PDA

View Full Version : What do you think about these next 2 weeks?

icehole3
06-27-2010, 10:13 AM
These are the 2 weeks that I feel if the Reds can hold steady will be pivotal in keeping themselves in the race thru the rest of the season. There's 2 more 9 game road trips left after this next trip, 1 on the west coast thatll be pretty tough, but this along with who St.L has to play, it doesnt get any tougher than this, I think if they crawl to the all star break at -3 games behind the Cards they will have done good.

St.Louis
3-Ari
3-Milw
3-@Col
3-@Hou

Cincy
3-Phila
4-@Chi
3-@NYM
4-@Phila

SirFelixCat
06-27-2010, 10:15 AM
I just hope we stay w/i 2-3 games of first going into the ASG and I think we'll be fine.

icehole3
06-27-2010, 10:50 AM
if StL goes 8-4 and the Reds go 7-7, they gain 3 games at least

RedLegSuperStar
06-27-2010, 11:24 AM
It all depends who's starting.. No Halladay please. The Mets are gabage and shouldn't be an issue. Chicago is in termoil. And outside of Halladay the Phils have much of nothin except a homerun or nothin first baseman. Utleys hurt and Moyer is incosistant. I say we go 9-5 in that span.

Degenerate39
06-27-2010, 11:29 AM
It all depends who's starting.. No Halladay please. The Mets are gabage and shouldn't be an issue. Chicago is in termoil. And outside of Halladay the Phils have much of nothin except a homerun or nothin first baseman. Utleys hurt and Moyer is incosistant. I say we go 9-5 in that span.

Don't forget Cole Hamels. I'd rather face him than Halladay though

Scrap Irony
06-27-2010, 11:33 AM
7-7 would be acceptable, as most of these games are away. RedLeg is certainly optimistic, but he's absolutely right in one respect: the pitchers they face are key. They'll hit Hallady at least once. (As it stands right now, I think the Reds will hit him once in each series, though I could be wrong.)

OnBaseMachine
06-27-2010, 12:27 PM

The Mets aren't garbage. They have one of the best records in baseball since late May and are 42-32 and only 1 1/2 games behind the Braves in the NL East. I'm hoping the Reds can take two of three from the Phillies at home and then find a way to win 5-6 games on the 11 game road trip.

HeatherC1212
06-27-2010, 02:40 PM
They won't get Hamels this week because he just pitched yesterday. We may get Halladay for the last game of the series (I think he pitched on Friday) but other than that, it's kind of a crapshoot with the rest of the Phillies rotation. Sometimes they're great and sometimes they suck really bad. Santana has been downright hittable for the Mets lately so I'm not as fearful about facing him and I don't really know how their rotation is set up beyond Santana at this piont. I will be shocked if they don't take three out of four in Chicago because that team is a mess right now and I don't see them cleaning things up much before the Reds get there. I agree that if the guys can just keep it close during this trip, then they should be in really good shape. This will be a tough road trip but you have to think that knowing they're going to have some time off for the All Star break at the end of it is good motivation for the guys to kick some behind. :)

icehole3
06-27-2010, 03:33 PM
Dickey for NY is pitching lights out, think he has a 6 game winning streak

GAC
06-28-2010, 07:35 AM
The 11 game road trip in early July @ Chicago, NY, and Philly could be very telling concerning this team character IMO.

cumberlandreds
06-28-2010, 08:41 AM
Huge stretch,that's for sure. The Red sjust need to tread water and stay at least no more than 3 games behind. The Phillies are really hitting the ball again. It's too bad they didn't face them about a month ago. The Mets are playing great too. They certainly aren't garbage. It's never easy in Chicago either. They should do well there since it looks like the Cubs have imploded. If the Reds can go 7-6 and hope the Cards don't go some kind of crazy winning streak they should be just fine heading into the All Star break.

durl
06-28-2010, 10:29 AM
3 straight series on the road and playing Philly twice? That's one long road trip. I find myself just hoping that they stay within a game of the Cards so that probably means I'm not that optimistic.

