PDA

View Full Version : Reds discussing David DeJesus with Royals?

OnBaseMachine
06-28-2010, 05:09 PM
From Jim Bowden's twitter:

Royals Source: Reds, Red Sox, Braves all discussing DeJesus with Royals....Giants interest in Jose Guillen if Royals pay most of salary....

http://twitter.com/JimBowdenXMFOX/status/17279117847

TheNext44
06-28-2010, 05:23 PM
A good sign that the Reds might be willing to take on salary.

I would love a four man outfield of Bruce, Stubbs, DeJesus and Gomes.

HumnHilghtFreel
06-28-2010, 05:24 PM
No idea what his defense is like, but he'd be a nice boost in the leadoff spot.

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2010, 05:33 PM
DeJesus may cost a big part of the farm. Is he worth it?

RBA
06-28-2010, 05:39 PM
A good sign that the Reds might be willing to take on salary.

I would love a four man outfield of Bruce, Stubbs, DeJesus and Gomes.

I think the umpire might notice an extra outfielder. Would he be playing short center/left backing up Cabrera? :D

TheNext44
06-28-2010, 05:40 PM
I think the umpire might notice an extra outfielder. Would he be playing short center/left backing up Cabrera? :D

Well, the Reds have been hitting like a beer softball league lately...

TheNext44
06-28-2010, 05:43 PM

It's the Royals. They traded away good prospects to get Yuniesky Betancourt, and signed Juan Cruz and Kyle Farnsworth to big contracts.

I'd start with Willy Taveras, Norris Hopper and Marcus McBeth, and hope they don't notice that they aren't with the Reds anymore.

Tom Servo
06-28-2010, 05:45 PM
I'm a bit leery of our source here.

Spitball
06-28-2010, 05:58 PM

A few years ago, the Royals traded Carlos Beltran to the Astros for Mark Teahen, John Buck, and Mike Wood in a three-way with Oakland. I believe the Astros also sent Dotel to Oakland.

That trade certainly didn't cost the Astros their farm, but who knows. I doubt the Reds would bid too seriously for additional outfield depth.

Benihana
06-28-2010, 06:00 PM
I'm a bit leery of our source here.

Me too. I can't imagine Reds brass thinks adding another OF would be more helpful than another pitcher at this point, especially if the cost is similar in terms of prospects and salary.

I like the idea of getting a true leadoff hitter. But I like the idea of bolstering the rotation and/or the bullpen MUCH better, especially if said leadoff hitter is not a SS.

If they're going to look at a position player that is reportedly available, I'd much rather look at Yunel Escobar.

fearofpopvol1
06-28-2010, 06:03 PM
I read elsewhere that the BoSox inquired about DeJesus and quickly backed away because the Royals had high demands. Not sure if it's true or not.

BrooklynRedz
06-28-2010, 06:08 PM
Sounds like a seller trying make or move a market.

Strikes Out Looking
06-28-2010, 06:14 PM
Leatherpants and twit in the same sentence. Too easy.

UKFlounder
06-28-2010, 06:29 PM
But asking about him to determine what the price might be is not a bad idea. If they want to much, just quit talking, but the Reds might as well at least "kick the tires" and try to find a bargain.

Me too. I can't imagine Reds brass thinks adding another OF would be more helpful than another pitcher at this point, especially if the cost is similar in terms of prospects and salary.

I like the idea of getting a true leadoff hitter. But I like the idea of bolstering the rotation and/or the bullpen MUCH better, especially if said leadoff hitter is not a SS.

If they're going to look at a position player that is reportedly available, I'd much rather look at Yunel Escobar.

jojo
06-28-2010, 06:34 PM
Stubbs would be an obvious part of the deal as the Reds would probably stick Dejesus in center. Then pitching?

RedEye
06-28-2010, 06:46 PM
Stubbs would be an obvious part of the deal as the Reds would probably stick Dejesus in center. Then pitching?

Or Heisey, right? Is DeJesus really better than both those guys? I don't have the impression he's that good...

TheNext44
06-28-2010, 06:49 PM

I wouldn't trade five years of Stubbs for two years of DeJesus.

DeJesus is around a 3-4 win player, might be more this year as he is having a career year. I see Stubbs with his defense as a 3 win player right now with the potential of being a 4-5 win player.

