PDA

View Full Version : Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2010, 03:15 PM
From John Fay's twitter:

#Reds will look at bullpen for Chapman. "With Volquez coming on and Bailey not that far away, it's the best opportunity for him," Jocketty.

http://twitter.com/johnfayman

icehole3
06-23-2010, 03:17 PM
good, 100mph fastball, it cant hurt

Tommyjohn25
06-23-2010, 03:18 PM
I used to be dead set against this idea, but it's been slowly growing on me. I don't want him there on a permanent basis though. Continue grooming him as a starter for the long-term.

dunner13
06-23-2010, 03:18 PM
Personally I love the idea. Keeps his innings down this year and lets him pitch with the reds. If he can be a shut down reliever in the 7th and 8th innings for us he could be the difference between us winning the division and another year without making the playoffs. The bullpen is probably his only chance at helping the reds this year.

dunner13
06-23-2010, 03:19 PM
I used to be dead set against this idea, but it's been slowly growing on me. I don't want him there on a permanent basis though. Continue grooming him as a starter for the long-term.

I agree he has to go into spring training next year as a starter, but for this year let him throw out of the pen. He might throw 105mph if he knows he only has to go one inning.

edabbs44
06-23-2010, 03:20 PM
I can get comfortable with this for this year.

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2010, 03:20 PM
*Aroldis Chapman is pitching in relief today for Louisville for the first time this season. And for the first time this year, Reds GM Walt Jocketty indicated that he could be looked to eventually come up as a reliever.

"We may look at that," Jocketty said. "If Volquez comes back and Bailey isn't far away, the best opportunity will be out of the bullpen. But we could still possibly use him as a starter."

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/06/volquez_chapman_leake_--_news.html

I'd continue letting him start in Louisville and then break him into the majors as a reliever to let him get his feet wet, and then ease him into the rotation.

yab1112
06-23-2010, 03:21 PM
Cool. I don't know if this is considered "out of the box" thinking, but it's at least a willingness to be flexible in their plans, which is nice to see.

cumberlandreds
06-23-2010, 03:24 PM
Used to be that most starters broke in as relievers. I wouldn't mind seeing 100 mph heat coming out the bullpen for an inning or two this season.

RedsManRick
06-23-2010, 03:26 PM
Took them long enough. We were on that a month ago. I'm guess Reds brass just didn't want to let the cart get ahead of the horse regarding Volquez's rehab. Chapman in a Neftali Feliz role would make me very happy.

steig
06-23-2010, 03:27 PM
It worked for David Price and helped the Rays get to the world series. It also gets Chapman working with Hernandez again and with Bryan Price

fearofpopvol1
06-23-2010, 03:35 PM
I like the idea, but it seems a little soon. I'd prefer they start this about a month from now, giving him the chance to continue to start in Louisville. Even with Price and Wainwright, they did not bring those guys up in relief until much later in the season.

Then again, maybe the thinking is they need help now and if they don't do something, they're going to be out of the race.

SirFelixCat
06-23-2010, 03:46 PM
I agree he has to go into spring training next year as a starter, but for this year let him throw out of the pen. He might throw 105mph if he knows he only has to go one inning.

:thumbup:

bucksfan2
06-23-2010, 03:48 PM
I like the idea, but it seems a little soon. I'd prefer they start this about a month from now, giving him the chance to continue to start in Louisville. Even with Price and Wainwright, they did not bring those guys up in relief until much later in the season.

Then again, maybe the thinking is they need help now and if they don't do something, they're going to be out of the race.

I don't know. I think his stuff is ready for the major league level. I think he needs some fine tuning and thats the the reason why he has been down in AAA so far this season. I don't exactly think him pitching out of the pen would be all that difficult come July or August. Give him the ball every couple of days, put him in a comfortable situation (against a lefty or to start an inning) and let him throw. I don't think this hurts his development nor do I think his future is in the pen. I just think it makes the most sense for the Reds this season.

RedsManRick
06-23-2010, 03:49 PM

It doesn't seem like a call-up is imminent. They just positioning him for the opportunity to be called up down the road.

Roy Tucker
06-23-2010, 03:49 PM
Very good.

