PDA

View Full Version : I guess Gary Matthews is the new Reds player to bash

icehole3
06-29-2010, 04:52 AM
The guy is in AAA, let him hit and if he comes north in September is that a bad thing, I know Dusty and Matthews Sr are old buds and this could be Tavares 2.0, but is there a need to bash, Heisey and Stubbs arent going anywhere, well they may get traded but I have complete faith WJ after the Rolen trade

TheBigLebowski
06-29-2010, 09:07 AM
My hope is that the signing was merely for organizational depth. If that's the case, I have no issue - nice having a guy in AAA who is ML-ready should we incur an injury. Still, the memories of Corey Patterson and Chilly Willy Tavares are waaaaaaay too fresh in the minds of this fanbase for a signing like this not to be replete with fans gnashing their teeth.

icehole3
06-29-2010, 09:21 AM
I could see if the Reds had a big market budget, but they dont and this is the best way for the Reds to have some backup players in case of injuries, NY and LA, if an injury occurs just go out and trade their farm systems, the Reds cant logically afford to go that far

GIDP
06-29-2010, 09:30 AM
I think it has a lot to do with the manager being his dads best friend, quotes like "he plays better when he plays a lot", and the fact that they will turn to him over basically everyone else the moment the opportunity presents itself. People dont want him around. He hasnt been good for 4 years, and other than 3 career years he was bad prior to that even. Reds fans dont trust that he would be used in the same roll as laynce nix. We see him being used way too much and way too much in centerfield. So yes a lot of us are goin to be dissapointed if he does great in AAA.

icehole3
06-29-2010, 10:28 AM
If that happens sure let the party begin, but everytime the guy gets a hit guys start hyperventilating, praying that he K's every atbat, thats no way to be a Reds fan IMO

medford
06-29-2010, 11:57 AM
The guy is nothing more than organizational depth in a place where the Reds may need some depth/help on the major league level at some point this year. Stubbs is pretty well entrenched in CF right now. Bruce has RF locked down, and how do you sit Gomes and his production so far this year? Nix is nothing to write home about, and hits lefties as well as I do (well OK, slightly better, but only slightly), Dickerson is productive when he plays, but he can't stay healthy and I would imagine that Heisey gets brought up a lot from other teams anytime there are trade talks.

OK, so maybe Dusty is friends with his dad, but it seems like Dusty is friends with anyone that played in the 70s. Perhaps he's just one of those guys that's never meet a man he didn't like. At some point, there is a decent chance the Reds will need someone to man CF for a game or 3 either due to injury, trade or players needed rest. The Reds have no one in the minors right now that they can put in CF and feel comfortable. GMJ offers some much needed depth. From GMJ perspective, he knows there are no spots on a major league roster for him right now, but he probably got a promise of a september call up, and he proably knows there is a good chance either Heisey or Stubbs gets moved before August and the Reds need some help on the bench.

I won't worry about this until GMJ is taking bats for the Reds in ST. If he's still here next year, at least on anything beyond a minor league contract I'll be surprised.

GIDP
06-29-2010, 12:26 PM
If that happens sure let the party begin, but everytime the guy gets a hit guys start hyperventilating, praying that he K's every atbat, thats no way to be a Reds fan IMO

This forum would be pretty limited if we only allowed post after something happens.

RedsManRick
06-29-2010, 03:46 PM
I don't think people are bashing Matthews himself. We all know who he is; a replacement level player getting paid much more than that.

The "bashing" is of Jocketty for picking up a replacement level player for a position where we already have a good amount of depth and of Dusty for talking about his possible future in Cincinnati, when we already have 5 above replacement level OFs in the majors.

Obviously anything management says in the press about a guy's future should be taken with a grain of salt, but you can't blame us for being a bit jumpy when it comes to acquiring and playing replacement (or below replacement) level talent based on the argument that they were good at one point and just to recapture their perceived former glory.

icehole3
06-29-2010, 04:01 PM
the rooting for Reds players to do bad is what got to me, thats all

TRF
06-29-2010, 04:50 PM
the rooting for Reds players to do bad is what got to me, thats all

nobody is doing that. I just want him to be Gary Matthews Jr. That oughta do it.

redsmetz
06-29-2010, 04:52 PM
I don't think people are bashing Matthews himself. We all know who he is; a replacement level player getting paid much more than that.

The "bashing" is of Jocketty for picking up a replacement level player for a position where we already have a good amount of depth and of Dusty for talking about his possible future in Cincinnati, when we already have 5 above replacement level OFs in the majors.

