PDA

View Full Version : All things trade related thread

GIDP
06-28-2010, 06:00 PM
I figured we should probably just create a culminative thread about all the trades that are going to be bantered about in the coming weeks and months.

Just saw on Twitter that our old pal Jim Bowden says according to a Royals scource the Reds are in on David DeJesus, along with the Sox and Braves.

http://twitter.com/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/17279117847

I'm not sure Id like him because I dont want Dusty to have him. I think if we grabbed him it means Stubbs wouldnt play much. Now if they brought him in and played him over Gomes more Id like it, but bringing him as a CF? No thanks really.

Reds
06-28-2010, 06:05 PM
I had read a week or so ago that DeJesus would likely be brought in as a defensive upgrade in LF.

GIDP
06-28-2010, 06:08 PM
I had read a week or so ago that DeJesus would likely be brought in as a defensive upgrade in LF.

Id buy into that completely, but something in me suggest thats not how it would happen.

berryluther
06-28-2010, 06:11 PM
I wonder how he would fair as a lead off hitter?

1990REDS
06-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Id buy into that completely, but something in me suggest thats not how it would happen.

dusty would put him in center the rest of the year, stubbs would get about 1 or 2 starts a week and mostly be a pinch runner, and the next time u would see hiesey would be on the back of a milk carton.

sabometrics
06-28-2010, 06:14 PM

http://www.baseball-reference.com/players/split.cgi?n1=dejesda01&year=Career&t=b#lineu

Not too bad probably.

GIDP
06-28-2010, 06:24 PM

Hopefully not good enough to move Phillips back down to 4th.

Isn't it a shame that I dont want to trade for guys out of fear that Dusty will tinker? Seriously...

bshall2105
06-28-2010, 06:33 PM
Hopefully not good enough to move Phillips back down to 4th.

Isn't it a shame that I dont want to trade for guys out of fear that Dusty will tinker? Seriously...

Couldn't we move Phillips back to 2 and Cabrera could hit 7th? That would look pretty good with Dejesus leading off.

GIDP
06-28-2010, 07:06 PM
I'd also like to add that I find it hard to trust the person that rumor was coming from. Not because of Bowden or anything he did while he was here, but because of how often he seems to be incorrect when talking about these types of things.

GIDP
06-28-2010, 08:05 PM
Matt Kemp has fallen out of favor with the Dodgers. They are benching him tonight against Zito who Kemp is hitting .457 in 35 ABs against for his career.

Kingspoint
06-28-2010, 08:11 PM
Matt Kemp has fallen out of favor with the Dodgers. They are benching him tonight against Zito who Kemp is hitting .457 in 35 ABs against for his career.

I saw that on mlb.network. They talk of him like he's the Jose Canseco of Centerfield.

GIDP
06-28-2010, 08:15 PM
I saw that on mlb.network. They talk of him like he's the Jose Canseco of Centerfield.

Hes not good out there, but he's certainly not as bad, well from all I have seen, as they made him seem. He should play a corner OF position. I certainly think hes a better overall player than Gomes though.

GIDP
06-28-2010, 08:24 PM
http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/28/nothing-doing-on-dejesus/

Nothing on the DeJesus trade front according to Fay. If the DeJesus rumor came from a national writer I might be inclined to believe it even with Fays reaction, but it was Bowden who doesnt have enough credibility for me.

The Voice of IH
06-28-2010, 08:59 PM
Seriously, what would it take to get Choo from the Indians? I don't care if you like it or not, just want your opinion on want it would take. ;)

Griffey012
06-28-2010, 09:02 PM
I would absolutely love David DeJesus. Dusty has been making good lineup changes so far this season, he would pencil him into the 1 or 2 hole with Phillips hitting in the other spot. I would really be indifferent to either order of the 2.

Stubbs has been pretty overmatched at the plate lately and not only would DeJesus be an upgrade, he would provide great insurance should Gomes fall back down to earth. We can't afford to depend on a guy hitting with a .311 OBP and .702 OPS if we could get our hands on a guy like DeJesus and his .361 career OBP.

I love Stubbs and think he is going to be a great player, but we can't afford to let his development get in the way of winning now, Stubbs would still get 2 or 3 starts a week, it isn't going to wreck his career.

