PDA

View Full Version : What was the most recent movie I've watched? (Part 2)

Pages : [1] 2 3 4 5

paintmered
06-29-2010, 07:56 AM
The previous thread reached 1,000 posts.

Vottomatic
06-29-2010, 10:55 AM
Watched a movie called "Not Forgotten" with Simon Baker in it last night. Baker and his mexican wife live in Texas near the Mexico border. His daughter is kidnapped and taken to Mexico. He doesn't know why she was kidnapped. As the movie goes on, you find out he's not who you think he is and has a shady past. The kidnapping has to do with the Mexican Mob and some payback toward him.

It was okay. Not great. Not horrible. Kept my attention mostly.

Ghosts of 1990
06-29-2010, 03:02 PM
"Without Limits" about Steve Prefontaine

sonny
06-29-2010, 03:38 PM
"Without Limits" about Steve Prefontaine

I saw that a couple of weeks ago. The pace is glacial, but the film overall is pretty good.

RedsManRick
06-29-2010, 09:19 PM
Toy Story 3. Very good, but surprisingly sad. It played much more like Wall-E or Up than the prior Toy Story movies. There were a few scenes that might even be a bit intense for the youngest part of the crowd.

Caveat Emperor
07-01-2010, 11:28 AM
Saw "The Last Airbender" last night.

In a word: Trainwreck.

This movie is "Dune" for a new generation. It's a giant mess that, in what I can only assume is a compulsion to be absolutely faithful to it's source material, ends up glossing over any interesting ideas, leaving whole aspects of the "universe" it exists in unexplained, and creates characters that wold generously be described as shallow and 2D. The acting ranges from hammy to awful, the plot follows no discernable logic, and there is nothing by way of character development.

I'd stay far away.

Ghosts of 1990
07-01-2010, 11:41 AM
*61 last night.... since the Reds had me pumped about baseball

savafan
07-01-2010, 12:24 PM

This movie is "Dune" for a new generation. It's a giant mess that, in what I can only assume is a compulsion to be absolutely faithful to it's source material, ends up glossing over any interesting ideas, leaving whole aspects of the "universe" it exists in unexplained, and creates characters that wold generously be described as shallow and 2D. The acting ranges from hammy to awful, the plot follows no discernable logic, and there is nothing by way of character development.

I'd stay far away.

What was the unexpected twist?

Roy Tucker
07-01-2010, 12:43 PM
We watched "When In Rome" with Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel on PPV as part of my dues in the marriage continuation club. A takeoff on "Three Coins in the Fountain" and "Roman Holiday" but not nearly in he same class.

Just blah. not even any gratuitous nudity or any other redeeming factor. fluff and not very good fluff at that.

Caveat Emperor
07-01-2010, 12:54 PM
We watched "When In Rome" with Kristen Bell and Josh Duhamel on PPV as part of my dues in the marriage continuation club. A takeoff on "Three Coins in the Fountain" and "Roman Holiday" but not nearly in he same class.

Just blah. not even any gratuitous nudity or any other redeeming factor. fluff and not very good fluff at that.

I'll give it this: there were enough "Hey, it's that guy/girl" moments that I at least managed to not hate the movie.

I mean, you gotta give a chick-flick credit when it casts Wu-Tang Clan rapper Ghostface Killah in ANY role.

Roy Tucker
07-01-2010, 01:07 PM
I'll give it this: there were enough "Hey, it's that guy/girl" moments that I at least managed to not hate the movie.

I mean, you gotta give a chick-flick credit when it casts Wu-Tang Clan rapper Ghostface Killah in ANY role.

Yeah, I'll give it that.

It took me about 1/2 the movie to recognize Jon Heder (who was my favorite character). I did say "hey, jeez, look, its whatshisface from "Miami Vice". And I figured Danny Devito and Anjelica Huston must have needed a paycheck.

It did have a few moments but its overall stupidity turned me off. They could have made this a pretty good escapist rom-com but, alas, no.

dougdirt
07-01-2010, 04:11 PM
FTR - I enjoyed When in Rome. I enjoy a lot of movies though.

Watched Knight and Day. Not bad. But not something I would tell someone they should make time to go see either.

Caveat Emperor
07-01-2010, 05:01 PM
What was the unexpected twist?

It turns out that M. Night's career has been dead since just after finishing "The Sixth Sense."

ochre
07-01-2010, 09:37 PM
It turns out that M. Night's career has been dead since just after finishing "The Sixth Sense."
cracked.com argues that it's been even longer than that:
http://www.cracked.com/article_18585_the-7-most-wtf-origins-iconic-pop-culture-franchises.html (http://www.cracked.com/article_18585_the-7-most-wtf-origins-iconic-pop-culture-franchises.html)

What Inspired It:
The truth is quite a bit stupider than that. This Academy Award-nominated classic was inspired by something off of the same children's television network that introduced the world to Rugrats, Clarissa Explains It All and Doug. Yup, Nickelodeon.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/phpimages/article/7/9/0/25790.jpg?v=1
Technically, SNICK.
It turns out that Shyamalan was one hell of an unofficial member of the Midnight Society in the 90s, since his magnum opus was inspired by an episode of Are You Afraid of the Dark? (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Sixth_Sense#Production).
The episode in particular, "The Tale of the Dream Girl" (http://video.google.com/videoplay?docid=-275195598695532559), is basically the same story as The Sixth Sense except it was written for the same audience that followed Salute Your Shorts.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/phpimages/article/7/9/1/25791.jpg?v=1

Just like The Sixth Sense, "The Tale of the Dream Girl" tells the story of a kid who is able to eerily and unwillingly communicate with the dead. In this case, his name is Johnny Angelli, and he's portrayed by the same pretty-boy who played Scott Hope on Buffy. At first it appears that Johnny is being stalked by a girl who is clearly way out of his league, but not only does Johnny think that she's dead, there's something strange going on with Johnny. You see, he has this ring which he can't get off his finger, nobody seems to recognize him at work and his mother is so pissed that you would think he wrecked the car, or something.
Only Johnny's sister believes in him. In fact, she's the only person who has really been speaking to him. Oh, and there's this dramatic scene with the ring, and a totally unexpected--because it was original--twist where... well...

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/phpimages/article/7/9/2/25792.jpg?v=1
Five years later, Shyamalan gets nominated for an Academy Award for Best "Original" Screenplay.
Hell, considering the work he's done since then, it might pay for him to get some more Are You Afraid of the Dark episodes on DVD (it had a nice run of seven seasons) and see what else he can dig up.

http://cdn-www.cracked.com/phpimages/article/7/9/3/25793.jpg?v=1
There's enough cinematic gold in this season alone to keep Shyamalan busy for decades.
Also, it's worth noting that "The Tale of the Dream Girl" aired on March 26 1994, which means Shyamalan had to be at least 23-years old during that life-changing Saturday night he was at home watching SNICK

Razor Shines
07-02-2010, 12:41 AM

And we all know what the twist was in that movie. That dude in the hair piece, like the whole time, that's Bruce Willis the whole movie.

NJReds
07-02-2010, 08:57 AM

I'd stay far away.

My daughter loves the Nick cartoon version, and wants to see this. I've read the reviews and I'm dreading it. I'll avoid the 3D, but I've been doing that when possible for most films. It's not necessary.

I've seen it compared to The Last Compass and Eragon. Two movies that were supposed to be part of the series, destroyed the source material and did so poorly that plans for sequels were cancelled.

Caveat Emperor
07-02-2010, 11:31 AM
I've seen it compared to The Last Compass and Eragon. Two movies that were supposed to be part of the series, destroyed the source material and did so poorly that plans for sequels were cancelled.

The Golden Compass is a pretty good comp -- but this movie makes that look like "Citizen Kane" by comparison. At least Golden Compass had some decent actors involved in the project and script that wasn't completely cringe-worthy (I don't think there's any scene of dialogue in "Airbender" that lasts longer than 90 seconds -- which is really good, because whenever people are talking it sounds like they're just announcing plot points).

I've heard the source material for "Airbender" is really good, though. I was too old by about 7 or so years to have caught this when it was first on, but virtually everyone I know (mostly younger friends and friends of my younger sister) loves it and was really excited for this movie. I was planning on giving the show a watch at some point on Netflix-instant just to see what it's all about, but I'm significantly less enthused about that prospect than I was before the movie.

I guess the bottom line is that tween-fiction is tough to do right. For every "Harry Potter" that does things right, there's about a dozen that bomb.

NJReds
07-02-2010, 11:37 AM
I've heard the source material for "Airbender" is really good, though. I was too old by about 7 or so years to have caught this when it was first on, but virtually everyone I know (mostly younger friends and friends of my younger sister) loves it and was really excited for this movie. I was planning on giving the show a watch at some point on Netflix-instant just to see what it's all about, but I'm significantly less enthused about that prospect than I was before the movie.

My daughter was too young for Avatar on Nick when it first came out. She just got into it recently, and I've watched it with her. I have to say that it's a creative, well-thought out story with interesting characters. I was surprised, and I actually enjoy watching it with her. I was surprised to learn that it was created by an Italian-American, because the style and substance is very Asian ... mix of Chinese, Japanese and other influences throughout the story.

We watched Golden Compass, too. Wow, that was bad. But I had not read the source material and had no idea what was going on. That movie was all over the place and may be the worst movie I've ever sat through.

Harry Potter and Narnia seemed to get the right balance between source material and movie.

savafan
07-02-2010, 01:57 PM
I couldn't sit through The Golden Compass, so you guys are better men than I...

Caveat Emperor
07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
I couldn't sit through The Golden Compass, so you guys are better men than I...

