PDA

View Full Version : 5 Most Underrated Reds of All-Time?

Vottomatic
06-24-2010, 05:10 PM
I recently read a Bengals article by Geoff Hobson picking the 5 most underrated Bengals of All-Time, so I thought, for fun, we could discuss the 5 most underrated Reds players of All-Time. Meaning, players who never got that much credit, made the HOF, or made All-Star games, etc., etc.........but were still very good players.

By the way, the 5 most underrated Bengals in that article were - Willie Anderson, Ken Riley, Jim Breech, Rodney Holman, and Rich Braham.

Who are the 5 most underrated Reds of All-Time?

GIDP
06-24-2010, 06:50 PM
I think its unfair for me to pick of all time because I mean what do I really know about guys rfom the 70s and stuff? In my lifetime though here is a few that come to mind quickly.

Dave Burba
John Smiley
Reggie Sanders
Bip Roberts

will5979
06-24-2010, 07:10 PM
Based on what I've seen in my baseball viewing life 1985-present

1. PAUL O'NEILL-what can I say about trading him except wow, just wow.
2. ADAM DUNN-future HOFer mark my words, and everyone wanted rid of him.:rolleyes:
3. Deion Sanders-with him we beat Atl. in 95 NLCS
4. Bronson Arroyo-best pitcher in our rotation for the past 5 seasons
5. Mike Cameron-if only the trade was Reese for Griffey straight up, stupid ass Jim Bowden-"Pokey Reese is the future of our franchise" :angry:

Vottomatic
06-24-2010, 07:40 PM
Vada Pinson
Scott Sullivan
Bronson Arroyo
still thinking of my other 2

flash
06-24-2010, 08:07 PM
Paul O' Neil can't disagree there.
Vada Pinson- best all around centerfielder the Reds have had in 80 years. I won't argue that Roush or Crawford might have been better. Should be in the hall
Bucky Walters- Should be in the hall

redsfanmia
06-24-2010, 08:17 PM
nm

redsfanmia
06-24-2010, 08:18 PM
Danny Graves has to be on the list

1990REDS
06-24-2010, 08:28 PM
im gonna go with:
Smiley
Reggie Sanders
Bronson Arroyo
Arther Rhodes (i know hes only been here 2 years,and were not even half way through but the season hes having he should be a no doubt All-Star and getting a lot more press than he does)

BTW im in my late 20's so sorry for the lack of older players on my list

sivman17
06-24-2010, 08:29 PM
Danny Graves has to be on the list

I agree with this completely.

lidspinner
06-24-2010, 09:01 PM
im going to think about my other 4 but my number 1 is Adam Dunn......while I was one to want him out of here, I wanted him gone cause of his defense. The fella just cannot play defense to save his life....if he could just be a GG at 1st base then he would be money...but Adam Dunn is going to be a HOF'er. The guy is consistent and when all is said and done 700 home runs are not out of reach for a guy like Adam who is not injured all that much. If he can spend the last 10 years, starting next year, in the AL, DHing then I think he is a lock for the Hall.

I know I will get laughed at and people like to think Dunn is a waste, but you cannot argue his numbers that he puts up year in and year out...even the bad ones, he is consistent.

Griffey012
06-24-2010, 09:09 PM
I am pretty young so I can't speak for players before about 1995 ish. Not sure if we are talking underrated by just Reds fans or all of baseball, I am assuming all of baseball.

Arroyo
Sean Casey (multiple .900+ OPS years, during his prime)
Scott Sullivan
Barry Larkin (he was that good)
Bip Roberts (Wish we kept him longer)

Red in Atl
06-24-2010, 09:57 PM
I think Senior felt underrated by Reds management...I think management underrated Jeff Russel back in the day, and Keppinger and Cantu recently...and I think the fans underrated Big, Reggie Sanders a bit, and definitely Dunn.

But I don't get the Danny Graves stuff. I think the Reds overrated him. Starter, closer, starter, closer...they acted like he was the savior and used him all up. Though I don't think he helped himself out much with his childlike antics.

texasdave
06-24-2010, 10:04 PM
In no particular order:

1) Cesar Geronimo
2) Rich Aurilia
3) Scott Hatteberg
4) Pete Harnisch
5) Freddie Norman

Roush's socks
06-25-2010, 01:02 AM
The Reds have so much history that it would take quite a bit of research to really come up with a good list. But off hand I would throw out:
1. Bucky Walters- should be in the HOF. He won the regular season MVP while leading his team to a WS victory. That is kind of the ultimate in sports.
2. Dave Concepcion- at the time he was playing everyone agreed that his defense was of a different caliber than his peers. His hitting looks worse than it was becaused of the era he played in.
3. Ted Kluszewski- he was one of the best hitters of his era. If he would have had a couple more productive years he would have been in the HOF.
4. Kevin Mitchell- his 1994 season was simply incredible by any standards.
5. Bid McPhee- This Reds HOF'r from early baseball history has some of the most incredible fielding stats, by the standards of his time, of any player ever. He must have been just light years ahead of anyone else at the time. Now that he is in the HOF I don't know if you can call him "underrated."