Use DeJesus against RHP to spell either Gomes or Stubbs. That should get him in the lineup more that enough.

TRF
06-28-2010, 07:04 PM
Stubbs, Maloney and Del Rosario.

I'd do that.

RedEye
06-28-2010, 07:08 PM

I'd do that.

I thought you liked Stubbs now, TRF. Is David DeJesus really so good that he's worth trading away a plus-plus CF with loads of untapped offensive upside? I'm not sure. Maloney and Del Rosario can go though.

Falls City Beer
06-28-2010, 07:11 PM
This move would be fine if it replaced Stubbs' bat. He'd be a step down defensively, but not so much that it would detract from the obvious offensive boost he'd give over Stubbs' replacement level bat.

Falls City Beer
06-28-2010, 07:12 PM
I thought you liked Stubbs now, TRF. Is David DeJesus really so good that he's worth trading away a plus-plus CF with loads of untapped offensive upside? I'm not sure. Maloney and Del Rosario can go though.

Stubbs is soon to be 26--I don't think he's got an unlimited offensive ceiling. We're probably seeing roughly what he's going to be with the bat.

RedEye
06-28-2010, 07:16 PM
Stubbs is soon to be 26--I don't think he's got an unlimited offensive ceiling. We're probably seeing roughly what he's going to be with the bat.

But there is an open debate about whether age is actually the best barometer of development, is there not? Stubbs has scarcely 400 PA in the majors, which I think means the jury is still out on his upside as a hitter.

Stubbs debates aside, I guess I just don't see OF to be a glaring need for a trade right now. The trio of Bruce/Stubbs/Gomes has been fine, and there's always Heisey waiting in the wings if one of the three gets injured or falters. I'd really hate to see the team give up a valuable piece for the future for such a slight upgrade as DeJesus.

RedEye
06-28-2010, 07:21 PM
OTOH, if Stubbs becomes the principle piece in another deal to get some starting pitching, then acquiring DeJesus would make a heck of a lot of sense. And then I would start to get pretty excited about the rest of the season!

Homer Bailey
06-28-2010, 07:24 PM
I wouldn't give up many of the prospects mentioned in this thread unless the Reds were getting back a true impact player. I think DeJesus would be a slight upgrade in the Reds roster, but I don't think he's an impact bat.

If you're going to make a trade giving up the type of prospects mentioned here, go get a starting pitcher.

KoryMac5
06-28-2010, 07:34 PM

I'd do that.

KC wants more right now, and with several teams in the running they are likely to keep the price pretty high. To me Dejesus isn't that much of an upgrade over what we already have to justify giving up as much as they want.

I think the Reds are looking at this wrong, SS to me is the most glaring hole on this team, and I am hoping Walt looks towards adding that piece.

mth123
06-28-2010, 07:35 PM

I'd do that.

Upgrade Del Rosario to Ondrusek, add Janish and Sulbaran and get Soria too. Throw in Frazier or Alonso if necessary.

I'd be all over that.

Falls City Beer
06-28-2010, 07:35 PM
Yeah, I see no reason to go after a CF either. But I'd do a Stubbs/DeJesus swap straight up.

_Sir_Charles_
06-28-2010, 07:40 PM
Per Fay....

The Reds and Kansas City outfielder David DeJesus have been linked on the rumor mill.

A Reds insider says the club isn’t talking to Kansas City about DeJesus.

The Reds don’t have a need for an outfielder. Jonny Gomes leads the club with 51 RBI. Jay Bruce is hitting .283 and playing like a Gold Glover in right. Drew Stubbs is only .234 but he has eight home runs, 35 RBI and 16 steals.

DeJesus makes $4.7 million this year.

Ghosts of 1990
06-28-2010, 10:07 PM
I don't see it happening. There's a lot of guys in that outfield rotation. Dickerson is on the mend. Gary Mathews Jr. was acquired for insurance. He'd take away RH at-bats from Stubbs, whose defense has been outstanding even when he's not hitting. I'm not sure it helps all that much for what it would cost, although I do want to see us add someone who can come in and supply a punch or some 'help'. Dejesus doesn't overwhelm me for whatever reason. I'd almost rather have Jose Guillen.

