't ask, but they all said that it's going to start with the new COD coming out, and the older ones will follow suit.

Sean_CaseyRules
07-18-2010, 06:27 AM
Sorry to double post. Just found then by searching into google. Check it out.

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/analyst-urges-activision-to-charge-for-call-of-duty-online/?news=123

As news of a 15-percent decline in software sales for the month of June begins to sink in, analysts are looking for ways to buoy the sagging video game industry. One analyst, Michael Pachter for Wedbush Morgan Securities, is suggesting that part of the cause for the industry’s four consecutive months of decline might be because of the rise of online gaming. And his solution is to change online gaming to a subscription-based model.

“We think that the overall decline was due to a very large number of people playing multiplayer online games for free on PlayStation Network, and for an annual fee with unlimited game play on Xbox Live,” Pachter told Industry Gamers. “We estimate that a total of 12 million consumers are playing Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 for an average of 10 hours per week on the two platforms’ respective networks, and the continued enjoyment of this game (along with an estimated 6 million Halo online players, 3 million EA Sports players, and 5 million players playing other games, such as Battlefield, Red Dead Redemption, Left 4 Dead and Grand Theft Auto) has sucked the available time away from what otherwise would be spent playing newly purchased games.”

Pachter also blamed Nintendo’s bundles (that sell two games but only count as one in terms of sales), as well as consumers buying clearance and used software. But the real problem, according to Pachter, is the increased value of online gaming that encourages a longer lifespan for the games which discourages gamers from buying new games.

As the Call of Duty series is far and away the online leader for consoles, Pachter recommends that Activision lead by example and begin to charge for online gaming. Activision CEO Bobby Kotick has already stated that he would like to take the Call of Duty franchise in the direction of a subscription model, and he – somewhat bewilderingly- thinks that gamers are excited by the prospect t0o.

“I think our audiences are clamoring for it. If you look at what they’re playing on Xbox Live today, we’ve had 1.7 billion hours of multiplayer play on Live,” Kotick told the Wall Street Journal “I think we could do a lot more to really satisfy the interests of the customers. I think we could create so many things, and make the game even more fun to play. We haven’t really had a chance to do that yet.”

Whether or not the fans are “clamoring for it” or not, the Call of Duty franchise seems to be unstoppable for now, as the next game in the franchise, Call of Duty: Black Ops, has already seen more pre-orders than its record breaking predecessor, Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2. Black Ops is due November 9.

“We think that it is incumbent upon Activision, with the most popular multiplayer game, to take the first step to address monetization of multiplayer. It is too early to tell whether that will be a monthly subscription, tournament entry fees, microtransaction fees, or a combination of all three, but we expect to see the company take some action by year-end, when Call of Duty Black Ops launches,” Pachter said.

Despite the sales numbers, the outlook might not be as bleak as it seems for the industry. Software sales are sagging, but hardware has actually seen an increase, and some analysts – including the NPD Group’s Anita Frazier – believe that sales should rebound by the end of the year.

“Looking at historical seasonality for the industry, total year U.S. revenues (of new physical sales) could come in anywhere between $18 and $21 billion,” Frazier said. “Given the strong slate of content still to come, and the release of the Move and Kinect controllers, which I believe will spark additional interest in gaming, I think we could see the total year new physical retail sales come in at $20B. We’ll also be reporting consumer reported sales of digitally distributed, rental and used games content to provide insight into those non-POS sources of game sales.”

As of now, this is still all speculation, but if Kotick has his way and Activision does begin to charge for its online gaming in order to make up for lost revenue from declining software sales, expect others to follow suit.

Caveat Emperor
07-18-2010, 06:04 PM
Eh, I hope they do charge for online multiplayer in the COD series. I'll switch off to something else, and the hardcores can have their own little playground to keep them happy.

pahster
07-19-2010, 09:28 AM
All the more reason to play games that allow you to host your own servers (TF2 and other Source games, Bad Company 2, etc.).

HumnHilghtFreel
07-22-2010, 01:48 PM
pretty badass. make sure to post some of ur hd vids

Here's a couple videos I recently did. Nothing too special, just some random gameplay. Be sure to scale it up to 720p for full effect

YouTube - Is this camping Vol 2. 30-4 FFA (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NcvgK-Jd0so)

YouTube - Is this camping? 30-8 FFA MW2 (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YS8N0zU0I7E)

Caveat Emperor
07-30-2010, 08:50 PM
So -- anyone else get the new StarCraft? I'm thinking about picking it up for my Macbook Pro. I played loving heck out of the original when I was in high school and college.

pahster
07-30-2010, 10:44 PM
So -- anyone else get the new StarCraft? I'm thinking about picking it up for my Macbook Pro. I played loving heck out of the original when I was in high school and college.

I've been told that it's exactly the same as the original, but with better graphics, so I'll pass on it until it gets significantly cheaper.

WMR
07-31-2010, 02:33 PM
I bought the Collector's Edition. I dunno, I love it. One of the best CE's I've bought, and I buy a bunch of them. It has this 2 gig flash drive that looks like some sort of futuristic dog tag, which is probably my favorite extra of the CE. The usb connector for the dog tag shoots in and out when you press this button. Every product Blizzard produces is such quality.

I love everything Blizzard makes.

I'll probably poo poo myself when Diablo III finally comes out.

Caveat Emperor
08-01-2010, 11:00 PM
Bought SC2 on Friday. It's like putting on an old pair of shoes, and I'm enjoying the heck out of it. Something about hearing Jim Raynor's voice again really brought everything back.

Cool game -- though, given how similar it is to the original, there's no way in hell I'm going online to play.

Ghosts of 1990
08-02-2010, 09:48 AM
If we have any Madden addicts in here who are planning to buy Madden 11 around when it releases August 10th for the Playstation 3; please PM me your gamer name if you want some decent online competition.

AmarilloRed
08-04-2010, 11:05 PM
Front Office Manager-the thing that really killed the game for me was putting GM points into Hitting Coach and Pitching Coach. I would see seasons where I would win 130 and 140 games if I maxed out those 2 GM categories. The scouting part of the game was really cool though, and I hope MLB The Show tries to copy that part of FOM.

Madden 11-Never have figured out how to play the PS3 version of Madden. I doubt I'll shell out $60 for Madden again, unless they come up with a franchise mode as good as Head Coach.

I'm also a real big fan of Dragon Age; I just wish they would be coming out with more character customization for Dragon Age 2.

My original PS3 died of the YLOD, so I went and bought a Slim. I just wish you could play PS2 games on it.

reds44
08-04-2010, 11:12 PM
If we have any Madden addicts in here who are planning to buy Madden 11 around when it releases August 10th for the Playstation 3; please PM me your gamer name if you want some decent online competition.
future308.

Lets go.

kaldaniels
08-30-2010, 06:12 PM
Anybody got any tips for baserunning in MLBtheShow...I play online and I can hold my own with the bat, but I just haven't got the basepaths down. Especially when there are multiple guys on base...I end up advancing all of them instead of a specific player and make my self look like an idiot on a regular basis. Its not something you can really practice I guess...does L1 and R1 advance/retreat all runners? I just can't follow the manual on this one. Thanks!

jmcclain19
08-31-2010, 05:55 PM
I'll probably poo poo myself when Diablo III finally comes out.

Speaking of Diablo III - I forked over a $20 on Torchlight this weekend, and spent an ungodly amount of time on it this week.

Amazing game for any of the PC crowd and anyone jonesing for a Diablo fix.

WMR
08-31-2010, 09:55 PM
Any WoW people on here?

Caveat Emperor
08-31-2010, 11:36 PM
Any WoW people on here?

Based on what I know about WoW, I'm guessing not (unless they have RZ access in-game while you grind). ;)

Wiggidy
09-02-2010, 05:16 PM
I'm a big fan of MLB The Show (and a die hard gamer, play everything pretty much, mostly 360) and love the road to the show mode. I'm thinking about buying an authentic jersey of my created player named Chubby McGhee (number 99). He's a 5 time MVP, 4 time triple crown winner and a 5 time gold glove recipient. Your thoughts? Lame or game?

edit: I also play WoW, Greymane server, Landfilltwo is my main.