Amazing book, but there was no way it was ever going to translate well to a movie. And I find the idea of it being a "series" to be almost laughable, considering one of the main plot points of the final two books is a character raising an army to invade heaven and destroy the creator (God). No studio would touch that with a 15' pole as a kid's movie.

NJReds
07-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Okay ... saw Last Airbender with my daughter tonight. Perhaps going in with extremely low expectations saved it. Having watched the cartoon with her definitely helped. I can see why critics who weren't familiar with the story hated the movie. However, this was not as awful as Golden Compass.

I think the problem taking this to the big screen was that there was 10 hours of cartoon material that they squeezed into a 100 minute movie. It was meant for young kids (roughly 8-12) so they couldn't give it the "Lord of the Rings" treatment and make it a 3 hour movie. Hardcore cartoon fans will hate all that was left out. Those who didn't watch it will be confused. It cuts from scene to scene so fast that actors don't get to act much because their reading one line at a time.

My daughter liked it. I didn't hate it, but I understand why many critics did and many people that go see it will dislike it. I'd watch it 100 times in a row, though, before watching Golden Compass one more time.

Yachtzee
07-04-2010, 12:13 PM
Just saw "The Last Airbender" yesterday. My first thought was, (inside joke alert) "Oh man, the Ember Island Players? They butchered 'Love Amongst the Dragons' every year." ;)

I thought the special effects were good, but the acting and writing were pretty bad. I've watched the every episode original show in repeats with my boys about 5 times. The whole family loves the Nicktoons version so we were excited about this. The boys loved it, but they're 7 and almost 4. My wife liked it better than me. Our biggest complaint, why did M. Night Shyamylan change the the pronunciation of everyone's names. You know the biggest audience for the movie is going to be fans of the show and you've seen the show yourself, so why do something as off-putting as making everyone's name sound odd by pronouncing them funny. Second, the casting of the main character was bad on an "Anakin in 'The Phantom Menace'" level. If you're going to cast a kid, at least get one with some acting chops. This poor kid was a martial arts champ, not an actor. He was in way over his head. Third, the characters spend too much time explaining the mythology of the movie's world and not enough time interacting with each other on a personal level. They could have explained things better with a prologue at the beginning of the film. I was also sad that Suki ended up on the cutting room floor.

I think the worst thing about this movie is that they made such a hash of it that there probably won't be a Book 2 or Book 3, which means we'll never get to see some of the more interesting characters from the show, Toph and Azula.

MWM
07-04-2010, 06:33 PM
Took my 7 year old son who is in karate to see the new Karate Kid movie. I really enjoyed it.... much better than the first (except for Elizabeth Shue not being in it). Jackie Chan did a good job, but you just can't replace Mr. Myagi, about the only thing I like about the original.

Will M
07-04-2010, 06:38 PM
Amazing book, but there was no way it was ever going to translate well to a movie. And I find the idea of it being a "series" to be almost laughable, considering one of the main plot points of the final two books is a character raising an army to invade heaven and destroy the creator (God). No studio would touch that with a 15' pole as a kid's movie.

I liked the Golden Compass movie. i have read that Pullman is pretty militant atheist but i would never have gleamed this from the movie. i have heard that the 2nd & 3rd books are pretty extreme as you have alluded to above.

For some reason I thought Avatar was anime. maybe its the character designs. this sounds like a flick to see for free on TV sometime.

maybe i am getting old but it sure seems like American movies are 97% garbage these days. between actors who can't act, bad cgi, all action no plot and no characters, remakes, sequels,etc its hard to find a movie where I say "wow. that was really good". this seems especially noticable in my two favorite genres: horror & fantasy.

1990REDS
07-07-2010, 04:59 PM
I saw From Paris with Love with John Travolta. I enjoyed it and its definatly a guy movie with lots of action and a little humor mixed in. Kinda reminded me of the movies that Arnold Schwarzenegger would star in back in the day. Completely aimed at guys and not even caring if any women watch it.

kbrake
07-07-2010, 06:00 PM
Saw Toy Story in 3D and thought it was great.

Just watched 'Green Zone' and while I could understand how it is not for everyone I really enjoyed it.

aubashbrother
07-08-2010, 12:22 AM
I Love You Beth Cooper and The new Twighlight

Caveat Emperor
07-08-2010, 01:18 AM
Saw "Toy Story 3" tonight -- Wow. Great flick.

savafan
07-08-2010, 02:43 PM
"Suicide Girls Must Die"

It could have been so much more

Chip R
07-08-2010, 03:33 PM
Saw The Last Airbender last night. Most of the cast was pretty meh except for the general. The special effects were good and they are setting up a sequel or two. One wonders if Shamylan will be directing them though.

SunDeck
07-08-2010, 04:03 PM
Toy Story 3. I'm beginning to get annoyed with the fact that Pixar likes to make little kids cry.

Caveat Emperor
07-08-2010, 04:06 PM
Toy Story 3. I'm beginning to get annoyed with the fact that Pixar likes to make little kids cry.

Toy Story 3 wasn't a kids movie, IMO -- it was a movie for people who WERE kids when the first TS came out.

SunDeck
07-08-2010, 04:36 PM
Toy Story 3 wasn't a kids movie, IMO -- it was a movie for people who WERE kids when the first TS came out.

Excellent point. But it still made my little girl cry.
BTW, my son said, "Hey, that pig was a truck in Cars!"

aubashbrother
07-09-2010, 06:45 PM
Just watched Remember Me. I have to say I really enjoyed it. The whole story was a little played out . Boy meets girl , girl finds something out , girl leaves , girl comes back but man what a twist of an ending , the ending made the movie imo

SunDeck
07-09-2010, 07:41 PM
Despicable Me. In the hands of Pixar this might have been a good one, but unfortunately it was not. Forgettable, I say.
Kids liked it, which I guess is the main thing. It's just too bad their brains are small for the experience.

savafan
07-09-2010, 11:45 PM
Despicable Me. In the hands of Pixar this might have been a good one, but unfortunately it was not.

But wouldn't it have made the kids cry then? ;)

WMR
07-10-2010, 12:36 PM
The Horseman... Indie Australian flick... sort of like an Aussie Edge of Darkness... even more hardcore, however...

I Sell The Dead... pretty funny movie about grave robbing and selling corpses and zombies starring dominic monaghan. recommended.

SunDeck
07-10-2010, 01:07 PM
But wouldn't it have made the kids cry then? ;)

Touché

BringDownMugabe
07-10-2010, 06:13 PM
The Machinist. It was a pretty good movie I suppose, maybe a little too abstract for my liking, but I really enjoyed Christian Bale's performance. Seeing him weigh 120 lbs. was a little eye popping and, admittedly, the reason I watched the movie in the first place. I just can't believe he's dropping down to that weight again to play a crackhead ex-boxer in the The Boxer.

GAC
07-10-2010, 07:23 PM
Watched Percy Jackson and the Olympians today with the kids. Quite enjoyable.

Yachtzee
07-11-2010, 12:27 AM
Saw The Last Airbender last night. Most of the cast was pretty meh except for the general. The special effects were good and they are setting up a sequel or two. One wonders if Shamylan will be directing them though.

Hopefully he won't be writing the scripts for them either. If he wants the future installments to succeed, I think he needs to just act as producer and hand off the directing and writing to someone else. I think he needs to get the original creators more involved to give more depth to the characters. I also think they would have a better idea of what parts of Book 2 and Book 3 to focus on and which parts can be omitted or glossed over. In this film, Shamylan seemed to put more emphasis on things that really had little importance to the overall story and omitted characters and events that had much greater bearing on events in Books 2 and 3.

Razor Shines
07-11-2010, 12:40 AM
The Machinist. It was a pretty good movie I suppose, maybe a little too abstract for my liking, but I really enjoyed Christian Bale's performance. Seeing him weigh 120 lbs. was a little eye popping and, admittedly, the reason I watched the movie in the first place. I just can't believe he's dropping down to that weight again to play a crackhead ex-boxer in the The Boxer.

I think it's called The Fighter. http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/07/14/first-look-christian-bale-in-the-fighter/

mole44
07-11-2010, 01:05 AM
Saw Predators last night, and The Crazies on blu-ray today. Predators was down right bad, had to fight off falling asleep through most of it. The Crazies on the other hand was really good, better than expected. I'm a big Timothy Olyphant fan, so that probably helped.

BringDownMugabe
07-11-2010, 01:28 AM
I think it's called The Fighter. http://www.slashfilm.com/2009/07/14/first-look-christian-bale-in-the-fighter/

That's what it's called. The story looks pretty good, except I'm not a big fan of Darren Aronofsky. The Boxer is actually a Daniel Day-Lewis movie made in the mid 90's. Though I haven't seen that movie in a while, it was pretty good movie if my memory serves me well.

Big Klu
07-11-2010, 02:21 AM
Just watched The Searchers. One of my favorite John Wayne movies ever.

Redsfan320
07-11-2010, 03:54 PM
^^^
Yeah, John Wayne movies are always fun.

Also, just watched a Clint Eastwood film last night on AMC, "Heartbreak Ridge"- was very good, although I haven't watched the last hour yet. It was DVRed so the Reds game could be watched.

zjr1717
07-12-2010, 12:36 AM
Speaking of westerns, I just watched Tombstone last night and I'd forgotten how good that movie was. Awesome cast, one of the few great modern westerns.

savafan
07-12-2010, 02:46 AM
Speaking of westerns, I just watched Tombstone last night and I'd forgotten how good that movie was. Awesome cast, one of the few great modern westerns.

That's a timeless classic.

zjr1717
07-12-2010, 07:59 AM
That's a timeless classic.

