PDA

View Full Version : Anonymous Votto Posts All-Star Numbers

OnBaseMachine
06-23-2010, 04:54 PM
Nice article by Jeff Fletcher from AOL Fanhouse.

All of that contributes to Votto's lack of recognition, as does the fact that he doesn't want the spotlight.

"He doesn't play the game for that reason," said Reds outfielder Jay Bruce, who calls Votto one of his closest friends on the team. "He plays the game to win and to be the best. All that stuff (the notoriety) is a byproduct of being a talented, good player. Once we continue winning, he'll get his due."

He ought to get some now.

Votto is a career .310 hitter. He hit 24 and 25 homers in his first two full major league seasons, and he drove in exactly 84 runs both years. This year he's on pace to break the 30 and 100 barriers.

Votto's OPS since 2008 is .934, which is fifth best in the majors over that span. The only players ahead of him are Pujols, Manny Ramirez, Kevin Youkilis and Miguel Cabrera. Among the top 21 players in OPS over that span, Votto is the only one who has never made an All-Star team.

full article:
http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/06/23/anonymous-votto-posts-all-star-numbers/

fearofpopvol1
06-23-2010, 05:16 PM
Interesting. 2nd best OPS in the NL, behind Pujols.

CarolinaRedleg
06-23-2010, 05:34 PM
Definitely deserving. We know Pujols is a shoo-in for starter at 1B and Cholly's probably bringing Howard. I'd say it's down to Votto and Prince for the other 1B spot.

blumj
06-23-2010, 05:49 PM
Definitely deserving. We know Pujols is a shoo-in for starter at 1B and Cholly's probably bringing Howard. I'd say it's down to Votto and Prince for the other 1B spot.
The players vote in a reserve at each position, and the NL manager gets to select a DH. With 6 OFers voted onto the team by fans and players, they could wind up with 4 1B on the roster.

Johnny Footstool
06-23-2010, 06:38 PM
Anyone still think he is a replaceable bat?

Chip R
06-23-2010, 07:05 PM

Sure. If he's replaced with Pujols, Gonzalez, Howard or Fielder. ;)

HeatherC1212
06-23-2010, 11:29 PM
Really great article and I especially love the part I posted below. :)

Votto, who is hitting .310 with 15 homers and 47 RBI, said he's aware of the difficulty of making an All-Star team against that competition.

"There are some really excellent players out there right now, especially at the first base position," he said. "That's not a bad thing. If you like competing against your contemporaries, they kind of push you a little bit."

KronoRed
06-23-2010, 11:31 PM

If only he tried harder.... :D

Nasty_Boy
06-24-2010, 01:27 AM
If he only didn't look so sad all the time!

HeatherC1212
06-24-2010, 10:13 PM
Another Joey article was just posted on reds.com today. I'm glad Charlie Manuel has Joey on his radar for the All Star game. If Joey can just kick the crap out of Philly in the next few weeks, Charlie will have to take him, LOL :thumbup:

Link: http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100624&content_id=11532372&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin&partnerId=rss_cin

Entering Thursday's action, Votto's .308 batting average through 67 games was eighth in the NL. He was tied for the team lead with 15 home runs, which was fifth in the league. He has 47 RBIs, and his .409 on-base percentage was good for third in the league. In his past 11 games, he is batting .341 with four homers.

Yet it's hard for some to discover that Votto is a deserving All-Star. Besides his having a quieter persona, the Reds are a small-market club that has endured a decade without winning. There is also an overflow of extremely talented first basemen in the NL, including leading vote-getter Albert Pujols plus the likes of Ryan Howard, Adrian Gonzalez, Prince Fielder and several others.

Phillies manager Charlie Manuel, who will skipper the NL All-Star squad, indicated the choice will be tough.

"I like Joey. I pull for Joey," Manuel said. "I've been watching him. I got 'em [on my radar]. There are a whole lot of first basemen in there. But he's a good hitter. He's a tremendous hitter."

