PDA

View Full Version : A special Father's Day story

OnBaseMachine
06-22-2010, 04:31 AM
I thought this was an amazing story.

If this story doesn't get to you, nothing will.

Providence College graduate John McDonald, a Blue Jays infielder, lost his father to cancer last week. Before Jack McDonald died, he told his son to hit his next home run for him when he went back to the team.

McDonald, who had only 13 homers in his 12-year career, told his father that he would try but it wasn't that easy.

McDonald rejoined the Blue Jays from an 11-day bereavement leave on Saturday and played in his first game on Sunday Father's Day.

Cito Gaston put him in the game in the ninth inning with Toronto down 9-3 and you can guess what happened next. Yes, McDonald belted a home run and was fighting back tears as he circled the bases. He returned to the dugout and was swarmed by his teammates.

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/extras/extra_bases/2010/06/a_special_fathe.html

That really is an amazing story. The guy has 13 career home runs in 12 seasons (1750+ atbats) and he hits a home run in his first atbat back from the bereavement list, and on Father's Day? That's something you see in a movie.

HeatherC1212
06-22-2010, 10:07 AM
That is a GREAT story and I got a little teary reading about it yesterday. If a story like that doesn't affect you at least a little bit, then I fear your heart may be made of stone, LOL :p:

reds1869
06-22-2010, 10:07 AM
What a beautiful story. Thanks for passing it along.

cumberlandreds
06-22-2010, 10:40 AM
I read about this yesterday. Just amazing! It really is a Hollywood type thing that was real.