PDA

View Full Version : Chase Utley Injured Last Night

HotCorner
06-29-2010, 10:29 AM
This could be a huge loss for the Phillies and fortunate timing for the Reds if he has to miss time.

http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20100629_Utley_injured_as_Phillies_lose_to_Reds.ht ml (http://www.philly.com/inquirer/sports/20100629_Utley_injured_as_Phillies_lose_to_Reds.ht ml)

CINCINNATI - The Phillies' clubhouse was quiet, as it typically is after any loss, Monday's 7-3 defeat to the Cincinnati Reds included. But this was a different kind of silence.

Everyone was thinking it. Shane Victorino was the first to say it.

"Hopefully, Chase is not seriously, seriously hurt," Victorino said. "For him to leave a game, he's the last guy who is going to take himself out of a game."

And that's exactly what happened in the ninth inning. Instead of Chase Utley leading off, Juan Castro pinch-hit. After the game, the team disclosed that Utley had injured his right thumb on a headfirst slide in the fourth inning as he tried unsuccessfully to stretch a single into a double.

The second baseman will have an MRI exam on his hand Tuesday in Cincinnati, according to Scott Proefrock, the Phillies' assistant general manager. That will determine the severity of the injury.

But Utley, who has played through his share of injuries, may have provided enough context as to how serious this injury could be when he did not bat in the ninth.

Redsfan320
06-29-2010, 10:43 AM
This could be a BIG break for the Reds. The Phils would have to restructure their lineup a bit too, what with Utley hitting 3rd.

Sea Ray
06-29-2010, 10:51 AM
I assume he's going to see Kremchek. I think Doc's diagnosis should include "two days rest" no matter what the MRI says...

Ghosts of 1990
06-29-2010, 11:22 AM
I assume he's going to see Kremchek. I think Doc's diagnosis should include "two days rest" no matter what the MRI says...

Haha, we can only hope.

This is similar to the injury that put Jason Heyward on the DL.

Caveat Emperor
06-29-2010, 12:08 PM
Huge loss for the Phillies. Utley is a fantastic ballplayer and, by all accounts I've ever read, a class-act. Hate to see him sidelined, even if it is against the Reds.

Degenerate39
06-29-2010, 12:10 PM
I'd like to see the Reds miss him the rest of the series and the whole next series.

cumberlandreds
06-29-2010, 01:29 PM
Utley should be put on the 15 day DL ASAP. ;)

Puffy
06-29-2010, 01:35 PM
Huge loss for the Phillies. Utley is a fantastic ballplayer and, by all accounts I've ever read, a class-act.

Mac from Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia thinks he's dreamy!

OnBaseMachine
06-29-2010, 02:00 PM
From Jerry Crasnick:

Double whammy for the Phillies: Team is expected to place both Chase Utley and Placido Polanco on the DL later Tuesday.

http://twitter.com/jcrasnick

If true, both of them will still be out of the lineup when the Reds play in Philly next week. Hopefully the Reds can take advantage and win the season series against the Phillies.

redsfaninbsg
06-29-2010, 02:02 PM
The injuries may also help Phillips and Rolen make the all star team. If I remember correctly, both Phillies were leading in vote totals at their positions.

HotCorner
06-29-2010, 02:12 PM
Utley and Polanco to the DL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5340054

fearofpopvol1
06-29-2010, 02:12 PM
You never want to root for this thing or see guys get hurt...but at the same time, you really hope the Reds can capitalize on Philly's loss.

Tom Servo
06-29-2010, 02:26 PM
Mac from Its Always Sunny in Philadelphia thinks he's dreamy!
Dear Chase, I feel like I can call you Chase because you and me are so much alike. I would love to meet you some day. It would be great to have a catch. I know I canít throw as fast as you, but I think you would be impressed with my speed. I love your hair. You run fast. Do you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about and more. I know you have not been getting my letters because I know you would write back if you did, and I hope you write back this time and we get to be good friends. I am sure our relationship would be a real home run.

Mac

Reds Fanatic
06-29-2010, 02:44 PM
Utley and Polanco to the DL.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5340054

This will also affect who starts in the All Star Game for the NL. Both Utley and Polanco are currently leading in votes. You would think Phillips and Rolen would be considered for starting spots in their place.

Chip R
06-29-2010, 02:51 PM
Dear Chase, I feel like I can call you Chase because you and me are so much alike. I would love to meet you some day. It would be great to have a catch. I know I canít throw as fast as you, but I think you would be impressed with my speed. I love your hair. You run fast. Do you have a good relationship with your father? Me neither. These are all things we can talk about and more. I know you have not been getting my letters because I know you would write back if you did, and I hope you write back this time and we get to be good friends. I am sure our relationship would be a real home run.

Mac

:lol:

RedsManRick
06-29-2010, 02:59 PM
This will also affect who starts in the All Star Game for the NL. Both Utley and Polanco are currently leading in votes. You would think Phillips and Rolen would be considered for starting spots in their place.

Hopefully Wright will pass Polanco in the vote (like he should) and Polanco won't be an all-star at all. Utley's injury, however, definitely helps Phillips' case.

fearofpopvol1
06-29-2010, 03:17 PM
Hopefully Wright will pass Polanco in the vote (like he should) and Polanco won't be an all-star at all. Utley's injury, however, definitely helps Phillips' case.

Yeah. And to be honest, Phillips deserves it this year. He's playing great ball. It'd be great if Rolen made it too.

Sea Ray
06-29-2010, 03:36 PM
When did Polanco get hurt? What's his injury?

traderumor
06-29-2010, 04:03 PM
Sorry it had to be injuries, but after watching the Dbacks throw the ball around last night, I'll take the potential break.

HeatherC1212
06-29-2010, 04:11 PM
When did Polanco get hurt? What's his injury?

I don't know when it happened but he's apparently been nursing a sore elbow for a while. It's either an elbow or somewhere else on his arm (wrist maybe?) but I'm pretty sure it's his elbow.

I'm sorry to hear that both guys got put on the DL but I feel like we suffered the motherload of all injury streaks last year so I'm glad we've managed to avoid things a little better this year. *knock on wood* :eek:

LincolnparkRed
06-29-2010, 04:18 PM
Sorry it had to be injuries, but after watching the Dbacks throw the ball around last night, I'll take the potential break.

No kidding. That throw from Laroche was one of the worst throws home you could ever watch. I didn't see where the runner was coming up the line but I wonder if he was way out on the grass trying to get hit?

Reds Fanatic
06-29-2010, 04:38 PM
I don't know when it happened but he's apparently been nursing a sore elbow for a while. It's either an elbow or somewhere else on his arm (wrist maybe?) but I'm pretty sure it's his elbow.

I'm sorry to hear that both guys got put on the DL but I feel like we suffered the motherload of all injury streaks last year so I'm glad we've managed to avoid things a little better this year. *knock on wood* :eek:

You are right it is the elbow. He has been suffering with this for awhile but it got bad enough last night that he had to take a cortisone shot and apparently that did not help much since today he is on the DL.

fearofpopvol1
07-01-2010, 02:22 PM
Out for 5-6 weeks for thumb surgery.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=5346151

Definitely sucks for the Phillies.

OesterPoster
07-01-2010, 02:39 PM
Dang, was hoping it was 15 days, so he'd be back after the AS break. The Phils have the Cubs for 4 and the Cards for 4.