Obviously anything management says in the press about a guy's future should be taken with a grain of salt, but you can't blame us for being a bit jumpy when it comes to acquiring and playing replacement (or below replacement) level talent based on the argument that they were good at one point and just to recapture their perceived former glory.

Where has Dusty said anything about a possible future for Matthews? Here's the quotes from Fay's story on 6/25:

Newly signed Gary Matthews Jr. has leadoff experience.

"He's got to get his act together first," Baker said. "How are you going to do that without getting your act together? Matthews is going to Triple-A to get his act together.

"If he had his act together, he'd be playing somewhere and probably leading off."

Really, a number of us having been saying that folks need to just relax. I'm reminded of the scene in Moonstruck where Cher slaps Nicholas Cage and says "Snap out of it!". Sure this club has made some moves over the last ten years that make you want to pound your head against the wall, but overall this regime hasn't done much of that and certainly not with this team, who happens, by the way, to be in first place. How do we celebrate that? Two angst ridden threads worrying that Gary Matthews Jr may some day bat as a Cincinnati Red. Holy Cow, the sky is falling. My sarcasm isn't directed at your specifically, but wow we're beating this GMJ horse six ways to Saturday and probably coming back for more after that.

Scrap Irony
06-29-2010, 04:55 PM

No, it's Jocketty AND Matthews AND (somehow) Baker.

I'm hoping it's just that there's so little to complain about.

icehole3
06-29-2010, 05:31 PM
nobody is doing that. I just want him to be Gary Matthews Jr. That oughta do it.

no ones doing that, OK

TRF
06-29-2010, 06:06 PM
no ones doing that, OK

Maybe a few are. I figure he'll be what he is, a mid 30's player with a weak bat that plays at best an average CF. He might get hot at AAA, but I don't want him taking PT from Heisey if Stubbs is the odd man out. And like woy says, Stubbs is going to get a lot of rope. I see no immediate future for him except at Heisey's expense.

That'd be a shame.

westofyou
06-29-2010, 06:10 PM
Maybe a few are. I figure he'll be what he is, a mid 30's player with a weak bat that plays at best an average CF. He might get hot at AAA, but I don't want him taking PT from Heisey if Stubbs is the odd man out. And like woy says, Stubbs is going to get a lot of rope. I see no immediate future for him except at Heisey's expense.

That'd be a shame.

Heisey riding he bench and getting 8 ab's a week is a bigger shame, he needs reps

Kingspoint
06-29-2010, 06:13 PM
We have Taveras 2.0 in both Cabrera (.242 OBP his last 28 days) and in Cairo (.471 OPS his last 28 days).

nate
06-29-2010, 06:19 PM
Heisey riding he bench and getting 8 ab's a week is a bigger shame, he needs reps

Word.

TRF
06-29-2010, 08:39 PM

I don't disagree. But he actually isn't blocked by Stubbs. He's blocked by Gomes. Like you said, He's the front runner for LF next year, and I think could be the guy this year. The wheels are starting to come off Gomes.

corkedbat
06-29-2010, 10:45 PM
What's not to bash? :D

RedsFanInBama
06-30-2010, 01:11 AM
I'd be concerned about something bad happening down the road if Heisey or Stubbs were playing worth a crap, but since they aren't...

Speaking of, when is Dickerson supposed to be healthy again?

RedsFanInBama
06-30-2010, 01:12 AM
We have Taveras 2.0 in both Cabrera (.242 OBP his last 28 days) and in Cairo (.471 OPS his last 28 days).

Cairo doesn't play enough to be considered in Taveras' league.

texasdave
07-15-2010, 07:59 PM
Bump. http://www.fangraphs.com/blogs/index.php/who-do-the-players-find-overrated/

187 players responded in a poll as to who the most overrated players in the game are. The poll will be in the 7/19 issue of SI. Coming in at 3#. GMJ.

This one is spot on. Matthews basically parlayed one decent year and one fantastic catch into a $50 million contract and whined when he couldn’t get playing time with the Angels. Why would he be considered overrated, after the Mets finally dumped him last month? Possibly because he managed to make the opening day lineup for the Mets in center field, despite the fact that he’s just plain not good – GMJ has posted a total of -1.1 WAR since 2007.

The players find him overrated for the same reasons we do – he’s bad, overpaid, and somehow manages to keep finding roster spots – the Reds signed him to a minor league deal recently, so there’s still a chance that Matthews’ MLB career isn’t over.