If I have the choice between 2 guys where one is an "A"-rated starter and one is a "C"-rated reliever, I'd rather bring up the better arm regardless of the titles starter and reliever.

medford
06-23-2010, 03:50 PM
How many innings has Chapman thrown this year, and how many could he get if he was moved to the pen in cincy starting this week (or to the pen in Louisville until the all star break?) If you still plan on having him as a starter next year, he's going to need to build up enough innings this year. Seems if they convert him now, they'll have to worry about how many innings he throws next season. Ideally, he could get about 150 innings this season and be ready for a bump up to 180ish next year.

nemesis
06-23-2010, 03:50 PM
You could use him strictly as a Loogy and use ML Vets Rhodes and Bray as full inning guys. 1 LH who deals 92 - 94, One who can throw 93 - 96 and another who throws 98 -103... That is unreal good.

edabbs44
06-23-2010, 03:54 PM
How many innings has Chapman thrown this year, and how many could he get if he was moved to the pen in cincy starting this week (or to the pen in Louisville until the all star break?) If you still plan on having him as a starter next year, he's going to need to build up enough innings this year. Seems if they convert him now, they'll have to worry about how many innings he throws next season. Ideally, he could get about 150 innings this season and be ready for a bump up to 180ish next year.

There's also the possibility that the Reds don't believe in the 30 inning rule.

RedsManRick
06-23-2010, 03:55 PM

It doesn't seem like a call-up is imminent. They just positioning him for the opportunity to be called up down the road.

medford
06-23-2010, 03:59 PM
There's also the possibility that the Reds don't believe in the 30 inning rule.

That could be true, but then why the talk coming out of the Reds brass about limiting Mike Leake's innings going forward? Sounds like they believe in some sort of increased innings rule. I'd hate to see Chapmann get limitted to 100 innings this season, then here talk about him having his innings limited again next season. I'd like him to be ready to handle a traditional 5th spot role next year, if he's good enough to earn it.

reds44
06-23-2010, 04:00 PM
This makes all the sense in the world.

edabbs44
06-23-2010, 04:04 PM
That could be true, but then why the talk coming out of the Reds brass about limiting Mike Leake's innings going forward? Sounds like they believe in some sort of increased innings rule. I'd hate to see Chapmann get limitted to 100 innings this season, then here talk about him having his innings limited again next season. I'd like him to be ready to handle a traditional 5th spot role next year, if he's good enough to earn it.

Agreed, but the issue might just be total innings in one year and not year to year.

Leake threw 142 innings at ASU last year and 19 in the AFL. 161 total. Jocketty said that their round number for Leake is 170ish.

REDREAD
06-23-2010, 04:19 PM
As long as Chapman is able to consistently throw strikes, I guess I am ok with it.

Still, I'd much rather think long term and leave Chapman in the rotation to get more innings in AAA (and a more predictable schedule). IMO, a trade needs to be made to address the bullpen.

RedLegSuperStar
06-23-2010, 04:31 PM
I'm not in favor of the move.. He was signed to be a starter and possible a front line starter but putting him in the pen might mess with the young kids mechanics/pitching mentallity

RedLegSuperStar
06-23-2010, 04:33 PM
I love how they say Homer is coming back when he hasn't thrown a pitch in almost a month..

redsfandan
06-23-2010, 04:37 PM
Before today, Chapman had thrown 65.2 innings. 150 innings for the year might be pushing it if he's pitching in relief.

fearofpopvol1
06-23-2010, 04:39 PM

See, I think it is imminent. I think he'll be up before the ASB. I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

edabbs44
06-23-2010, 04:40 PM
I love how they say Homer is coming back when he hasn't thrown a pitch in almost a month..

As long as everyone stays healthy and to the plan, this is a great opportunity to try Homer out in the pen. Volquez replaces LeCure and Bailey/Chapman head to the bullpen.

RED VAN HOT
06-23-2010, 04:40 PM
Good move. The need for bullpen arms is greater than for starters. Reds have more good starter candidates than reliever candidates. The Reds are particularly in need of power arms out of the pen. Chapman satisfies that need better than any of the other potentially converted starters. Chapman can get by with a fast ball in short stints, giving him time to develop his secondary pitches selectively.

With the emergence of Jordan Smith, the return of Bray, and conversion of Chapman, the bull pen will look very different in the second half. If the starters stay healthy, pitching could be the strength many of us thought it would be at the start of the season.

