PDA

View Full Version : Wood to start Thurday/DRH to Louisville

nemesis
06-29-2010, 06:36 PM
Travis Wood is not in Durham tonight. All of the players have arrived.

Per Twitter.

So there you go. Wood get's his shot. I realistically think he goes 6 and gives up 4 against the Cubs. Wrigley has it's mystique and for a 1st big league start it could be a bit nerve wracking.

OnBaseMachine
06-29-2010, 06:46 PM
Love the decision to reward Wood with the start. He deserves it. For those unfamiliar with Wood, he's a 22 year old lefty who was drafted in the second round of the 2005 draft. He's listed at 5-foot-11, 165 pounds and throws 88-91 mph, a cutter, and a plus changeup. His changeup has been described as one of the best changeups in all of the minor leagues. IIRC, he learned the cutter from Cliff Lee before last season (Wood, like Lee, is from Arkansas). He has been nothing but dominant since learning to throw a cutter because it gave him a pitch to get right handed hitters out with.

Wood was the Reds minor league pitcher of the year last season after posting a 1.77 ERA with 53 BB/135 K between Double-A and Triple-A. So far this season Wood has a 3.12 ERA and 23 BB/97 K in 98 innings with Triple-A Louisville. His last eight starts have been particularly dominant with a 1.62 ERA and 11 BB/56 K during that stretch (55.2 innings).

Congrats to Travis on getting the call.

Blitz Dorsey
06-29-2010, 07:13 PM
I like this very much. He will definitely be a better option than LeCure was who clearly does not have big league stuff.

nemesis
06-29-2010, 07:29 PM
I like this very much. He will definitely be a better option than LeCure was who clearly does not have big league stuff.

He does, but, if he is to find success in the Majors it has to be out of the bullpen. His stuff might fool you once, but second or third time through they really lock in on him... as for Wood he does have the stuff to be successful in the Majors.

RedsManRick
06-29-2010, 07:41 PM
I think Wood might as well consider this an audition. Volquez will be taking the spot in a few weeks.

membengal
06-29-2010, 07:44 PM
My only wish remains that the debut were tomorrow against the lefty heavy Phillies and spare Harang having to deal with that. And give Harang an extra day of rest and the righty heavy Cubs to aim at.

Falls City Beer
06-29-2010, 08:09 PM
They've got to find out who's going to take Leake's spot. The league's got a book on him, and they need to taper his innings soon. He looks kind of wiped.

MLB is *hard*.

11larkin11
06-29-2010, 08:15 PM
My only wish remains that the debut were tomorrow against the lefty heavy Phillies and spare Harang having to deal with that. And give Harang an extra day of rest and the righty heavy Cubs to aim at.

I think thats overplaying the L/R thing. Its the kids MLB debut. You can't make him face the defending NL champs against Roy Halladay.

fearofpopvol1
06-29-2010, 08:31 PM
They've got to find out who's going to take Leake's spot. The league's got a book on him, and they need to taper his innings soon. He looks kind of wiped.

MLB is *hard*.

I think it's a little early to assume all that. Leake has walked a lot of batters tonight. He cuts out those walks...it might be 3-4 runs he's given up instead of 6.

Falls City Beer
06-29-2010, 08:34 PM
I think it's a little early to assume all that. Leake has walked a lot of batters tonight. He cuts out those walks...it might be 3-4 runs he's given up instead of 6.

His last several starts he's been pretty clobbered. Probably a combo of tiredness/league's educating themselves. Not a criticism. Just likely. Whatever the case, they've got to figure out how to limit his innings. What better way than to bring up Wood?

Rojo
06-29-2010, 08:41 PM

MLB is *hard*.

Yeah but Wood's a kid too.

WVRed
06-29-2010, 08:42 PM
Love the decision to reward Wood with the start. He deserves it. For those unfamiliar with Wood, he's a 22 year old lefty who was drafted in the second round of the 2005 draft. He's listed at 5-foot-11, 165 pounds and throws 88-91 mph, a cutter, and a plus changeup. His changeup has been described as one of the best changeups in all of the minor leagues. IIRC, he learned the cutter from Cliff Lee before last season (Wood, like Lee, is from Arkansas). He has been nothing but dominant since learning to throw a cutter because it gave him a pitch to get right handed hitters out with.

Wood was the Reds minor league pitcher of the year last season after posting a 1.77 ERA with 53 BB/135 K between Double-A and Triple-A. So far this season Wood has a 3.12 ERA and 23 BB/97 K in 98 innings with Triple-A Louisville. His last eight starts have been particularly dominant with a 1.62 ERA and 11 BB/56 K during that stretch (55.2 innings).

Congrats to Travis on getting the call.

Since you mentioned it, how do you think Wood compares to Cliff Lee? Lee has a height advantage on Wood, but given the cutter, do you think best case scenario Wood could have that type of success?

Falls City Beer
06-29-2010, 08:43 PM
Yeah but Wood's a kid too.