Tell me about it, its got 3 of my favorite actors in it (Russell, Elliot, Biehn) and Val Kilmer has a career making performance as Doc. Oh yeah, and its just...awesome. Though maybe not as awesome as Wyatt Earp. :rolleyes:

"Oh. Johnny, I apologize; I forgot you were there. You may go now."

ROFL

redsmetz
07-12-2010, 12:40 PM
I'm going to mention this on the Netflix Instant thread too, but my wife and I watched The Trouble With Harry, a 1955 Hitchcock film that is perhaps his quarkiest. It stars John Forsythe and a 21 year old Shirley MacLaine in her debut. It also has Jerry Mathers (Leave it to Beaver) two years before his TV shows started. A small Vermont town deals with the body of a stranger who has died suddenly. Full of great absurdity and subtle humor. Lots of fun.

GIDP
07-12-2010, 12:56 PM
Big Fan

I cant describe it in depth because you just kinda gotta see it, but I'll just say I liked that movie a lot. Not a lot of rewatch value, but good none the less.

Jack Burton
07-12-2010, 01:01 PM
Watched "The Last Temptation of Christ". Excellent.

Willem Dafoe delivers one of the great performances in the history of cinema.

gonelong
07-12-2010, 01:26 PM
Caught "The Incredibles" again last night, with my 6.5 yr old son. This one gets a bit weaker as time goes on, but still enjoyable.

GL

Redsfaithful
07-12-2010, 02:50 PM
Watched "Felon" on Netflix instant, and it was decent. Not spectacular but I love prison movies and I'm a Val Kilmer fan so I was satisfied. Kind of a ridiculous premise but if you can get past that I'd recommend it.

WMR
07-12-2010, 05:35 PM
Wild Things 4.

Painfully bad. Some nice..... 'boobage'.... but keep your remote handy for fast-forwarding between the 'good parts.'

zjr1717
07-13-2010, 02:51 AM
Wild Things 4.

Painfully bad. Some nice..... 'boobage'.... but keep your remote handy for fast-forwarding between the 'good parts.'

I haven't seen 4, but 2 was pretty bad, though it had some stellar "boobage" as well.

Johnny Footstool
07-13-2010, 10:10 AM
Tell me about it, its got 3 of my favorite actors in it (Russell, Elliot, Biehn) and Val Kilmer has a career making performance as Doc. Oh yeah, and its just...awesome. Though maybe not as awesome as Wyatt Earp. :rolleyes:

"Oh. Johnny, I apologize; I forgot you were there. You may go now."

ROFL

Johnny was played by Billy Bob Thornton. He got to deliver some classic lines as well:

"You nerve-wrackin' sons of ***. I swear, it's like playin' cards with my brother's kids."

zjr1717
07-14-2010, 01:53 AM
Johnny was played by Billy Bob Thornton. He got to deliver some classic lines as well:

"You nerve-wrackin' sons of ***. I swear, it's like playin' cards with my brother's kids."

LOL

That movie has several guys in really minor roles who went on to become fairly well known later.

Chip R
07-15-2010, 12:03 PM
Big Fan

I cant describe it in depth because you just kinda gotta see it, but I'll just say I liked that movie a lot. Not a lot of rewatch value, but good none the less.

Watched that last night. Well done but very disturbing.

GIDP
07-15-2010, 12:26 PM
Watched that last night. Well done but very disturbing.

That's very true.

RichRed
07-15-2010, 01:33 PM
Wild Things 4 is bad??? I am stunned, stunned I tell you.

Tom Servo
07-16-2010, 03:29 AM
Inception.

Go see it. Right now.

yab1112
07-16-2010, 09:42 PM
Just watched Glory for the first time. The movie as a whole was all right but that last scene was incredible.

reds1869
07-16-2010, 10:09 PM
Inception.

Go see it. Right now.

I'm glad to hear your endorsement. It is the first thing playing in mainstream theaters that I've even remotely been interested in this summer. I'll definitely go see it now.

kaldaniels
07-16-2010, 11:59 PM
I'm glad to hear your endorsement. It is the first thing playing in mainstream theaters that I've even remotely been interested in this summer. I'll definitely go see it now.

I was in the same boat as you and I was not disappointed.

OldRightHander
07-17-2010, 12:13 AM
Inception.

Go see it. Right now.

I just saw it. I won't comment on the ending yet, at least not until more people have seen it.

Caveat Emperor
07-17-2010, 02:38 AM
Just saw Inception.

Echo what's been said -- go see it immediately at the next available showing you can find.

BringDownMugabe
07-17-2010, 10:51 PM
I just saw Inception and agree with what everybody else said. As far as the movie itself goes...

SPOILER:

So what does everybody think happened in the end? I personally think Cobb's totem kept spinning and he remained in limbo. The kicker had to be when he returned home and saw his kids. The scene was identical to his memory which was showed earlier in the movie. But the obvious difference was his kids showed their faces this time around. Some would argue that's a reason as to why he got out -- but I don't see it that way.

He had the opportunity to see his children's faces earlier but chose not to and looked away. I'd say that was due, at least partially, to the guilt he felt because of what he did to his wife. By the end of the movie, he had dealt with that guilt and could move on, which is why he finally saw their faces at the end of the movie. The movie is obviously open to interpretation, at least the ending is, but that's my theory.

redsmetz
07-18-2010, 12:48 PM
My wife & I also saw Inception. Wow. The trailer doesn't do it any justice as it can't explain what you're seeing in them. Very good movie, good characters, wild story, incredible score that bolsters the movie all the more. I agree with those who say, Go See It.

Reds Fanatic
07-18-2010, 03:20 PM
Just saw Inception. I agreee with everyone you have to see this movie. It is by far the best movie I have seen all year.

dougdirt
07-18-2010, 04:09 PM
Watched Grown Ups last night. Not nearly as funny as I expected. More of an 'adult' movie than a comedy.

Razor Shines
07-18-2010, 09:52 PM
Wow. I would have waited a while to see Inception had it not been for this board. I'm glad you guys recommended it so strongly. It was amazing.

kbrake
07-18-2010, 10:19 PM
Just got back from Inception....absolutely incredible.

yab1112
07-18-2010, 10:21 PM
Just got back from Inception....absolutely incredible.

Ditto.

MWM
07-19-2010, 10:48 AM
Saw Inception last night... excellent movie. I don't usually make comments like this, but I couldn't get over Marion Cotillard. She is one stunning woman. Wow!

bucksfan2
07-19-2010, 11:01 AM
Saw Hot Tub Time Machine OnDemand last night. It was ok.

redsbuckeye
07-19-2010, 12:30 PM
Inception was absolutely incredible. Been a long long time since I've seen a movie that good.

George Anderson
07-19-2010, 01:00 PM
I saw the new Karate Kid movie.

Not nearly as good as the first but it did show some nice scenery around China.

OldRightHander
07-19-2010, 01:17 PM
Saw Inception last night... excellent movie. I don't usually make comments like this, but I couldn't get over Marion Cotillard. She is one stunning woman. Wow!

Yep, some of the "visuals" were pretty good...and the special effects weren't bad either.

Roy Tucker
07-19-2010, 01:44 PM
Watched "Eclipse - New Moon" with my 17 yr. daughter. Bella sure does hang out with strange people.

My daughter's b/f is jealous of Jacob. Teen love :rolleyes:

BuckeyeRed27
07-19-2010, 02:47 PM
Also saw Inception and also thought it was great. (Did anyone else get a trailer for "The Town"? Wow that movie looks incredible.)

I've also seen Toy Story 3 and Despicable Me recently and would highly recommend both of those.

Redsfaithful
07-20-2010, 05:23 PM
Inception was definitely great, and I agree that "The Town" looks like it'll be amazing. Great trailer at least.

reds1869
07-20-2010, 09:54 PM
I saw Inception today and was totally wowed. After the build up from my friends I was prepared to be let down, but was instead thrilled. If you haven't seen it yet, do so immediately.

Roy Tucker
07-21-2010, 10:54 AM
Watched "Captain Newman, MD" on AMC the other night.

Love Gregory Peck and he anchors the movie so well. Eddie Arnold as Colonel Bliss is an interesting role and a very young Robert Duvall is excellent as well. Tony Curtis is good comic relief.

Watched it with my daughter and she loved Angie Dickinson.

GAC
07-25-2010, 04:52 AM
We watched an Aussie movie that came out a few years ago called Black Water. Supposedly based on true events, it's about a trio that take a river tour of an isolated mangrove in the Outback, but things go horribly wrong when a ferocious crocodile capsizes their boat, eats their guide, and plays cat n mouse with them as they take refuge in a tree and try to find a way to get back to the capsized boat. I think it was pretty suspenseful and well worth the watch.

cinredsfan2000
07-25-2010, 04:49 PM
Bored nothing really on t.v. today so went through the dvd's and picked out and watched
The Warriors
Underworld wow kate Beckinsale HOT!!:eek::D
ALMOST FAMOUS

savafan
07-25-2010, 10:28 PM
Watched "Sugar". It was a decent and realistic baseball film. Loved Jose Rijo's supporting role as Alvarez, but I didn't love it the same way I do movies like Major League and Eight Men Out.

Tony Cloninger
07-26-2010, 12:23 AM
I saw Pirate Radio on demand...... at least get the music right with the year it is. It is 1966...not 1967 or 1968. Even the clothes some of the DJ's were wearing....looked more like Haight-Ashbury than Carnaby Street.
Hire me to do props and fact checking.....I could do better than that.

Hot Tub Time Machine.....like watching a grade D version of Back to the Future and Porky's. It looked amateurish.

She's Out of My league. Hot girl....terrible acting.....tried too hard to be like "Knocked Up" or just cute and clever.

Need to see the movie everyone is talking about here.

bucksfan2
07-26-2010, 08:53 AM
Watched "The Hurt Locker" last night. Wow good flick.