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2010, 04:58 PM
From Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse - Volquez, Chapman Poised to Join Reds In Different Roles

Although it would have been logical to think that the Reds would move Chapman to the bullpen as a means of limiting his innings, Jocketty said Chapman has enough arm strength that he could continue to start through the end of September.

"He has a pretty resilient arm," Jocketty said, adding that there is still no timetable for Chapman's promotion, although it seems the time is coming near.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/06/23/volquez-chapman-poised-to-join-reds-in-different-roles/

Scrap Irony
06-23-2010, 05:38 PM
I'm guessing Chapman comes up fairly soon. If Bailey is good to go when he starts throwing again, that's three high leverage bullpen arms. Add in LeCure when Volquez comes back and the Red pen will likely look like this;

Cordero
Rhodes
Bailey
Chapman
LeCure
Bray
Masset/ Owings/ Smith/ Ondrusek

Pretty impressive group of arms there. I'd guess LeCure as long man, with Bray as LOOGY, Masset as middle reliever, and Bailey, Chapman, and Rhodes as set-up men. This might also allow Baker a chance to use someone other than Cordero as closer occasionally. It will also almost certainly allow Baker a chance to use a good arm in high leverage situations throughout the game. With four former starters in the pen, they can also go multiple innings if needed as well. (This should really assist Leake and Volquez as they try to limit innings going forward.)

I'm guessing, because he needs innings, Chapman will go multiple innings to begin with. Two or three innings at a time, IMO, as starters fail to get through the sixth.

If Jocketty can find another starter, the pen becomes even stronger as well.

11larkin11
06-23-2010, 06:17 PM
We forget that Burton is down there too, as well as LeCure (or whoever Homer eventually replaces)

KoryMac5
06-23-2010, 06:31 PM
Chapman has stated he takes awhile to get loose which could cause him to have troubles in the pen. Not against the move as I think it could help him build confidence going into next season. I also wonder how Chapman feels about the possible move?

I have to think if he does well tonight we will see both Bray and Chapman called up.

Sea Ray
06-24-2010, 03:59 PM
See, I think it is imminent. I think he'll be up before the ASB. I'd be surprised if he wasn't.

Unless someone gets hurt I don't think a promotion is imminent. My guess is he won't be up until sometime in August. There's too other guys ahead of him in the pecking order, Volquez, Burton, Bray, Bailey

Sea Ray
06-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Chapman has stated he takes awhile to get loose which could cause him to have troubles in the pen. Not against the move as I think it could help him build confidence going into next season. I also wonder how Chapman feels about the possible move?

I have to think if he does well tonight we will see both Bray and Chapman called up.

For that reason he ought to be used for 2-3 innings at a time

Caveat Emperor
06-24-2010, 04:35 PM
I wouldn't be shocked to learn that this was the plan all along for Chapman -- pitch him as a starter to get his innings up and let him work on things, then move him to the bullpen down the stretch for a late-season call up to the majors.

I think the plan might've been sidetracked a bit when he dominated in spring training and competed for a roster spot, but I don't doubt that Jocketty considered this a possible outcome from day 1.

mth123
06-24-2010, 06:36 PM
I repeat for the umpteenth time - 125 IP in the AAA rotation and 20 to 25 IP in the Reds pen in August and September. It prepares him for a bigger load next year when he's likely rotation bound, gets his feet wet and acclimation to the big leagues out of the way and hopefully helps the Reds down the stretch in the race. Until then, there are other arms to audition in various roles including Wood, Maloney, Bray, Burton and maybe Valiquette while also possibly getting another look at Fisher and Del Rosario and trying to figure how Bailey, Volquez and Lecure all fit.

The Reds don't need to jeopardize 2011 and Chapman's likely spot in the rotation by cutting his innings short with a premature move to the pen. They can wait another 7 or 8 starts or so IMO.

Will M
06-24-2010, 07:19 PM
I repeat for the umpteenth time - 125 IP in the AAA rotation and 20 to 25 IP in the Reds pen in August and September. It prepares him for a bigger load next year when he's likely rotation bound, gets his feet wet and acclimiation to the big leagues out of the way and hopefully helps the Reds down the stretch in the race. Until then, there are other arms to audition in various roles including Wood, Maloney, Bray, Burton and maybe Valiquette while also possibly getting another look at Fisher and Del Rosario and trying to figure how Bailey, Volquez and Lecure all fit.