Sure. But he's only being asked to pitch a 1/2 season, if that. See what he can do before the league catches up to him. Save the lumps-taking for next year. Rotate through the "depth" if you're not going to add an ace.

TRF
06-29-2010, 08:49 PM
Sure. But he's only being asked to pitch a 1/2 season, if that. See what he can do before the league catches up to him. Save the lumps-taking for next year. Rotate through the "depth" if you're not going to add an ace.

Thats a helluva idea. And I agree. Volquez takes Leake's spot, Wood takes LeCure/Bailey's spot.

fearofpopvol1
06-29-2010, 09:28 PM
His last several starts he's been pretty clobbered. Probably a combo of tiredness/league's educating themselves. Not a criticism. Just likely. Whatever the case, they've got to figure out how to limit his innings. What better way than to bring up Wood?

His last start against Oakland was quite good. He did have 2 consecutive bad starts against LA and San Fran, but that's far from conclusive, even with tonight IMO.

Falls City Beer
06-29-2010, 09:33 PM
His last start against Oakland was quite good. He did have 2 consecutive bad starts against LA and San Fran, but that's far from conclusive, even with tonight IMO.

I don't know. I'd rather not keep pushing this kid through a bunch of bad starts when he's going to need to be shut down in about 7-8 starts anyway. I wouldn't have a problem having Leake/Wood do a combined start. Though that goes against the book, so it's not likely to happen.

bucksfan2
06-30-2010, 08:18 AM

Lefty heavy? I don't know about that. Howard and Ibanez are their only two notable offensive players who are left handed. Rollins and Victorino are switch hitters and Werth is a righty. If Utley were in the lineup I wouldn't really consider that much of an advantage. IMO he is similar to Votto in that they hit both RHP and LHP well.

membengal
06-30-2010, 10:56 AM
I have not checked, but I think Rollins and Victorino are worse from the right side. I don't want to fight about it, if it were me, I would love to spare Harang potentially tossing his high fly ball pitches to the Philly power hitting lefties. I would try Wood.

bucksfan2
06-30-2010, 11:04 AM
I have not checked, but I think Rollins and Victorino are worse from the right side. I don't want to fight about it, if it were me, I would love to spare Harang potentially tossing his high fly ball pitches to the Philly power hitting lefties. I would try Wood.

Don't know about that. I just know that they are both switch hitters. I also know that Philly has one of the best offenses in the game. Although it did take a hit with the loss of Utley, I don't want a rookie making his first start against an offense of that caliber.

OnBaseMachine
06-30-2010, 12:09 PM
Since you mentioned it, how do you think Wood compares to Cliff Lee? Lee has a height advantage on Wood, but given the cutter, do you think best case scenario Wood could have that type of success?

I don't know, it's tough to compare anyone to Lee. I think if Travis was to reach his full potential he would develop into a John Danks type of starter, which is pretty darn good.

membengal
06-30-2010, 12:42 PM
Don't know about that. I just know that they are both switch hitters. I also know that Philly has one of the best offenses in the game. Although it did take a hit with the loss of Utley, I don't want a rookie making his first start against an offense of that caliber.

I don't care about Philly's reputation. I care about giving the Reds the best chance to win. The lefty against Philly would have been my play, rookie or no.

OnBaseMachine
06-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Daniel Ray Herrera has been sent to Louisville to make room for Travis Wood, according to Jamie Ramsey.

http://twitter.com/Jamieblog

Caveat Emperor
06-30-2010, 03:42 PM
Daniel Ray Herrera has been sent to Louisville to make room for Travis Wood, according to Jamie Ramsey.

And, in turn, a suitcase has been removed from Louisville's clubhouse to make room for Daniel Ray.

nemesis
06-30-2010, 03:56 PM

That was a no brainer. Now he needs to stay there until September at least. Maloney, Burton, Chapman, Del Rosario and Valiquette should all be ahead of him in the pecking order to be brought up as a reliever.

RedsManRick
06-30-2010, 04:32 PM
With Bray back and DRH struggling to throw strikes consistently, this was pretty much a no-brainer.

OnBaseMachine
07-01-2010, 11:16 AM
Travis Wood will wear #30, btw.

OnBaseMachine
07-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Congrats to Travis Wood on an excellent major league debut today. 7 innings, 2 hits, 2 run, 3 BB, 4 K, and only 91 pitches. Had a two hit shutout through seven innings before walking the first two batters in the 8th on close pitches. He was squeezed by the ump all day. That is one heck of a debut in Wrigley Field. People will point out that it only the Cubs, well consider this fact - The Cubs are second in the National League with a .788 OPS vs LHP. They mash lefties. What an impressive start by Wood, it's a shame the offense stranded all those runners and cost him the win. But at least the team won, and that's all that matters.

Oh, and Wood's stuff is legit. He was consistently hitting 92 mph. That's above average velocity for a major league lefty. He also threw a nasty cutter and a very good changeup. I like his potential.

