PDA

View Full Version : Matt Kemp?

TheNext44
06-25-2010, 02:33 PM
Dodgers Should Trade Matt Kemp (http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/los-angeles-dodgers-should-trade-matt-kemp-062510)

General manager Ned Colletti needs to be pragmatic. He needs to be creative.

He needs to trade center fielder Matt Kemp...

Why, then, single out Kemp as trade bait?

Because Ethier looks like he could be a superstar, and because Kemp, for all his flaws, would bring a greater return than the others.

Do you want him?

If so, who would you give up for him?

I'd give up Bailey and Stubbs to start, but I doubt that would get it done. Would trade Cueto and Stubbs, but the Dodgers would have to add more than Kemp.

Benihana
06-25-2010, 03:41 PM
I would not trade Cueto and Stubbs for Matt Kemp.

Unless he brought Rihanna with him...

bucksfan2
06-25-2010, 03:45 PM
I would not trade Cueto and Stubbs for Matt Kemp.

I wouldn't have a problem moving those two for Kemp. Maybe Kemp and someone else but if its the 2000 Kemp .297/.352/.490 OPS .842 then I am all for it.

Benihana
06-25-2010, 03:47 PM
Maybe not for Kemp but I wouldn't have a problem moving those two for Kemp.

Um, what?

OnBaseMachine
06-25-2010, 03:48 PM
No one is untouchable but Cueto is a player I would hold on to unless I was knocked over with an offer I couldn't refuse.

nate
06-25-2010, 03:54 PM
I'm not digging the direction Kemp's numbers are trending this year. Looks like he's hitting more ground balls and fewer line drives. Actually, it looks like he hit an insustainably high amount of line drives the previous couple years and is now hitting a more reasonable amount.

I'd sure like to see more of Heisey so we know what we got in him.

bucksfan2
06-25-2010, 03:54 PM
Um, what?

Yea I correct it. I was interrupted when writing it.

TheNext44
06-25-2010, 03:56 PM
No one is untouchable but Cueto is a player I would hold on to unless I was knocked over with an offer I couldn't refuse.

I agree. And I think that the Dodgers think the same thing about Kemp.

Both are very similar players. Young, great potential that has not been reached yet, but they both are close.

bucksfan2
06-25-2010, 03:56 PM

I realize that we aren't seeing eye to eye on Cueto which is fine. But what would it take for you to be knocked over? A potential .300/.360/.500 GG CF entering the prime of his career would be a pretty good haul for a league average pitcher with some upside.

Benihana
06-25-2010, 04:20 PM
I realize that we aren't seeing eye to eye on Cueto which is fine. But what would it take for you to be knocked over? A potential .300/.360/.500 GG CF entering the prime of his career would be a pretty good haul for a league average pitcher with some upside.

Well several people even within the Dodgers organization are less than enthralled with his D, so I'd hesitate to label him as a GG CF entering the prime of his career.

Additionally, his baserunning gaffes would make the Phillips-haters implode. Ditto for his attitude.

That said, I'd love to have Kemp, but I don't know if I'd trade Cueto straight-up for him, let alone Cueto and Stubbs.

RedsManRick
06-25-2010, 04:40 PM
Kemp is a CF only because he keeps getting run out there. He's not a good defender in center. If we traded Stubbs for him and Dusty insisted on keeping Gomes in the lineup, I'd rather have Bruce in CF.

bucksfan2
06-25-2010, 04:42 PM
Well several people even within the Dodgers organization are less than enthralled with his D, so I'd hesitate to label him as a GG CF entering the prime of his career.

Additionally, his baserunning gaffes would make the Phillips-haters implode. Ditto for his attitude.

That said, I'd love to have Kemp, but I don't know if I'd trade Cueto straight-up for him, let alone Cueto and Stubbs.

I don't know enough about his defense to make a real educated judgment. I have heard his D is good and he does have a GG to his name. I just don't watch the Dodgers play a lot because they are a west coast team.

I just am not that high on Cueto. I think he is a nice pitcher but I don't see the improvement upon what he is already. What he is is a nice pitcher, but not someone who I consider untouchable. Actually I think he would would be a player that I would dangle as a trading chip. He has a tremendous trade value and I like Leake, Volquez (considering he returns to form), and the upside of Bailey more. Chapman isn't being moved right now and if Cueto can bring something of value back in return I would do that trade. You have to trade something of value to get something value in return. Cueto may just be that guy (for me).

fearofpopvol1
06-25-2010, 04:58 PM
I'm thinking Alonso, 1 of Heisey/Stubbs and another B prospect could get it done. Would that be worth it?

You could stick Kemp in LF and whoever remains of Heisey/Stubbs in CF. That would be rock solid. I think Kemp would be a monster in GAB.

RedsManRick
06-25-2010, 05:00 PM
Regarding his defense, UZR has him as -10 in CF (366 G) and -5 in RF (168 G). Obviously UZR isn't gospel, but gold gloves aren't exactly reliable and those are pretty big samples.

RedsManRick
06-25-2010, 05:00 PM
I'm thinking Alonso, 1 of Heisey/Stubbs and another B prospect could get it done. Would that be worth it?

