PDA

View Full Version : Keith Law's Updated Top 25 Prospect Rankings

Benihana
06-29-2010, 11:34 AM
Where is Chapman?

Can anyone post the rankings (without the text because it's Insider)?

LincolnparkRed
06-29-2010, 11:48 AM
I will give you the only Red on the list.

7. Aroldis Chapman, RHP, Cincinnati. He's coming up as a reliever and won't be on the next version of this list, but I would hate to see them stick him in the pen without at least giving him a chance to start, since I see no physical reason why he can't work in the rotation. Previous ranking: No. 10

GIDP
06-29-2010, 12:33 PM
I will give you the only Red on the list.

7. Aroldis Chapman, RHP, Cincinnati. He's coming up as a reliever and won't be on the next version of this list, but I would hate to see them stick him in the pen without at least giving him a chance to start, since I see no physical reason why he can't work in the rotation. Previous ranking: No. 10

Keith Law is lazy.

OnBaseMachine
06-29-2010, 12:50 PM
Keith Law is lazy.

Yep. Jocketty has already stated that the long term plan is for Chapman to start. The only reason they're moving him to the bullpen right now is to help boost a bad bullpen.

Ghosts of 1990
06-29-2010, 03:24 PM
I'll give you 5 reasons that he can't pitch in the rotation right now Keith;

1) Leake
2) Bailey
3) Arroyo
4) Cueto
5) Volquez

and although I'm not on board with it; I know the Reds think harang is better as a starting pitcher right now. I personally believe that Aroldis can get more guys out TODAY then Harang as a starting pitcher. That is just me.

-Side note: I'd love to know who Law currently has as #1

RedsManRick
06-29-2010, 03:56 PM
This kind of lazy analysis is really frustrating. I know there's a lot to keep tabs on in the MLB, but if it's your full time job, you'd think you could know the context a little bit better.

redsinraleigh
06-29-2010, 04:33 PM

Domonic Brown

RedsManRick
06-29-2010, 04:41 PM
Domonic Brown

Who's well regarded and is hitting .320/.394/.592 with a dozen SB between AA and AAA at age 22. Not bad for a 20th Rd pick.

GIDP
06-29-2010, 05:17 PM
This kind of lazy analysis is really frustrating. I know there's a lot to keep tabs on in the MLB, but if it's your full time job, you'd think you could know the context a little bit better.

Yea I wouldnt blame him if he couldnt tell you something about Billy Hamilton, but this type of information is a simple google away. For someone who is paid to know this type of information you would think he would. Either he does and wanted to cause some emotion, or he's being simply lazy.

Scrap Irony
06-29-2010, 06:19 PM
I think he's trying to garner hits, create discussion/ dissension, and mailed in his picks.

bellhead
06-29-2010, 06:39 PM
I'll give you 5 reasons that he can't pitch in the rotation right now Keith;

1) Leake
2) Bailey
3) Arroyo
4) Cueto
5) Volquez

and although I'm not on board with it; I know the Reds think harang is better as a starting pitcher right now. I personally believe that Aroldis can get more guys out TODAY then Harang as a starting pitcher. That is just me.

I'll give you a 6th...

Travis Wood kid is flat out dominating AAA in the last month.

nemesis
06-29-2010, 06:47 PM
Domonic Brown

+1... They might not even see a drop off once Werth leaves in the offseason. Brown could be better than Heyward at the plate playing half his games in that park.

Brown is a TRUE 5 tool talent.

GIDP
06-29-2010, 07:07 PM
Not to get off topic but Heyward has had an OPS under .700 for his last 40 games.

dougdirt
06-29-2010, 08:07 PM
Dominic Brown's swing is all kinds of funky.

RedsManRick
06-29-2010, 10:00 PM
Not to get off topic but Heyward has had an OPS under .700 for his last 40 games.

