PDA

View Full Version : Can the June swoon talk end now?

stevekun
06-23-2010, 07:56 PM
Can it end now that we swept the A's or do we need to win more to end it? Just wondering. That was a HUGE sweep for us though. Go Reds!

Griffey012
06-23-2010, 08:19 PM
Can it end now that we swept the A's or do we need to win more to end it? Just wondering. That was a HUGE sweep for us though. Go Reds!

Let's wait til after the Cleveland series, anything less than a sweep is a disappointment. If we get 2/3 that is ok. If we lose the series we it may be too early to ditch the June swoon.

Gotta remember we are 10-11 this month and we have played:
STL
WSH
SF
KC
LAD
SEA
OAK

3 bad teams (KC,SEA, and WSH). 1 decent team OAK. And 3 good teams. While 10-11 isn't awful, if we want to make the playoffs we need to have a winning record against that group of teams.

Reds
06-23-2010, 08:31 PM
A sweep of the Indians would get us back on the track I expected the month to take. I was hoping we'd take 4 of 6 out west, but we showed tremendous fight.

RedsFanInBama
06-23-2010, 08:34 PM
Let's wait til after the Cleveland series, anything less than a sweep is a disappointment. If we get 2/3 that is ok.

So is two wins a disappointment or not?

arkimadee
06-23-2010, 08:38 PM
I'd say no.. Even though the Indians suck, they are our rival and two out of three against any team is good. I would put the 2/3 category as expected. 1/3 dissapointment. 0/3 total failure (start calling for changes) 3/3 - As Borat would say, "Great Success!"

bshall2105
06-23-2010, 09:02 PM
Gotta remember we are 10-11 this month
But you also have to remember 10-11 in June is like 15-6 in any other month.

Griffey012
06-23-2010, 09:08 PM
But you also have to remember 10-11 in June is like 15-6 in any other month.

Haha, true statement.

Maker_84
06-23-2010, 09:10 PM
if we take 2/3 from cleveland which i'm 99% sure we will, i think we will be back on track hopefully

Griffey012
06-23-2010, 09:10 PM
So is two wins a disappointment or not?

It's disappointing but it is still ok. I expect a sweep of the Indians, if we get 2/3 I can deal with it but won't be happy about it. Losing the series or getting swept I'll be angry.

The Voice of IH
06-23-2010, 09:58 PM
2/3 is an absolute MUST!!!!!! We CAN NOT lose the series... a sweep would almost be expected especially if we can get the first one taken care of.

Mr Larkin
06-23-2010, 10:08 PM
Let's wait til after the Cleveland series, anything less than a sweep is a disappointment. If we get 2/3 that is ok. If we lose the series we it may be too early to ditch the June swoon.

Gotta remember we are 10-11 this month and we have played:
STL
WSH
SF
KC
LAD
SEA
OAK

3 bad teams (KC,SEA, and WSH). 1 decent team OAK. And 3 good teams. While 10-11 isn't awful, if we want to make the playoffs we need to have a winning record against that group of teams.

In the major leagues you can't expect a sweep against any team. If we don't sweep the Tribe that is not the end of the world.

We have played decent over the last 20 or so and that is enough. The competition is doing the same. No need for an over reaction.

Go Reds - regardless!

sabometrics
06-24-2010, 02:21 AM
They're going to have to struggle massively this homestand if I'm gonna call this a June swoon. Here's the matchups the last 6 games of June:

June 25: Harang vs Laffey
June 26: LeCure vs Masterson
June 27: Arroyo vs Talbot
June 28: Cueto vs Kendrick
June 29: Leake vs Blanton
June 30: Harang vs Holliday (12:35 start - you know what that means)

2 of 3 is what I expect against Cleveland - those are all very winnable games, but no game screams a huge mismatch in our favor imo and the Indians can likely steal one. 1 of 3 is expected against Philly, though 2 of 3 is doable. Harang vs Holliday is already a loss in my book.

The Cards have a stretch of very easy games @KC (but still likely to play like home games) and the D-Backs in St. Louis ('zona has the 2nd worst road record in the league). They're not going to let up, and could open up a more comfortable lead if the Reds fail to pull a winning homestand. 4-2 needs to be the target, but 3-3 won't be the end of the world. 2-4 or worse and you can be sure the swoon talk will rear its ugly head again.

Griffey012
06-24-2010, 06:45 AM
They're going to have to struggle massively this homestand if I'm gonna call this a June swoon. Here's the matchups the last 6 games of June:

June 25: Harang vs Laffey
June 26: LeCure vs Masterson
June 27: Arroyo vs Talbot
June 28: Cueto vs Kendrick
June 29: Leake vs Blanton
June 30: Harang vs Holliday (12:35 start - you know what that means)

2 of 3 is what I expect against Cleveland - those are all very winnable games, but no game screams a huge mismatch in our favor imo and the Indians can likely steal one. 1 of 3 is expected against Philly, though 2 of 3 is doable. Harang vs Holliday is already a loss in my book.

The Cards have a stretch of very easy games @KC (but still likely to play like home games) and the D-Backs in St. Louis ('zona has the 2nd worst road record in the league). They're not going to let up, and could open up a more comfortable lead if the Reds fail to pull a winning homestand. 4-2 needs to be the target, but 3-3 won't be the end of the world. 2-4 or worse and you can be sure the swoon talk will rear its ugly head again.

To be honest I was excited about the Harang v Holliday matchup. I was thinking they were calling up some minor leaguer named Holliday. I think you mean Halladay :D

texasdave
06-24-2010, 07:00 AM
Holiday is more appropriate, since that is likely what the Reds' bats will taking. I take that back. They are gonna rough up an ace sooner or later. It might as well be Halladay.

TheBigLebowski
06-24-2010, 07:39 AM
2 out of 3 is not a disappointment - I couldn't care less who you play. Winning a series is always a good thing.

Caveman Techie
06-24-2010, 07:47 AM
I never go in to a series with the bar being set at "sweep". Despite how bad you may think the opponent is, they are still a MLB team.

bgwilly31
06-24-2010, 11:11 AM
July is going to be the telling month.

Which is why we needed to do better in june to make up for possible disaster in july.

Biff Pocoroba
06-24-2010, 11:44 AM
2/3 is an absolute MUST!!!!!! We CAN NOT lose the series... a sweep would almost be expected especially if we can get the first one taken care of.

When you are one game out in June, no one series is ever a must. Ever.

texasdave
06-24-2010, 12:10 PM
July is going to be the telling month.

Which is why we needed to do better in june to make up for possible disaster in july.

I just hope at the end of July everyone is saying 'August is going to be the telling month'.

arkimadee
06-24-2010, 12:13 PM
I think we finish the month of July at .500 and pray the cards have a bad month.. it will be tough to have a great record that month.. But if the reds hold on, August and September seem to be a little more forgivable

bigredmechanism
06-24-2010, 12:47 PM
iirc september should be an easier month, perhaps the easiest of the season. So we have that going for us. Which is nice.

Reds
06-24-2010, 01:28 PM
the last 20 games of the schedule do favor us, if we're within 3 games (division or wc) I like our chances to take it to the wire.