Norm
06-25-2010, 01:14 AM
Not so much career wise, but Greg Vaughn had an awfully strong back in 99. I also have to go with Pete Harnisch!

RedsFanInBama
06-25-2010, 01:43 AM
What was so great about Danny Graves? Maybe it's just part of being a Reds closer, but I think I stayed pissed at him while he was in Cinci.

Griffey012
06-25-2010, 08:40 AM
What was so great about Danny Graves? Maybe it's just part of being a Reds closer, but I think I stayed pissed at him while he was in Cinci.

He was a rare breed of a guy who would go more than 1 inning on a consistent basis while closing games. He doesn't make my top 5, but he was pretty darn good until he became a starter.

swaisuc
06-25-2010, 11:32 AM
Definitely agree with Vaughn and Mitchell, but my list begins with Aaron Boone.

He was a very productive player for several years. He played hard every day (once had a 162 game season) and put up better numbers than most probably realize. As an added benefit, he really never cost the Reds a big contract.

Vottomatic
06-25-2010, 12:05 PM
I always had a soft spot for Gary Redus. He was the man when he first came up. But he played on a bad team of nobody's.

captainmorgan07
06-25-2010, 12:08 PM
Definitely agree with Vaughn and Mitchell, but my list begins with Aaron Boone.

He was a very productive player for several years. He played hard every day (once had a 162 game season) and put up better numbers than most probably realize. As an added benefit, he really never cost the Reds a big contract.

I would agree with Aaron Boone, Scott Sullivan also makes my list.

roby
06-25-2010, 01:58 PM
I have to agree with you guys on Vada pinson. He was so much better than they gave him credit for. I'd also have to add Jim Maloney and gary Nolan to the list. If they could have only stayed healthy!

krm1580
06-25-2010, 02:12 PM
Before he got hurt and consequently traded, Kal Daniels

Vottomatic
06-25-2010, 02:37 PM
Phil Gagliano.

Just kidding.

PedroBourbon
06-25-2010, 03:13 PM
Agree on a lot of these.

Concepcion was overshadowed by the Big Red Machine. He was never a power or steady hitter but awesome defender and veteran presence for YEARS on this team.

Ray Knight had a lot of years on the bench behind the Big Red Machine but had some good years before being traded to the Astros I think it was.

Ron Oester was about that time as well. He was a life long Red which is rarely seen in baseball anymore.

Graves was fantastic. Unfortunately had that meltdown of year and became forgettable.

I saw someone post Larkin, I disagree. He will likely make the HOF and is held in high graces by the Reds organization, not underrated at all.

I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this, but Chris Stynes was stellar bench player who swung the bat well and played a multitude of positions. Did it better that Freel.

bounty37h
06-25-2010, 03:33 PM
I agree with the Bip Roberts, I loved that guy! And Reggie Sanders, dude moved around a lot, but played for a lot of winners.

Mr Larkin
06-25-2010, 06:01 PM
Ron Oester - for certain
John Franco - before Graves
Davey Conception - great SS, should be in HoF
Scott Sullivan - very dependable
Paul O'Neill - solid here, solid in NY winning championships

Griffey012
06-25-2010, 06:07 PM
Agree on a lot of these.

Concepcion was overshadowed by the Big Red Machine. He was never a power or steady hitter but awesome defender and veteran presence for YEARS on this team.

Ray Knight had a lot of years on the bench behind the Big Red Machine but had some good years before being traded to the Astros I think it was.

Ron Oester was about that time as well. He was a life long Red which is rarely seen in baseball anymore.

Graves was fantastic. Unfortunately had that meltdown of year and became forgettable.

I saw someone post Larkin, I disagree. He will likely make the HOF and is held in high graces by the Reds organization, not underrated at all.

I'm sure I'll catch some flak for this, but Chris Stynes was stellar bench player who swung the bat well and played a multitude of positions. Did it better that Freel.

That was I that posted Larkin, I know he is loved and worshiped by Reds fans. In the realm of the rest of the MLB I think he is highly underrated. He should and will make the hall of fame I would think, but if you stick him in a big market team he would have Jeter like popularity.

webbbj
06-25-2010, 10:04 PM
hal morris
joe oliver
dante bichette
jeff shaw
lenny harris

Trace's Daddy
06-26-2010, 11:24 AM
1) Hal Morris
2) Scott Sullivan
3) Paul O'neil
4) Mike Cameron
5) Barry Larkin deserves more cred

ThornWithin81
06-26-2010, 11:39 AM
I was born in '86 so I have a limited perspective. I'll go with...

1) Reggie Sanders
2) Sean Casey
3) Bronson Arroyo
4) Rob Dibble
5) Hal Morris