RedsManRick
09-02-2010, 05:20 PM
Based on what I know about WoW, I'm guessing not (unless they have RZ access in-game while you grind). ;)

I played WoW for the first few years after it came out and, yeah, it chews through free time like nobody's business. Ended up not being able to play end-game with raids b/c I didn't have the time to grind for pots and study all the strats. So now I can just spend all that energy bugging people here :beerme:

Caveat Emperor
09-04-2010, 02:11 AM
Those of you with "2011" in the Duke Nukem Forver Release Date Pool can now collect your winnings:

http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/111/1118240p1.html

The great vaporware saga of Duke Nukem looks to be coming to a close. At PAX this morning, 2K and Gearbox turned gamers loose on the first stage of Duke Nukem Forever. Let me repeat that for the non-believers: Duke Nukem Forever is real and it is an actual playable game. I half-expect to now to see Sasquatch walking down Pike Street in downtown Seattle.

Jpup
09-05-2010, 11:05 AM
Anyone getting the PS3 Move? I am considering it.

kaldaniels
09-11-2010, 05:46 PM
How's Madden 2011? Thinking of pulling the trigger but it gets pretty bad reviews on Amazon?

OUReds
09-27-2010, 01:16 AM
So if you have a PS3, and have ever had even the slightest interest in motion controls, you owe it to yourself to pick up a move controller or two and play Sports Champions.

Unfortunate, generic name, amazing game.

RadfordVA
10-07-2010, 04:03 PM
Playing FIFA 11 alot lately. If anyone else is on ps3 and wants some games the name is GLradford. Would love to find someone that doesnt mind playing with some mediocre teams haha gets a little tiresome always playing Real and Chelsea

RedsManRick
10-07-2010, 10:40 PM
How's Madden 2011? Thinking of pulling the trigger but it gets pretty bad reviews on Amazon?

I wish I hadn't bought it. It's the same old madden, only louder and more flashy. None of the gameplay issues that have plagued it over the last few years have been fixed.

jmcclain19
10-09-2010, 03:50 PM
I haven't picked up the new Fifa, and passed on Madden again. Seems like EA is really not adding a lot year to year. I bought the new NCAA Football game this year and played it the day I bought it and haven't touched it since. Sad how many hours I've spent playing EA Sports games over the years and all the latest entries leave me nonplussed.

Did pick up Halo Reach however. It's pretty much Halo 3 except your not Master Chief. But it's got all the Halo stuff in it. Riding Warthogs and drop shields and grenade spamming. If you like Halo, You'll like Reach. Didn't like the other ones, then I'd pass on it.

reds1869
10-09-2010, 03:55 PM
I just picked up NHL Slapshot for Wii. If you enjoy hockey and like motion controls, give it a shot. After playing it I know I'll have trouble going back to traditional control schemes.

Caveman Techie
10-13-2010, 02:22 PM
Any WoW people on here?

My wife and I play WoW. Love it too!

FOR THE HORDE!

Razor Shines
10-13-2010, 02:43 PM
Anybody picked up Medal of Honor yet? I considering getting it, but want to see what someone who's played thinks. I'm mostly wondering about the online play.

Jpup
10-13-2010, 05:23 PM
NBA 2k11=amazing. It's worth the price for the Jordan Challenge alone.

Degenerate39
10-14-2010, 03:14 PM
NBA 2k11=amazing. It's worth the price for the Jordan Challenge alone.

How's the My Player mode

Tornon
10-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Anyone else excited about Rock Band 3 in a couple weeks?

OldRightHander
10-14-2010, 08:49 PM
How's the My Player mode

I'm kind of wondering the same thing. It seems like it never mattered how well I played my team would lose most of the time. I'm hoping the AI of your teammates is a little better this go around.

MilotheMayor
10-15-2010, 12:38 AM
YES

Jpup
10-15-2010, 05:42 PM
How's the My Player mode

Couldn't tell you. I haven't touched it yet, but I expect to later on.

Razor Shines
10-15-2010, 06:06 PM
Couldn't tell you. I haven't touched it yet, but I expect to later on.

I haven't either, I've been playing the Jordan stuff.

Razor Shines
10-16-2010, 02:10 PM
I gonna start the my player mode and play as Jordan. I didn't know you could do that when I got the game, but it seems pretty cool.

Jpup
10-17-2010, 03:48 PM
I finally beat the Jordan Challenge last night. Now, I'm going to start an Association with one of the old Bulls teams. I haven't decided which yet.

kearns and dunn
10-17-2010, 06:15 PM
Fallout New Vegas in 2 days. I'm gonna fail school officially now.

Redsfan320
10-17-2010, 06:35 PM

So which one of you has decided to come back and post on Redszone (the Video Game Thread anyway)... Kearns or Dunn??

Caveat Emperor
10-18-2010, 12:56 AM

I came close with Final Fantasy VII back in the day. After the first two days, the life/work/school balance falls back into place. ;)

WMR
10-18-2010, 08:28 PM
FALLOUT NEW VEGAS YEA SON

:party:

OUReds
10-27-2010, 04:16 PM

Rock Band 3 is amazing so far.

WMR
10-27-2010, 04:25 PM
Fallout: New Vegas is amazing. Reminds me so much of Oblivion, which I adored.

About to try Fable III.

Also enjoying FIFA 11 and NBA 2K11 tremendously.

Degenerate39
10-27-2010, 04:52 PM
Fallout: New Vegas is amazing. Reminds me so much of Oblivion, which I adored.

About to try Fable III.

Been playing New Vegas nonstop. Love it

kearns and dunn
10-27-2010, 07:28 PM
How does it compare to Fallout 3? Basically same game in a different place? I haven't had the time/money to pick it up yet

Degenerate39
10-27-2010, 11:23 PM
How does it compare to Fallout 3? Basically same game in a different place? I haven't had the time/money to pick it up yet

Same game play. Better story imo and better location

OldRightHander
10-28-2010, 12:51 PM

Any major differences between FIFA 10 and 11? I'm still playing 10 and I still enjoy it.

jfleur87
10-28-2010, 01:20 PM
I just got a PS3 and picked up Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Wow.

OldRightHander
10-28-2010, 01:29 PM
I just got a PS3 and picked up Uncharted and Uncharted 2. Wow.

Those are pretty solid.

reds1869
10-28-2010, 01:43 PM
Those are pretty solid.

The opening scene of Uncharted 2 is a wonderful way to start a game. There is another level later on that is absolutely epic but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't played. Too bad my PS3 died or I would still be replaying Uncharted 2; the single player is that good.

OldRightHander
10-28-2010, 02:08 PM
The opening scene of Uncharted 2 is a wonderful way to start a game. There is another level later on that is absolutely epic but I don't want to spoil it for those who haven't played. Too bad my PS3 died or I would still be replaying Uncharted 2; the single player is that good.

What sets those apart is that the story isn't just an afterthought to the action; it actually is well thought out and integral to the action. You have characters you actually give a darn about and a story that is somewhat interesting.

WMR
10-28-2010, 02:40 PM
Any major differences between FIFA 10 and 11? I'm still playing 10 and I still enjoy it.

Huge. Biggest change in a FIFA game in several years. No more 'ping pong passing.' Better ball physics, animation... it's all just much, much more realistic. Be prepared to not like it as much when you first start playing because it is a much more difficult game to play well than FIFA 10.

OldRightHander
10-28-2010, 03:23 PM
Huge. Biggest change in a FIFA game in several years. No more 'ping pong passing.' Better ball physics, animation... it's all just much, much more realistic. Be prepared to not like it as much when you first start playing because it is a much more difficult game to play well than FIFA 10.

So more realistic scores on longer game times?

Cedric
10-28-2010, 06:21 PM
Just got a 360. I really only play sports games. How is the career mode in NBA 2k11? I only play single player modes.

Thanks in advance.

paintmered
10-28-2010, 06:28 PM

That's saying quite a bit because FIFA 10 was the largest leap forward in the series since FIFA 97.

Yachtzee
10-28-2010, 06:43 PM

Just played the demo. It definitely seems to be an upgrade.

Caveat Emperor
10-28-2010, 07:06 PM
Just got a 360. I really only play sports games. How is the career mode in NBA 2k11? I only play single player modes.

Thanks in advance.

I sent a text to my friend who has it, and this was his response:

Career mode stinks. Franchise mode = amazing.

Cedric
10-28-2010, 07:35 PM
I sent a text to my friend who has it, and this was his response:

Career mode stinks. Franchise mode = amazing.