Griffey012
06-28-2010, 09:03 PM
Seriously, what would it take to get Choo from the Indians? I don't care if you like it or not, just want your opinion on want it would take. ;)

Who wouldn't like to have Choo is the real question? It would take a lot though, the guy is a stud and still cheap.

Vottomatic
06-28-2010, 11:43 PM
I already brought up trading for Choo on the "leadoff hitter" thread.

I got shot down because Choo has to return to South Korea for a 2 year military obligation after this season.

texasdave
06-29-2010, 12:30 AM
I would absolutely love David DeJesus. Dusty has been making good lineup changes so far this season, he would pencil him into the 1 or 2 hole with Phillips hitting in the other spot. I would really be indifferent to either order of the 2.

I think Dusty's lineups have been better in 2010. But having Orlando Cabrera and his .280-something OBP hitting first or second for most of the season is questionable.

Kingspoint
06-29-2010, 04:12 AM
The lineup he had last night is now 2-0 scoring 10 and 7 runs, respectively.

swaisuc
06-29-2010, 10:41 AM

Probably Votto straight up is close. If not, maybe a combo of Cueto and a top hitting prospect.

Like everyone else, I love Choo's game, but I'm just never a fan of trading for guys while their value is sky high. You're talking about gutting a large part of your core on a team that has spent quite a bit of time and money developing that core for now and years to come.

I think the asking price for Kemp will be lower and you don't have the military questions. If I'm the Reds though, I'm throwing prospects at Cliff Lee and hoping for the best with my current lineup.

Vottomatic
06-29-2010, 10:45 AM
Probably Votto straight up is close. If not, maybe a combo of Cueto and a top hitting prospect.

Like everyone else, I love Choo's game, but I'm just never a fan of trading for guys while their value is sky high. You're talking about gutting a large part of your core on a team that has spent quite a bit of time and money developing that core for now and years to come.

I think the asking price for Kemp will be lower and you don't have the military questions. If I'm the Reds though, I'm throwing prospects at Cliff Lee and hoping for the best with my current lineup.

I disagree about what it would take in trade.

You rarely see major leaguers swapped for major leaguers anymore. Typically you see prospects dealt for major leaguers, especially when one team is rebuilding.

A good haul of prospects would get a Choo or Dejesus. Not saying I want to do it, but I don't think we'd have to trade any major leaguers.

swaisuc
06-29-2010, 11:14 AM
I disagree about what it would take in trade.

You rarely see major leaguers swapped for major leaguers anymore. Typically you see prospects dealt for major leaguers, especially when one team is rebuilding.

A good haul of prospects would get a Choo or Dejesus. Not saying I want to do it, but I don't think we'd have to trade any major leaguers.

You are comparing Choo and Dejesus? I'll put it in a Reds perspective. That is similar to the difference between asking for Joey Votto or asking for Johnny Gomes.

Sure, they'd both help a team right now, but the value isnt close due to age, skill set, contract status, etc.

Now pretend you are rebuilding. Would you ask for more to trade Votto who still has several cheap years and is very young or Gomes who could likely be gone next year anyway? This is why dealing prospects is an option for Dejesus IMO and not for Choo.

Vottomatic
06-29-2010, 11:37 AM
You are comparing Choo and Dejesus? I'll put it in a Reds perspective. That is similar to the difference between asking for Joey Votto or asking for Johnny Gomes.

Sure, they'd both help a team right now, but the value isnt close due to age, skill set, contract status, etc.

Now pretend you are rebuilding. Would you ask for more to trade Votto who still has several cheap years and is very young or Gomes who could likely be gone next year anyway? This is why dealing prospects is an option for Dejesus IMO and not for Choo.

Choo has a South Korean military obligation after this season barring a miracle that his South Korean team wins gold in the Asian Games which might grant him a military duty waiver from his homeland country. He will turn 28 on July 13th. He is probably the best player on a lousy team. But he doesn't have a long track record yet of proving himself. He never played more than 94 games in a season until last season. And he hadn't played more than 94 games before that, with his high being 45 games in 2006. Cleveland is tied for 3rd to last in the AL in hitting and is 2nd to last in pitching. One major leaguer from the Reds isn't going to help them. Nor would the Reds part with their best player. Cleveland is rebuilding. They would want a boatload of top or good prospects for Choo, hoping they find multiple pieces to help their rebuilding rather than have just one good player (Votto) playing on a lousy team. That's how it works.

