PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals dangling 2009 #1 pick for Cliff Lee?

Vottomatic
06-28-2010, 03:42 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/06/mystery-team-after-cliff-lee.html

Cardinals after Haren. Cardinals after Lee.

I guess we're content to finish second. :rolleyes:

Vottomatic
06-28-2010, 03:43 PM
Let's offer them Harang for Shelby Miller. :D

GIDP
06-28-2010, 03:46 PM
Where are the Cardinals linked to Haren and Lee other than complete guessing?

Hey guys "Reds are after Arod"

Vottomatic
06-28-2010, 03:47 PM

What do you mean? mlbtraderumors.com is the most reliable source of trade rumors on the internet. Are you saying they're not? :D :p:

Hey man, it makes for good discussion.

Vottomatic
06-28-2010, 03:48 PM

Here's the latest rumor:

Reds are close to completing trades for both Cliff Lee and Dan Haren.

News at 11. :D

GIDP
06-28-2010, 03:49 PM
What do you mean? mlbtraderumors.com is the most reliable source of trade rumors on the internet. Are you saying they're not? :D :p:

Hey man, it makes for good discussion.

They report other peoples reports. Thats not what I'm saying though. I want to know where people are getting these ideas other than complete guess work. Seriously nothing of substance has came up. Not even the typical report "high ranking officials" or "scouting"

Basically these things are "Cardinals might be a team"

That's certainly nothing worth a darn.

bounty37h
06-28-2010, 03:52 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/06/mystery-team-after-cliff-lee.html

Cardinals after Haren. Cardinals after Lee.

I guess we're content to finish second. :rolleyes:

Vottomatic, I like ya man, but you need a drink I think, you worry too much :)

Kingspoint
06-28-2010, 06:25 PM
From Rotoworld via Jeff Fletcher on Twitter w/ Rotoworld comments:

Jeff Fletcher of AOL Fanhouse has confirmed that the Cardinals are indeed interested in Mariners lefty Cliff Lee.

Where the talks currently stand is anyone's guess. The Cardinals have a very thin farm system and really only boast one top prospect: 19-year-old potential ace Shelby Miller, who has struck out 60 batters in 44 1/3 innings at Single-A this season. If a deal is to happen, he will need to be part of it. Lee, 31, has a 2.39 ERA, a 0.91 WHIP and an incredible 76/4 K/BB ratio through 11 starts this year. He has thrown four complete games, one shutout.

AintlifeGrande
06-28-2010, 06:36 PM
AOL Fanhouse,that say's it all right there.Hyperbole at it's finest.You can bet your bottom dollar that it will take more than a #1 pick to get Lee,much less Danny Haren.These GM's know that team's in a pennant race will do whatever it takes to find that missing piece of the puzzle.

Vottomatic
06-28-2010, 06:39 PM
Vottomatic, I like ya man, but you need a drink I think, you worry too much :)

Just trying to get the board riled up. Lack of emotion around here. :D

Kingspoint
06-28-2010, 06:52 PM
AOL Fanhouse,that say's it all right there.Hyperbole at it's finest.You can bet your bottom dollar that it will take more than a #1 pick to get Lee,much less Danny Haren.These GM's know that team's in a pennant race will do whatever it takes to find that missing piece of the puzzle.

The last two teams that traded for Cliff Lee traded far less than a #1 pick. Just sayin'. It could be that around the league, there isn't a great respect for Cliff Lee.

General Managers are strange creatures.

Griffey012
06-28-2010, 08:20 PM
The last two teams that traded for Cliff Lee traded far less than a #1 pick. Just sayin'. It could be that around the league, there isn't a great respect for Cliff Lee.

General Managers are strange creatures.

Lee to to the Phillies deal:
Jason Knapp (2nd rd pick in 2008, #64 BA prospect pre-2010)
Carlos Carrasco (#54 BA prospect pre-2008)
Jason Donald (3rd round pick in 2006, #69 BA prospect pre-2009)
Lou Marson (4th round pick in 2004, #69 BA prospect pre-2009)

Lee to the M's deal:
J.C. Ramirez (doesn't appear to be much)
Phillip Aumont (1 round #11 in 2007, #93 prospect pre-2009)
Tyson Gillies (doesn't look like much

I wouldn't say Lee has been traded for far less than a 1st round pick. The Phillies package is comparable to one that would include Alonso or Frazier and 3 other solid A/AA level prospects.

The M's package included a former 1st round pick, who had a solid start to his career but has tanked it since joining the Phills. Based off these trades he may be able to be had for Alonso and some filler.