Awesome. Thanks for the input!

Caveat Emperor
11-07-2010, 05:46 PM
COD: Black Ops comes out this Tuesday. Really not sure what to make of this game, considering Infinity Ward isn't handling the development.

YouTube - Call of Duty: Black Ops Commercial - There's a Soldier in All of Us (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1jM3gSOHRdM)

Kobe & Kimmel FTW. :)

reds1869
11-07-2010, 08:31 PM
Golden Eye for Wii is definitely worth your time. It reminds me of how addictive the original was. I am going to spend hours of my life on this game.

Yachtzee
11-08-2010, 03:37 PM
Has anyone tried out the XBox Kinect yet? My parents are talking about buying a Wii to give to our boys for Christmas, so I was wondering how the Kinect compared to the Wii. I was thinking about telling them to get the boys a Kinect for our Xbox 360 instead, but I want to see how well the Kinect works first. I'd say my concern is that we own an older Xbox 360 and I worry that the Kinect might be designed to work better with newer systems, requiring us to upgrade our 360 to a newer model in order to get the Kinect to work properly.

bshall2105
11-08-2010, 05:37 PM
COD: Black Ops comes out this Tuesday. Really not sure what to make of this game, considering Infinity Ward isn't handling the development.

Kobe & Kimmel FTW. :)

I will be picking it up at Wal-Mart tonight at midnight. It's developed by Treyarch, who also developed Call of Duty World at War, so if you liked that game you should like this one too.

kearns and dunn
11-09-2010, 11:43 PM
Ok, so my two choices are Fallout New Vegas or Call of Duty Black Ops......which one is better. Give me some details peeps

Caveat Emperor
11-10-2010, 01:38 AM
Ok, so my two choices are Fallout New Vegas or Call of Duty Black Ops......which one is better. Give me some details peeps

COD games are all about the online. The single-player campaigns are never more than 5-7 hours of gameplay, and there's little replay value to the offline components. If you're up for lots of team deathmatch action, go with Black Ops. If you're looking for more single-player or if you can't stand dealing with the helium-voiced preteens on Live, go with Fallout.

I picked up Black Ops tonight. Dove right into the multiplayer as soon as I got in. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. On the first couple runs, I really don't like the maps as much as I did on MW2. I thought MW2 was a step-up from MW1 -- this feels like a step backwards. They seem a lot more needlessly complex, and they feel completely inorganic.

2. The COD-points are fun. They eliminate the need to "grind" certain weapons in order to get them to your play-style (no more ACOG'd sniper rifles just to get a thermal scope). However, everything is bought with COD points, including custom cards and titles. I think I'll miss the randomness of unlocking a new title or icon from MW2.

3. Air-support killstreaks look to have been completely crippled. The early-call choppers don't seem nearly as effective as they were in MW2 -- consequently, I'm not seeing a lot of effort to shoot them down.

4. On the subject of killstreaks -- seems pretty similar to MW2. Remove Nukes (thank god) and EMP, add dog attacks.

5. Overall, not a lot of evolution from MW2. I guess you can say, on one hand, that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." On the other hand, I'd like to see some new ideas brought into play. I'll see how things progress as you unlock more stuff.

*BaseClogger*
11-10-2010, 02:51 AM
COD games are all about the online. The single-player campaigns are never more than 5-7 hours of gameplay, and there's little replay value to the offline components. If you're up for lots of team deathmatch action, go with Black Ops. If you're looking for more single-player or if you can't stand dealing with the helium-voiced preteens on Live, go with Fallout.

I picked up Black Ops tonight. Dove right into the multiplayer as soon as I got in. Here are my initial thoughts:

1. On the first couple runs, I really don't like the maps as much as I did on MW2. I thought MW2 was a step-up from MW1 -- this feels like a step backwards. They seem a lot more needlessly complex, and they feel completely inorganic.

2. The COD-points are fun. They eliminate the need to "grind" certain weapons in order to get them to your play-style (no more ACOG'd sniper rifles just to get a thermal scope). However, everything is bought with COD points, including custom cards and titles. I think I'll miss the randomness of unlocking a new title or icon from MW2.

3. Air-support killstreaks look to have been completely crippled. The early-call choppers don't seem nearly as effective as they were in MW2 -- consequently, I'm not seeing a lot of effort to shoot them down.

4. On the subject of killstreaks -- seems pretty similar to MW2. Remove Nukes (thank god) and EMP, add dog attacks.

5. Overall, not a lot of evolution from MW2. I guess you can say, on one hand, that "if it ain't broke, don't fix it." On the other hand, I'd like to see some new ideas brought into play. I'll see how things progress as you unlock more stuff.

Neat Review. Thanks.

One point of contention: what was wrong with the nuke? It seemed like a fun addition to MW2...

Caveat Emperor
11-11-2010, 03:25 AM
Neat Review. Thanks.

One point of contention: what was wrong with the nuke? It seemed like a fun addition to MW2...

It made playing FFA matches somewhat annoying when you'd get people nuke boosting the entire time.

BTW -- on the subject of nukes. The map "Nuketown" on Black Ops is completely broken. It's too small and waaaayyy too easy to spawn camp.

kearns and dunn
11-11-2010, 01:46 PM
I think I'm just gonna go with Fallout. I like to be able to play the missions a lot and online play is fun, but I'm not too big into it. So if I ever wanna play online I'll just play MW2

Caveat Emperor
11-12-2010, 01:43 AM
After about 50 or so matches, I've determined that the multiplayer on Black Ops, in general, is pretty broken.

Spawning in this game is horrendous. I've lost count of how many times I spawned and was killed within the first 2-3 seconds. It's so bad that I've spawned multiple times directly in enemy crosshairs. On the killcam, I can see my guy appearing in front of the opposing player and being shot immediately.

The RDXE is also too powerful -- it's pretty much a free kill, and you can get it after two kills in a row w/ the Hardline perk. It's fun to drive the little car around, but it seems cheap (especially when you consider that you can keep driving after your own player operating the joystick has been killed).

I'll work through the campaign, but I think I'm going back to MW2 for online play until Treyarch gets a patch out to correct the spawning issue.

Razor Shines
11-12-2010, 02:45 AM
I'm at level 30 in Black Ops and I agree about the spawning, it's ridiculous at times.

I don't have a problem with the RCXD, it's basically replaced the predator, which you also keep controlling after you die. I do agree that it shouldn't be in the first level of kill streaks though, with the predator you had to get 5 kills (or 4 for hardline).

I do think Treyarch fixed the Aim Down Site issue they had with World At War. It seemed in World at War if you had an automatic weapon you could just hip fire and not miss.

The AK47u is a ridiculous gun and I think it's way too good. When I have used it with the extra grip, Lightweight, Sleight of Hand and Ninja I have not lost a free for all match. I had to stop using it because it's way too easy.

So far I'm not a big fan of the maps either. Usually I like to play Hardcore Team Deathmatch and snipe, but so far I haven't found that these maps lend themselves to sniping, except maybe WMD. It could be that I just don't know the maps well enough yet. On the topic of sniping, I'm also disappointed that the .50 is not back. It was made in 1980 that's close enough to the era that they could have added it. And there isn't a single US made Sniper Rifle in the game, Germany got two. The HK and the Walther.

I know I haven't really said anything good about the game, but I do find that I enjoy playing it. I like the COD Points. I like the Wager Matches. I like the fact that you're not invisible to Air Support until you get Ghost Pro. I can't really compare it to MW2 because Treyarch didn't make that game, I can say that it's a lot better than World at War.

Caveat Emperor
11-12-2010, 10:51 AM
There is no action for snipers in this game b/c the multiplayer maps clearly weren't designed with sniping in mind. Every level seems to focus around corridor mazes or building-to-building action. There aren't any wide-open levels like Afghan or Wasteland to play with, where you can get shots off at long range. Plus, with stopping power gone, it's gotten much more difficult to one-shot kill with the sniper rifle, which definitely hurts class playability.

The other big problem I have with the multiplayer maps is that they're seemingly devoid of any discernable "choke points" where action is funneled during a deathmatch game. In MW2 (and most FPS games I've played), most maps had a clear area that people "fought" to hold -- the house in "Estate," the bunker in Wasteland, the cave in Afghan, etc. Here, the action seems to be in free-form around the map, playing to the advantage of the "run and gun" style players. It leads to the aforementioned lack of sniper action, but it also seriously nerfs the effectiveness of LMG weapons, which don't snap to ADS nearly as quickly as SMGs and Assaults and don't let you move as quickly while running.