OnBaseMachine
06-28-2010, 10:10 PM
I would love to add DeJesus to the Reds lineup but I think another starting pitcher and a shortstop are the biggest needs. But I have a feeling they won't go after a SS. DeJesus would be a great fit at the top of the lineup though. With Gomes struggling again, the Reds need to find another bat somewhere to pair with Gomes.

LoganBuck
06-28-2010, 10:34 PM
Per Fay....

A Reds insider says the club isnít talking to Kansas City about DeJesus.

So who are they talking to Kansas City about?

Tom Servo
06-28-2010, 10:35 PM
So who are they talking to Kansas City about?
Bruce Chen, obviously.

Mario-Rijo
06-28-2010, 11:21 PM

That alone is too much. Heisey or Dickerson I could see as a piece, although I'd hope we can actually make a better deal than that frankly. DeJesus is a solid vet but he is on the downslope of his career. Juan Francisco and the usual suspects is plenty IMO. Francisco, Wood/Maloney and Sean Watson is plenty fair.

Mario-Rijo
06-28-2010, 11:25 PM
I would love to add DeJesus to the Reds lineup but I think another starting pitcher and a shortstop are the biggest needs. But I have a feeling they won't go after a SS. DeJesus would be a great fit at the top of the lineup though. With Gomes struggling again, the Reds need to find another bat somewhere to pair with Gomes.

I have a feeling they won't go after a soul unless a serious injury were to occur and even then I think they would try to grind thru it anyway.

buckeyenut
06-29-2010, 07:21 AM
Who are they talking to KC about? Hopefully Soria, Grienke or Alex Gordon.

LoganBuck
06-29-2010, 07:31 AM
Who are they talking to KC about? Hopefully Soria, Grienke or Alex Gordon.

Probably Kyle Farnsworth

OldXOhio
06-29-2010, 08:29 AM
Per Fay....

Who needs DeJesus anyway when you've got GMJ waiting in the wings baby!

BuckeyeRedleg
06-29-2010, 08:49 AM
Probably Kyle Farnsworth

This would make the most sense.

BuckeyeRedleg
06-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Between the end of last year and the first half of this year, Drew Stubbs has now played in 115 games.
Roughly 2/3 of a full season.

His numbers so far:

115 G
431 AB
16 HR
52 RBI
26 SB (26/33)

.248/.317.411/.728

He's on pace to have these numbers through his first 162 games:

607 AB
23 HR
73 RBI
37 SB (37/46)

23 HR, 73 RBI, 37 SB's, .728 OPS, with above average CF defense (all in his first full season), at the still young age of 25.

Another solid up-the-middle defensive player, Brandon Phillips, put up these numbers at 25 (2006, through 149 games):

17 HR, 75 RBI, 25 SB's, .751 OPS

I see no reason to mess with anything here. Let the kid play and keep developing for the league minimum.

nemesis
06-29-2010, 10:57 AM
Farnsworth would be an upgrade over anyone in the bullpen not named Rhodes. But if your gonna make a deal with them go big. Make a splash that everyone notices. Get Greinke, DeJesus, Soria, Gordon and Farnsworth.

Deal them Alonso, Heisey, Stubbs, Francisco, Bailey, Del Rosario, Herrera, Burton, Maloney, Wood and Sulbaran.

Win this year and still have the pieces for next year on the roster. Gives KC a complete rebuild and plenty of options for the future.

Chip R
06-29-2010, 11:24 AM
Farnsworth is the Milton Bradley of pitchers. Everybody likes them until they play on their team.

savafan
07-23-2010, 04:54 PM
David DeJesus Out For The Year

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/david-dejesus-out-for-the-year.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

smith288
07-23-2010, 04:56 PM

http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/2010/07/david-dejesus-out-for-the-year.html?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter
So youre saying there isnt a chance?

savafan
07-23-2010, 04:59 PM
So youre saying there isnt a chance?

Not even one in a million.

LoganBuck
07-23-2010, 05:02 PM
Maybe Walt has been in on Greinke all along?

Cross fingers hopefully.

Mario-Rijo
07-23-2010, 06:48 PM

BUM-MER, he was one of a tiny few who could have helped this offense.

GAC
07-23-2010, 07:26 PM
You don't mess with DeJesus man!

http://www.booreview.com/images/the_big_lebowski_jesus.jpg