Jerry
07-26-2010, 08:56 AM
I just watched Mystery Science Theater 3000 : Santa Claus Conquers the Martians. Did you know that's Pia Zadora playing the little Martian girl?

Tony Cloninger
07-26-2010, 10:14 AM
How about "Manos" The Hands of Fate"?...talk about a classic.

TheBigLebowski
07-26-2010, 10:40 AM
I have heard nothing but good things about Inception. I need to get out and see it.

Bought Hot Tub Time Machine thinking it would be a lot better than it was...I was disappointed. Those type of movies usually make me cackle.

Johnny Footstool
07-26-2010, 10:52 AM
Personally, I really liked Hot Tub Time Machine. I liked it more than The Hangover.

Jerry
07-26-2010, 12:39 PM
How about "Manos" The Hands of Fate"?...talk about a classic.

Watching that one next.

Jack Burton
07-26-2010, 01:20 PM
Inception. Pretty good but slightly overrated due to all the plot holes. Cool effects.

RichRed
07-26-2010, 01:41 PM
I saw Pirate Radio on demand...... at least get the music right with the year it is. It is 1966...not 1967 or 1968. Even the clothes some of the DJ's were wearing....looked more like Haight-Ashbury than Carnaby Street.
Hire me to do props and fact checking.....I could do better than that.

Such great potential for a movie, such disappointing execution.

This is one where I think I'd be much more interested in a documentary of the "Pirate Radio" era than a fictionalized account.

RichRed
07-26-2010, 02:07 PM
Saw "Let the Right One In" based on the recommendations in the other movie thread. I liked it well enough as I was watching it, but I like it even more now that I've had time to think about it.

GIDP
07-27-2010, 01:24 AM
Toy Story 3

It was pretty good.

NJReds
07-27-2010, 01:08 PM
The Departed
Invictus

Caught both on a flight back from Europe, and I enjoyed both films.

Ghosts of 1990
07-27-2010, 01:11 PM
Saw Inception last night. If you like special effects and action (Matrix) with some eerie twists, go see it. The idea in it is amazing

Homer Bailey
07-28-2010, 12:21 PM
Watched Crazy Heart. Insanely good movie.

Jeff Bridges is an incredible singer, and deserved every award he got for it. Colin Farrell was a surprisingly good singer as well. I highly recommend this movie for all, and especially country fans!

GAC
07-28-2010, 06:32 PM
Just finished watching the new Clash of the Titans. Ho-hum.

marcshoe
07-28-2010, 09:48 PM
INCEPTION SPOILER:

I always have out-there interpretations of movies, but I think none of it was "real". Not only did Cobb remain in limbo, but a changed limbo because he no longer needed or desired to see his wife, but everything that happened was in one level of dream or another. I noticed quick cutting that started scenes in the middle of the action even in the "real world" scenes, and naming a character who was to create a maze for Cobb to get through Ariadne was also telling, I thought--something the subconscious would do.

I thought the movie was great, and much was left open to interpretation. But then I liked the Lost finale, too.

savafan
07-30-2010, 04:10 AM
Inception

I'm going to go against the grain and say overrated. The movie was good, but there were plot holes all over the place, and it really was paper thin. The fact that this is now the #3 rated movie of all time on IMDB right now just shows what's wrong with modern cinema. It's being hailed as a "truly original film", but I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one who saw 1984's "Dreamscape" starring Dennis Quaid. There were some cool effects, and the acting was definitely top notch, but as for the story...I'm sorry, I just don't see it as the greatest film of a generation like so many others.

KOBasinger
07-30-2010, 02:01 PM
I saw "Dinner For Schmucks" at midnight last night.

It actually was a really good movie. I would recommend it.

yab1112
07-30-2010, 06:50 PM
I saw "Dinner For Schmucks" at midnight last night.

It actually was a really good movie. I would recommend it.

I just got back from seeing it. I thought it was great. Story was nothing special but everyone in it is really funny. As a big Flight of the Conchords fan, I especially enjoyed hearing Jemaine Clement say ''penguin'' a couple times.

I also saw Cyrus recently and I wish I hadn't.

Eric_the_Red
07-30-2010, 11:08 PM
Another recommendation for Dinner for Schmucks. Very very funny movie, with a surprising amount of heart.

aubashbrother
07-31-2010, 08:47 PM
got caught up on some old time greats :cool:

Nightmare on Elm street 2 , 3 , 4 , 5

im a big fan of 4

NJReds
07-31-2010, 09:23 PM
Star Trek (the one released last year)
Watchmen

redsmetz
08-03-2010, 04:45 PM
We watched Michael Clayton last night. Such good tremendous performances in it. Tilda Swinton won the Oscar, George Clooney & Tom Wilkinson were both nominated for Oscars. Wilkinson's work is just incredible.

Chip R
08-03-2010, 08:23 PM
We watched Michael Clayton last night. Such good tremendous performances in it. Tilda Swinton won the Oscar, George Clooney & Tom Wilkinson were both nominated for Oscars. Wilkinson's work is just incredible.

I saw that too last week. Nice.

bucksfan2
08-04-2010, 09:11 AM
Inception

I'm going to go against the grain and say overrated. The movie was good, but there were plot holes all over the place, and it really was paper thin. The fact that this is now the #3 rated movie of all time on IMDB right now just shows what's wrong with modern cinema. It's being hailed as a "truly original film", but I'm pretty sure I wasn't the only one who saw 1984's "Dreamscape" starring Dennis Quaid. There were some cool effects, and the acting was definitely top notch, but as for the story...I'm sorry, I just don't see it as the greatest film of a generation like so many others.

Went out and saw the movie last night. Couple of thoughts:

Entertaining movie.

I am still trying to digest the plot line. To me it was all over the place and it took me about half the movie to really understand what was going on.

The more and more I watch Leo's movies the more and more I like him as an actor. Quality job by him again. Ellen Page can act to.

Overall all I liken it similar to the Matrix. Interesting concept, entertaining movie, but hardly as good as people are making it out to be.

Eric_the_Red
08-04-2010, 01:21 PM
The Book of Eli. I really enjoyed what it said about faith, even in dark times. Good flick.

Tom Servo
08-04-2010, 09:11 PM
Fantastic Mr. Fox

I've always been a Wes Anderson fan and he topped himself with this film. I loved it.

RichRed
08-05-2010, 09:50 AM
Fantastic Mr. Fox

I've always been a Wes Anderson fan and he topped himself with this film. I loved it.

I really enjoyed that one too.

Caveat Emperor
08-07-2010, 09:05 AM
"The Other Guys"

Haven't laughed this hard at a Will Ferrell movie in a long while. Seriously funny flick -- I just wish they would've gone all out and taken the "R" rating like the Hangover and Old School did. It definitely felt like they were holding back in places to get the PG-13.

MWM
08-07-2010, 11:56 PM
Went and saw Salt tonight. Awful!!!! It made 24 seem realistic. And 10 minutes into the movie I knew who the REAL bad guy was going to be and I turned out to be right.

Eric_the_Red
08-08-2010, 07:11 AM
Saw Inception yesterday. I liked how the ending let's the audience determine for themselves what happened. The movie is a test if you're an optimist/pessimist.

Raisor
08-14-2010, 10:59 AM
Saw Scott Pilgrim vs the World last night. Loved every second of it.

Caveat Emperor
08-14-2010, 12:46 PM

The previews for that look fun, but I don't know if I can do another "Michael Cera's Nerdy/Awkward Character Somehow Manages to Land Hot Girl" movie.

Raisor
08-14-2010, 02:26 PM
The previews for that look fun, but I don't know if I can do another "Michael Cera's Nerdy/Awkward Character Somehow Manages to Land Hot Girl" movie.

chicks dig guys in bands.

Spitball
08-14-2010, 06:29 PM

My twenty year old son saw it yesterday and loved it. He has been a big fan of the graphic novel series and has been looking forward to the movie all summer. He even wore his Sex Bob-Bomb t-shirt. I'm going to see it with him tomorrow.

We saw Dinner for Schmucks last week. After the first few minutes, I thought it was going to be a silly movie, but it turned out to be very funny.

KoryMac5
08-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Saw the Other Guys today with the wife. It was kinda Meh for me. I would wait for the DVD. Saw Dinner for Schmucks last week and while no big laughs it did have us smiling throughout.

foxfire123
08-14-2010, 10:52 PM
At the theatre, Despicable Me. thought the Minions were too cute and tho a bit campy, the story was good. Oh HBO tonight, Transformers 2. What a convoluted, confusing mess. Waste of 2 1/2 hours.....

redsmetz
08-15-2010, 08:37 AM
My wife and I took in the final outdoor movie at Eden Park, "Wait Until Dark," the great 1967 classic with Alan Arkin, Audrey Hepburn, Richard Crenna, Jack Warden and Efron Zimbalist Jr. Arkin is just terrific in this suspense film, really just demented and it heightens the tension. Great crowd scream towards the end.

Funny Reds connection: being at Eden Park just up from the ballpark, we heard the fireworks at the end of the game and knew the Reds won. Twenty minutes later though, the other fireworks started (I leaned over to my wife and so, oh oh, it's Friday night fireworks). For the next 20 minutes, the blasts were reverberating off the hillsides as the movie ran. We could still hear, so it ultimately wasn't an issue.

Great movie though and fun to watch with an audience.

Chip R
08-15-2010, 11:42 AM
My wife and I took in the final outdoor movie at Eden Park, "Wait Until Dark," the great 1967 classic with Alan Arkin, Audrey Hepburn, Richard Crenna, Jack Warden and Efron Zimbalist Jr. Arkin is just terrific in this suspense film, really just demented and it heightens the tension. Great crowd scream towards the end.