Homer Bailey
07-01-2010, 05:48 PM
Not to turn this thread into the Cliff Lee trade debate, but I really hope Walt doesn't have to get rid of Wood to get Lee. And I'm not basing that statement off of just today. The guy seems to have great stuff, and really good control.

fearofpopvol1
07-01-2010, 05:50 PM
I didn't get to watch the game, but if you can go into Wrigley for your MLB debut and throw 7 innings of 2 hit baseball, then you must be doing something right. Even if the Cubs are having a down year.

camisadelgolf
07-01-2010, 05:52 PM
We all knew about Wood's changeup going into the game (many have claimed it to be one of the best pitches in all the minor leagues), but his cutter wasn't a bad pitch either. If the Reds go into 2011 with Volquez, Cueto, Leake, Bailey, and Wood (with Chapman, Maloney, LeCure, Klinker, and Thompson waiting in the wings), I'll be feeling okay about the starting pitching. Does anyone think trading Arroyo for relief help would make sense?

cincrazy
07-01-2010, 05:53 PM

The start against San Fran was pretty terrible, but I don't think the LA start was dreadful. He made one bad pitch to Ethier that cost him a solid outing.

Leake wasn't going to have a sub-3.00 ERA all season, it was only a matter of time before he hit a stretch where he struggled. But on the same hand, I don't get the impression his game is about to fall off a cliff.

Although I do agree with FCB in that he will (should, anyways) be shut down soon.

Homer Bailey
07-01-2010, 05:54 PM
Does anyone think trading Arroyo for relief help would make sense?

To tell you the truth, no I don't. He's been the Reds most dependable second half starter for the better part of 4 years. In a playoff series, he's one of my top 2 pitchers.

camisadelgolf
07-01-2010, 05:58 PM
To tell you the truth, no I don't. He's been the Reds most dependable second half starter for the better part of 4 years. In a playoff series, he's one of my top 2 pitchers.
That's fair. I'm not necessarily condoning trading Arroyo, but aside from Arthur Rhodes, the Reds haven't been able to rely on anyone in the bullpen (although Jordan Smith might be a dark horse candidate to be the next setup man). With so many key players heading into arbitration (Cueto, Bruce, Votto, Volquez, et al), the Reds will have to find a way to dump larger salaries in a hurry, and parting with Arroyo while his stock is high might be one of the most effective ways of doing it. Sure, you can buy out the contracts of guys like Harang, Cordero, and Phillips, but it only loses you money and doesn't get you anything in return.

Blitz Dorsey
07-01-2010, 06:07 PM
Travis Wood=Good.

It's beyond amazing that Sam LeCure (who clearly doesn't have big-league stuff) was given first crack at a call-up this year over Wood. Oh well, at least the right guy is on the roster right now.

Great job young Mr. Wood. Look forward to seeing you in the rotation for years to come (or as the centerpiece for a Cliff Lee deal ... I'm versatile).

RedsManRick
07-01-2010, 06:10 PM
I definitely think Wood could stick. There's definitely going to be a numbers crunch at some point. I wouldn't be shocked to see both Harang and Arroyo's options not picked up for 2011. That would give Jocketty some serious scratch to play with.

TRF
07-01-2010, 08:52 PM
I definitely think Wood could stick. There's definitely going to be a numbers crunch at some point. I wouldn't be shocked to see both Harang and Arroyo's options not picked up for 2011. That would give Jocketty some serious scratch to play with.

But that really isn't his M.O. He acquires veteran pitchers, develops few and uses them to get the talent he wants. He traded for Mulder with Haren as part of the package to get him. That's just one example. IMO Walt prefers veteran pitchers with a track record. He'll more likely take a flyer on a young position player.

dougdirt
07-01-2010, 09:01 PM

Do we really see the Reds going into 2011 with Johnny Cueto as the 'vet' of the staff?

Marc D
07-01-2010, 09:21 PM

I was going to comment on this in the Cliff Lee thread.

Unless I'm reading the numbers wrong from Cots, it isn't out of the realm of possibility for the Reds to offer the 23MM a year or so it would take to get Cliff Lee for more than just the rest of 2010. A massive amount of payflex and the farm producing the rest of the young cheap talent to put around that key piece is a good spot to be in.

Not probable but it is, I think, actually possible. I'd be interested to hear feedback from those more familiar with the nuances of the payroll than myself.

Homer Bailey
07-01-2010, 09:30 PM
I was going to comment on this in the Cliff Lee thread.

Unless I'm reading the numbers wrong from Cots, it isn't out of the realm of possibility for the Reds to offer the 23MM a year or so it would take to get Cliff Lee for more than just the rest of 2010. A massive amount of payflex and the farm producing the rest of the young cheap talent to put around that key piece is a good spot to be in.

Not probable but it is, I think, actually possible. I'd be interested to hear feedback from those more familiar with the nuances of the payroll than myself.