You could stick Kemp in LF and whoever remains of Heisey/Stubbs in CF. That would be rock solid. I think Kemp would be a monster in GAB.

Alonso, Heisey, and Maloney?

fearofpopvol1
06-25-2010, 05:04 PM
Alonso, Heisey, and Maloney?

I was thinking of that...and Maloney would thrive in that park/division. But would they want someone better/younger than Maloney is? Hard to say. Maybe they would want someone like Bailey who is youner with a higher ceiling.

I think Kemp in LF would be a positive defender.

TheNext44
06-25-2010, 05:04 PM
The Dodgers are only going to trade Kemp for a #1 or #2 starting pitcher or someone with that potential.

fearofpopvol1
06-26-2010, 12:19 AM
If true, the Reds are out of the discussion then, at least in my opinion. I would not trade Leake, Cueto or Chapman for Kemp. I would however trade pretty much anyone else.

Topcat
06-26-2010, 05:20 AM
The Dodgers are only going to trade Kemp for a #1 or #2 starting pitcher or someone with that potential.

homer bailey in that Ball Park fits the profile and add in heisey and Cozart and to me that should get that deal done. If not walk away.

The Operator
06-26-2010, 06:01 AM

If that's true then I don't want The Reds to even consider it. Offense is not the problem with this team. Pitching is.

Krusty
06-26-2010, 09:25 AM
Dodgers need a pitcher and might be willing to trade OF Matt Kemp according to FoxSport's Ken Rosenthal. So I got to thinking if something like this would work:

Stubbs, Volquez for Kemp.

Of course the Dodgers would want to see Volquez two or three times pitch before the trading deadline at the end of July. But would it make sense for the Reds?

Opinions?

One more note....could it be that Volquez will start right before the allstar break could be a showcase for about three starts for teams to see before the trading deadline at the end of July?

Scrap Irony
06-26-2010, 09:28 AM
I'd do Bailey but not Cueto as part of a deal. I'd definitely keep Volquez. He's the only one of the three who's been ace-like and TJ surgery usually doesn't happen twice. (Especially since he's refined his mechanics.)

I'd prefer Heisey/ Stubbs, Wood/ Maloney, Alonso, and Mesoraco. I'd settle for Bailey, Heisey/ Stubbs, and either Francisco/ Frazier.

I think LA would do that, too.

I'd then put Kemp in CF despite his suspect defense, hoping that the smaller park would make a difference.

Phillips 2B
Kemp CF
Votto 1B
Rolen 3B
Bruce RF
Gomes/ Heisey LF
Hanigan/ Hernandez C
Cabrera SS

Raisor
06-26-2010, 10:03 AM
Opinions?

?

No way do I trade Volquez for Kemp.

OnBaseMachine
06-26-2010, 12:10 PM
Dodgers need a pitcher

And so do the Reds. I wouldn't trade Volquez.

The Operator
06-26-2010, 01:32 PM
I really think trading for a guy like Kemp is a luxury at this point. The Reds have scored 360 runs and have a great defender in CF.

Meanwhile, the bullpen still needs a lot of help and the rotation could use some help as well. Trading Volquez or Cueto is out of the question if you ask me.

I wouldn't deal Bailey unless it's in a trade for a pitcher coming back.

reds44
06-26-2010, 01:34 PM
Hasn't Kemp been ungodly awful in the field this year?

VR
06-26-2010, 02:29 PM
I think Aaron Harang would thrive as a Dodger......If you can find away to get those two as the main players....get it done. Throw in Homer Bailey if you need to.

An outfield of Kemp, Stubbs and Bruce could be one of the best in the bigs for the next 8-10 years.

TheNext44
06-26-2010, 04:37 PM
I really think trading for a guy like Kemp is a luxury at this point. The Reds have scored 360 runs and have a great defender in CF.

Meanwhile, the bullpen still needs a lot of help and the rotation could use some help as well. Trading Volquez or Cueto is out of the question if you ask me.

I wouldn't deal Bailey unless it's in a trade for a pitcher coming back.

I agree. No need to get offense for this year, pitching is much more needed.

But going forward, I think Kemp will be needed. We really don't know how much longer Rolen and Gomes will be crushing the ball, and the team will need another big bat if either of them drop off next year. And they definitely could use a big young bat like Kemp in the years after that.

reds1869
06-26-2010, 05:59 PM
I think Aaron Harang would thrive as a Dodger......If you can find away to get those two as the main players....get it done. Throw in Homer Bailey if you need to.

An outfield of Kemp, Stubbs and Bruce could be one of the best in the bigs for the next 8-10 years.

I totally agree. Aaron Harang would become a top line starter out west. If a deal could be made that involved those two principals and a prospect or two, I would pull the trigger. It would also solve the problem of how to take one of Harang or Arroyo off the books.

PuffyPig
06-26-2010, 06:48 PM

If the Reds trade Harang and Bailey in the same trade, Bailey isn't the throw in.

Krusty
06-27-2010, 08:49 AM
The Reds would have to spice up the deal if they involved Harang. Maybe a Harang, Heisey and Maloney for Kemp deal would work?