We were thinking about going to that on Friday but went to Oktoberfest in Seven Mile instead. Plus we were going to the Art Museum last night anyway.

Spitball
08-15-2010, 09:01 PM
My twenty year old son saw it yesterday and loved it. He has been a big fan of the graphic novel series and has been looking forward to the movie all summer. He even wore his Sex Bob-Bomb t-shirt. I'm going to see it with him tomorrow.

I really liked the movie. There is a lot of action and humor. I'm not sure Cera was the best choice for the Scott Pilgrim role, but the other characters were very good.

VR
08-15-2010, 09:23 PM
Guys night....saw the Expendables Saturday night. Expecting a pretty significant let down, but it was a very good action flick. Not too over the top, lots of schticky one-liners, but I'll see it again w/ my oldest sons.

(spoiler alert....)

didn't like the scene w/ Ahnold....too over the top.

Eric_the_Red
08-16-2010, 07:26 AM
Went and saw "eat Pray Love" with my wife for our anniversary. If you look up "taking one for the team" in the dictionary, this is the example given.

It was a truly awful movie, worse than I anticipated. The only redeeming quality was the soundtrack.

kbrake
08-16-2010, 07:45 AM
Had guys night last night for The Expendables. It was worse than I was expecting. The action scenes were pretty good but I didn't care for the one liners and it had times where it was just too slow. Not awful but not something I'd watch again.

ochre
08-16-2010, 12:01 PM
Went and saw "eat Pray Love" with my wife for our anniversary. If you look up "taking one for the team" in the dictionary, this is the example given.

It was a truly awful movie, worse than I anticipated. The only redeeming quality was the soundtrack.
I'm waiting for the gritty reboot: eat prey; love.

Johnny Footstool
08-16-2010, 04:55 PM
"The Book of Eli" - It looks exactly like "Fallout 3" - washed-out colors, broken highway overpasses doubling as scenic vistas, roadside marauders, pieced-together shantytowns populated by shambling survivors. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really impactful. I never really cared what happened to any of the characters. Two out of five stars.

Jack Burton
08-16-2010, 06:28 PM
"The Book of Eli" - It looks exactly like "Fallout 3" - washed-out colors, broken highway overpasses doubling as scenic vistas, roadside marauders, pieced-together shantytowns populated by shambling survivors. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't really impactful. I never really cared what happened to any of the characters. Two out of five stars.
Agreed, saw this a couple weeks ago and I thought it was below average to terrible. Denzel was great as always but couldn't save this one. Mila Kunis is just a terrible actress and that was on display here. "So hey dude can you take me with you because I think it'd be cool and hey you're reading a book, cool man, I can't read but let me stay here and chill. I'll show you where we get water and stuff too, cool beans?"

oneupper
08-16-2010, 08:58 PM
At the theatre, Despicable Me. thought the Minions were too cute and tho a bit campy, the story was good. Oh HBO tonight, Transformers 2. What a convoluted, confusing mess. Waste of 2 1/2 hours.....

Transformers 2 redefined the geography of the Middle East. Drove me bananas.

paintmered
08-16-2010, 11:30 PM
Transformers 2 redefined the geography of the Middle East. Drove me bananas.

Also, don't forget that Davis-Mothan is immediately next door to Dulles.

OnBaseMachine
08-17-2010, 12:16 AM
While it's not out yet, I'm super excited about Scream 4. It's supposed to come out on April 15th, 2011. I'm a huge fan of the Scream series and am looking forward Scream 4, and eventually Scream 5 and 6.

Ghosts of 1990
08-17-2010, 01:27 PM
The fourth kind... freaky

RedsBaron
08-19-2010, 06:49 AM
Had guys night last night for The Expendables. It was worse than I was expecting. The action scenes were pretty good but I didn't care for the one liners and it had times where it was just too slow. Not awful but not something I'd watch again.

My wife, two younger sons and I saw The Expendables last weekend. My 17 year old son really liked it. I wasn't that impressed by it. It was nice to see some older stars have another outing but I was kind of bored by it.

dougdirt
08-20-2010, 02:16 PM
Salt.

Not entirely what I expected, but a good movie IMO.

Johnny Footstool
08-20-2010, 03:25 PM
"Kick Ass" - It started really strong, like it was going to be a deconstruction of the whole idea of super heroes, like "Watchmen," but with a sense of humor. Unfortunately, it discards those ideas and turns into a shoot-'em-up, albeit a fun one. Nicholas Cage and Chloe Moretz were outstanding, and I still liked the movie, but I wished it could have done things differently. Three out of five stars.

dougdirt
08-20-2010, 04:13 PM
"Kick Ass" - It started really strong, like it was going to be a deconstruction of the whole idea of super heroes, like "Watchmen," but with a sense of humor. Unfortunately, it discards those ideas and turns into a shoot-'em-up, albeit a fun one. Nicholas Cage and Chloe Moretz were outstanding, and I still liked the movie, but I wished it could have done things differently. Three out of five stars.

Loved the movie. Can't wait for the sequel.

New York Red
08-21-2010, 11:25 AM
Me and the G/F watched 'Chloe' last night. A lot of sexual content, so not recommended for family viewing, but a pretty good movie with a strong plot twist towards the end.

thorn
08-21-2010, 01:51 PM
Watching Ong Bak 2, the beginning on Netflix Streaming, absolutely some of the best fighting in a movie I have ever seen, really good movie to boot.

GAC
08-22-2010, 06:41 PM
Lazy Sunday. Watched three movies off of Netflix.....

Coogan's Bluff (not one of Clint's best)
Cobb w/ Tommy Lee Jones (love this flic)
Purgatory (a TNT western that came out in the mid-90s). I liked it.

Chip R
08-22-2010, 06:55 PM
Saw The Great Buck Howard the other night. John Malkovich was wonderful. It was a nice movie with a happy ending.

savafan
08-22-2010, 08:37 PM
The fourth kind... freaky

I liked it, and it was freaky. The leap to extraterrestrials was kinda made without much basis in fact, but rather a hypothesis by the doctor. Kinda made me wonder if what they were dealing with wasn't in fact something demonic or perhaps even angelic.

savafan
08-22-2010, 08:37 PM
While it's not out yet, I'm super excited about Scream 4. It's supposed to come out on April 15th, 2011. I'm a huge fan of the Scream series and am looking forward Scream 4, and eventually Scream 5 and 6.

Me too. Great cast put together for this one.

Johnny Footstool
08-22-2010, 08:59 PM
"Shakes the Clown" - I remember seeing this back in college and loving it. I watched it again this weekend, and it has lost a lot of its luster. There are still some really funny moments, but the plot drags for long stretches of time. Tom Kenny's performance as the unfunny, cokehead clown Binky is amazing. But the laughs were far between. Two out of five stars.

BUTLER REDSFAN
08-22-2010, 11:04 PM
Saw Airplane for free on Timewarner free movies on demand few nights back. I have seen it a million times and still laugh at it...what great casting...Peter Graves,Stack,Bridges etc....

Johnny Footstool
08-23-2010, 12:00 AM
Saw Airplane for free on Timewarner free movies on demand few nights back. I have seen it a million times and still laugh at it...what great casting...Peter Graves,Stack,Bridges etc....

"Stewardess? I speak jive."

savafan
08-23-2010, 12:03 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0857376/

Gabriel (2007)

I bought this on DVD a couple years ago, put it in the DVD player immediately and then turned it off after 10 minutes because it seemed corny. Had nothing better to do today, so I gave it a second chance.

There is not a single recognizable face or name in this film, which was made with a JVC camcorder for $150,000 Australian dollars. T...he acting...is surprisingly strong. The plot really makes you think. The action, while a little over the top at times with the effects and fight choreography, is pretty much what you expect from the genre. So, in essence, this is a pretty entertaining little piece of supernatural action film making on a low budget for an independent Australian director who had never before made a movie. Surprisingly, I liked it, and I think it has good multiple viewing potential. I'm not sorry now that I picked it up a couple years ago.

Roy Tucker
08-23-2010, 09:03 AM
Watched "Hot Tub Time Machine" on PPV. I thought it was pretty funny. Not "The Hangover"-level funny, but along those lines. Gross humor with a smidge of cleverness and some tongue-in-cheek.

The problem was, it had to set a world's record for f-bombs. Nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, just everything, and unrelenting. Drove my wife out of the room after about 20 minutes. Got the hairy eyeball and this means a romantic comedy is in my future to pay her back.

Aedan05
08-27-2010, 04:13 AM
zombielan . . . watched it last night , nice movie . . . !!!

gonelong
08-27-2010, 10:26 AM
Watched Kick-Ass last night. Decent, but cheesy.

New York Red
08-27-2010, 11:48 AM
Watched "The Bounty Hunter" last night with my G/F. In fact, she pulled me out of the Cards/Nats game thread so we could watch it. :rolleyes:

It looks like the game turned out to be better than the movie. I'm giving the game a '10' - because STL lost, of course. The movie, only a 6.5 or so - 7 at best. You have to have strong chemistry between the two lead characters in a good romantic comedy, and I just didn't get that feel in this movie. If not for the eye candy (Jennifer Aniston), I'd probably rate it even lower.

TeamSelig
08-27-2010, 02:14 PM
My wife made me watch The Bounty Hunter the other day too. It was OK. I would agree, about a 7 out of 10. It wasn't terrible but nothing great.

The last movie I watched was the Hot Tub Time Machine. Pretty hilarious IMO.

Roy Tucker
08-27-2010, 04:34 PM
We watched The Bounty Hunter a couple weeks ago. A 7 out of 10 is pretty generous. I'd say more like a 5.