I guess if it HAD to be in the schedule, I'd rather have this long road trip now than in August.

OnBaseMachine
06-28-2010, 01:14 PM
This is definitely a brutal 14 game stretch coming up. My goal during this stretch is a 7-7 record. If that happens, the Reds would carry a 49-41 record into the All-Star break, which would probably put the Reds within a game or two of first place. Hopefully they can get this stretch started out on the right foot by winning two of three from the Phillies.

mdccclxix
06-28-2010, 02:21 PM
Can you say "bullpen"? I think this 2 week stretch will rely heavily on the bullpen. Starters are likely to get knocked around more, and the offense will likely struggle to score so games will be close down the stretch. It's not Bill Bray that will save this bullpen, but Nick Masset returning to form, Coco being an elite closer, Owings getting more opportunity, DRH less, and Rhodes getting some rest.

SMcGavin
06-28-2010, 06:19 PM
It's a really tough stretch. I'll say this, I am very glad the Reds had that five game winning streak last week to build a bit of a safety zone. Dropping a couple games to the Cards the next few weeks won't be the end of the world. But if we were already a few games back, it'd be a different story.

HeatherC1212
06-28-2010, 11:05 PM
One game won, thirteen more to go! :p:

Seriously, the guys just have to take things one game at a time and keep working their way through this tough part of the schedule. They never get too far up or down after wins and losses so I think they are more than capable of getting through this stretch pretty well. Cueto and the offense started it off very well tonight! :thumbup:

Ghosts of 1990
06-28-2010, 11:19 PM
I just hope we stay w/i 2-3 games of first going into the ASG and I think we'll be fine.

Call me greedy, but I want us in first at the AS break!

OnBaseMachine
07-08-2010, 01:48 AM
I hope I'm not jinxing anything here but so far the Reds are 7-3 in the 14 game stretch and 5-2 on the season high 11 game road trip. They have four tough games remaining in Philadelphia so they're not quite out of the woods yet. I'm hoping the Reds can find a way to split the four games series and cap off a 7-4 road trip going into the All-Star break.

Hoosier Red
07-10-2010, 02:27 PM
Just bumping this thread for a little perspective. Even if the Reds lose the last two games of this road trip, they will have gone 7-7 in this pivotal 14 game stretch. They will have gone 5-6 on the longest road trip of the season,(with 7 games against playoff contenders) and they will be at worst in a tie for first place.

When we looked at the schedule and saw 14 games, 3 at home against the Phils and 11 on the road, I think everyone would have to admit to being happy with a 1st place tie at the end.

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2010, 02:55 PM
If the Reds end up going 5-6 on this road trip I'm going to be disappointed. I hate to say it, but I think there's a strong possibility they get swept in Philly as they face Roy Halladay and Cole Hamels the next two games. What stinks is the Reds should have won the first two games but they gave them away with silly baserunning mistakes and errors, failing to get runners home from 3rd with less than two outs, and of course terrible pitching from Cordero.

Falls City Beer
07-10-2010, 04:51 PM
If the Reds end up going 5-6 on this road trip I'm going to be disappointed. I hate to say it, but I think there's a strong possibility they get swept in Philly as they face Roy Halladay and Cole Hamels the next two games. What stinks is the Reds should have won the first two games but they gave them away with silly baserunning mistakes and errors, failing to get runners home from 3rd with less than two outs, and of course terrible pitching from Cordero.

It's not really all that disappointing, considering the length of the trip and the competition. But it might be a signal of less good things to come.

This team won't go .400 the rest of the way, but .500 is a distinct possibility, which puts them at an 86 win season. Better, but not good enough to get to the postseason.

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2010, 11:36 PM
My bad on the jinx guys. I bumped this thread after the Reds started the trip out 5-2, and now they're 5-5 with Maloney vs Hamels. Not looking good for a winning road trip.