But I would agree, it looks like GM's really undervalue Lee.

gedred69
06-28-2010, 09:48 PM
Lee to to the Phillies deal:
Jason Knapp (2nd rd pick in 2008, #64 BA prospect pre-2010)
Carlos Carrasco (#54 BA prospect pre-2008)
Jason Donald (3rd round pick in 2006, #69 BA prospect pre-2009)
Lou Marson (4th round pick in 2004, #69 BA prospect pre-2009)

Lee to the M's deal:
J.C. Ramirez (doesn't appear to be much)
Phillip Aumont (1 round #11 in 2007, #93 prospect pre-2009)
Tyson Gillies (doesn't look like much

I wouldn't say Lee has been traded for far less than a 1st round pick. The Phillies package is comparable to one that would include Alonso or Frazier and 3 other solid A/AA level prospects.

The M's package included a former 1st round pick, who had a solid start to his career but has tanked it since joining the Phills. Based off these trades he may be able to be had for Alonso and some filler.

But I would agree, it looks like GM's really undervalue Lee.

I've said from the day he was drafted, Alonzo is some future trade maker. He isn't taking Votto's place anytime soon..

Griffey012
06-28-2010, 10:25 PM
I've said from the day he was drafted, Alonzo is some future trade maker. He isn't taking Votto's place anytime soon..

I am with you there, and it may be in our best interest to trade him while he still has the "hype" of being a high draft pick, that way we get value for him and don't have to wait and see if he starts to turn things up in the minors.

And I am not trying to say he is a bust, or not going to be good, its just the jury is still out on him.

BigPoppa
06-28-2010, 10:43 PM
Here's the latest rumor:

Reds are close to completing trades for both Cliff Lee and Dan Haren.

News at 11. :D

I think you misunderstood. Walt just inked Cliff Haren and Dan Lee to minor league deals. :D

Vottomatic
06-29-2010, 12:24 PM
http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=571946

If a top prospect (Shelby Miller - Cardinals - Quad City) pitching in single A with a 4.67 ERA, .261 BAA, 1-3 record is what will get Cliff Lee, we should be in the running easily. Geez. No wonder the Cardinals are "dangling" him.

Looks like he has a long way to go with nothing yet that says he'll even make it to the big leagues. If Seattle makes that deal, they got robbed.

DirtyBaker
06-29-2010, 01:07 PM
Hey c'mon we got gary matthews jr what do you expect?! :D

GIDP
06-29-2010, 01:11 PM
Reds need to get better hyping firms. I'm tired of hearing about how great all these other prospects are when we have just as many of the same. I seriously get the feeling that Travis Wood isnt viewed as anything more than some scrub in AAA. If he was out there for a larger market he would be a prize.

Now teams might not feel that way, which I hope not because they actually get paid to scout, but having all this press saying how great of a deal it would be has to help no matter what.

redhat
06-29-2010, 03:35 PM
These rumors aren't worth the electrons they're burning on the rumor site. They are complete guesswork, based (I assume) on the fact that the Cards will need another starting pitcher after the break.

Brad Penny is now throwing without pain and will begin stretching out for a second half comeback.

If the Cards got Cliff Lee, he'd just be the latest good starting pitcher that doesn't get any run support.

What the Cards really need is upgrades at second base and shortstop. Skip Schumaker is a substandard fielder at 2b and his middling-decent hitting isn't enough to make up the difference. While Brendan Ryan plays brilliantly in the field, he's spent the entire season flirting with the Mendoza line at the plate.

brm7675
06-29-2010, 04:07 PM
Looks like Lee will be long gone from the M's before the Cards are ready to decide if they want to trade for him. Reports are they are wanting to see how Penny and Lohse return from injury first and the M's are wanting to deal soon.

HalMorrisRules
06-29-2010, 06:37 PM
Peter Gammons just stated on MLB Tonight that he wouldn't be at all surprised that Lee ends up in Cincy. He based it upon Alonso being available to trade to the Mariners and said Lee would be a great fit for the Reds.

brm7675
06-29-2010, 06:48 PM
If we could get him for Alonso and say a A or AA player then yes, but not anything more.

Peter Gammons just stated on MLB Tonight that he wouldn't be at all surprised that Lee ends up in Cincy. He based it upon Alonso being available to trade to the Mariners and said Lee would be a great fit for the Reds.

Vottomatic
06-29-2010, 08:14 PM
Seems like we have more to offer because most of our positions are already filled. In fact 40% of our 25 man roster is filled with guys who were drafted and came through our system. In 3 years we need a third baseman. We need a SS soon. But all the other positions are filled.

Why not deal for Lee. The sooner the better. The more starts we get out of him.