I liked watching Jennifer Aniston and Gerald Butler could have been a good match for her. I think they had some chemistry.

But the story was dumb and dialogue flat and it was all too long and pointless. It had a couple LOL moments and Aniston is eye candy but that was about it. Paying $3.99 for PPV was about all I'd spend on it. I'd be hacked if I spent good money on it at the theater.

Johnny Footstool
08-28-2010, 01:06 AM
"Piranha 3D" - Go to a bar with your friends before and after (and during, if you're lucky enough to be at a "Fork and Screen" theater). It's stupid, intentionally gratuitous, and very gory. It goes out of it's way to show silly 3-D shots and ridiculous kills. Unfortunately, it's missing that one element that can transform a decent film into a classic - quotability. Almost none of the dialogue was memorable, which let me down considerably. Still, three out of five stars.

Dom Heffner
08-28-2010, 10:11 AM
"Piranha 3D" - Go to a bar with your friends before and after (and during, if you're lucky enough to be at a "Fork and Screen" theater). It's stupid, intentionally gratuitous, and very gory. It goes out of it's way to show silly 3-D shots and ridiculous kills. Unfortunately, it's missing that one element that can transform a decent film into a classic - quotability. Almost none of the dialogue was memorable, which let me down considerably. Still, three out of five stars.

Ah, The Dave Matthews effect: You have to be wasted to enjoy it.

I'm sold.

MWM
08-29-2010, 09:22 AM
Saw The Other Guys last night. Laughed really hard a few times, but much of the movie was painful. Pulling off something that campy is difficult and I don't think they did it very well. They couldn't decide if they wanted to be Beverly Hills Cop or Naked Gun.

kaldaniels
08-30-2010, 12:04 AM
Watched "Hot Tub Time Machine" on PPV. I thought it was pretty funny. Not "The Hangover"-level funny, but along those lines. Gross humor with a smidge of cleverness and some tongue-in-cheek.

The problem was, it had to set a world's record for f-bombs. Nouns, verbs, adjectives, adverbs, just everything, and unrelenting. Drove my wife out of the room after about 20 minutes. Got the hairy eyeball and this means a romantic comedy is in my future to pay her back.

Rob Courdry stole this movie. Keep the kids at home though.

MilotheMayor
08-30-2010, 12:32 AM
"In the Loop"

A British comedy/political satire released last year, might be the smartest film I've seen in forever. Youtube the film for copious amounts of quotable material. (Un)fortunately most of the lines are not, eh...., proper at this location.

Roy Tucker
08-30-2010, 11:57 AM
28 Weeks Later.

Ultra-violent, very interesting premise, way disturbing, and scared the pee out of me (and I don't get scared easily). Good movie if you like that kind of thing. Not for the sqeamish or faint of heart.

RFS62
08-31-2010, 07:47 AM
Watched "Death at a Funeral" yesterday, the original one, not the remake.

Hilarious.

foxfire123
08-31-2010, 07:07 PM
I liked watching Jennifer Aniston and Gerald Butler could have been a good match for her. I think they had some chemistry.

To be honest, I could watch Gerard Butler every night of the week. He was quite something in Phantom Of The Opera.

RedsBaron
09-05-2010, 07:53 AM
We watched "Invictus" last night. It is a movie that I thought I should like, given the inspirational story of a racially torn country coming together over a rugby team, and I tried to like it....but I was bored silly. The storyline was predictable, there was little dramatic conflict, and for the most part there was no character development. For all I know Clint Eastwood chose to make an historically accurate film and that's the reason that there were no dramatic developments in the movie, but it was an effort for me to get through the film. Nelson Mandela unquestionably is admirable, but Morgan Freeman plays him as an absolute saint, which after a while gets boring to watch, and Matt Damon's rugby player also is largely a one-note role.
The real story behind "Invictus" may be great, but a great film it is not IMO.

RedsBaron
09-06-2010, 08:19 AM
We watched "Date Night" last night. We enjoyed it. A few scenes made me laugh out loud. Steve Carell, Tina Fey and Mark Wahlberg were all good.

reds1869
09-06-2010, 03:05 PM
We watched "Invictus" last night. It is a movie that I thought I should like, given the inspirational story of a racially torn country coming together over a rugby team, and I tried to like it....but I was bored silly. The storyline was predictable, there was little dramatic conflict, and for the most part there was no character development. For all I know Clint Eastwood chose to make an historically accurate film and that's the reason that there were no dramatic developments in the movie, but it was an effort for me to get through the film. Nelson Mandela unquestionably is admirable, but Morgan Freeman plays him as an absolute saint, which after a while gets boring to watch, and Matt Damon's rugby player also is largely a one-note role.
The real story behind "Invictus" may be great, but a great film it is not IMO.

Read John Carlin's book Playing The Enemy. It tells the same story much better than any movie ever will.

Roy Tucker
09-07-2010, 09:46 AM
We watched "Date Night" last night. We enjoyed it. A few scenes made me laugh out loud. Steve Carell, Tina Fey and Mark Wahlberg were all good.

Yep. We watched that on Sat. night. I was pleasantly surprised and liked it as well.

Not a spectacular movie, but a few light touches of suburban married angst and Carell and Fey make a good couple getting themselves in a real jam and hijinks ensued. It was entertaining. I'd give it a solid B.

pedro
09-07-2010, 01:20 PM
Yep. We watched that on Sat. night. I was pleasantly surprised and liked it as well.

Not a spectacular movie, but a few light touches of suburban married angst and Carell and Fey make a good couple getting themselves in a real jam and hijinks ensued. It was entertaining. I'd give it a solid B.

I enjoyed it as well.

I think they could be a good couple for recurring movies.

New York Red
09-07-2010, 03:59 PM
Watched 'The Backup Plan' last night with the G/F. Not bad. I'm not a big fan of J-Lo, but she was ok in this movie. I gave it a '6½' ... girlfriend gave it a '7½'. She always rates the chick flicks higher, so I'd say my rating is more accurate.

And I added a point because she's standing next to me right now. ;)

justincredible
09-07-2010, 09:33 PM
Gran Torino.

I'm a little behind on my movie watching but I thought it was great. Clint Eastwood is still a BA.

Before that:
The Invention of Lying (loved it)
The Final Destination (hilariously terrible)
Drag Me to Hell (thought it was a great horror movie)
I Love You, Man (funny movie)

savafan
09-07-2010, 11:39 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1331307/

"Dread"

Gritty and brutal... Good horror/suspense drama film, at times not pleasant to watch. Extremely well written (based on a Clive Barker short story) and pretty solid performances throughout. The best part of the Twilight movies, Jackson Rathbone (Jasper) plays the lead character, and it's nice seeing him in a role with some meat to it. ...Seriously, this guy gives a strong performance, believable and at times tragic, and I think he'll put out more great performances in the future. When ranking this among recent American horror movies, it's definitely near the top with films like Midnight Meat Train, The Last Exorcism and Drag Me To Hell. You have to be in the mood for something dreary and dirty, as in grimy, but it's definitely worth a watch.

marcshoe
09-08-2010, 12:09 AM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1331307/

"Dread"

Gritty and brutal... Good horror/suspense drama film, at times not pleasant to watch. Extremely well written (based on a Clive Barker short story) and pretty solid performances throughout. The best part of the Twilight movies, Jackson Rathbone (Jasper) plays the lead character, and it's nice seeing him in a role with some meat to it. ...Seriously, this guy gives a strong performance, believable and at times tragic, and I think he'll put out more great performances in the future. When ranking this among recent American horror movies, it's definitely near the top with films like Midnight Meat Train, The Last Exorcism and Drag Me To Hell. You have to be in the mood for something dreary and dirty, as in grimy, but it's definitely worth a watch.

I'm already getting in the mood for Halloween, and this looks like one to put on my list.

btw, as to Rathbone, I actually liked "The Last Airbender" and will admit it.

mdccclxix
09-11-2010, 01:05 PM
Stay away from Valentine's Day. Of course, I'm sure you all knew that.

Watched the movie "Once" again after seeing them live recently. It's a good movie with a great soundtrack.

I'll concur on Date Night, some pretty good moments despite an impossible plot.

savafan
09-12-2010, 03:12 PM
A Serbian Film

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1273235/

I've seen Cannibal Holocaust, I Spit On Your Grave, Salo, Irreversible, Nekromantik, etc... this may just be the most sick and disturbing movie I've ever seen, and the bad part about it is that it's really well done and beautifully shot, but it just sits with you long after it's over and makes you terribly uncomfortable.

Sweetstop
09-13-2010, 07:25 PM
"the last station", an excellent film about the last days of tolstoy's life. good performances all around from helen mirren, christopher plummer, paul giamatti, and james mcavoy.

michael caine's "harry brown", which must be a re-make of chas. bronson's death wish...too vengefully violent.

liked the outtakes at the end of "date night".

dougdirt
09-13-2010, 09:09 PM
Inception.

Eh. I guess I expected more.

Johnny Footstool
09-13-2010, 10:27 PM
"Battlestar Galactica - The Miniseries - not technically a movie, but I'm going to include it. I watched it when it initially aired, and I loved it then. Now, after seeing how the series panned out, the miniseries is even more brilliant. The writers knew exactly what story they wanted to tell, and they executed it almost perfectly. Five out of five stars.

gonelong
09-14-2010, 09:40 AM
Resident Evil - Meh.
Lonesome Dove - Decent

GL

Sweetstop
09-14-2010, 12:55 PM
the girl with the dragon tattoo. noomi rapace makes for a killer lisbeth salander. michael nyqvist excellent also.