OnBaseMachine
06-26-2010, 01:19 PM
From the Reds twitter page:

Votto's 33-game on-base streak is longest by Red since Dante Bichette's 33-game streak in 2000. Next up, Dave Collins' 34-gamer in 1981.

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds

VR
06-26-2010, 01:24 PM
From the Reds twitter page:

Votto's 33-game on-base streak is longest by Red since Dante Bichette's 33-game streak in 2000. Next up, Dave Collins' 34-gamer in 1981.

http://twitter.com/CincinnatiReds

That's impressive. Didn't Ted Williams set the record w/ 83 or so?

Tony Cloninger
06-26-2010, 01:28 PM
Who misses Dante Bichette in RF during 2000?? :D

I remember of Fastball.com.....there were more than a few posters who basically had a CP/WT like hate for him up until around June when he started hitting right on through his trade to BOS for Reitsma.

VR
06-26-2010, 01:44 PM
Who misses Dante Bichette in RF during 2000?? :D

I remember of Fastball.com.....there were more than a few posters who basically had a CP/WT like hate for him up until around June when he started hitting right on through his trade to BOS for Reitsma.

I think it was a major reason the Reds didn't win in 2000. Had they known they'd get Griffey....they'd have been better off w/ Hammonds and Belinda than Bichette....who seemed to age 10 years between the 99 and '00 seasons. He made Dunner and Gomes look like gold glovers as well...what a train wreck in the outfield.

Tony Cloninger
06-26-2010, 01:52 PM
Hammonds got way too much money from MIL to sign here....Tucker was still there....but Barry played only 100 games and was done.... Reese reverted back to the way OC is hitting now.

I also think the pitching reverted back to less than stellar.

I agree though that If they had known...then maybe they play Tucker more and I think they also had Alex Ochoa that year as well.

Cedric
06-26-2010, 01:58 PM
Hammonds got way too much money from MIL to sign here....Tucker was still there....but Barry played only 100 games and was done.... Reese reverted back to the way OC is hitting now.

I also think the pitching reverted back to less than stellar.

I agree though that If they had known...then maybe they play Tucker more and I think they also had Alex Ochoa that year as well.

Steve Parris, Pete Harnisch, Elmer Dessens, and Tomko were key guys in 99 right? Looking back it's not shocking why the Reds fell back to earth so fast.

Tony Cloninger
06-26-2010, 02:12 PM
Harnisch was actually pretty decent for them....and Dessens ended up being one of their best long men/swing starters. Neagle was traded in that great Drew Henson deal.

But yes...besides the bullpen.....and it did not pitch as well in 2000 as in 1999....even Williamson was moved into the rotation beacuse it was not consistent at all.

VR
06-26-2010, 02:20 PM
Steve Parris, Pete Harnisch, Elmer Dessens, and Tomko were key guys in 99 right? Looking back it's not shocking why the Reds fell back to earth so fast.

Elmo wasn't around and Tomko was shipped off....but yeah, Parris came back to earth with a thud and Pete/ Neagle battled injuries. Williamson was also cast into a starter's role that wasn't beneficial to anyone.

Tony Cloninger
06-26-2010, 02:24 PM
Dessens was there though.....had no idea where he came from and I think his first game was a 14-1 rout by the Phillies....were he pitched in the middle innings.

He is the type of long man this team wishes it had now. He did a good job doing that form them in 2000.

HeatherC1212
06-26-2010, 11:34 PM
To get this thread back more on track and away from the random bad memories ;), congrats to Joey on extending his on base streak to 34 games after walking late in the game tonight. :D

traderumor
06-27-2010, 09:58 AM
So, I'm listening to the Padres telecast Thursday and the announcer was disappointed because Adrian Gonzalez was only 6th in AS voting, behind "Joey Votto (emphasize disbelieving condescending tone of voice in repeating name)....JOEY VOTTO. Apparently the Cincinnati fans have gotten out to vote more than San Diego fans."

