PDA

View Full Version : Phillips Arrested for reckless driving...released after posting bond

reds44
06-26-2010, 01:32 PM
for reckless driving. He posted $25, yes twenty-five dollar bail.

Quote from article:

“Reckless driving, a lot of times, is truly a discretionary offense,” Colvin said. “He was nothing but a gentleman, according to the policeman that booked him. I love the way the guy plays baseball but he could probably be better at driving his car.”

http://news.cincinnati.com/article/20100626/NEWS01/306260044/Phillips-arrested-on-traffic-charge

redsfaninbsg
06-26-2010, 01:33 PM
Sounds a little ridiculous to me. Why not just issue the ticket and send the guy on his way? Stuff like this gives police officers a bad name.

reds44
06-26-2010, 01:35 PM
Sounds a little ridiculous to me. Why not just issue the ticket and send the guy on his way? Stuff like this gives police officers a bad name.
Isn't there a certain mileage over the speed limit that you have to arrest him?

He was going 37 over...

redsfaninbsg
06-26-2010, 01:38 PM
The article leads the reader to believe it is entirely up to the officer to decide if an arrest is made in a reckless driving situation.

HokieRed
06-26-2010, 01:43 PM
I've no problem with 72 in a 35 warranting arrest. Zones presumably are posted at 35 because of traffic, cars entering etc. Seems to me going more than double that speed constitutes a danger. Arrest might turn out to be a very fortunate turn of events for BP.

Captain Hook
06-26-2010, 01:48 PM
I've no problem with 72 in a 35 warranting arrest. Zones presumably are posted at 35 because of traffic, cars entering etc. Seems to me going more than double that speed constitutes a danger. Arrest might turn out to be a very fortunate turn of events for BP.

I agree.This however is not a big problem for Reds fans and Phillips fans as well.

For the record.This was by far the scariest thread to click on since the start of the season and probably even longer.We shouldn't do these things to each other.

HokieRed
06-26-2010, 01:51 PM
I agree.This however is not a big problem for Reds fans and Phillips fans as well.

For the record.This was by far the scariest thread to click on since the start of the season and probably even longer.We shouldn't do these things to each other.

Agree. It's really not our business.

Tom Servo
06-26-2010, 01:53 PM
Well this thread title scared the hell out of me.

Matt700wlw
06-26-2010, 01:54 PM
My Mom would freak if I was going 72 in a 35 with her in the car

OnBaseMachine
06-26-2010, 02:00 PM
Eh, dumb thing to do but at least he wasn't drinking and driving.

VR
06-26-2010, 02:00 PM

No kidding. Not that is not very serious......but there were about 15 other scenarios that ran through my mind as the thread was opening. :yikes:

OnBaseMachine
06-26-2010, 02:06 PM
To tell you the truth, the thread title didn't really scare me. When I saw it I figured it was something minor. Despite some incidents on the field, Phillips seems like he has a good head on his shoulders.

alexad
06-26-2010, 02:06 PM
He should be benched for a week. Being arrested is not being a good role model to the young people of society. If I would have been arrested for the same thing, I would still be sitting in jail because my bail would be more than $25. Plus I would be fired from my job.

OnBaseMachine
06-26-2010, 02:07 PM
He should be benched for a week. Being arrested is not being a good role model to the young people of society. If I would have been arrested for the same thing, I would still be sitting in jail because my bail would be more than $25. Plus I would be fired from my job.

You're joking, right? What he did was dumb but he doesn't deserve to be benched for a week.

Brutus
06-26-2010, 02:20 PM

Fired for a traffic citation? That's a little bit of an exaggeration.

SirFelixCat
06-26-2010, 02:24 PM

Seriously...a bit misleading. Yes he WAS arrested, but released on a minor offense. Can we change the title a little please?

redsfandan
06-26-2010, 02:32 PM
Overreact much?

Seriously...a bit misleading. Yes he WAS arrested, but released on a minor offense. Can we change the title a little please?
Yeah, I agree. While I don't think everyone's heart skipped a beat (arrested doesn't necessarily mean something serious) I think the title could be a little clearer. Unless, of course, the OP just wanted to scare people a little.

jojo
06-26-2010, 02:46 PM
Anyone doing twice the legal speed limit in a residential zone probably needs to be arrested.

Thank gosh this turned out not to be a big deal I say.

RedEye
06-26-2010, 02:53 PM
How abouts we add on "... for reckless driving" to the end of the thread title? I almost lost my lunch when I saw the current one. Felt like I was in a Bengals forum, to be honest. Weird.

redsfandan
06-26-2010, 02:54 PM
Wait a minute, his mother was in the car?!?

Umm ok... bet that was a fun trip. LOL

TheNext44
06-26-2010, 03:51 PM
If he was a hot blonde, he probably wouldn't even have gotten a ticket. Lol

I don't have a problem with him getting arrested, but I have to believe that him being Brandon Phillips had more to do with him being arrested rather than getting just a ticket, than anything else.