While I don't disagree that it could happen, it should also be considered that several Reds are due for significant raises next year (Phillips, Votto, Bruce, Cueto, etc.).

Bill
07-01-2010, 09:33 PM
Lee has done the small market Ohio team thing and he did not seem to enjoy it. He'll go pitch with CC where he is certain he will be pitching in big games every fall.

JaxRed
07-01-2010, 09:46 PM
An argument can be made for trading a couple prospects (like Alonso) for Lee, and then flipping him at the end of the year for 2 draft picks.

No rational GM of a team with a $70 million payroll would give almost 1/3 of your payroll to 1 player, especially a pitcher who only plays every 5th game. It would doom the franchise to 70 win seasons throughout the length of the contract.

membengal
07-01-2010, 09:47 PM
What Wood did today was simply an extension of what he has been doing for the last year and a half in the minors. A joy to watch.

Marc D
07-01-2010, 09:47 PM
While I don't disagree that it could happen, it should also be considered that several Reds are due for significant raises next year (Phillips, Votto, Bruce, Cueto, etc.).

Phillips raise is already factored in and the raw payflex is about 33MM. I'm not sure how much you have to alow for arb to Cueto, Volquez and Votto but I'd think you could still offer Lee in the low 20MM a year range and not even raise payroll from this year.

Now, I agree with Bill that given two offers, one from the NYY and one from the Reds that Lee probably isn't choosing GAB but it'd be worth a shot.

Will M
07-01-2010, 09:54 PM
i would hesitate to give up Wood for a rental. trading him as part of a deal for Haren or Drew would be different as either of these players would be with the team past 2010.

if Arroyo pitches well in the 2nd half then his 2011 option should be picked up. others have talked about a deal restructure similar to the Rolen deal.
Arroyo, Volquez, Cueto followed by Leake, Wood (unless dealt), Bailey & Chapman is a nice deep group of starters.

Walt is going to have an exciting month. The deal(s) he makes or doesn't make are going to affect the team both in 2010 & beyond.

OnBaseMachine
07-02-2010, 12:04 AM
Quotes on Travis Wood from Mark Sheldon's game story:

"For a guy to come up in his first start and throw 10-11 pitches per inning for seven innings, especially at Wrigley Field, it's something you really don't see too much," Reds catcher Corky Miller said. "He did what he was supposed to do."

"He pitched good," Cubs first baseman Derrek Lee said. "What was impressive was his location. Being his first Major League start, he had composure and looked good."

"Until the eighth, [Wood] had great control," Baker said. "He was cutting the ball and throwing his changeup. Then the zone got a little tight on him in the eighth. That was a tough way for him to get a no-decision. He was dealing."

"I saw him when he was 18 years old and we were both in the [Gulf Coast League] together and roommates," Bruce said. "He's doing what he did. He's learned how to pitch and use his stuff. He did great today. He came in here like it was any other outing in any other place and shut the Cubs down for seven innings."

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100701&content_id=11805498&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

TheNext44
07-02-2010, 01:07 AM
Phillips raise is already factored in and the raw payflex is about 33MM. I'm not sure how much you have to alow for arb to Cueto, Volquez and Votto but I'd think you could still offer Lee in the low 20MM a year range and not even raise payroll from this year.

Now, I agree with Bill that given two offers, one from the NYY and one from the Reds that Lee probably isn't choosing GAB but it'd be worth a shot.

the number that Cot's has for the Reds in 2011 is $52M for only 13 players, and that is after you add in the expected arb raises. If the rest of the team gets 500K each, that raises it $58M, so the Reds would have have around $10-15M to play with, depending on the economy. And that's assuming they fill the remaining 12 roster spots with replacement level contracts.

I doubt the Reds could afford Lee, but then again, neither could the Phillies, so it's not that big of a deal.

fearofpopvol1
07-02-2010, 02:09 AM
I really see no chance that some legitimate "veteran" pitcher isn't on our staff for the 2011 rotation. I doubt it's Harang, but I think Arroyo's option could be picked up. If it's not Arroyo, I think it will be someone else. Ideally, I'd love the Reds to only sign this veteran for next year so going into '12 they can rely on the younger staff.

However, even with this veteran pitcher....it gets pretty interesting for the remainder of the staff. You've got a lot of options...

Cueto
Volquez
Chapman
Bailey
Leake
Wood

That would be 6 right there and that doesn't count the veteran pitcher I believe the Reds will have next year.

It's entirely possible that Wood gets moved here this month or in the offseason, which would then leave 1 spot open. What happens then? Bailey to the pen?

Homer Bailey must be feeling ill right about now. I kind of feel like his window with the Reds is/was this season and that window is quickly closing due to his injury (though it's not like he pitched amazingly prior to the injury). He had a long season to try to prove himself and that no longer applies.