Reminds me of another top prospect who set the world on fire for his first month only to regress significantly once the scouting report got around.

camisadelgolf
06-29-2010, 11:28 PM
Reminds me of another top prospect who set the world on fire for his first month only to regress significantly once the scouting report got around.
Jay Bruce?

OnBaseMachine
07-01-2010, 01:17 PM
Kevin Goldstein just listed his top 11 prospects still in the minor leagues and has Aroldis Chapman No. 9.

RedsManRick
07-01-2010, 01:20 PM
Jay Bruce?

Yup.

RedEye
07-01-2010, 08:11 PM
I thought Heyward's main problem was an injury. Seems like that might be more important in this instance than the book getting passed around... ?

dougdirt
07-01-2010, 08:22 PM
I thought Heyward's main problem was an injury. Seems like that might be more important in this instance than the book getting passed around... ?

I would buy that if he weren't striking out 30% of the time in the month of June (18% the previous two months).

REDblooded
07-01-2010, 08:39 PM
I would buy that if he weren't striking out 30% of the time in the month of June (18% the previous two months).

Could a thumb injury slow down his swing enough to make him K-prone? I mean... that's the free pass you've been giving Alonso right?

(not that I disagree with Alonso being given a bit of a pass based on the injury)

dougdirt
07-01-2010, 08:42 PM
Could a thumb injury slow down his swing enough to make him K-prone? I mean... that's the free pass you've been giving Alonso right?

(not that I disagree with Alonso being given a bit of a pass based on the injury)

I haven't said anything about Alonso's bat slowing down. I said the only thing I am worried about is his plate discipline going the wrong direction. The power will be back.

With Heyward, I expect the power to be back too. The strikeouts were very high over the last month though and I don't think that the thumb has much to do with that. But nice try.

REDblooded
07-01-2010, 08:44 PM
I haven't said anything about Alonso's bat slowing down. I said the only thing I am worried about is his plate discipline going the wrong direction. The power will be back.

With Heyward, I expect the power to be back too. The strikeouts were very high over the last month though and I don't think that the thumb has much to do with that. But nice try.

Nice try? You don't think a guy having a thumb injury could slow his swing down enough that he would strike out at a higher rate? Especially a guy that has shown a propensity to not strike out at all levels?

I'll disagree...

dougdirt
07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
Nice try? You don't think a guy having a thumb injury could slow his swing down enough that he would strike out at a higher rate? Especially a guy that has shown a propensity to not strike out at all levels?

I'll disagree...

Not really, no. I think it has a lot more to do with his pitch recognition given his contact rates on the pitches in June were worse across the board, but he saw big jumps on his swing and miss rate on both change ups and sliders. He made contact on over 90% of the fastballs he swung at in each month.

REDblooded
07-01-2010, 09:48 PM
Not really, no. I think it has a lot more to do with his pitch recognition given his contact rates on the pitches in June were worse across the board, but he saw big jumps on his swing and miss rate on both change ups and sliders. He made contact on over 90% of the fastballs he swung at in each month.

Which is pure supposition... I could just as easily suggest that due to thumb problems he had issues adjust to offspeed pitches where he was once able to make contact...

OnBaseMachine
07-02-2010, 12:36 AM
Frankie Piliere of AOL Fanhouse has Aroldis Chapman as the #3 prospect in all of baseball.

http://mlb.fanhouse.com/2010/07/01/revised-top-25-prospects-of-2010/

GIDP
07-02-2010, 01:40 PM
Heyward has a huge May. His BABIP was .342 for that month and his BA was something like 100 points higher for the rest of his year.

I think there is a strong chance that he just had a good month with a little bit of luck added in.

In April he was on pace to strike out 200 times
His May K rate would have him only striking out 63 times over a full season
His June was back over 200 times.

Not saying the guy isnt talented but there is more proof that he had a huge month that boosted his stats than the injury had much to do with it. Is he a .600 OPS bat in June with out the injury? Probably not, but is he the 1.000 OPS bat he was in May? Less likely.