PDA

View Full Version : Should The Reds Trade A Young Pitcher?

Krusty
06-26-2010, 10:21 AM
I'm talking about Volquez, Cueto, Leake and Bailey at the trading deadline to improve the club for the stretch run. Obviously, Harang and Arroyo would be the more preferable pitchers to move but other clubs want what the Reds wants to keep. So if the right deal is out there, should they peddle one of their young arms?

Scrap Irony
06-26-2010, 10:32 AM
I wouldn't as a rule, but, if bowled over, I might part with one of them.

Being bowled over, however, would be different for each of them.

wally post
06-26-2010, 11:03 AM
It's risky. Look at what happened to the Mets when they traded Kasmir away - they thought they saw a flaw in Kazmir so they traded him for a veteran.
I believe Walt will trade anyone based on what the return is, though.
Good to see you again Krusty!

traderumor
06-26-2010, 11:13 AM
Bailey, but I doubt he is going to get much return, esp. with the first signs of arm trouble hitting this year. The rest I think begs the question of being able to get enough return to make the team better for the stretch run.

Since the Reds are contending and have two very strong candidates of difference makers in Volquez and Chapman coming soon, I see them looking for roster raiding of non-contenders moreso than a slobber knocker.

TheNext44
06-26-2010, 11:23 AM
I've been saying all along that the Reds should trade one of Bailey/Cueto.

With volquez and Chapmen likely to be in the rotation next year, that would give them 4 flyball pitchers in GABP. Three is probably too many, but four is unacceptable. Hold onto Leake. He's perfect for the park.

traderumor
06-26-2010, 12:11 PM
Cueto leans toward a groundball pitcher.

jojo
06-26-2010, 12:16 PM
Cueto has neutral batted ball tendencies

traderumor
06-26-2010, 12:20 PM
Cueto has neutral batted ball tendenciesI was trying to figure that out on the stats. Pardon my ignorance, but a ratio of .87 Groundouts to all outs means what? I am not being smart alec, I really don't know and am too lazy to research it ;)

jojo
06-26-2010, 12:27 PM
I was trying to figure that out on the stats. Pardon my ignorance, but a ratio of .87 Groundouts to all outs means what? I am not being smart alec, I really don't know and am too lazy to research it ;)

He's induced roughly the same number of ground balls and flyballs (his GB% and FB% are roughly equal for his career).

A ground balll pitcher would have a ratio greater than 1...

Benihana
06-26-2010, 12:34 PM
I would trade Bailey in the right deal, for sure.

As others have said, I'd have to be completely bowled over to trade Cueto or Volquez.

I wouldn't trade Leake, unless it was in a deal for Strasburg or David Price.

JaxRed
06-26-2010, 12:49 PM
No. The Reds are finally winning because they have a group of young inexpensive players making big contributions. (Votto, Leake, Bruce, Stubbs, Cueto, etc.)

The continued success over next couple years is dependent on replacing Harang, Arroyo and Cordero with inexpensive replacements.

nate
06-26-2010, 12:53 PM
Bailey, yes but his value is lower than it would've been in the offseason. Of course, trading him in the offseason would've seemed bad because of his tantalizingly good finish to the end of the year. That's always the problem with knowing when to "sell high."

Spitball
06-26-2010, 12:57 PM
When I look at the salaries commanded by even mediocre starting pitchers, I believe the Reds need to hold onto Volquez, Cueto, Leake and Bailey, especially during their affordable years. I can't even imagine what would likely be offered that might be a "blow the Reds away" offer.

HokieRed
06-26-2010, 01:01 PM
It's a tough call, although of course for the right return I think you have to be willing to trade any player.
But I don't think the club will trade Cueto or Leake; Bailey and Volquez are at the low end of their possible value; and I'm pretty much convinced, anyway, that trading Wood will come to seem a mistake inevitably--and sooner rather than later.

OnBaseMachine
06-26-2010, 01:07 PM
No. The only one I was contemplate trading is Homer Bailey but like Nate said, his value has probably dropped some after the shoulder injury. I'm still not ready to give up on Homer though. He may not ever develop into an ace but I think he has a chance to be an above average starter someday. According to Jerry Crasnick of ESPN, the Reds think Bailey's early season struggles were due to him tipping his pitches. His final two starts before going on the DL were very good.

Back to the original question - I would hold on to the young pitching. As the saying goes, you can never have enough pitching.

fearofpopvol1
06-26-2010, 02:19 PM
In the right deal, yes.

RedsManRick
06-26-2010, 03:07 PM
I don't think we should be shopping them per se', but if the right deal comes along, sure.

redsfandan
06-26-2010, 03:47 PM
No. The Reds are finally winning because they have a group of young inexpensive players making big contributions. (Votto, Leake, Bruce, Stubbs, Cueto, etc.)

The continued success over next couple years is dependent on replacing Harang, Arroyo and Cordero with inexpensive replacements.
This is true. We'll need Cueto, Volquez, and Leake for the rotation the next few years and they could be really good and really cheap (relatively speaking). I don't think anyone wants to deal Chapman. And I wouldn't expect too much for Bailey right now.

I don't think we should be shopping them per se', but if the right deal comes along, sure.
I think it's more likely that the Reds shop from the bargain bin. And depending on the player(s) I might be ok with that.

TheNext44
06-26-2010, 05:30 PM
Cueto has neutral batted ball tendencies

That is true, but for whatever reason, he gives up disportionally more homers in GABP than on the road, many more than the ballpark effects would dictate. He gives up one homer a game at home and .65 homers a game on the road.

He has been a guy who has a tendency of trying to overthrow and grooving one too often. Now he was just quoted as saying that he is now trying to emulate Leake and throw with less velocity and more control, which is why he has been more successful as of late. If that keeps up, than he could work on this team.

Regardless, I still think they should trade Bailey. He's just a bad fit for this park.