They can fix the spawning problem with patching -- but I think the map issue is what'll eventually send me back to MW2 for good.

The one thing Treyarch did get right is the Create-A-Class and Playercard customization. Vastly improved from previous entries into the franchise.

Caveat Emperor
11-12-2010, 11:56 AM
Saw this on a COD forum:

YouTube - Call of Duty Black Ops: Treyarch- Your Spawns Blow (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B6ZWYXqbQWc)

It's actually amusing how broken the spawning is in Black Ops.

Yachtzee
11-12-2010, 04:22 PM
Okay, the old Xbox 360 coughed up the red ring of death just a few months after the 3 year rrod warranty expired. Just bought the 250G Xbox Slim with the Kinect. We'll see how it works out.

Yachtzee
11-15-2010, 12:28 AM
If anyone is interested, I'd say that, so far, the Kinect is a hit with the kids. Kinect Adventures came with the system and I bought Kinect Sports. Based on my observations of my kids playing (I can't play right now due to back problems), it seems to be a lot easier to pick up than even a Wii. I like it because it really actually got my kids working up a good sweat. They had to work their arms, legs and body to play the games and my youngest could play without worrying me having to remind him to hit this button or pull that trigger. So far, I'd say that the only drawbacks I've encountered are 1) Sometimes you need to recalibrate it if it's not picking you up properly, and 2) It works best if you have plenty of room to play. Our family room isn't the widest room, so we have almost 8' between the TV and the couch. They said you can play at a minimum of 6', but at least 8' is best.

Caveat Emperor
11-17-2010, 12:54 AM
I'm interested to see what impact, if any, Kinect and Move have on their various consoles.

Video gaming history is almost uniform in the idea that specialized controllers and/or hardware ad-ons to existing consoles never reach wide-adoption status.

RedsManRick
11-17-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm interested to see what impact, if any, Kinect and Move have on their various consoles.

Video gaming history is almost uniform in the idea that specialized controllers and/or hardware ad-ons to existing consoles never reach wide-adoption status.

It seems to me that they are merely marginal upgrades over the Wii. Wii functionality with HD graphics. Sure, the Kinect is different in that you don't use a controller, but it suffers the same issue: Most games require a level of fine motor control and variety of inputs (buttons) that you can simply cannot do absent an input device.

It will be able to replicate some first-person things well -- nobody will buy a controller based ping-pong or dance game again! -- but it leaves the vast majority of the games untouched.

It lends itself well to the family market, the same people who bought a Wii and, by and large, got bored with the novelty after a year.

Yachtzee
11-17-2010, 05:02 PM
It seems to me that they are merely marginal upgrades over the Wii. Wii functionality with HD graphics. Sure, the Kinect is different in that you don't use a controller, but it suffers the same issue: Most games require a level of fine motor control and variety of inputs (buttons) that you can simply cannot do absent an input device.

It will be able to replicate some first-person things well -- nobody will buy a controller based ping-pong or dance game again! -- but it leaves the vast majority of the games untouched.

It lends itself well to the family market, the same people who bought a Wii and, by and large, got bored with the novelty after a year.

Actually, I think where the Kinect differs from the Wii or the Move is that the camera can detect full body motion. From what I've seen so far, I could see the next move by Microsoft being to introduce the ability to use special controllers together with the Kinect to make games more interactive. For example, Imagine the next Call of Duty release coming with a gun controller optimized to work with the Kinect so that, as you are shooting the bad guys, you actually have to physically duck or go prone to make your on screen avatar duck behind cover or go prone to avoid enemy fire. You would use the controller to aim and fire as if it were a real gun.

WMR
11-17-2010, 05:15 PM
Kinect seems dumb to me. Definitely zero interest for me... seems more for kids/casual gamers. I go to the gym 3-4 times a week, I'm not interested in getting a workout when I'm trying to play Black Ops. :lol:

Move is a little more interesting to me... I'm definitely going to pick up one of these: http://www.amazon.com/PlayStation-Move-Navigation-Controller-3/dp/B002I0K6X6/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1290032086&sr=8-2 I'm always doing stuff on my ps3 and having a one-handed controller appeals to me (note this is NOT the Move Controller... Move NAVIGATION Controller... 2 different things)

SunDeck
11-18-2010, 03:48 PM
Old fart question time:

I have two kids who desperately want me to buy a gaming system. I also have an interest in not spending more money, so I'm wondering what capabilities these systems have for allowing me to just connect my TV to the internet and use that for my television viewing. If that works, I'll just dump cable.
XBOX 360 has access to Netflix, PSP3 seems to have some sort of browser...I'd like to know if anyone is using their gaming systems to bring internet video to their TV as an alternative. I know I won't get all the same stuff that cable provides, but for my viewing, it might actually work out better that way.

Alternatively, and a little off topic from this thread, is anyone just using an old laptop to run internet video to their TV. I have one and am wondering if that would work- just using it to grab the wireless signal from my router and sending the video to the television.

RedsManRick
11-19-2010, 12:02 AM
Old fart question time:

I have two kids who desperately want me to buy a gaming system. I also have an interest in not spending more money, so I'm wondering what capabilities these systems have for allowing me to just connect my TV to the internet and use that for my television viewing. If that works, I'll just dump cable.
XBOX 360 has access to Netflix, PSP3 seems to have some sort of browser...I'd like to know if anyone is using their gaming systems to bring internet video to their TV as an alternative. I know I won't get all the same stuff that cable provides, but for my viewing, it might actually work out better that way.

Alternatively, and a little off topic from this thread, is anyone just using an old laptop to run internet video to their TV. I have one and am wondering if that would work- just using it to grab the wireless signal from my router and sending the video to the television.

PS3 and Wii both have netflix as well. To the best of my knowledge, none of them can do cable, but they maybe able to do Hulu.

Razor Shines
11-19-2010, 12:25 AM
PS3 and Wii both have netflix as well. To the best of my knowledge, none of them can do cable, but they maybe able to do Hulu.

PS3 Does Hulu +

SunDeck
11-19-2010, 06:01 AM
That might work for us. We don't want "regular" TV, so to speak and not having all the channels offered by cable would be just fine. Instead, we like the idea of having Hulu and Netflix for our viewing.

OldRightHander
11-19-2010, 10:19 AM
That might work for us. We don't want "regular" TV, so to speak and not having all the channels offered by cable would be just fine. Instead, we like the idea of having Hulu and Netflix for our viewing.

And if you don't already have a Blu Ray player, the PS3 can save you some cash by not having to buy two separate units.

Razor Shines
11-19-2010, 10:32 AM

Oh, and yeah I have used my laptop connected to my TV to watch things on it before. I did it a lot before PS3 came out with an app for mlb.tv. It works really well. I think you'd want to have a laptop that has an HDMI connection though.

Razor Shines
11-21-2010, 09:13 PM
Anybody excited about GT5? My buddy built this in his basement in anticipation.

http://i484.photobucket.com/albums/rr210/razorshines11/62130_1635109241747_1357181642_1708270_3789075_n.j pg

RedsManRick
11-21-2010, 11:49 PM
Just got Fallout: New Vegas. A little dreary, but loads of fun.

reds1869
11-22-2010, 02:09 PM
I just picked up Donkey Kong Country Returns and Metroid Other M. I've played my Wii more the past few months than the rest of the time I've owned it combined--and I bought it at launch. The games coming out for Nintendo right now are amazing. I'm also looking forward to Epic Mickey next week and Super Mario All Stars in early December.

paintmered
11-22-2010, 05:46 PM
Two more days until GT5.

jmcclain19
11-25-2010, 01:33 AM
...I'm always doing stuff on my ps3 and having a one-handed controller appeals to me...

That joke kind of writes itself doesn't it?

Honestly the whole motion gaming phenomenon just doesn't interest me. I might get Kinect if a strong game came along, but not a single one right now gets me all a flutter.

My Wii is basically a digital Monopoly/Catan right now. Sits collecting dust unless friends or family want to bust it out while they are over.

jmcclain19
11-25-2010, 01:35 AM
And about GT5, I'd love to hear if anyone has played Forza and GT5 once it comes out.