Captain13
09-15-2010, 10:03 AM
I know I'm about 5 years late, but I just watched Cadillac Records. Decent movie with great music. How can one go wrong with characters like Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Willie Dixon, Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf and Etta James?

sonny
09-15-2010, 11:31 AM
I know I'm about 5 years late, but I just watched Cadillac Records. Decent movie with great music. How can one go wrong with characters like Muddy Waters, Little Walter, Willie Dixon, Chuck Berry, Howlin' Wolf and Etta James?

Good, good movie. Although Beyonce was a little prettier that the real Etta James.

The dude who played Howlin' Wolf, however was amazing.

Will M
09-20-2010, 02:33 AM
Terror of the Living Dead (aka The Hanging Woman) 1973

Starring Paul Naschy. He was an actor, writer & director of B grade horror films of the late 60s to early 80s. He had a bit of a revival in the few years prior to his death as fanboys like myself (and Savafan I suspect) dicovered his films on DVD.

In this one Paul is a gravedigger who , well, lets just say he isn't quite right in the head (after all its a family board). The movie also has nubile babes, a seance, a black magician, zombies, secret passages to a graveyard & all kinds of weird stuff. Its a lot of fun. Recommended for people who like old school B grade horror films.

MWM
09-25-2010, 10:46 AM
Saw The Town last night, thought it was really good. Believe it or not, Ben Aflleck was very good in this role. And he directed this one too and did an excellent job. It had a very similar feel to Gone Baby Gone, which he also directed. Maybe he's found a niche directing the very "real" type of movies.

Also, Jeremy Renner was awesome. That guy is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors out there.

Raisor
09-25-2010, 08:41 PM
Also, Jeremy Renner was awesome. That guy is quickly becoming one of my favorite actors out there.

just saw a first season episode of Angel that Renner did. Good stuff.

BoydsOfSummer
09-26-2010, 01:04 AM
Jennifer's Body. The only reason I kept watching this dud was hopes of seeing Megan Fox's body.

Redsfaithful
09-27-2010, 07:10 PM
Saw Easy A over the weekend (wanted something more light hearted than The Town). Cute movie, I still haven't seen Emma Stone in anything I didn't like.

Raisor
09-27-2010, 08:06 PM
Saw Easy A over the weekend (wanted something more light hearted than The Town). Cute movie, I still haven't seen Emma Stone in anything I didn't like.

I might be seeing this tomorrow

Johnny Footstool
09-28-2010, 12:03 AM

She was good in "The House Bunny." So was Anna Farris.

Will M
09-28-2010, 03:47 AM
The Devil's Sword (1984)

This is an Indonesian fantasy movie about an evil Queen who turns into a crocodile, her over the top martial artist henchman, an evil sword & a woman who will stop at nothing to get her husband back (he is kidnapped by the Queen). Its a very low budget film yet has a ton of charm. The bad English dub only adds to the charm. Recommened to folks who enjoy weird world cinema.

GAC
09-28-2010, 04:49 AM
Just watched Gandhi w/ Ben Kingsley over the weekend. Simply one of my all-time favorite movies, and not just because of the superb acting, but for it's historical and biographical perspective.

foxfire123
09-29-2010, 11:09 AM
Legends of the Guardians: Owls of Ga'Hool. Animation was *Amazing*. Story was a little bit rushed and incomplete, but still worth seeing, and definitely in 3-D despite having to wear the dorky glasses. Not really for very young kids tho, due to the rather violent fight scenes.

dougdirt
09-29-2010, 07:06 PM
Legends of the Guardians: Owls of Ga'Hool. Animation was *Amazing*. Story was a little bit rushed and incomplete, but still worth seeing, and definitely in 3-D despite having to wear the dorky glasses. Not really for very young kids tho, due to the rather violent fight scenes.

I hate this movie and haven't even seen it. One of my best friends is a teacher and she got a job at a new school. I went out a week before school started to help her set up her room and I was organizing books and this series of books was in there. I mocked out loud "seriously, who the heck would be interested in this junk?". A week later we were at dinner and the commercials came on for the movie. In my face.

savafan
09-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Recently watched all of the TV show Firefly and the movie Serenity.

That show was amazing, can't believe it didn't last longer.

Johnny Footstool
09-30-2010, 01:07 AM

Yep. Joss Whedon's finest effort -- even better than "Toy Story." I saw "Serenity" prior to watching the series, and I still thought it was one of the best sci-fi movies I had ever seen.

Caveat Emperor
09-30-2010, 08:22 AM

I ran through the episodes a few years back -- it was alright, but I'm not a huge Whedon fan, so it wasn't exactly my cup of tea. Having said that, the show was doomed the minute it was picked up by a network. On a cable outlet, it would've run for years.

TeamSelig
09-30-2010, 04:23 PM
Watched 'Date Night' last night... it was pretty good but so unrealistic that it came a little over the top... some funny one liners though

Razor Shines
09-30-2010, 04:33 PM
Finally got out to see The Town yesterday. Really liked it. The action scenes were very similar to Heat. Affleck was really good, Renner and Hamm were great, IMO.

BCubb2003
09-30-2010, 05:35 PM
Has anyone seen the trailer for "4192"?

Chip R
09-30-2010, 11:06 PM

They had a half hour show on one of the local channels about a month ago.

Raisor
10-02-2010, 10:49 PM
Saw "Easy A" tonight. Lots of fun. Even had a "message". And a musical number for no particular reason, kinda like a John Hughes flick.

Which was the point.

aldotcs
10-02-2010, 11:11 PM
In the theater, "Other Guys". Hilarious! Otherwise, "My First Mister," which was very good.

Redsfaithful
10-03-2010, 01:40 AM
Saw The Social Network tonight and was really impressed. I could definitely see it being one of the few movies from 2010 that's still watched and talked about decades from now.

Eric_the_Red
10-03-2010, 08:40 AM
Took the wife to a screening of "Life As We Know It". I was pleasantly surprised. Nothing ground-breaking here, but a nice mix of humor and sadness.I usually don't like Katherine Heigl, but she was good in this one.

savafan
10-03-2010, 05:06 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0985694/

Machete. This was a fun romp. Of course, I enjoyed both Death Proof and Planet Terror also, but this was a fun throwback.

bucksfan2
10-04-2010, 03:59 PM
Saw The Social Network tonight and was really impressed. I could definitely see it being one of the few movies from 2010 that's still watched and talked about decades from now.

Would that be to laugh at the cutting edge technology of the mid 2000's?

I do want to see that, don't know if I want to plop down $20 for that movie. Although my wife is very interested in social media right now.

marcshoe
10-04-2010, 04:35 PM

What's that about? Locumbus?

BuckeyeRed27
10-04-2010, 04:55 PM
I liked "The Social Network", but I definately didn't love it. It is incredibly well acted all around, but there is something missing from the story. It is basically a courtroom drama told in flashback and its a nice story, but I left the theatre feeling unsatisfied for some reason.

SunDeck
10-04-2010, 08:07 PM
Destry Rides Again, the movie Mel Brooks parodied in Blazing Saddles, complete with Marlene Dietrich in a catfight.

RedsBaron
10-05-2010, 09:06 AM
I watched part of "Cleopatra," the 1963 movie that almost bankrupted a studio, last night. I sometimes like older movies, but watching that Elizabeth Taylor-Richard Burton-Rex Harrison epic made me understand why it bombed. Man was it slow.

RedsBaron
10-05-2010, 09:10 AM

I absolutely love Firefly and Serenity. I saw Serenity first, and liked it, but I didn't fully appreciate Serenity until after I later bought the Firefly DVD set. It is easily my favorite sci-fi series ever. I have re-watched both the series and Serenity several times. Great writing, great characters, great acting--just, well, great.

10-05-2010, 10:44 AM
I watched Persona by Ingmar Bergman last night. I enjoyed it. Honestly can't say I understand it, though.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0060827/

Roy Tucker
10-06-2010, 02:39 PM
I watched "The Man in the Gray Flannel Suit" on AMC last night.

Overly long and a little clunky, but interesting to watch from the standpoint of life in the US in the mid-'50's. Men home from WWII and still trying to make adjustments to normal life without PTSD care. Interesting look at corporate ethics and boardroom manner. And a pretty frank look at a married couple of the time.

I always like Gregory Peck and Jennifer Jones was decent as the wife. Fredric March is excellent as a flawed business tycoon as well as Lee J. Cobb as small town Connecticut judge.

Juxtaposed against a 50-years-later "Mad Men" makes for interesting comparisons.

EDIT: forgot to add that AMC's star of the month is Fredric March and that's why the movie was on.

http://www.tcm.com/thismonth/article/?cid=339814

Reds Fanatic
10-07-2010, 09:15 AM
I watched The Social Network a few nights ago and really enjoyed it. One of my favorite movies of the year.

dougdirt
10-07-2010, 12:14 PM
The 'Burbs. Love that movie. I try to watch it at least once a year.

savafan
10-07-2010, 10:30 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0074207/

The Bingo Long Traveling All-Stars and Motor Kings.

Not sure how I've never seen this movie before, except that it's been very hard to find. A great buddy movie, and a good baseball film. Billy Dee sure had the charisma to be a leading man. It almost felt like I was watching James Earl Jones play a young Terrance Mann in this movie. Richard Pryor also gave the movie some good comedy relief. If you haven't seen this, I highly recommend it.

KittyDuran
10-17-2010, 08:41 PM

KittyDuran
10-17-2010, 08:50 PM
Saw "Red" this weekend (actually saw it twice). Yesterday at AMC in Newport with crappy audio and today at Cinema de Lux in Springdale with a larger and livelier crowd.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars but I'm biased because I wanted my Karl Urban fix. :evil:

Good date movie. Starts out slow establishing Willis' character but gets going fast in a hurry. John Malkovich's character makes the movie fun and you can't go wrong with Helen Mirren firing big guns in an evening gown and combat boots. The plot was meh but the cast looked like it was having a great time. Would love to see some deleted scenes and outtakes on blu-ray if possible.