The sad thing is the Reds should be going for the sweep tomorrow, instead they're trying to avoid getting swept.

icehole3
07-11-2010, 08:02 AM
I was hoping they at least went 7-7 to stay close to the Cards, they can do no worse than a 1 game lead, obviously the Cards are slumping worse, I like where they are right now and here's what I think could happen thru the rest of the month:

CIN
Col 3 (1-2)
Wash 4 (3-1)
@Hou 3 (2-1)
@Milw 3 (1-2)
AtL 3 (2-1) get some payback

9-7

STL
LA 3 (2-1)
Phila 4 (2-2)
@CHI 3 (1-2)
@NYM 3 (1-2)
Pitt 3 (2-1)

8-8

so hopefully we go into August up 2 or 3 games

CarolinaRedleg
07-11-2010, 09:16 AM
Cole Hamels is awesome. Greatest pitcher alive. No chance for any team facing him.
Philadelphia's lineup cannot be stopped, only contained. Charlie Manuel is an absolute genius of a manager.

;)

BCubb2003
07-11-2010, 09:49 AM
Cole Hamels is awesome. Greatest pitcher alive. No chance for any team facing him.
Philadelphia's lineup cannot be stopped, only contained. Charlie Manuel is an absolute genius of a manager.

;)

Heh. It's easy to forget that Hamels has a losing record. I think he falls into the category of "let's just hope he doesn't get healthy against us."

OnBaseMachine
07-11-2010, 05:40 PM
Very, very disappointing road trip by the Reds. Started out 5-2 and ended up going 5-6. The sad thing is the Reds should have swept the Phillies, instead the Reds were swept. All four games were very winnable for the Reds.

Game 1: Johnny Cueto - 7 IP, 1 ER. Reds lose thanks to unearned run, twice failed to get runner in from 3rd with less than two outs.

Game 2: Mike Leake - 1 R thru 8 IP. Gave up 4 ER in 9th inning after being left in two batters too long. The offense also left a ton of runners on base.

Game 3: Travis Wood - 9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8. Carried a perfect game into the 9th inning. Twice the offense stranded a runner on 3rd with less than two outs.

Game 4: Matt Maloney - 6 IP, 1 R. Bases loaded, no outs in 4th and they didn't score a single run. Stranded eight runners.

At worst, the Reds should have split this series.

Joseph
07-11-2010, 07:50 PM
Very, very disappointing road trip by the Reds. Started out 5-2 and ended up going 5-6. The sad thing is the Reds should have swept the Phillies, instead the Reds were swept. All four games were very winnable for the Reds.

Game 1: Johnny Cueto - 7 IP, 1 ER. Reds lose thanks to unearned run, twice failed to get runner in from 3rd with less than two outs.

Game 2: Mike Leake - 1 R thru 8 IP. Gave up 4 ER in 9th inning after being left in two batters too long. The offense also left a ton of runners on base.

Game 3: Travis Wood - 9 IP, 1 H, 0 R, 0 BB, 8. Carried a perfect game into the 9th inning. Twice the offense stranded a runner on 3rd with less than two outs.

Game 4: Matt Maloney - 6 IP, 1 R. Bases loaded, no outs in 4th and they didn't score a single run. Stranded eight runners.

At worst, the Reds should have split this series.

After the frustration of losing subsides you see both that we missed some opportunities, but also that we were right there neck and neck with the defending NL Champion. In the playoffs anything can happen, if we get there that is.

OnBaseMachine
07-11-2010, 07:52 PM
After the frustration of losing subsides you see both that we missed some opportunities, but also that we were right there neck and neck with the defending NL Champion. In the playoffs anything can happen, if we get there that is.

Yeah, I was extremely pleased with the way the Reds pitched in Philly (except for Cordero). I just found it disappointing that the offense failed so many times to get a runner in from third base with less than two outs. The Reds couldn't have asked for four better starts from their pitchers.

CarolinaRedleg
07-11-2010, 09:42 PM

;)

Well, it's clear I'm not in the jinx-busting business.