Same goes for Dejesus. Kansas City is first in hitting in the AL but near the bottom in pitching. They would probably take a few of the Reds pitching prospects for Dejesus and an OF prospect to replace him. He's 30 years old and having his best offensive season ever right now. But then again, KC has a great offense considering their first in the AL in hitting. A good lineup around you always helps.

Prospects for either would get it done. Both teams are rebuilding.

swaisuc
06-29-2010, 11:43 AM
Choo has a South Korean military obligation after this season barring a miracle that his South Korean team wins gold in the Asian Games which might grant him a military duty waiver from his homeland country. He will turn 28 on July 13th. He is probably the best player on a lousy team. But he doesn't have a long track record yet of proving himself. He never played more than 94 games in a season until last season. And he hadn't played more than 94 games before that, with his high being 45 games in 2006. Cleveland is tied for 3rd to last in the AL in hitting and is 2nd to last in pitching. One major leaguer from the Reds isn't going to help them. Nor would the Reds part with their best player. Cleveland is rebuilding. They would want a boatload of top or good prospects for Choo, hoping they find multiple pieces to help their rebuilding rather than have just one good player (Votto) playing on a lousy team. That's how it works.

Same goes for Dejesus. Kansas City is first in hitting in the AL but near the bottom in pitching. They would probably take a few of the Reds pitching prospects for Dejesus and an OF prospect to replace him. He's 30 years old and having his best offensive season ever right now. But then again, KC has a great offense considering their first in the AL in hitting. A good lineup around you always helps.

Prospects for either would get it done. Both teams are rebuilding.

If that is how it works then when was the last time a team traded its best young player for other prospects when it was rebuilding?

You basically ignored the comparison, but if the Reds were terrible right now you would trade Votto for prospects?

Vottomatic
06-29-2010, 11:48 AM
If that is how it works then when was the last time a team traded its best young player for other prospects when it was rebuilding?

You basically ignored the comparison, but if the Reds were terrible right now you would trade Votto for prospects?

Choo/Dejesus < Votto

Comparison doesn't work.

Votto is putting up comparable numbers to Pujols. I believe he was one of 4 players to finish in the top ten last year of batting average, OPS, SLG, and OBP. I think it was Joe Mauer, A-Roid, Pujols and Votto who accomplished that last year.

Far from the same comparison.

Choo is having a breakout year. Dejesus is having a career year at 30 years old (soon to be 31).

Completely different comparison.

brm7675
06-29-2010, 12:36 PM
A team insider tells John Fay of the Cincinnati Enquirer that the Reds are not discussing a David DeJesus trade with the Royals. The Reds appear content with Jonny Gomes, Jay Bruce and Drew Stubbs in their outfield and are not currently pursuing the hot-hitting DeJesus. Chris Heisey and Laynce Nix are also on the Reds' active roster and Gary Matthews Jr. is at Triple A.

Trace's Daddy
06-29-2010, 12:40 PM
Good, hopefully they're talking to the Royals about Farnsworth instead....then he and Gomes could team up and kick ass if there's a bench clearing brawl....I guess he'd help the bullpen too :D

Red in Atl
06-29-2010, 12:59 PM
The lineup he had last night is now 2-0 scoring 10 and 7 runs, respectively.

That is also the lineup that I offered up in late April/early May. But I had to let it go, because BP was doing well in the #2 and Ocab was hitting at leadoff. Just makes more sense to me to have speed at the top.

Vottomatic
06-29-2010, 11:23 PM
I really think if we could get Cliff Lee and maybe a good #2 hitter with a high OBP, it would put this team over the top. I know that sounds simple and a big "duh" comes with it. But another way to say it, is that this team isn't that far away from being one of the more dominant teams if they could fill those two holes.