If he doesn't come back and dominate or pitch anything short of well, he's probably headed to the pen.

oregonred
07-02-2010, 02:12 AM
Trading a lefty with Travis Wood's ability and big league ready potential for a 2+ month rental would be complete lunacy even if it enabled getting Lee. Cueto + Volquez + Leake + Wood as a rotation base and I'll roll with the rest for the next 4-5 years. We've been looking for a Travis Wood type lefty for 20 years.

Wood could be the difference maker alone in the 2nd half of 2010 and then you've got a minimum of 6 more years of franchise control. This team has a solid multi-year run in front of it and if Chapman can develop into a rotation fixture then look out. 2010 is just the beginning.

Don't get me wrong, adding Lee would essentially put the Reds in the playoffs as division champs or a WC for 2010, but no way in heck do I put Travis Wood as the centerpiece in that package.

90 wins and this team plays in October. That's the magic number. It may really end up taking only 86-87 to win the division. With the NL balance in the other divisions, 90 should take the WC regardless.

fearofpopvol1
07-02-2010, 02:22 AM
I would trade Wood for Lee, even with his potential. However, Wood would have to be the main prospect in the deal. I would not give them Alonso too.

oregonred
07-02-2010, 02:26 AM
I would trade Wood for Lee, even with his potential. However, Wood would have to be the main prospect in the deal. I would not give them Alonso too.

Agree on that. Not getting both.

nemesis
07-02-2010, 05:01 AM

It would be hard for me to even give up Wood straight up for Lee. The things I have to ask myself is...

1) How much of an upgrade is Lee if Wood continues to pitch like he has for over an year and a half?

2) Is mortgaging 6 years of Wood worth 2 months of Lee? Do I cost myself in future seasons?

3) What if Chapman doesn't pan out as a starter? What other Lefty do I have in my system to help balance out the Rotation?

Jocketty has said numerous time that the Haren for Mulder trade is one he'd like to have back. I'm not saying Wood is Haren, but you never know. Votto wasn't supposed to be as good as Albert, but... In my book right now, Votto is and has to be the league MVP at the midway point.

Trade LeCure, Klinker, Maloney, Fairel, Serrano, Carroll, any of the bench bats or most fo the bullpen arms for Lee. But not Wood, Chapman, Joseph or Yorman.

mth123
07-02-2010, 06:23 AM
Great Outing by Wood.

Chapman
Leake
Cueto
Volquez
Veteran Staff Leader

Bailey
Lecure
Maloney
Klinker

So even in 2011, its hard to see where Wood fits in the rotation and there seems to be some decent depth w/o him. I like him less than Chapman, Leake, Cueto, Volquez and even Bailey going forward. If the Reds could deal Wood for a TOR starter, they should do it in a split second. Like many others, I prefer some one who will be around in 2011 as a target to a two month rental, but if a deal involving Wood and Alonso and a couple lesser lights for Lee presented itself, I wouldn't hesitate.

membengal
07-02-2010, 07:19 AM
Chapman has quite a ways to go before he can be penciled in, frankly, to the 2011 rotation.

Cueto
Volquez
Leake
Wood
Veteran Staff Leader

w/ Bailey/Chapman/Klinker/Maloney for depth/development.

Cedric
07-02-2010, 07:54 AM
It would be hard for me to even give up Wood straight up for Lee. The things I have to ask myself is...

1) How much of an upgrade is Lee if Wood continues to pitch like he has for over an year and a half?

2) Is mortgaging 6 years of Wood worth 2 months of Lee? Do I cost myself in future seasons?

3) What if Chapman doesn't pan out as a starter? What other Lefty do I have in my system to help balance out the Rotation?

Jocketty has said numerous time that the Haren for Mulder trade is one he'd like to have back. I'm not saying Wood is Haren, but you never know. Votto wasn't supposed to be as good as Albert, but... In my book right now, Votto is and has to be the league MVP at the midway point.

Trade LeCure, Klinker, Maloney, Fairel, Serrano, Carroll, any of the bench bats or most fo the bullpen arms for Lee. But not Wood, Chapman, Joseph or Yorman.
You would never make trades it looks like. Why would anyone want LeCure, Maloney, Serrano, or any of those guys as the main guys in a trade?

It took WAY more than that to get Scott Rolen at 35 last year. I would trade Wood yesterday for a guy like Cliff Lee. People way overvalue their own farm system players, IMO.

I also think people are undervaluing a playoff berth. It's extremely important to just get to the lottery. In baseball playoffs are the lottery. You don't pass up the opportunity just to worry about next year. I'm glad Jocketty knows this and usually doesn't pass up a chance to make his team better in July.

membengal
07-02-2010, 08:12 AM
I understand the overvalue-your-own sentiment. And I think it's valid.

But Rolen wasn't a rental, they were even able to extend him.

Lee would be pure rental. And I think dealing a 23-year-old lefty who can offer the Reds six years of cost-effective service is a hard pill to swallow for a rental. Unlike Stewart, who was making the switch to starter, there is a minor league track record with Wood that makes it possible to project some success in the majors. Maybe even a lot of success.