TheNext44
06-26-2010, 04:00 PM
In 1995, I was late to the first game of the LCS against the Braves, driving from St. Louis to Cincinnati, and was pulled over in Indiana for going at least 120 in a 65 zone. (The officer didn't have time to use the radar and was just eyeballing it)

He said that he could arrest me and put me in jail overnight for going that fast. I explained why I was driving so fast and apologized profusely. He went back into his car, and called it in. After letting me sweat it for around 30 minutes, he walked back to my car and said the answer to his next question would determine whether he arrested me or not. He asked me who I would be rooting for. I quickly said the Reds, and he let me go with a very large and expensive ticket.

macro
06-26-2010, 04:06 PM
I'm not condoning Phillips' driving that fast by any means, but many of these 35 mph zones are that way to accommodate situations that occur between, say, 7:00am and 10:00pm. Barreling through one after 11:00pm at night is not the same as barreling through one at 11:00am in the morning. I know of several 35 MPH zones where you feel silly creeping along late at night without a sign of life for what seems like miles around.

Again, he was going too fast. No doubt about that. But put into the context of the time of day, it may not have been as bad as it seems.

Hap
06-26-2010, 04:34 PM
The whole thing is a big "so what".

He probably signed a few autographs and posed for a few pictures and then went on his happy way.

fearofpopvol1
06-26-2010, 05:03 PM
The officer made a judgment call to arrest Phillips. They have the power to issue a citation or arrest.

It was boneheaded of Phillips to drive that fast, but I think a citation would've been more appropriate here.

reds1869
06-26-2010, 05:35 PM
Fired for a traffic citation? That's a little bit of an exaggeration.

The poster is a HS athletic director. It is certainly possible he would be disciplined for the offense; it happens more often than you know in education. I had a friend lose their job in a catholic school for a DUI.

Tony Cloninger
06-26-2010, 06:03 PM
Draw and Quarter him immediately!

I am glad he did not hurt others or himself....and no alcohol.

BCubb2003
06-26-2010, 06:09 PM
He was reported to be going from First to Third at a high rate of speed.

UKFlounder
06-26-2010, 06:26 PM
So this was the reward he gets for going full-speed instead of taking his time?
What a mixed message this sends. :D

reds1869
06-26-2010, 06:32 PM
So this was the reward he gets for going full-speed instead of taking his time?
What a mixed message this sends. :D

Well played, sir. Well played.

fearofpopvol1
06-26-2010, 09:41 PM
From Phillips...

"[The officer] had a decision to make to take me down or write me a ticket, and he chose what he thought was best and I respect him for what he did," Phillips said Saturday. "He did his job."

"They were very nice and they did their job and made it really quick," Phillips said. "I was in there for like 10 minutes. They just asked me some questions and I walked out and asked how much was bail, and it was like $25. I was like, 'Twenty-five dollars? All right.' It was what it was. It was a nice experience and it won't happen again. Things happen, you know? I don't drink, I've never smoked. I don't do any of that kind of stuff, I'm a lay low person."

HeatherC1212
06-26-2010, 11:06 PM
I'm glad someone added more to this thread title tonight because I was prepared to see something really bad amd I'm glad it wasn't nearly as serious as I thought. :eek: I nearly had a heart attack watching TV for about two minutes this evening because I was gone all day and one of the first things I heard on the news preview during the Cubs-WSox game was the news lady talking about Brandon being arrested (and she didn't add ANY of the extra details such as him not being in jail, posting bond, and it being for reckless driving). I'm glad things are all right and hopefully Brandon slows down when driving next time. I'm slightly amused that his mom was bummed out because she missed dinner although I'm sure Brandon was joking about that part, LOL :laugh:

westofyou
06-26-2010, 11:49 PM

Maybe they can swat him in the hall instead and assign him some detentions?

cincinnati chili
06-27-2010, 12:25 PM
Anyone doing twice the legal speed limit in a residential zone probably needs to be arrested.

Yeah, I can't picture the block they're talking about, but I'm trying to think of a good reason for driving that speed in any 35-zone I've ever been in. If it's really a residential area, you won't have time to evade pedestrians.

I love how he describes his "jail" experience.

BCubb2003
06-27-2010, 12:30 PM
I love how he describes his "jail" experience.

"The Ron LeFlore Story II"

Homer Bailey
07-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Phillips' ride that he was arrested in.

http://jalopnik.com/5600476/this-is-the-purple-audi-r8-brandon-phillips-was-arrested-in

http://cache.gawkerassets.com/assets/images/12/2010/07/brandon_phillips_audi.jpg

reds44
07-30-2010, 01:30 PM
I'd probably be driving recklessly in that thing too.

Ghosts of 1990
07-30-2010, 01:43 PM
Phew.... All I saw on the front forum page was 'Phillips arrested'.

camisadelgolf
07-30-2010, 02:44 PM
Really? I had BP pegged as a Ford Focus kind of guy.

BCubb2003
07-30-2010, 03:04 PM
The Jalopnik site says the car was seen at a St. Louis shopping mall today. Now the car is fast, and could get back to Cincinnati by gametime, but what's Phillips doing in St. Louis?

camisadelgolf
07-30-2010, 03:43 PM
The Jalopnik site says the car was seen at a St. Louis shopping mall today. Now the car is fast, and could get back to Cincinnati by gametime, but what's Phillips doing in St. Louis?
I bet BP has family in from out of town for the Braves series. He's probably just letting someone borrow it. I doubt it's his only car.

nate
07-30-2010, 03:46 PM
I just saw one of those today. Pretty sweet ride!

It had Tennessee plates though.

BCubb2003
07-30-2010, 03:50 PM
I bet BP has family in from out of town for the Braves series. He's probably just letting someone borrow it. I doubt it's his only car.

Hey, don't ruin my juicy trade rumor. Maybe his mom gets to drive the car now.

Jpup
07-30-2010, 05:00 PM
Ugly car. I'd keep that one in the garage.