The Reds don't need to jeopardize 2011 and Chapman's likely spot in the rotation by cutting his innings short with a premature move to the pen. They can wait another 7 or 8 starts or so IMO.

i'm curious. i believe you didn't like my suggestion of moving Leake to the pen at a certain point yet you suggest a similar scenario for Chapman. why the difference in the way you would approach these two young pitchers?

mth123
06-24-2010, 07:38 PM
i'm curious. i believe you didn't like my suggestion of moving Leake to the pen at a certain point yet you suggest a similar scenario for Chapman. why the difference in the way you would approach these two young pitchers?

Good question. I probably don't have a good enough answer, but I think Leake's ability to keep hitters off balance by a varying assortment of pitches strikes me as a guy who is just made for going through a line-up three times and much of that value is lost in 1 or 2 inning stints. I'd rather ride Leake's rotational strengths for a few more starts, than move him to the pen to get more days out of him.

As for Chapman, his strengths are accentuated in short stints by coming out of the pen throwing 100 MPH and slamming the door shut.

That said, if moving Leake to the pen is what it takes to keep the team from pushing him past 175 IP, I'm all for it.

Scrap Irony
06-24-2010, 07:44 PM
The problem with waiting 7 or 8 more starts, mth, is that the Reds might be stuck with the pen they have now for those 35-40 more games. That might mean two or three wins.

In a division this tight, are you willing to punt those wins for player development in 2011?

mth123
06-24-2010, 07:52 PM
The problem with waiting 7 or 8 more starts, mth, is that the Reds might be stuck with the pen they have now for those 35-40 more games. That might mean two or three wins.

In a division this tight, are you willing to punt those wins for player development in 2011?

Yes. In the mean time, Bray, Wood, Maloney, Bailey, et al provide ample opportunity to improve the pen.

Actually, my preference would be to deal a couple for some one else more established to improve the pen w/o upsetting the timetable of Chapman.

Chapman himself is still a question mark and there is no more guarantee that punting those innings would do much more to improve the pen than adding Bill Bray or Phil Valiquette.

Scrap Irony
06-24-2010, 08:22 PM
Fair enough. I think I disagree, but I can see your point, too.

Will M
06-24-2010, 09:17 PM
Good question. I probably don't have a good enough answer, but I think Leake's ability to keep hitters off balance by a varying assortment of pitches strikes me as a guy who is just made for going through a line-up three times and much of that value is lost in 1 or 2 inning stints. I'd rather ride Leake's rotational strengths for a few more starts, than move him to the pen to get more days out of him.

As for Chapman, his strengths are accentuated in short stints by coming out of the pen throwing 100 MPH and slamming the door shut.

That said, if moving Leake to the pen is what it takes to keep the team from pushing him past 175 IP, I'm all for it.

thanks.

OnBaseMachine
06-25-2010, 08:37 PM
From Brian Giesenschlag:

Jocketty says Chapman will be in Reds bullpen in a few weeks.

http://twitter.com/FOX19Brian

Scrap Irony
06-25-2010, 11:24 PM
Three weeks, according to the telecast.

OnBaseMachine
06-26-2010, 11:30 PM
Chapman made his second relief appearance tonight for Louisville and he dominated. He threw a 1-2-3 inning with two strikeouts and threw only nine pitches, seven for strikes.

Will M
06-28-2010, 12:29 AM
Fangraphs weighs in: http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/reds-doing-the-earl-weaver-with-chapman/

OnBaseMachine
06-28-2010, 01:56 PM
Nice article by Michael Grant in the Louisville Courier-Journal:

"I think I'm ready to play in the big leagues," he said through Bats trainer/interpreter Tomas Vera. "I just have to wait for them to give me the opportunity. I'm a patient person."

"He's learning a lot," said Power, a former major leaguer. "If you go out there and try and throw 102 mph because you can, you're going to wear yourself down pretty fast. ... His command is getting much better. His understanding of pitching in certain situations is getting much better."

Edinson Volquez, the Cincinnati Reds ace who is rehabbing with the Bats, has been imparting some veteran wisdom.