I just shy away from dealing a guy like Wood for a few months of a pitcher like Lee, even as good as Lee is.

Thing is, it shouldn't take Wood. A package of Alonso and Francisco would likely get it done. Toss in Maloney if need be. And/or Klinker. And/or Donnie Joseph. The Reds have quality depth to deal from.

RFS62
07-02-2010, 10:08 AM
You don't chose the year. The year choses you.

I'll bet Walt will make a deal with one of our top prospects.

Caveat Emperor
07-02-2010, 11:18 AM
You don't chose the year. The year choses you.

I'll bet Walt will make a deal with one of our top prospects.

Yup, and I'd be surprised if the target isn't some other team's closer to come in and be the setup man and/or replacement for Francisco Cordero.

Marc D
07-02-2010, 11:27 AM
the number that Cot's has for the Reds in 2011 is $52M for only 13 players, and that is after you add in the expected arb raises. If the rest of the team gets 500K each, that raises it $58M, so the Reds would have have around $10-15M to play with, depending on the economy. And that's assuming they fill the remaining 12 roster spots with replacement level contracts.

I doubt the Reds could afford Lee, but then again, neither could the Phillies, so it's not that big of a deal.

Thanks for the clarification.

I thought Walt was just clearing cap space to go after LeBron.

GoReds
07-02-2010, 11:28 AM
From what I've heard, Seattle is interested in hitting much more than pitching. I'm not sure Wood would even be part of the discussion.

fearofpopvol1
07-02-2010, 12:23 PM

In my opinion, you're overlooking the comp picks the Reds receive if they trade for Lee and he doesn't resign with the Reds.

RedsManRick
07-02-2010, 12:51 PM
This team has a lot of good talent. What it lacks, particularly on the pitching staff, is GREAT talent. At some point, having a really strong 40 man roster doesn't mean anything if your 25 man roster can't get over the hump.

Alonso clearly has no role on the team, even if he starts hitting. There's not room for Cueto, Voqluez, Leake, Wood, Maloney, Chapman and whoever else in the starting rotation. This team is at the exact right place to cash in some depth for a big upgrade. I think we should be BIG players in the Cliff Lee game.

With our payroll, signing a top pitcher for 5/100 is a risky move. Trading for a rental of that guy to get him exactly when you need him and where you get two picks back anyways walks that line perfectly in my book.

Does that mean I trade Alonso and Wood and somebody else for Lee? I don't know. But unless somebody else is offering a comparable package, we should darn well be in the mix. Trading Wood does not do significant harm to this team's future and it could be the difference between making the playoffs with a decent chance to advance and not making it at all. While it's important, generally speaking, to get more value than you give, in any sport, it's far better to be great 1 year than just mediocre every year.

Falls City Beer
07-02-2010, 12:58 PM
I think the true stealth move would be to target Greinke instead. I prefer Lee (for this season), but Greinke would be an absolute hammer for the team for some time. I say this because I have little reason to doubt that an AL team will get Lee.

Benihana
07-02-2010, 01:43 PM
This team has a lot of good talent. What it lacks, particularly on the pitching staff, is GREAT talent. At some point, having a really strong 40 man roster doesn't mean anything if your 25 man roster can't get over the hump.

Alonso clearly has no role on the team, even if he starts hitting. There's not room for Cueto, Voqluez, Leake, Wood, Maloney, Chapman and whoever else in the starting rotation. This team is at the exact right place to cash in some depth for a big upgrade. I think we should be BIG players in the Cliff Lee game.

With our payroll, signing a top pitcher for 5/100 is a risky move. Trading for a rental of that guy to get him exactly when you need him and where you get two picks back anyways walks that line perfectly in my book.

Does that mean I trade Alonso and Wood and somebody else for Lee? I don't know. But unless somebody else is offering a comparable package, we should darn well be in the mix. Trading Wood does not do significant harm to this team's future and it could be the difference between making the playoffs with a decent chance to advance and not making it at all. While it's important, generally speaking, to get more value than you give, in any sport, it's far better to be great 1 year than just mediocre every year.

:clap:

nate
07-02-2010, 01:45 PM
Rick, I couldn't agree more if you were my wife and I had to.

membengal
07-02-2010, 02:51 PM
I think the true stealth move would be to target Greinke instead. I prefer Lee (for this season), but Greinke would be an absolute hammer for the team for some time. I say this because I have little reason to doubt that an AL team will get Lee.

For Grienke I wouldn't blink at sending Wood and Mes along with whomever else. Not a rental. And a hammer.

camisadelgolf
07-02-2010, 03:04 PM
For Grienke I wouldn't blink at sending Wood and Mes along with whomever else. Not a rental. And a hammer.
If the Royals are trading Greinke, they'd want a middle infield prospect who projects to be as good as Hanley Ramirez. The Reds just aren't a good fit.

nemesis
07-02-2010, 03:09 PM

See, there is the better thinking. I would absolutely deal Wood, Alonso, Bailey, Mez, Heisey for Greinke and Soria. Grienke and Soria are young, long term anchors for the Rotation and Bullpen. I'm not against trading top prospects, just top prospects for rentals. Grienke would look good in a Reds uni.