Sweetstop
10-18-2010, 09:31 AM
babies...doc. about first breath to first step of 4 babies around the world. thumb up.

a prophet...french language oscar nominee from last year about young man's prison education. excellent, if a bit long.

three days of the condor, one of my favorite redford/pollack collaborations, that i've watched a dozen times or more.

kaldaniels
10-18-2010, 11:59 AM
Saw "Red" this weekend (actually saw it twice). Yesterday at AMC in Newport with crappy audio and today at Cinema de Lux in Springdale with a larger and livelier crowd.

I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars but I'm biased because I wanted my Karl Urban fix. :evil:

Good date movie. Starts out slow establishing Willis' character but gets going fast in a hurry. John Malkovich's character makes the movie fun and you can't go wrong with Helen Mirren firing big guns in an evening gown and combat boots. The plot was meh but the cast looked like it was having a great time. Would love to see some deleted scenes and outtakes on blu-ray if possible.

Off tangent, but is anyone else annoyed when the movie "Reds" pops up in search results when doing a search on our team?

OnBaseMachine
10-21-2010, 06:49 PM
I'm going to see Jackass 3D this weekend. Can't wait...

cinreds21
10-22-2010, 02:06 AM
Just saw Paranormal Activity 2. Wow. It scared me like crazy. I wasn't expecting much, it being a sequel. I loved the first one but this one might have scared me more.

RedsBaron
10-22-2010, 01:30 PM
We watched "Killers" a couple of nights ago. Mediocre at best, unbelievable and not funny enough at worst. I assume ladies may like Ashton Kutcher. I did think that Katherine Heigl had some charm, and I always like Tom Selleck (although I think he should let his hair and mustache show some gray at age 65). I'd probably give it a 4 or 5 on the 1-10 scale.

OnBaseMachine
10-24-2010, 12:12 AM
I'm going to see Jackass 3D this weekend. Can't wait...

Jackass 3D was amazing. I'll probably go see it again, I liked it that much.

Redsfaithful
10-25-2010, 01:58 AM
babies...doc. about first breath to first step of 4 babies around the world. thumb up.

Watched this last night, and it was great. The Mongolian baby had my wife and I cracking up.

BUTLER REDSFAN
10-25-2010, 09:15 PM
Rented Iron Man 2 over the weekend....not as good as the first but still decent....and I couldnt make out anything Mickey Rourke said the whole movie.

RedsBaron
10-26-2010, 07:09 AM
We watched Russell Crowe's "Robin Hood" last night. Great cast, good director, medicore film. I'd give it a 5 or 6 on the 1-10 scale.

Razor Shines
10-26-2010, 12:06 PM
We watched Russell Crowe's "Robin Hood" last night. Great cast, good director, medicore film. I'd give it a 5 or 6 on the 1-10 scale.

Yeah mediocre seems about right, just like A Good Year, American Gangster and Body of Lies. Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe have teamed up on 5 films now and only the first one was a really good movie. Not sure why they keep thinking it's gonna fall in place again.

dougdirt
10-26-2010, 03:07 PM
Yeah mediocre seems about right, just like A Good Year, American Gangster and Body of Lies. Ridley Scott and Russell Crowe have teamed up on 5 films now and only the first one was a really good movie. Not sure why they keep thinking it's gonna fall in place again.

American Gangster was awesome. Robin Hood was terrible.

Razor Shines
10-26-2010, 03:20 PM
American Gangster was awesome. Robin Hood was terrible.

American Gangster was certainly the best of those movies, but I didn't think it was that great. I watched it again recently and really didn't like it that much. And the funny thing is I didn't think Robin Hood was terrible. I know most people did and I watched it thinking it was going to be terrible but I thought it was average to slightly above average.

Redsfaithful
10-26-2010, 10:11 PM
American Gangster sucked, and it was mostly because of Crowe.

Raisor
10-26-2010, 11:08 PM
American Gangster sucked, and it was mostly because of Crowe.

could not disagree more.

Johnny Footstool
10-27-2010, 12:09 AM
Paranormal Activity 2 - I liked the first one, both for the movie itself and for the techniques the filmmakers used to create tension and a sense of dread. This one ratcheted up the tension with more scares and a lot more urgency. It was very well done. The only knock is that part of the explanation behind the titular activityevents hinged on a detail that I found ham-handed and unnecessary. Other than that, it was a solid, scary movie. Four out of five stars.

foxfire123
10-27-2010, 12:15 AM
25th anniversary showing of Back To The Future last night at AMC. Man, that is one movie that holds up to time! Still fun. :)

Johnny Footstool
10-27-2010, 09:57 AM
Paranormal Activity 2 - I liked the first one, both for the movie itself and for the techniques the filmmakers used to create tension and a sense of dread. This one ratcheted up the tension with more scares and a lot more urgency. It was very well done. The only knock is that part of the explanation behind the titular activity hinged on a detail that I found ham-handed and unnecessary. Other than that, it was a solid, scary movie. Four out of five stars.

Redsfaithful
10-27-2010, 03:39 PM
could not disagree more.

One of the most disappointing movies of the last 10 years. I wanted to love it, and I'm generally pretty easy to please.

RedsBaron
10-31-2010, 05:01 PM
A couple of evenings ago we watched "The Incredible Journey of Mary Bryant", which I believe was originally an Australian mini-series based upon the story of Mary Bryant, a starving girl in Cornwall in 1788 who was convicted of stealing food and sentenced to the penal colony in Botany Bay. She escaped along with her two infant children, her husband, and several other convicts. Sam Neill and Jack Davenport were about the only actors I knew. Romola Garai played the title role. Not a great film, but good, and it held my interest because it was based on a true story.

KronoRed
10-31-2010, 07:45 PM
Topkapi, watched this because it was supposed to have inspired the original tv show Mission Impossible.

Awful just awful, had plot holes the size of battleships and the main actress constantly laughing like a hyena made my ears bleed.

Redsfaithful
10-31-2010, 08:38 PM
"The Orphanage"

99.9% blood and gore free and it was one of the tensest movie watching experiences I've ever had. Really great horror movie.

Sweetstop
11-01-2010, 08:23 AM
solitary man: with michael douglas...boring movie about a not very likeable character

robin hood: due to low expectations, i liked it better than i expected (max von sydow is excellent), possibly because right before it, we watched...

iron man II: snoozer for me..i love rd,j and i did love the first one.

breakfast at tiffany's: for the umpteenth time. better than above 3 combined. especially love the 1st scene (dawn in front of tiffany's with donut and coffee) and the last scene (looking for "cat" in the rain). always brings me smiles and tears.

RedsBaron
11-01-2010, 11:55 AM
solitary man: with michael douglas...boring movie about a not very likeable character

robin hood: due to low expectations, i liked it better than i expected (max von sydow is excellent), possibly because right before it, we watched...

iron man II: snoozer for me..i love rd,j and i did love the first one.

breakfast at tiffany's: for the umpteenth time. better than above 3 combined. especially love the 1st scene (dawn in front of tiffany's with donut and coffee) and the last scene (looking for "cat" in the rain). always brings me smiles and tears.

I agree that Von Sydow was good in Robin Hood. I really have no complaints with the acting in Robin Hood; the script just didn't do much for me.
I also agree about Iron Man II. I loved the first Iron Man and was disappointed by the sequel. Great cast, poor script.

savafan
11-01-2010, 05:28 PM
http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1323045/

Frozen. You wouldn't think there's a lot you could do with a horror movie about people stuck on a ski lift, but this movie was so much better than I thought it would be. Full of dread and tension.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0117883/

Tesis. Spanish horror flick, very Hitchcock like. Slow at times, but the build up to the big reveal is worth it.

Johnny Footstool
11-01-2010, 08:38 PM
Anyone else watch the premiere of "The Walking Dead"? It was a little slow, but the ending picked up the pace (and the gore).

dougdirt
11-01-2010, 10:27 PM
Anyone else watch the premiere of "The Walking Dead"? It was a little slow, but the ending picked up the pace (and the gore).

I did. Can't wait until next Sunday. I hope that AMC picks up another season (13 episodes worth according to articles).

Johnny Footstool
11-01-2010, 10:59 PM
I did. Can't wait until next Sunday. I hope that AMC picks up another season (13 episodes worth according to articles).

I'm a huge fan of the first 50-60 or so issues of the comic. After that, the quality drops off, IMO. I hope that doesn't happen to the series. But if the show follows the main narrative of the comics even loosely, there will be at least three seasons of amazing television.

Reds Fanatic
11-02-2010, 10:25 AM

I am pretty positive with the ratings they got Sunday they will get picked up for another year. The premiere was the highest rated cable premiere of the year and one of the highest ratings an AMC series has ever had.

Redsfaithful
11-02-2010, 12:26 PM
I thought The Walking Dead was great. AMC does such a good job with the content it puts out.

MWM
11-02-2010, 06:13 PM
I saw Secreteriat last week and enjoyed it enough to go get the book. I'm reading it now and am quickly realizing the movie is pretty much fiction. I understand when telling true stories that there will be some embellishment and creative license taken, but that's not what happened in the this case. Critical components of the movie are pure fiction. The only thing that really happened the way it's portrayed in the movie is the actual racing.

This has me miffed. Why not just make a fictional movie about a racehorse rather than use the greatest one of all-time to tell a fictional story? It's kind of irritating to tell you the truth.

OnBaseMachine
11-02-2010, 07:02 PM
I can't be the only person on here who has seen Jackass 3D, can I? :)