Made me look up the numbers, and lo and behold, Votto and Gonzalez are very similar hitters performance wise. I guess you could say they are both anonymous. I'll take the younger, cheaper one, BTW ;)

OnBaseMachine
06-29-2010, 03:28 PM
This was at the bottom of Ken Rosenthal's latest column:

* Just sayin’:
Albert Pujols: .305/.420/.542
Joey Votto: .312/.415/.559

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/cliff-lee-trade-market-wide-open-ken-rosenthal-062910

Raisor
06-29-2010, 03:48 PM
I can't help myself.

I'm tired of seeing Joey Votto go down to one knee when he swings a bat. He does this nearly one at bat a game now, sometimes more. He's gone from a sure-bet that we all thought we had to a guy who now really has no business hitting third in any MLB lineup let alone ours. Joey, big league hitters don't hit from a knee, no excuses. Stop doing it. It looks terrible. It's Bush League.

:ughmamoru

Razor Shines
06-29-2010, 03:51 PM
I can't help myself.

:ughmamoru

He did it the other day and I also thought of that post and I laughed and I laughed.

blumj
06-29-2010, 03:52 PM
He did it the other day and I also thought of that post and I laughed and I laughed.
Adrian Beltre has 3 one knee HRs this season. It's hysterical.

Chip R
06-29-2010, 03:56 PM
So, I'm listening to the Padres telecast Thursday and the announcer was disappointed because Adrian Gonzalez was only 6th in AS voting, behind "Joey Votto (emphasize disbelieving condescending tone of voice in repeating name)....JOEY VOTTO. Apparently the Cincinnati fans have gotten out to vote more than San Diego fans."

Made me look up the numbers, and lo and behold, Votto and Gonzalez are very similar hitters performance wise. I guess you could say they are both anonymous. I'll take the younger, cheaper one, BTW ;)

They both suffer from not playing in a large market. If either one played in NY or CHI or BOS, we'd get sick of hearing about them. I know Joey doesn't get a lot of attention but it's almost tragic the lack of attention Gonzalez receives.

Caveat Emperor
06-29-2010, 04:32 PM
Joey Votto is currently leading the National League in OPS at .974. I'm openly curious if there has ever been a player leading the league in OPS to not make an All Star team.

Personally, I'd rather see Joey in a playing baseball in mid-October for the Reds instead of mid-July for an exhibition game.

Chip R
06-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Personally, I'd rather see Joey in a playing baseball in mid-October for the Reds instead of mid-July for an exhibition game.

I doubt he will do himself any harm playing an inning or two or pinch hitting or whatever. I'd be more concerned if he were a pitcher.

Raisor
06-29-2010, 04:52 PM
If Joey doesn't make the team I say Puffy needs to go TP Selig's house.

HeatherC1212
06-29-2010, 05:01 PM

I'll buy the toilet paper. :p:

LincolnparkRed
06-29-2010, 05:03 PM

I'll help, he can pick me up on the way. I'll even buy at Costco. How many rolls can fit in his trunk? I am sure someone can tell us where he lives when we hit Milwaukee.

Caveat Emperor
06-29-2010, 07:24 PM
I doubt he will do himself any harm playing an inning or two or pinch hitting or whatever. I'd be more concerned if he were a pitcher.

I'm not worried about injury at all -- it's more a comment on the fact that this team has bigger issues to worry about than the All Star roster.

Fortunately, I think if I had to pick a player who would be LEAST susceptible to such distractions, I'd say it would be Joey Votto.

westofyou
06-29-2010, 07:32 PM
The AS game is almost a joke, here's some proof:

Placido Polanco goes into the final days of All-Star fan voting with a dwindling lead over David Wright for the starting spot at third base on the National League team. Polanco's edge was down to about 23,000 votes in results released Tuesday. The Philadelphia Phillies star led his New York Mets counterpart by 130,000 votes last week

Raisor
06-29-2010, 11:01 PM
another big night for the Slumping Joey Votto.

OnBaseMachine
06-30-2010, 02:25 AM
That home run Votto hit tonight was epic. If Charlie Manuel doesn't pick him for the All-Star Game after that then something is wrong.