"He needs to prepare more before the game," he said. "He's got great stuff. He's still young. He has to attack the zone and be aggressive, because he has a good fastball. He can do whatever he wants."

Chapman is paying attention.

"I'm a person that listens a lot," he said. "Whenever someone gives me good advice, I listen."

http://www.courier-journal.com/article/20100627/SPORTS07/6270360/1036/Bats++pitcher+Chapman+could+be+a+relief+for+the+Re ds

OnBaseMachine
06-29-2010, 07:09 PM
From Mark Sheldon:

*Aroldis Chapman has three innings in two appearances since moving to the Triple-A Louisville bullpen. So far, he's allowed one run with two hits, one walk and five strikeouts. Chapman is scheduled to work two innings tonight after Edinson Volquez makes another rehab assignment start.

"Excellent," GM Walt Jocketty said when asked how Chapman was doing as a reliever. "His last time out [on Saturday], he pitched one inning and faced two left-handed hitters and struck them out. He got the right-hander out. In that one performance, he was dominating.

"We've got him on a program for a couple of weeks to pitch an inning, get a day or two off, then a couple of innings. It's a regular program so he doesn't end up hurting himself."

http://marksheldon.mlblogs.com/archives/2010/06/no_rolen_stubbs.html

OnBaseMachine
06-29-2010, 07:24 PM
From John Fay:

–Aroldis Chapman should be with the club shortly after the break if he continues to throw well in relief.

He’s given up one run in three innings. He’s walked one and struck out five.

“We won’t make a decision until after the break,” Jocketty said. “We’ve got him on schedule to get him comfortable with throwing in relief. He was dominant in one inning the other day. He’s scheduled to throw two innings tonight. We want him to get his arm used to recovery.”

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/29/talking-to-walt/?GID=umEx5/NbvYjE2FsXo0na/KVzjtnIfdayLKsWf9Rnnck%3D

OnBaseMachine
07-02-2010, 02:10 AM
J.J. Cooper of Baseball America was in attendance for Chapman's relief appearance a couple nights ago. Here are some of his observations:

"This guy could change the pennant race," a scout said before quickly adding, "if he can throw strikes."

It was worth adding the caveat. The first pitch out of Chapman's hand was a 99 mph strike. He got to 1-2 on Dioner Navarro with an sharp 89 mph slider that would freeze just about any hitter, but then he humped up and overthrew a 103 mph fastball that hit Navarro. That ended up being a snapshot of what Chapman did on Tuesday–he showed lots of velocity and sometimes unhittable stuff, but he also was very prone to losing a pitch every now and then, with painful and sometimes scary results.

"There are a lot of moving parts," the scout said in explaining why Chapman's control seems to come and go. The scout added that he liked how the 6-foot-4, 185-pound Chapman's delivery from the stretch does a good job of hiding the ball–something that's not easy to do with the lanky body and long arms that help explain Chapman's unrivaled velocity.

http://www.baseballamerica.com/blog/prospects/?p=9221#more-9221

The first quote in the bottom paragraph is one of the biggest reasons I'm so excited about Chapman. Tweaking his mechanics in order to sharpen up his control is fixable. I'm not an expert on mechanics or anything but it seems like most young pitchers struggle with their mechanics early in their career. I have faith that Bryan Price and the Reds will correct that issue.

Degenerate39
07-03-2010, 04:13 AM
This is exciting. I hope to get to see him pitch live in a game this year

OnBaseMachine
07-06-2010, 01:40 PM
From Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse:

• Aroldis Chapman is the most famous lefty at Louisville, Cincinnati's Triple-A affiliate, but a scout who recently saw the Bats said Philippe Valiquette is also pitching well. Valiquette, a 23-year-old Canadian who began the year in Double-A, will be in Sunday's Futures Game.

"They call up both those guys and put them in the bullpen," the scout said, "and [the NL Central race] is over."

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/06/overheard-and-understood-broken-wings-have-kept-jays-from-flyin/

Valiquette can touch 100 mph but he lacks a secondary pitch. He's not ready for the big leagues yet.

OnBaseMachine
07-30-2010, 11:03 PM
I think it's only a matter of time before we see Chapman in Cincinnati. He threw another 1-2-3 inning tonight and picked up his first save. He has been dominating lately.