Forza 3 is by far the best racing game I've ever played, and adding Nascar & Cart Racing doesn't seem like it would make me think it won't be anything other than a Forza clone at this point.

They've taken so long to build GT5, that Microsoft has released three versions of Forza in the interim. Unless it offers something substantial, I think Sony may take a money bath on it.

Yachtzee
11-27-2010, 09:15 AM
Forza is pretty great. Wouldn't mind picking up ForzaIII now that its on sale.

Caveat Emperor
12-06-2010, 07:06 PM
For the old NES crowd:

http://www.explodingrabbit.com/games/super-mario-bros-crossover

Sabo Fan
12-06-2010, 09:33 PM
So I borrowed Red Dead Redemption from a friend and have pretty much been playing it every chance I get the last 10 days or so. It was a game I was interested in when it was released but I didn't want to fork out the $60 for it right away. I never really got into the GTA games Rockstar is known for so I didn't know how I'd like RDR but the time period and sandbox aspect of the game interested me. I have to say that it's as enjoyable an experience I've had playing a game in some time and is right up there with Arkham Asylum as far as favorite games on the 360. Just riding around and working through the hunting and sharpshooting challenges is a blast. There's so much to do and the map itself is impressive. If you haven't played it I'd suggest at least renting it and giving it a shot. Hopefully they'll be a sequel at some point.

MikeThierry
12-09-2010, 01:38 AM
Anyone like the Mass Effect series? Mass Effect 2 might be one of the most beautiful games I have played and with the download content added to the game, it is one of the largest.

Dragon Age is also an epic game as well.

KronoRed
12-09-2010, 04:07 AM
For the old NES crowd:

http://www.explodingrabbit.com/games/super-mario-bros-crossover

Nothing like playing Super Mario Brother with the guy from Contra.

OldRightHander
12-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Got the new Assassin's Creed the other day. Decent enough so far. There are certain elements of the storyline that don't really strike my fancy, but other than that it's pretty solid.

WVPacman
12-10-2010, 12:00 AM
I just bought MLB 10 the show for ps2 for my birthday and was wondering if I made the right choice by buying that game? LOL I know everybody else plays their ps3 and xboxs but I figured the game is still probably the same.Anyways can anybody tell me if the game is anygood or not.thanks

MikeThierry
12-10-2010, 04:19 AM
Pacman, in a different thread I listed my top video games. MLB The Show is in my top ten. In my opinion it is far and away the best baseball game out there. The Road to the Show mode sets it apart from most games. What I love about it is that you can create a player and see him progress through the minors to elite status in the majors. You will spend many an hour engrossing yourself in that game.

WVPacman
12-10-2010, 03:18 PM
Pacman, in a different thread I listed my top video games. MLB The Show is in my top ten. In my opinion it is far and away the best baseball game out there. The Road to the Show mode sets it apart from most games. What I love about it is that you can create a player and see him progress through the minors to elite status in the majors. You will spend many an hour engrossing yourself in that game.

Thanks I appreciate your info about the game.

Redsfan320
12-24-2010, 06:52 PM
Two things: First, has anyone bought a "refurbished" ps3 from Game Stop? Are these reliable?

Secondly, I've played 2k6, 2k9, and 2k10 on the ps2 for the three years I've had it now, and I love it. From what I've seen of The Show for ps2, I was NOT impressed. HOWEVER, I know both game series are quite different on the ps3. SO, you guys have about 36 hours to convince me to buy The Show 10 as my first ps3 game over 2k10.

As you may have figured out, I've already gotten some (enough) money on Christmas Eve, and plan on buying a long-desired ps3, probably on Sunday.

HumnHilghtFreel
12-25-2010, 01:22 AM
^^^ The Show is the best baseball game. Period.

the MLB 2k series is a joke in the current generation of systems.

Redsfan320
12-25-2010, 07:49 AM
^^^ The Show is the best baseball game. Period.

the MLB 2k series is a joke in the current generation of systems.

I keep hearing this, but why? They look pretty similar. 2k10 even incorporated The Show's RTTS mode.

HumnHilghtFreel
12-25-2010, 03:12 PM
I keep hearing this, but why? They look pretty similar. 2k10 even incorporated The Show's RTTS mode.

2k series is riddled with bugs and whatnot. It really is not very well put together at all.

The Show is just incredibly polished as a game, it's hard to find any flaws in it.

Redsfan320
12-26-2010, 06:56 PM
Got my ps3 today. Got 2k10 and The Show 10. Haven't had a chance to get to The Show yet, but in my 1.5 hours with 2k10, it glitched twice. That's pretty bad.

WMR
12-26-2010, 07:09 PM
Why did you waste your money on 2K when everyone told you it was garbage? Should've gotten something like Uncharted 2, God of War, Little Big Planet instead.

WMR
12-26-2010, 08:42 PM
Okay got the Sony Move hooked up and played Time Crisis with the Move Gun Adapter thing...

pretty awesome. There's actually 3 different Time Crisis games on the disc... the one with Pirates is easily the best/most fun. Also got The Shoot which is a MOVE Shooter ... Somewhat interested to try the games that are "Move Capable"- Sly Cooper collection and Heavy Rain.

I asked for Amazon Gift Certificates from family... almost got enough for the 3D Kit for my 73 " Magnavox... playing in 3D while using the MOVE abilities of PS3 is going to be so fraking cool when they get some games produced with that type of playability in mind...

Imagining some killer House of the Dead-style gun games w/ 3d effect for zombies...............ahhhhh :D

Redsfan320
12-26-2010, 09:18 PM
Why did you waste your money on 2K when everyone told you it was garbage? Should've gotten something like Uncharted 2, God of War, Little Big Planet instead.

I actually got The Show for free due to a GameStop 3-for-2 used game sale. So if it makes you feel better you could say I got 2k for free. I got it at all because it had been so good to me for 3 years on ps2, and I loved the menu/roster management set-up (which o/c, they've turned to crap too).

Digging into The Show in the morning, hope it's better.

WMR
12-26-2010, 09:23 PM
I actually got The Show for free due to a GameStop 3-for-2 used game sale. So if it makes you feel better you could say I got 2k for free. I got it at all because it had been so good to me for 3 years on ps2, and I loved the menu/roster management set-up (which o/c, they've turned to crap too).

Digging into The Show in the morning, hope it's better.

Oh it's used? You can return it for a refund/exchange within 7 days.

You got your baseball covered with The Show.

Go back and get yourself a good game, there's a huge number of them available for PS3. Just my opinion, of course. :D

Redsfan320
12-26-2010, 09:35 PM
Oh it's used? You can return it for a refund/exchange within 7 days.

You got your baseball covered with The Show.

Go back and get yourself a good game, there's a huge number of them available for PS3. Just my opinion, of course.

If I'm satisfied with The Show, I may just do that and get Madden 11. Obviously, going from a ps2, the graphics are amazing, but every game is gonna be that way. Beyond that I really like the right-stick pitching gesture system on 2k, but other than that, I'm not too impressed.

savafan
12-26-2010, 10:19 PM
My wife wanted an XBox 360 for Christmas, which I bought her, because she was tired of my PS2 freezing up all the time, and none of her favorite games being available on PS2. Thing is, I don't know the first thing about this XBox, but I'm disappointed that MLB The Show isn't available for this console...

Oxilon
12-27-2010, 12:15 AM
My wife wanted an XBox 360 for Christmas, which I bought her, because she was tired of my PS2 freezing up all the time, and none of her favorite games being available on PS2. Thing is, I don't know the first thing about this XBox, but I'm disappointed that MLB The Show isn't available for this console...

LOL. Unofficially, there are no baseball games for 360. Officially, you can always by MLB 2K. Than again, I'd prefer to light $60 on fire and watch it burn.

Caveat Emperor
12-27-2010, 12:52 AM

Baseball games for the 360 stink on ice. Though, the 360 makes up for this lack with killer RPG and FPS offerings.

Redsfan320
12-27-2010, 09:34 AM
I hereby officially open my mouth and eat crow. The Show absolutely kills 2k10. My apologies to the world for believing otherwise before I got to try them both on ps3.

BRM
12-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Anyone playing NBA 2K11? Picked it up over the weekend but have only played a couple of games so far.

Redsfan320
12-27-2010, 01:13 PM
Anyone know of any good family-friendly non-sports games for ps3, particularly ones that really showcase the graphic capabilities?

