PDA

View Full Version : Jay Bruce is a Super Two

texasdave
06-29-2010, 05:50 AM
Good news for Jay Bruce! :beerme: But some of that payflex just got eaten up.

The top beneficiary of the reduced Super Two requirement is Reds right fielder Jay Bruce. After this season Bruce will have two years and 125 days, and MLBTR has confirmed he'll be the Super Two with the least amount of service time. The Reds delayed his MLB debut until May 27th back in 2008, but he's still going to arbitration four times - starting after this season. Instead of earning $450K in 2011, he'll get millions.

Linkage: http://www.mlbtraderumors.com/

The Voice of IH
06-29-2010, 08:34 AM
and this is why Harange and Arroyo have to go after this season. our cheap young stars are not going to be cheap for much longer.

GIDP
06-29-2010, 09:09 AM
He shouldnt get paid too much, hes been good this year but thats not enough to take up a ton of cash.

ian_madden
06-29-2010, 09:37 AM
He will make a few million. We need to sign him and Votto to long term deals ala Tampa bay and Longoria. Get them young, get them cheap.

Vottomatic
06-29-2010, 09:41 AM
Exactly why the Reds will let Arroyo and Harang walk and they won't take on any huge additional payroll by way of trade.

Red in Atl
06-29-2010, 10:55 AM
I'd keep Bronson regardless. He's a good guy to have on the team. You have to have a good mix of veterans and youngsters. He's a mentor, doesn't cause problems, has the playoff experience, plays the game right, isn't a troublemaker...what more could you want from a pitcher. Plus he's got that rubber arm.

Harang's time is done, but I think Bronson is worth the money for one more year.

bgwilly31
06-29-2010, 01:12 PM
He will make a few million. We need to sign him and Votto to long term deals ala Tampa bay and Longoria. Get them young, get them cheap.

Why would we sign bruce long term at this point.

He has all the makings of being a total bust. I would wait until he actually shows us outside of his 4 week debut stretch that he can be a star.

GIDP
06-29-2010, 01:16 PM
Why would we sign bruce long term at this point.

He has all the makings of being a total bust. I would wait until he actually shows us outside of his 4 week debut stretch that he can be a star.

Jay Bruce has all the makings of a total bust?

I would love for you to extrapolate on this argument.

DirtyBaker
06-29-2010, 01:16 PM
I'd keep Bronson regardless. He's a good guy to have on the team. You have to have a good mix of veterans and youngsters. He's a mentor, doesn't cause problems, has the playoff experience, plays the game right, isn't a troublemaker...what more could you want from a pitcher. Plus he's got that rubber arm.

Harang's time is done, but I think Bronson is worth the money for one more year.

For the right price, yeah. I feel like we can get similar results from other guys, but his rubber arm is a great thing to have. It's just with our depth it's not like we're desperate for an expensive veteran. I see our lineup next year w/o Arroyo and Harang as pretty good.

Leake, Cueto, Volquez, Chapman, Bailey/Wood/LeCure/Maloney - If Arroyo stays, I'm sure some of these guys will have to be delt, which could be lucrative in other ways.

But anyway, I'm down with rolling the dice on Jay Bruce. He's really improved from 2009 in terms of batting average and I don't think his OPS will be under .800 anytime soon. Not to mention he's got a canon and plays RF pretty well despite lacking great speed.

Mr Larkin
06-29-2010, 01:26 PM
I would never say Bruce is a potential bust - I really like the guy. But, when watching him fan at pitches not close to the strike zone in pressure situations with guys on base I wonder if Heisey would not do just as well.
I want Bruce to be the player we all think he can be, but he has not proven he can do that yet. I really, really want him to, I think he is the kind of guy that I want my son to say - "I want to play like Jay Bruce." I root for him from the bottom of my heart, but I'm not sure he is above the norm for a long time in ML yet.

Caveman Techie
06-29-2010, 03:15 PM
We're now calling a guy who is 23 years old has an .825 OPS and lights out defense a "total bust"? :confused: