PDA

View Full Version : The Bronson Arroyo Appreciation Thread

arkimadee
06-23-2010, 12:18 PM
Bronson Arroyo is the man! I came to the conclusion last night that he is the ace of this staff. Sure we get bad Bronson every now and then. That's part of the package. Good Bronson, outweighs bad Bronson by 500 pounds the last couple of years. When this team needs a good start, he delivers. Example, last week against the Dodgers when they beat our brains in for 2 games. Bronson gives us 7 innings of 1 run baseball and we stop what would have been a 7 game losing streak if he would have had a bad performance. If he has a bad game last night, we fall 2 games to the hot Cardinals. Instead we stay at 1 back with a chance to sweep the series and come out with a 3-3 road trip.

I know he's had his ups and downs. I've cursed him a number of times. The man though, has never missed a start with the Reds and never gets too high on his highs and too lows on his lows. If he finishes this season like last season then you better look out. He could have cy-young numbers because his first half was better this year than it was last year. It would be in the best interest of Walt Jocketty to make Bronson apart of his future pitching staff plans by giving him 2 or 3 more years. The man hasn't declined and has been the only sure thing in this pitching staff outside of Mike Leake.

texasdave
06-23-2010, 12:20 PM
:beerme:

The Voice of IH
06-23-2010, 01:50 PM
BA :thumbup:

will5979
06-23-2010, 01:55 PM
Made a special trip to Cincy a few weeks back just to see the man pitch!

malcontent
06-23-2010, 02:07 PM
Couldn't agree more. He solidifies the rotation.

BigPoppa
06-23-2010, 02:35 PM
Agreed. with all the chatter about getting rid of Arroyo and/or Harang, I think it's got to be Harang.

Keep BA. He's already mentoring his little brother Mike Leake :thumbup:

:arroyo: ................ plus he's dreamy :luvu:

Moosie52
06-23-2010, 02:46 PM
He's got confidence, rarely gets rattled.

Vottomatic
06-23-2010, 02:48 PM
Bronson Arroyo is the man! I came to the conclusion last night that he is the ace of this staff. Sure we get bad Bronson every now and then. That's part of the package. Good Bronson, outweighs bad Bronson by 500 pounds the last couple of years. When this team needs a good start, he delivers. Example, last week against the Dodgers when they beat our brains in for 2 games. Bronson gives us 7 innings of 1 run baseball and we stop what would have been a 7 game losing streak if he would have had a bad performance. If he has a bad game last night, we fall 2 games to the hot Cardinals. Instead we stay at 1 back with a chance to sweep the series and come out with a 3-3 road trip.

I know he's had his ups and downs. I've cursed him a number of times. The man though, has never missed a start with the Reds and never gets too high on his highs and too lows on his lows. If he finishes this season like last season then you better look out. He could have cy-young numbers because his first half was better this year than it was last year. It would be in the best interest of Walt Jocketty to make Bronson apart of his future pitching staff plans by giving him 2 or 3 more years. The man hasn't declined and has been the only sure thing in this pitching staff outside of Mike Leake.

I believe the Reds have an option for another year or a buyout option. You never know...........they might decide to pick it up or possibly do a Rolen type contract re-do with an extension at a lower price.

I wouldn't mind that at all.

bounty37h
06-23-2010, 03:06 PM
Dude has been pretty solid for a couple years now.

sabometrics
06-23-2010, 03:39 PM
All I'll say is that despite his salary and having some viable options that are ready/will be ready by next spring I will be very disappointed if the Reds don't pick up his option. Bronson has been as close as we've had to a sure thing year in and year out and he's a great guy to have in the rotational mix.

MrMcConnell
06-23-2010, 03:54 PM
I've always loved him more than any other pitcher on this staff. Too many people underappreciate an innings eater like him.

bshall2105
06-23-2010, 04:02 PM
Bronson thank you for being the coolest, most straight forward in an interview, and most multi-talented player on the Reds.

Kingspoint
06-24-2010, 03:05 AM
:beerme:

Way to go Bronson!

gedred69
06-24-2010, 01:18 PM
I've always loved him more than any other pitcher on this staff. Too many people underappreciate an innings eater like him.

Correct you are!I have been constantly dunb-founded at how Arroyo bashers totally over look this fact. Yes, he always has a bad stretch, but he also always pitches mega-innings, usually has 15 wins, never misses a start, plays great defense, and for a pitcher, he can hit a bit, and during the recent bad stretch, he was the stopper.

Vottomatic
06-27-2010, 06:42 PM
I appreciate him giving up 2 homers to Shin-Soo Choo today. :(

webbbj
06-27-2010, 08:53 PM
i like bronson dont know of hes the ace of the staff and i dont think we have one. everyone is similar in their effectiveness. we basically got 5 C+ to B+ pitchers.

arkimadee
07-08-2010, 11:13 AM
Thank you once again Bronson. We are 3 games in first place thanks to your gem in the queen city! please resign this man

webbbj
07-08-2010, 11:16 AM
love bronson and pleasantly surprised with the consistency he has shown. i think being on a legit contender has him even more focused than ever where in the past he could be distracted with his various interests.

Jack Burton
07-08-2010, 12:05 PM
Been a critic of his in the past but he has definitely stepped it up here recently in some big games. Credit due and excellent performance last night.

arkimadee
08-22-2010, 09:13 PM
bump

New York Red
08-22-2010, 09:54 PM
Bronson is our HORSE. I'm pretty sure he could have gone another inning today - maybe even closed it out himself. He is awesome. Definitely the guy I want pitching Game One of the postseason for us. I run into plenty of Red Sox fans who still hate that they let Bronson get away!

Red Forman
08-22-2010, 09:58 PM
Moi...

I love me sum "BA Slop + Do-Do"!!!!;)

Keep Rockin' Long Hair!!!!:thumbup:

Kingspoint
08-22-2010, 10:33 PM
14-7.

His next win matches his Career High for a single Season.

He's now reached 14 Wins 5 times (all in the last 6 years).

Kingspoint
08-22-2010, 10:37 PM
He's having his worst Strikeout-to-Walk Ratio in the last 8 years, but he's having his best Hits-per-9IP ratio in his entire career.

Kingspoint
08-22-2010, 10:48 PM
The key has been his SLG-Against.

Because he hasn't given up his usual number of extra-base hits (something Harang hasn't been able to figure out in the last 3 years), his OPS-Against is the lowest it's ever been at any time in his career. It's mind-boggling lower, when you consider his career OPS-Against is .750 (an absolutely horrible number for any pitcher, Starter or Reliever) and this year it's only .667. His career SLG-Against is .427. This year it's only .371. His career Batting Average Against is .262. This year it's .229.

He's figured out that it's much more efficient to NOT try to strike people out (unless you're in a jam that requires it), and to get them to hit something that turns into an out.

Not coincidentally, this is the first time he's had a great defense behind him. The 2010 Cincinnati REDS have committed the fewest errors in the National League. Get Gomes out of there and the Defense really improves with an outfield of Heisey, Stubbs and Bruce. Put Janish in there at Shortstop, and the Defense is outstanding.

Stray
08-22-2010, 11:15 PM
My favorite thing about Bronson is that he's as reliable as you will find in all of baseball. He's going to eat up a ton of innings each year for you, pitch you deep into games, and ultimately give us a great chance to win almost all of his starts.

He obviously doesn't have ace stuff, but the post above was an excellent one. He understands how good we are defensively and is using that to his advantage by pitching to contact where he wants. It's a joy to watch a guy like him pitch, and any question on whether we pick up his option or not should be answered by now.