Caveat Emperor
07-12-2010, 02:09 AM

I see 4 losses. Don't care who they're to, don't care how close the games were.

And I see a Cardinals team 1 game back of us that has Chris Carpenter, Adam Wainwright, and Jamie Garcia in their rotation.

Walt needs to be working the phones like his life depends on it.

RANDY IN INDY
07-12-2010, 09:45 AM
The Cardinals will do something to get better by the deadline. The Reds better be in a position to do the same thing.

Falls City Beer
07-12-2010, 09:48 AM
The Cardinals will do something to get better by the deadline. The Reds better be in a position to do the same thing.

I agree. But the Reds also got a lot better at last year's deadline. Even betterer in fact. :)

OesterPoster
07-12-2010, 10:26 AM
Can't read his Insider article, but noticed this Tweet from Buster about remaining SoS.

Buster_ESPN
Strength of schedules for the second half -- and that data brings terrible news for the Dodgers, and great news for the Cincinnati Reds. 30 minutes ago via web

Homer Bailey
07-12-2010, 11:03 AM
That 17 is the Reds SOS ranking of the 17 contending teams. Not bad, eh?

17. Cincinnati Reds
Games remaining against teams with records over .500: 25
Home games: 35 of 72
Conversation piece: Look, it can't get much better than this for the Reds. They finish the first half of the season leading the division, and they have the easiest finishing schedule in the big leagues. This is who they play from Sept. 10 through Sept. 22, as they make their push for the playoffs -- Pittsburgh, Arizona, Houston and Milwaukee.

LincolnparkRed
07-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Can't read his Insider article, but noticed this Tweet from Buster about remaining SoS.

Buster_ESPN
Strength of schedules for the second half -- and that data brings terrible news for the Dodgers, and great news for the Cincinnati Reds. 30 minutes ago via web

here is the reds spot

17. Cincinnati Reds
Games remaining against teams with records over .500: 25
Home games: 35 of 72
Conversation piece: Look, it can't get much better than this for the Reds. They finish the first half of the season leading the division, and they have the easiest finishing schedule in the big leagues. This is who they play from Sept. 10 through Sept. 22, as they make their push for the playoffs -- Pittsburgh, Arizona, Houston and Milwaukee.

Hoosier Red
07-12-2010, 11:15 AM
I see 4 losses. Don't care who they're to, don't care how close the games were.

And I see a Cardinals team 1 game back of us that has Chris Carpenter, Adam Wainwright, and Jamie Garcia in their rotation.

Walt needs to be working the phones like his life depends on it.

Of course that's the same Cardinals team that has to throw some combination of Blake Hawksworth, Jeff Suppan, Adam Ottavino and PJ Walters out there too.

I'll take my chances with Arroyo,Cueto,Volquez, Leake, Wood, with Harang and Maloney coming in case of injury or tiredness.

Ghosts of 1990
07-12-2010, 11:21 AM

Buster_ESPN

They were talking about it on Mike and Mike in the Morning on ESPN radio this morning about 9:30, but I had to go into work before they got to it.

I actually looked at our schedule in September, it looks very, very favorable.

nate
07-12-2010, 11:33 AM
Having an easy schedule in the second half is great and all but in the postseason, all teams have winning records.

I want to see the Reds have a team that beats all comers, not just the Pirates.

Hoosier Red
07-12-2010, 11:49 AM
Having an easy schedule in the second half is great and all but in the postseason, all teams have winning records.

I want to see the Reds have a team that beats all comers, not just the Pirates.

Well I'm all for getting there in the first place. The Cardinals have a better record against teams with winning records than the Reds, but the one thing the Reds have done really well is pound the teams they were supposed to beat.
Right now the Reds have a much better record against teams with losing records than the Cardinals. The Cards are 27-20, the Reds are 31-16.

Looking at the remaining schedule, the Cards still have 12 with the Cubs and 12 with the Pirates. The Reds have 12 games with the Brewers, and 9 with the Astros.