His last seven appearances:

7 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 1 BB, 11 K

OnBaseMachine
08-01-2010, 09:08 PM
From John Erardi:

SPEAKING OF THE PEN: Cuban fireballer Aroldis Chapman is close to being ready to be called to the big leagues, said Reds general manager Walt Jocketty.

The Reds have received “very good” reports on him, he said.

“The reports are he’s adapting and feeling more comfortable down there (coming out of the bullpen),” Jocketty said.

It’s just a matter of some refinement for Chapman now – getting 100 percent command and consistency.

The biggest thing for Chapman coming into these pennant-race games is being able to throw strikes.

“His stuff is so good, if he can throw strikes (he’ll get hitters out),” Jocketty said.

“We’ll see how he is in the next couple of weeks.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100801/SPT04/308010055/1071/Middle-men-make-the-difference

RedLegSuperStar
08-01-2010, 11:06 PM
From John Erardi:

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100801/SPT04/308010055/1071/Middle-men-make-the-difference

We could use him for the St Louis series and not to mention the dreaded west coast swing.

OnBaseMachine
08-01-2010, 11:12 PM
Chapman may have speeded up his call up tonight as he had yet another dominant outing:

2 IP, 0 H, 0 R, 1 BB, 4 K, 2 GO/0 FO, 24 pitches/16 strikes

His last eight appearanes:

9.1 IP, 6 H, 0 ER, 2 BB, 15 K

11larkin11
08-01-2010, 11:29 PM
Chapman may have speeded up his call up tonight as he had yet another dominant outing:

Sped.

http://www.threadbombing.com/data/media/21/grammar-nazi.jpg

RED VAN HOT
08-01-2010, 11:53 PM
The Reds will have plenty of bullpen depth in September. The issue will be determining which players appear on the roster August 31. No doubt the Reds will want to take a look at Chapman, Springer, Isringhausen, and Burton before then. On the other hand, they need to get to September in good shape and the current bullpen is looking strong of late. Similarly, they must whittle the starters down to a favored five. August will be interesting.

Spitball
08-02-2010, 12:00 AM
Sped.

I'm not sure the grammar police are really needed on a baseball forum, but the verbal phrase speeded up is acceptable by many experts.

Playadlc
08-02-2010, 12:11 AM

Just got back from the Bats game tonight. Even though I was have drunk by the time Chapman came in, it was hard not to notice how electric his stuff was tonight. He inherited a pretty tough situation...1st and 3rd with no one out and the game on the line. He got out of the jam and helped the Bats go on to win.

In warm ups he was hitting 100-102 consistently. Kid is a flat stud.

OnBaseMachine
08-02-2010, 11:55 AM
Sped.

I'm not too worried about it. We say things differently in West Virginia. :)

RedsManRick
08-02-2010, 12:12 PM
Who does Chapman replace? Bray, Smith and Ondrusek seem to be the only real candidates and Smith and Ondrusek have both been very good.

membengal
08-02-2010, 12:20 PM
Replaces Bray would be my guess.

flyer85
08-02-2010, 12:25 PM
IMO he would become the best reliever the Reds have ... thus it doesn't really matter who he replaces.

_Sir_Charles_
08-02-2010, 12:29 PM
Who does Chapman replace? Bray, Smith and Ondrusek seem to be the only real candidates and Smith and Ondrusek have both been very good.

I'd replace somebody that doesn't get used. Janish.

klw
08-02-2010, 01:36 PM
. Even though I was have drunk by the time Chapman came in, it was hard not to notice how electric his stuff was tonight.

I really enjoyed this line. thank you.

Hoosier Red
08-02-2010, 02:55 PM
We could use him for the St Louis series and not to mention the dreaded west coast swing.

I wonder how much faster that 102 MPH heat looks in August when the bats as a whole have slowed down just a fraction of a second.

Mario-Rijo
08-02-2010, 03:04 PM
I wonder how much faster that 102 MPH heat looks in August when the bats as a whole have slowed down just a fraction of a second.

Not sure it matters if they don't have to take it off their shoulder. I gotta say I think the Reds are making a mistake bringing him up at all this season.

Cedric
08-02-2010, 03:04 PM
Chapman is almost ready. He would instantly be our best reliever. You don't wait on that because of a middling bullpen arm.