Razor Shines
12-27-2010, 01:38 PM
Anyone know of any good family-friendly non-sports games for ps3, particularly ones that really showcase the graphic capabilities?

http://www.defunctgames.com/pic/reviewpics/reviewepisodesfromlibertycity-2.jpg

Redsfan320
12-27-2010, 01:49 PM
Umm... I'm guessing that was a joke?

RedsManRick
12-27-2010, 02:09 PM

Try the Ratchet & Clank series or LittleBigPlanet

WMR
12-27-2010, 02:09 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh BRM if only you had it on 360... what an education I would give you in 2K11. :lol:

BRM
12-27-2010, 02:12 PM
Ohhhhhhhhhhh BRM if only you had it on 360... what an education I would give you in 2K11. :lol:
I'm sure. I can see it's going to take some time to get the hang of the controls. This is the first hoops game I've owned in a few years.

WMR
12-27-2010, 02:18 PM
It's amazing once you get it down. Best sports game ever, IMO.

BRM
12-27-2010, 02:24 PM
It's amazing once you get it down. Best sports game ever, IMO.

That's what I've been reading. Which is why I bought it. ;)

My kids played a few more games yesterday and they absolutely love the game. My oldest daughter is hooked on it now.

Redsfan320
12-27-2010, 05:54 PM
I'm hooked on RTTS on The Show. I signed up as a 1B, and put my backup as IF, but the Mudcats skip decided I should be their starting 2B. Oh well, would've been my 2nd individual position choice anyway. So much fun. Reminds me of actually playing. My only other caveat is the fact that every minor league series is 5 games. Why?

Redsfan320
12-28-2010, 08:52 AM
Okay, new question. How to draw walks? It's my only advancement goal left, I have to draw 1 more BB, but I've only got 2 or 3 more games to do so. I've been taking pitches like crazy, but when they throw strikes, there's not much I can think to do.

pahster
12-28-2010, 09:50 AM
Okay, new question. How to draw walks? It's my only advancement goal left, I have to draw 1 more BB, but I've only got 2 or 3 more games to do so. I've been taking pitches like crazy, but when they throw strikes, there's not much I can think to do.

I've had the same problem with The Show for the last three years. They just don't throw enough pitches outside of the zone. In addition, the speed of the pitches is too great for me, so half the time I can't tell if a pitch is a ball or a strike anyway. What I've done to counteract this is to decrease the CPU pitcher's control one or two ticks and slow the pitch speed down as much as is possible (which isn't much). I think I also increased the number of foul balls you hit. This seemed to balance things out a bit, but walking is still unrealistically rare.

Redsfan320
12-28-2010, 10:41 AM
Thanks for the tips, pahster. I'll try them later today.

Jpup
12-28-2010, 05:21 PM
Anyone playing NBA 2K11? Picked it up over the weekend but have only played a couple of games so far.

I've got it for ps3. amazing game.

Jpup
12-28-2010, 05:26 PM
I got the PS3 Move for Christmas and I'm loving it so far. Any of you PS3 guys please add me on PSN. My current library is NBA 2k11, The Show (all of them), Sports Champions, HVB, Wheel of Fortune, Tiger 2011, Tecmo Bowl Throwback, Baseball Stars Professional, Red Dead Redemption, and TV Show King.

WMR
12-29-2010, 11:02 AM
I got a 3 mo. subscription to Sony Plus to get the DC Universe Online Beta......... holy crap this game is fun.......... definitely gonna be picking it up. Drops Jan. 11th.

Wat is your name on PSN jpup?

Redsfan320
12-30-2010, 02:14 PM
My Shadow 6 controller just arrived. Just an all-around great controller. I highly recommend it.

Jpup
01-01-2011, 11:21 AM
jpup

:thumbup:

MikeThierry
01-05-2011, 05:43 AM
Have any of you or do any of you dabble in MMO's? To me they can get boring at times because of the grind to level up. However I'm intrigued at the MMO that Bioware is coming out with this year. It is an MMO called The Old Republic, which is based off of the Knights of the Old Republic series. Should be very interesting. Check it out:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2009/06/01/star-wars-the-old-republic-pc-games-trailer-e3-2009-trailer?objectid=816935

Degenerate39
01-05-2011, 07:39 AM
Have any of you or do any of you dabble in MMO's? To me they can get boring at times because of the grind to level up. However I'm intrigued at the MMO that Bioware is coming out with this year. It is an MMO called The Old Republic, which is based off of the Knights of the Old Republic series. Should be very interesting. Check it out:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2009/06/01/star-wars-the-old-republic-pc-games-trailer-e3-2009-trailer?objectid=816935

Im boycotting that game because I wanted a direct sequel to the Knights of the Old Republic games not an MMO

Redsfan320
01-05-2011, 09:00 AM
Im boycotting that game because I wanted a direct sequel to the Knights of the Old Republic games not an MMO

Amen. I don't do MMOs, anyway, but if they came out with a KotOR3, I'd buy it in a heartbeat. As I don't have xbox, and the KotOR franchise has been xbox and pc only, it'd be the first pc game I would have bought in years.

Caveat Emperor
01-05-2011, 02:16 PM

They should have just made a new KOTOR game.

Maybe if I was 10 years younger and still in school, you could've roped me in for a Star Wars MMO, but I simply don't have the time or desire to play a game that requires me to be sitting in front of a computer monitor for multiple hours per week.

I guess the MMO genre just isn't for me. I like games I can play for an hour or two at a time intermittently (see: Black Ops, NCAA Football) or for a long period of time until it's done (Final Fantasy type games, etc.). I don't have the attention span or the time to sink weeks and months of gaming into a single thing.

jmcclain19
01-06-2011, 05:27 PM
Thanks to a new member of the household - my game playing has been reduced to practically zero, but I did get some time in this past week to play the new Call of Duty and Medal of Honor.

Is it just me or are all of those games just developing a huge amount of same-ness.

I got bored with both, and went back to finish up the Mass Effect 2 DLC.

By the way PS3 people - do yourself a favor and pick up Mass Effect 2 when it comes up for PS3 this month. Incredible game.

MikeThierry
01-06-2011, 10:14 PM
Totally agree. Mass Effect 2 is an awesome game and with all the download content, one of the bigger games I have played. I just can't wait until ME3 comes out.

Caveat Emperor
01-18-2011, 12:26 PM
I received a copy of Madden for Christmas -- honestly, this late in the football season, I've got very little desire to start playing it (especially considering how bad my Tampa Bay Buccaneers will probably be in online play, given the rosters were set before the world found out how awesome Josh Freeman is).

It was a gift -- I know it was purchased at a Game Stop out of state, but the person who gave it to me didn't save the receipt.

Anyone have any luck doing receipt-less returns at one of them? I'd probably just be getting another game for the same price.

reds1869
01-18-2011, 12:36 PM
I received a copy of Madden for Christmas -- honestly, this late in the football season, I've got very little desire to start playing it (especially considering how bad my Tampa Bay Buccaneers will probably be in online play, given the rosters were set before the world found out how awesome Josh Freeman is).

It was a gift -- I know it was purchased at a Game Stop out of state, but the person who gave it to me didn't save the receipt.

Anyone have any luck doing receipt-less returns at one of them? I'd probably just be getting another game for the same price.

If the game is unopened some stores will give a refund without a receipt; it varies case by case as some won't even accept returns of unopened software. If the shrink wrap is off you are out of luck at any game retailer. Good luck!

MikeThierry
01-21-2011, 08:50 PM
This looks like an awesome game:

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/01/14/shogun-2-total-war-campaign-trailer?objectid=76283

toledodan
01-22-2011, 02:43 AM

wal-mart is a good place to take it back without the receipt. you will just need to show ID.

Caveat Emperor
01-22-2011, 03:19 AM
I managed to take it back to Game Stop -- picked up Forza 3, Battlefield 2, and Fallout off the used rack.

Not a bad 3-1 swap, IMO.

reds1869
01-22-2011, 01:54 PM
I managed to take it back to Game Stop -- picked up Forza 3, Battlefield 2, and Fallout off the used rack.

Not a bad 3-1 swap, IMO.

Nice!

Razor Shines
01-22-2011, 02:21 PM

Not a bad 3-1 swap, IMO.