Also, bolstering the bullpen would be nice too.

aubashbrother
06-30-2010, 02:27 AM
Dont know if anyone heard MLB Tonight the early edition but they were talking about the Reds , specifically Rolen and what he has done to help us. Peter Gammons went on to say that in his mind the Reds are a real sleeper in the Cliff Lee sweepstakes and mentioned he had a first baseman ( Alonso ) or as he said Alfonso that wouldnt play here and that he really believes we a sleeper to pull Lee in. Also on the late night edition Larkin was on and said pretty much the same thing that he had been talking to Peter and he sees the Reds going after him

GIDP
06-30-2010, 08:48 AM
Fay had a blog post talking to Walt

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/29/talking-to-walt/

I asked Walt Jocketty if there’s a chance the Reds won’t do much as the trade deadline approaches.

“If there’s a way to improve the club, we’ll do it,” Jocketty said. “But we like our club the way it is quite a bit. You never know for sure who’s available. We’re talking to clubs to see what’s out. But I really can’t gauge how active we’ll be.”

brm7675
06-30-2010, 11:32 AM
Well that clears up everything...:)

Fay had a blog post talking to Walt

http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/2010/06/29/talking-to-walt/

Vottomatic
07-25-2010, 09:32 AM
Not much happening.

{crickets churping}

texasdave
07-25-2010, 09:48 AM
Went to the game yesterday and I got the distinct impression that Roy Oswalt wanted to be anywhere else besides standing on the mound in an Astros' uniform. The fans in the section around me were giving it to him pretty good. As they should have. I don't see where talking in public about how you will redo this or forego that to make a trade happen can have anything but a negative effect.

muddie
07-25-2010, 10:17 AM
Went to the game yesterday and I got the distinct impression that Roy Oswalt wanted to be anywhere else besides standing on the mound in an Astros' uniform. The fans in the section around me were giving it to him pretty good. As they should have. I don't see where talking in public about how you will redo this or forego that to make a trade happen can have anything but a negative effect.

Along that line from the Reds page...and old news as well I hope.

Reds not considering Oswalt
HOUSTON -- There was a feeling in the air that ace pitcher Roy Oswalt could be making his final start for the Astros on Saturday. Oswalt has been the subject of trade rumors all week. And the Reds' main division rival -- the Cardinals -- has been viewed as one of the leading suitors.

With Oswalt making $15 million this season, owed $16 million for 2011 and a $16 million club option for 2012, he does not likely fit into the Reds' financial plans, and there have been no rumors involving Cincinnati. Don't expect Reds general manager Walt Jocketty to jump into the fray to make a deal in an effort to block Oswalt from going to St. Louis.

Vottomatic
07-25-2010, 10:35 AM
Good news. I don't want him. I think his best years are behind him and it's way too much money for this club considering that.

texasdave
07-25-2010, 12:38 PM
The competition in the Scott Downs sweepstakes is "fierce," tweets Jon Paul Morosi of FOX Sports. Morosi suggests that the Yankees and the Red Sox are the current front-runners, but that the Mets, Reds, and Twins are also involved.In a year where the bullpen options are scarce, Downs stands out as not only the top left-handed arm available among an underwhelming group of southpaws, but also as one of the best overall relievers on the market. As MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith pointed out when he examined Downs' trade value, the lefty seems headed for Type A designation, meaning he could potentially be worth a pair of draft picks for whichever team he finishes the year with.

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

scott91575
07-25-2010, 01:08 PM
http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

Interesting, but this actually hurts

As MLBTR's Ben Nicholson-Smith pointed out when he examined Downs' trade value, the lefty seems headed for Type A designation, meaning he could potentially be worth a pair of draft picks for whichever team he finishes the year with.

That ups his trade value. It's not like the Jays don't realize that fact.

BUTLER REDSFAN
07-25-2010, 01:14 PM
I really dont understand the constant talk about us trading for pitching. For the 1st time in years we seem to have an abundance of pitching. We have been shutout 11 times this year. Why aren't we pursuing some offense?!?

Griffey012
07-25-2010, 01:24 PM
I really dont understand the constant talk about us trading for pitching. For the 1st time in years we seem to have an abundance of pitching. We have been shutout 11 times this year. Why aren't we pursuing some offense?!?

The issue is I don't know who we would replace in the lineup. The only real option would be replacing Stubbs, but I don't know that there is a real upgrade available. I would love to see them pursue a super utility guy like Ty Wiggington to fill in some at 3b, 1b and be a solid bat off the bench.

xavr1
07-25-2010, 02:24 PM
I think if the right bat came along, they would replace Stubbs, Gomes, or (and this is much less likely) Cabrera.