Grienke
Volquez
Cueto
Leake
Chapman

going into 2011 would be the best rotation in baseball outside of San Diego, Boston and Tampa.

membengal
07-02-2010, 03:16 PM
If the Royals are trading Greinke, they'd want a middle infield prospect who projects to be as good as Hanley Ramirez. The Reds just aren't a good fit.

Do they want unicorns that poop skittles too?

ARE there any middle infield prospects as good as Hanley Ramirez out there? It's not like just because they want something they can have it.

camisadelgolf
07-02-2010, 03:29 PM
Do they want unicorns that poop skittles too?

ARE there any middle infield prospects as good as Hanley Ramirez out there? It's not like just because they want something they can have it.
Yes, they also want unicorns that poop skittles. That was a good question.

Maybe HanRam was a bad example, but what I mean to say is that they want a middle infielder who at least has the ceiling of someone comparable to Ramirez. Zach Greinke is a young Cy Young Award winner, and he's locked up at a bargain price for the next couple years, so of course they're going to expect a center piece of something bigger than Zack Cozart or whoever the Reds' best middle infielder prospect is. I'm sure they have zero interest in Yonder Alonso, and it would probably take at least three of the team's top ten prospects to land someone of Greinke's caliber. Mike Leake + Yorman Rodriguez + quite a bit more is what would need to go if the Reds think they have a reasonable chance at landing someone like Zach Greinke.

fearofpopvol1
07-02-2010, 03:29 PM

I think Haren is a good choice too. The Reds would at least have him for next year as well. And his name has kind of fallen off the radar. I think he could be had for a reasonable package.

OnBaseMachine
07-02-2010, 07:35 PM
Doug Dirt has some great info on Wood's start over on his website:

http://redsminorleagues.com/2010/07/02/friday-graphs-of-the-day/

Degenerate39
07-02-2010, 07:52 PM
I think Haren is a good choice too. The Reds would at least have him for next year as well. And his name has kind of fallen off the radar. I think he could be had for a reasonable package.

Haren could also eat a lot of innings next year since Harang won't be back. And possibly Arroyo

VR
07-02-2010, 11:02 PM
It would be nice to do a Rolen type trade for Lee. Reds get Lee, give up Harang, Alonso, Dickerson, Mesaraco.

nemesis
07-03-2010, 04:57 AM
It would be nice to do a Rolen type trade for Lee. Reds get Lee, give up Harang, Alonso, Dickerson, Mesaraco.

Way to much. Harang, Alonso, Maloney and Soto at MAX.

Why does everyone think it will take Mez or Wood to get Lee?

Are you the same people who wanted to deal Votto for Bedard?

Ya know "sell high" on Votto? Cause Bedard and 2 unknown picks woulda been such a value for Votto's slow bat and Sean Casey like power... Those who do not learn from their past are doomed to repeat it.

VR
07-03-2010, 11:15 AM
Way to much. Harang, Alonso, Maloney and Soto at MAX.

Why does everyone think it will take Mez or Wood to get Lee?

Are you the same people who wanted to deal Votto for Bedard?

Ya know "sell high" on Votto? Cause Bedard and 2 unknown picks woulda been such a value for Votto's slow bat and Sean Casey like power... Those who do not learn from their past are doomed to repeat it.

Who's the Votto on that list? The only player that "might" have a Reds impact is Mes. The others are either blocked or are replacable in the system.

Cliff Lee is a superfreak of a pitcher. Teams are going to be going HARD after this guy....I'd give more than this list if I had their attention.

jojo
07-03-2010, 12:06 PM

I don't think anyone is a good fit for a Grienke trade. Moore would have to have such an impossible margin of error preventing him from failing that I doubt KC's demands would be reasonable.

jojo
07-03-2010, 12:13 PM
The Reds need to hopelessly complicate things by involving at least four teams...

Uggla to the Rockies, Johnson and Snyder to the Reds, a badaggle of near ready prospects to Florida and something to the Dbacks so that they can say they didn't sell Snyder for greed...maybe the Reds can use Alonso to the Ms and Lee to somebody and somebody's stuff to Florida to help too...

membengal
07-05-2010, 07:09 PM
They're asking a lot of Wood tonight.

RedsManRick
07-05-2010, 07:13 PM

What are they asking him? To pitch against a mediocre offense in a pitcher's park?

Pitcher's don't face pitchers; hitters do.

membengal
07-05-2010, 07:21 PM
Three days rest, RMR with Harang unable to go. I think that's a sizeable request myself.

Sorry if you disagree.

