PDA

View Full Version : Yonder Alonso, Phillippe Valiquette to represent Reds in 2010 Futures Game

OnBaseMachine
06-22-2010, 04:17 PM
2010 Reds representives:

Yonder Alonso, Phillippe Valiquette

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100622&content_id=11446236&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

There's a few surprises for me. I thought Chapman was a lock for the World roster. I also thought DiDi Gregorius had a chance to make the World roster and maybe Travis Wood or Devin Mesoraco would make the USA roster. But then again, teams can only have two representives...

nemesis
06-22-2010, 07:26 PM
2010 Reds representives:

http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100622&content_id=11446236&vkey=news_mlb&fext=.jsp&c_id=mlb

There's a few surprises for me. I thought Chapman was a lock for the World roster. I also thought DiDi Gregorius had a chance to make the World roster and maybe Travis Wood or Devin Mesoraco would make the USA roster. But then again, teams can only have two representives...

Fair enough... But why those 2? Just because they are in the Upper Minors?

LoganBuck
06-22-2010, 11:41 PM
MLB sent a notice to the Reds saying they wanted the lefty that throws 100+ MPH that has to use a VISA to enter the USA.

11larkin11
06-22-2010, 11:43 PM
MLB sent a notice to the Reds saying they wanted the lefty that throws 100+ MPH that has to use a VISA to enter the USA.

Hey, we got two of those!

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2010, 01:13 AM
"He's played more first base, which has probably relaxed him in all facets of his game. The numbers may not reflect it, but he's hit the ball hard all year without much luck," said Terry Reynolds, the Reds senior director of player development. "He is as good of a hitting prospect as we have."

"He's got one of the better arms in our organization," Reynolds said. "He has come a long way in the years since we drafted him. He was a Canadian kid that hadn't played a lot. He's worked hard to get where he is."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100622&content_id=11457392&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

klw
06-23-2010, 06:51 AM

Danny Herrera doesn't need a Visa so I can't thing of who this other lefty is.:D

GIDP
06-23-2010, 08:09 AM
Danny Herrera doesn't need a Visa so I can't thing of who this other lefty is.:D

Sir Arthur Rhodes is really a knight from England.

Mario-Rijo
06-23-2010, 10:10 AM

I think LB and the OP was referring to Aroldis because IIRC Pedro Viola is history.

redsfandan
06-23-2010, 01:16 PM
I'm just curious but how does it work with Andy Oliver? The Tigers pitching prospect has already been called up to the majors but he's still scheduled to be in the Futures game. Just didn't think he could do that.

medford
06-23-2010, 02:45 PM
OK, I know Yonder was born in Cuba, but didn't he immigrate to the US when he was like 12? Once you leave Cuba, its not like you can just go back, so I would assume he's a US citizen (or pehaps just an immigrant w/ no citizenship). I would have thought him to be on the US team. Of course, perhaps they needed more players for the international team, so they allowed him to play for the world team cause its not like it really matters.

Regarding Oliver above, I think they need to modify the rules a bit to allow rookies not in the all star game to play in the futures game, so guys like Leake could experience the even not having the opportunity to do so in the past. And if they're going to allow guys to play in this event more than once (I thought that wasn't possible, but some guy is making his 2nd appearance according the article) why not invite Bryce Harper to showcase his future star status talent? Would likely help promote more interest in the game.

GIDP
06-23-2010, 05:53 PM
OK, I know Yonder was born in Cuba, but didn't he immigrate to the US when he was like 12? Once you leave Cuba, its not like you can just go back, so I would assume he's a US citizen (or pehaps just an immigrant w/ no citizenship). I would have thought him to be on the US team. Of course, perhaps they needed more players for the international team, so they allowed him to play for the world team cause its not like it really matters.

Regarding Oliver above, I think they need to modify the rules a bit to allow rookies not in the all star game to play in the futures game, so guys like Leake could experience the even not having the opportunity to do so in the past. And if they're going to allow guys to play in this event more than once (I thought that wasn't possible, but some guy is making his 2nd appearance according the article) why not invite Bryce Harper to showcase his future star status talent? Would likely help promote more interest in the game.

I think its just for making teams sake.

krm1580
06-24-2010, 01:37 PM
2010 Reds representives:

I think the team has some say in who goes and who does not and the case may the Reds were sending guys they were looking to showcase for trades. Alonso is obviously blocked and availabe and Valiquette is a great example of a guy who's percieved value is higher than his real value. When some people see "100 MPH lefty", they tend not to notice "has not developed command or off speed stuff in 5 years in the minors"

OnBaseMachine
07-06-2010, 12:41 PM
Here's a note on Valiqette from Ed Price:

Aroldis Chapman is the most famous lefty at Louisville, Cincinnati's Triple-A affiliate, but a scout who recently saw the Bats said Philippe Valiquette is also pitching well. Valiquette, a 23-year-old Canadian who began the year in Double-A, will be in Sunday's Futures Game.

"They call up both those guys and put them in the bullpen," the scout said, "and [the NL Central race] is over."

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/06/overheard-and-understood-broken-wings-have-kept-jays-from-flyin/

Valiquette can touch 100 mph but he lacks a secondary pitch. He's not ready for the big leagues yet.

GIDP
07-06-2010, 12:47 PM
I don't know if I buy that. They would help, but enough to end a playoff race? Of course that not a completely serious comment probably.

GOYA
07-06-2010, 01:11 PM
I hope that scout doesn't work for us.

medford
07-06-2010, 01:12 PM
Better yet, who does the scout work for, and can we trade 'em Valiquette for our future SS?

RedsFanInBama
07-06-2010, 01:19 PM
Since when is being ready for the major leagues a requirement for being in the major leagues? :p:

But seriously, a lefty throwing 100 should be striking out more guys in the minors than he is. Hopefully he keeps working at it because he could really turn into something special.

LoganBuck
07-07-2010, 12:49 AM
I hope that scout doesn't work for us.

He works for St. Louis.