Fallout. Good luck. I have had to ban myself from buying the new one so I don't completely neglect my family.

reds1869
01-22-2011, 05:33 PM
Fallout. Good luck. I have had to ban myself from buying the new one so I don't completely neglect my family.

I disappeared for several months playing Fallout 3. One of the most addictive games I've ever played.

KronoRed
01-22-2011, 05:37 PM
Fallout 3 actually scares me, I can't play it after dark. :wimp:

MikeThierry
01-22-2011, 07:38 PM
Yeah, Fallout has some scary moments.

Did any of you like the God of War series?

Redsfan320
01-25-2011, 07:46 PM
Anyone know of any good single-player RPGs for ps3 that are not rated M? The closer to KotOR/2 the better. I have KotOR2 for PC, but it doesn't work on my Windows7. Something about a "cyclic redundancy error" every time.

OldRightHander
02-10-2011, 12:15 PM
I liked the Splinter Cell series and I just heard that they're planning on releasing the original three games for PS3 and 360 next month. That might be worth checking out. I kind of enjoyed those and was a bit disappointed when the new one didn't come out on PS3. I think they're going to upgraded for HD.

Cuban_Missile
02-25-2011, 03:07 PM
Who plays PS3 here? If so what do you play most of the time?

Razor Shines
02-25-2011, 03:10 PM
Who plays PS3 here? If so what do you play most of the time?

Black Ops, MW2, NBA 2k11

Cuban_Missile
02-25-2011, 03:13 PM
Black Ops, MW2, NBA 2k11

I play Black Ops all the time add me we can play sometime. WhoDey932. I will also be getting Madden 12 and MLB 12 when they come out.

pahster
03-07-2011, 01:05 PM
Dragon Age 2 allegedly unlocks at midnight on Steam. See you all in a month.

HumnHilghtFreel
03-07-2011, 03:52 PM
All I have been playing lately is Marvel vs Capcom 3. I love fighting games, but I'm so bad at them. The grind to program every single combo combination into your brain and actually performing them in the heat of the moment. Ahhhh, it's a beautiful thing.

Also interested in getting Castlevania, Lord of Shadows here soon since I have some extra cash. But I have a pretty epic backlog at the moment.

Games I currently own and haven't played or have not finished playing: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Bioshock 2, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout New Vegas, Dante's Inferno,Borderlands, Mirror's Edge, Army of Two, Lost Oddysey, Blue Dragon, Oblivion, Metro 2033, Mass Effect 2, Lost Planet.

I have a bit of an addiction for buying games lol http://oi53.tinypic.com/25k3aki.jpg it's a tad ridiculous

OldRightHander
03-08-2011, 02:14 PM
Picked up The Show today. I won't be able to start playing it until later in the day though.

wolfboy
03-08-2011, 04:06 PM
All I have been playing lately is Marvel vs Capcom 3. I love fighting games, but I'm so bad at them. The grind to program every single combo combination into your brain and actually performing them in the heat of the moment. Ahhhh, it's a beautiful thing.

Also interested in getting Castlevania, Lord of Shadows here soon since I have some extra cash. But I have a pretty epic backlog at the moment.

Games I currently own and haven't played or have not finished playing: Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood, Bioshock 2, Dragon Age Origins, Fallout New Vegas, Dante's Inferno,Borderlands, Mirror's Edge, Army of Two, Lost Oddysey, Blue Dragon, Oblivion, Metro 2033, Mass Effect 2, Lost Planet.

I have a bit of an addiction for buying games lol http://oi53.tinypic.com/25k3aki.jpg it's a tad ridiculous

We share the same addiction. I have a list of un-played games that's just as long. I wish I had more time.

Sean_CaseyRules
03-08-2011, 07:33 PM
I have about 20 or so games, but I only buy games after I've finished one of mine. I like doing one at a time, I get addicted to each game I start.

pahster
03-15-2011, 10:33 AM
Dragon Age 2 allegedly unlocks at midnight on Steam. See you all in a month.

Well that sucked. I want my 50 hours back.

Sean_CaseyRules
03-15-2011, 07:14 PM
Well that sucked. I want my 50 hours back.

That's sad. I definitely was thinking about picking this one up.

jmcclain19
05-11-2011, 01:00 AM
Any Gears of War 3 fans out there? I've got an extra code to the beta that goes to the first person to PM me about it.

Redsfaithful
05-11-2011, 09:18 AM
Portal 2 was my favorite game in years. I wish there were more games with great, relatively short single player campaigns. Many of the games that are supposed to be good single player take 50+ hours and I just don't have the time these days.

OldRightHander
05-11-2011, 02:18 PM
Portal 2 was my favorite game in years. I wish there were more games with great, relatively short single player campaigns. Many of the games that are supposed to be good single player take 50+ hours and I just don't have the time these days.

I kind of like those insanely long single player games. I don't have much time for playing and one of those can take me a couple months or more to finish. That's pretty good bang for my buck.

Redsfaithful
05-11-2011, 04:02 PM
I kind of like those insanely long single player games. I don't have much time for playing and one of those can take me a couple months or more to finish. That's pretty good bang for my buck.

I have tried this before, only to return to a game after a few weeks to have no freaking idea what I'm supposed to be doing or where I'm at.

Caveat Emperor
05-11-2011, 08:56 PM

I feel it's just the opposite -- I feel most games now are short experiences as single player titles with the majority of the content coming in the form of online play.

Redsfaithful
05-12-2011, 12:53 PM
I feel it's just the opposite -- I feel most games now are short experiences as single player titles with the majority of the content coming in the form of online play.

I know what you're saying, like the Call of Duty franchise, but I don't think anyone really commends them for their single player campaigns. The games are mostly evaluated for their online play, which is fine, just not for me.

I'm struggling to think of shorter single player games that have great critical reviews. Is the Uncharted series short? I know they are supposed to be good.

Fallout 3 was great for me even though it was longer. I've heard the first Dragon Age is great, but I assumed it would be a slog like most RPGs.

I know I'm in the minority here also, most people want more bang for their buck. Personally though, I'd probably buy a game every month if it were as good and quick as Portal 2. As it is I buy a game every year or two it seems like.

Caveat Emperor
05-12-2011, 03:51 PM
I know I'm in the minority here also, most people want more bang for their buck. Personally though, I'd probably buy a game every month if it were as good and quick as Portal 2. As it is I buy a game every year or two it seems like.

I miss games I can really dig into -- games that went for 60+ hours of playtime like the greats from the end of the SNES / mid-PSX era (Final Fantasy VI / VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Super Metroid, Xenogears, etc.)

Though, I do get what you're saying about time. It took me about a year to play all the way through Lost Odyssey -- where I used to be able to knock a game like that out in a few weeks back when I didn't have a job, a girlfriend, and a social life.

Redsfaithful
05-12-2011, 04:39 PM
I actually have a HTPC under my TV, so I've got a bunch of emulators and ROMs and have been playing old SNES games with my 3 year old, so I definitely understand what you're saying. I'm kind of in an outlier situation for someone that enjoys games right now I think.

Caveat Emperor
05-24-2011, 11:47 AM
Duke Nukem Forever went Gold Master today -- ships on 6/10...

...a mere 14 years after it was originally announced.

wolfboy
05-24-2011, 01:15 PM
Has anyone purchased L.A. Noire? Looks pretty neat, but I haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

reds1869
05-24-2011, 01:19 PM
Since buying a new XBOX I've been on a binge of games I missed after my original 360 got the RROD. I'm currently in love with Mass Effect and Dragon Age Origins. As an RPG fan I can't think of anything better. Assassin's Creed is also really fun. I also love Portal and can't wait to play Portal 2. I can't believe how many great games I missed over the past several years but at least now they are cheap!

Ghosts of 1990
05-24-2011, 01:22 PM
I knew you guys would be talking LA Noire.

I'm still stuck on MLB The Show 11. Frustrating, but addicting.

Cannot wait to play fight night - the newest one

MikeThierry
05-24-2011, 08:35 PM
I miss games I can really dig into -- games that went for 60+ hours of playtime like the greats from the end of the SNES / mid-PSX era (Final Fantasy VI / VII, Castlevania: Symphony of the Night, Super Metroid, Xenogears, etc.)

Caveat, I would highly suggest Dragon Age Origins. With all the download content and expansions, that is easily an 80+ hour game. It is one of my favorite games.