Mario-Rijo
08-02-2010, 03:06 PM
Chapman is almost ready. He would instantly be our best reliever. You don't wait on that because of a middling bullpen arm.

He will be if he can throw strikes otherwise he would become our worst.

Cedric
08-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Considering they have junked the off speed "quota," it's apparent he's the best we would have.

Chapman has been excellent this year in every way. Jocketty and the rest of the brass realize his BB/9 numbers are completely irrelevant considering how they had him pitch.

reds44
08-02-2010, 03:11 PM
Chapman's control almost means literally nothing out of the pen. He can come and be effectively wild, like Carlos Marmol. If he had a 25-30 pitch inning, so be it.

Worry about his control next year when he is a starter. Right now, as long as he's getitng people out that's all that matters.

The dude throws 103. If he can just get anything offspeed over the plate, he's going to be tough to hit.

RedsManRick
08-02-2010, 03:18 PM
Chapman's control almost means literally nothing out of the pen. He can come and be effectively wild, like Carlos Marmol. If he had a 25-30 pitch inning, so be it.

Worry about his control next year when he is a starter. Right now, as long as he's getitng people out that's all that matters.

The dude throws 103. If he can just get anything offspeed over the plate, he's going to be tough to hit.

I know they want him to be a starter, but I would not be surprised at all if he went the route of Neftali Feliz. Feliz has the repitoire of a starter, but coming out of the pen he can be dominant throwing 75% fastballs with a some changes and curves mixed it.

I could see him prepping to be a starter in 2011, but not being one of the 5 best in camp and then staying on as a bullpen arm.

RED VAN HOT
08-02-2010, 03:31 PM
His effectiveness at ML level is still an open issue. He could be very, very good or bad. I do think an audition is warranted. My hunch is that the Reds will take a look at him during the next home stand, probably in the Florida games. I really don't think the Reds will be asking much more than heat. If he remains composed and pitches well, they will take him west. Otherwise, there are too many important games and other pitchers that are doing well to afford the luxury of a ML learning curve for Chapman at this juncture.

Hoosier Red
08-02-2010, 03:32 PM
Not sure it matters if they don't have to take it off their shoulder. I gotta say I think the Reds are making a mistake bringing him up at all this season.

Just curious why you think his control is likely to get worse when he comes to the majors. 5.2 BB/9 is nothing to write home about, but it's gotten much better since he went to the pen. He's now at about 4.11 BB/9, 13.27 K/9, and 3.22 K/BB since becoming a reliever.

*Source: http://www.minorleaguesplits.com/cgi-bin/pl.cgi?pl=547973

In July and August combined, his FIP is 2.11.

If he's not ready now, what would prove him to be ready to contribute?

flyer85
08-02-2010, 03:37 PM
He will be if he can throw strikes otherwise he would become our worst.Reds have numerous relievers that struggle to throw strikes (Cordero, Massett, Bray)

buckeyenut
08-02-2010, 04:14 PM
The Reds will have plenty of bullpen depth in September. The issue will be determining which players appear on the roster August 31. No doubt the Reds will want to take a look at Chapman, Springer, Isringhausen, and Burton before then. On the other hand, they need to get to September in good shape and the current bullpen is looking strong of late. Similarly, they must whittle the starters down to a favored five. August will be interesting.Isn't there some sort of trick that Jocketty did recently with 40 man and 60 day DL which might let us bring Chapman up even if he didn't make it onto roster by sept 1?

Danny Serafini
08-02-2010, 04:44 PM
Isn't there some sort of trick that Jocketty did recently with 40 man and 60 day DL which might let us bring Chapman up even if he didn't make it onto roster by sept 1?

It was calling up Jose Arredondo and putting him on the DL. If you've got a player on the DL on August 31st you're allowed to replace that player with a healthy one on your playoff roster. That will allow the Reds an extra pitcher to choose from, since he has no chance of being active for the playoffs.

VR
08-02-2010, 04:48 PM
Cordero to the DL, Chapman up. Ideal.

RedsManRick
08-02-2010, 05:10 PM
Hoosier, the argument would likely be that part of his control is the result of guys chasing pitches, turning would be balls in to strikes. If major leaguers generally have better pitch recognition and discipline, those "control" issues, as measured by BB rate, could show up.