I also purchased LA Noire the other day. It is very different from a lot of games I have played but so far so good. Some of the time the gameplay can get bogged down a bit but overall it is a very enjoyable playing experience. However, if you are a fan of the GTA series don't expect it to play like those games. This is completely different from anything Rockstar games has come out with.

MikeThierry
05-24-2011, 08:37 PM
I knew you guys would be talking LA Noire.

I'm still stuck on MLB The Show 11. Frustrating, but addicting.

Cannot wait to play fight night - the newest one

I love MLB The Show 11 too. I haven't had much problem with it though I'm not using the analog stick to hit and pitch. My only complaint about it is that in MLB The Show 10, you were able to get players from the Golden Age of baseball like Ruth and add them to your team. You were also able to mimic old school players batting stances. My character in 10 had a batting stance like Musial. In MLB The Show 11, you don't have those options. I wish they would have brought that back.

reds1869
05-25-2011, 08:19 AM
I love MLB The Show 11 too. I haven't had much problem with it though I'm not using the analog stick to hit and pitch. My only complaint about it is that in MLB The Show 10, you were able to get players from the Golden Age of baseball like Ruth and add them to your team. You were also able to mimic old school players batting stances. My character in 10 had a batting stance like Musial. In MLB The Show 11, you don't have those options. I wish they would have brought that back.

The Show is the only reason I'm tempted to buy another PS3. MLB 2K11 is pretty weak (though improved). Oh well, looks like OOTP 12 for my baseball gaming needs.

I second your above recommendation of Dragon Age Origins. The world is so immersive that you really feel as if it is a real place.

Caveat Emperor
05-31-2011, 12:50 PM
Chronro Trigger was released as a download for the Wii Virtual Console. I spent a few leftover Wii Points to get it this weekend and am currently giving it a play-through (first time I've played it since I was in junior high).

It's still, over 15 years since it's initial release, one of the five or so greatest video games ever made.

reds1869
06-02-2011, 05:01 PM
Chronro Trigger was released as a download for the Wii Virtual Console. I spent a few leftover Wii Points to get it this weekend and am currently giving it a play-through (first time I've played it since I was in junior high).

It's still, over 15 years since it's initial release, one of the five or so greatest video games ever made.

I'd love to try it but for some reason my Wii will no longer access the Shop Channel. The console freezes up every time I attempt to enter the shop. Some of my older virtual console games have problems, too. Any advice from Nintendo fans on here would be appreciated. This is a launch Wii so it is starting to show its age a bit.

MikeThierry
06-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Do you all kind of miss the day of the original Nintendo? Yeah the cartridges were annoying at times because you had to blow on them to work but I kind of grow nostalgic for old school Zelda and Duck Hunt.

RedsManRick
06-03-2011, 11:41 PM
nm... figured it out

MikeThierry
06-11-2011, 03:47 PM
I cannot wait for this game to come out. To bad its next year :/

http://www.ign.com/videos/2011/06/06/e3-2011-mass-effect-3-gameplay-trailer?objectid=14235016

kaldaniels
06-11-2011, 11:17 PM
nm

AmarilloRed
06-13-2011, 10:01 PM
Someone named Yanksdaniel 99 uploaded all the 1st round picks, including Stephenson to the Player Vault in MLB 11 the Show. Overall a good job, except for the 1 year contract and B potential.I can post his ratings in this thread alter if anyone's interested, including facial edits. I may also upload a A potential version.

jmcclain19
06-23-2011, 03:28 AM
Used a $100 coupon and picked up a PS3 finally.

For my 2 cents, The Show is pretty overrated - and the MLB 2k series is a pretty close competitor. There were close enough that I just passed - having already bought MLB 2K for my Xbox in March.

Heavy Rain is fantastic, Uncharted 2 is amazing, and Little Big Planet is excellent fun, if a bit frustrating at times.

Redsfan320
06-23-2011, 09:18 PM
Okay, on The Show, I offered the Mets: Cozart, Mesoraco, and Alonso for Reyes, Thole, and some fake AAA 1B. Now the reason I would give up so much is because my franchise will only last one season anyway; I keep up with the real Reds, so next season will be on next year's game. My point in posting this is that the interest level the game showed for the Mets was around 80%, but after they "considered my offer and got back to me within a few days," they turned me down. Why?

juvey21
06-23-2011, 09:24 PM
Recently traded in my ps3 slim for xbox 360 250GB. Im glad I did. I loved my ps3 but all my friends own a 360. So the gameplay experience playing with them is much better.

I primarily play call of duty and playing mw2 till mw3 comes out. anyone wanna add me feel free shoot me a PM on here.

MikeThierry
06-27-2011, 11:41 AM
Heavy Rain is fantastic, Uncharted 2 is amazing, and Little Big Planet is excellent fun, if a bit frustrating at times.

Heavy Rain was one of the more innovative games I have played in recent years. Excellent story and just completely different from everything.

MilotheMayor
07-09-2011, 12:33 AM
Just finished Okami. Game was a piece of art. Shame that it didn't sell well despite its critical accolades.

izzy's dad
07-11-2011, 11:36 PM

It's in my top five easy.

wolfboy
07-30-2011, 10:11 PM
Anyone looking forward to Star Wars the Old Republic?

Caveat Emperor
07-31-2011, 04:10 PM

I feel like you have to be a certain type of person (and I don't mean that in a negative way) to enjoy MMORPGs -- as much as I love BioWare's Star Wars games, I don't have any desire to pay a monthly fee or spend the hours required to enjoy that type of game.

Honestly, I wish they'd just made Knights of the Old Republic III instead.

wolfboy
07-31-2011, 04:17 PM
I feel like you have to be a certain type of person (and I don't mean that in a negative way) to enjoy MMORPGs -- as much as I love BioWare's Star Wars games, I don't have any desire to pay a monthly fee or spend the hours required to enjoy that type of game.

Honestly, I wish they'd just made Knights of the Old Republic III instead.

You may want to look into some of the info that's out on the game. It's very unlike most MMO's. It's very true to Bioware's other games. For what it's worth, I'm not a huge MMO person either.

pahster
07-31-2011, 04:25 PM

I'm cautiously looking forward to it. On the one hand, I find MMO's tiresome. On the other hand, it sounds as if Bioware is trying to turn The Old Republic into a massively single (or two) player game. If they pull that off, it might be worth it. On the third hand, Bioware has destroyed a good deal of the good will I've long held for them in the last year or so. Mass Effect 2, while improving over ME1's game play (for the most part), took a huge step back; its narrative was very weak. Narrative driven games that have more interesting side plots than main plots are in trouble, especially when the imbalance is because of a poorly thought out and/or executed main plot (I'm looking at you, every game Bethesda has ever made). The larger concern for me is the absolute train wreck of a game that was Dragon Age 2, perhaps the most disappointing game I've ever played. Poor design, terrible narrative in which very little happens and the events of much of the game are essentially unconnected to one another, an obviously rushed product... I can't think of anything nice to say about DA2 other than that the graphics were better than they were in DA1. Bioware got beat up pretty badly by people's reactions to the game. I can only assume that this is why they gave everyone who bought DA2 a free copy of ME2 for the PC.

So I'm kind of looking forward to The Old Republic, but I frankly just don't trust Bioware anymore. They're going to have to earn back my trust.

MilotheMayor
08-02-2011, 04:40 PM
To anyone who played the Assassin's Creed games, does anyone think that Ezio looks exactly like Joey Votto? haha

MikeThierry
08-03-2011, 03:39 AM

Definitely. I have a problem with the grind of MMO's, as some have said, but I'm willing to give this a try. Knights of the Old Republic is probably in my top 5 of games and I really love the storyline from that era of Star Trek. From what I have seen of TOR, it looks amazing from the graphics to the voice work. I heard that it is going to be coming out in the next month or two. In fact, you can already pre-order the game.

thatcoolguy_22
08-03-2011, 05:08 PM
‪"The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim" E3 Gameplay Demo‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ic6dKnv3WdU)

This will be the first game I preorder... ever.

LvJ
08-03-2011, 06:24 PM
That looks so beautiful.

MikeThierry
08-03-2011, 07:47 PM
I never got into the Elderscrolls games for some reason.

MikeThierry
08-03-2011, 08:00 PM
Can't wait until ME3 comes out:

‪Mass Effect 3 at E3‬‏ - YouTube (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c4TuoaPnWX4&feature=relmfu)