OnBaseMachine
07-05-2010, 07:26 PM

Agreed. I'm guessing this is the first time he's ever pitched on three days rest in his pro career. I don't think they had any other options though.

guttle11
07-05-2010, 07:26 PM
Three days rest, RMR with Harang unable to go. I think that's a sizeable request myself.

Sorry if you disagree.

It is, but I don't think there was any other option. Owings pitched yesterday, and you're not going to do a full bullpen day in a stretch with zero off days. Hopefully they can get 5 or 6 quick innings out of him and Harang can go tomorrow.

membengal
07-05-2010, 07:29 PM
I'm not saying they had other options. Just noting they are asking a LOT of a rookie making his second major league start.

On top of it, he wasn't mentally prepped for it either, as it was a last minute thing.

Falls City Beer
07-05-2010, 09:15 PM
The Mets may not be the Reds offensively, but they're considerably tougher than the Cubs.

membengal
07-05-2010, 09:17 PM
I am really pleased with what Wood gave the team tonite on no notice and short rest.

RedsManRick
07-05-2010, 09:25 PM

Sorry if you disagree.

Didn't realize it was 3 days rest when I made the comment. Considering, I think the kid held his own.

Falls City Beer
07-05-2010, 09:32 PM
Got a chance to watch this game: thought Wood looked pretty mediocre. Hope it's just the short rest. Mets made him throw a bunch of pitches, then really got to him in the fifth. I'm all for sending him off for an ace; he looks a long way from being ready, IMO.

membengal
07-05-2010, 09:38 PM
Three. days. rest.

You can't judge him on this, fcb. That is completely unfair in every respect.

Not only was it three days rest, it was a surprise start with no notice on three days rest.

But, whatever.

Falls City Beer
07-05-2010, 09:42 PM
Like I said, I hope that's all it is. Certainly likely. But it's also probable that he was facing a considerably better and hungrier offense than the Cubs.

membengal
07-05-2010, 09:45 PM
5 Ks in 4 2/3 innings. Again, whatever.

Falls City Beer
07-05-2010, 09:46 PM
5 Ks in 4 2/3 innings. Again, whatever.

You're right. He's a Hall of Famer.

membengal
07-05-2010, 09:47 PM
No, you're right, he clearly is "a long way from being ready" because you saw him for the first time ever while he was on a surprise start on 3 days rest.

Whatever.

OnBaseMachine
07-05-2010, 10:29 PM
I thought Travis did well tonight considering the circumstances. Wood found out he was starting tonight's game 40 minutes before the game started. This was also the first time he's pitched on three days rest. He pitched well the first four innings but then appeared to tire out in the 5th inning, probably from a combo of pitching on three days rest + legging out a triple in the top of the inning. It sucks he didn't get his first major league win but he came through for the Reds in a tough situation.

membengal
07-05-2010, 10:35 PM
Full agreement, OBM.

I did not realize the notice was so short that he found out at 6:30 for a 7:10 first pitch. Add that onto the coming back on three days rest, and I would say the Reds owe a tip of the cap to him for battling through 4 2/3. I know I am appreciative. Particularly going against Pelfrey.

Big win for the team tonite.

Tony Cloninger
07-05-2010, 10:37 PM
FCB....what were you expecting on 3 days rest?

fearofpopvol1
07-05-2010, 10:40 PM
I thought Wood pitched pretty well, but he clearly fatigued that last inning. Hard to fault that, especially after the dude hit a freaking triple before. Not to mention, Jordan Smith made Wood's line look a lot worse than it was.

What I will say though about Wood is the guy has an amazing changeup, yet, he barely used it! He could've used it in the 2 strike counts and fooled these hitters and he rarely did that. He was using his cutter way too much and throwing it too far outside of the zone.

HeatherC1212
07-05-2010, 10:41 PM
Mad props to Travis for pitching so well on short rest tonight and that triple was totally awesome! :D

Falls City Beer
07-05-2010, 11:02 PM
FCB....what were you expecting on 3 days rest?

I guess I was expecting the poise of Leake. Didn't see that. Seemed to be missing spots and getting ruffled.

Jordan Smith looked good despite trying to bust everything in to the righties (something I normally like to see--he just got a little too happy with it). Despite letting those runs cross, he came up big tonight.

David Wright is just a great hitter. But Votto is stratospheric.

Caveat Emperor
07-05-2010, 11:34 PM
Wood looked OK. Tough assignment, but I would've liked to see him at least make it through 5 IP.

It'll be a few starts before we can say, with any certainty, what the team has in Travis Wood. The league will get to see film of him, hitters will go to school, and then we'll really see what the kid is made of, IMO.

Until that point, I'm going to hold off own crowning him as the centerpiece of a rotation. And, like FCB, I'd listen to any offers that could land a TOR starter for him and other prospects.

nemesis
07-07-2010, 12:49 AM
The positive thing about Wood Caveat, is that the longer he is in a league the better he performs against them. There is a solid track record in the minors showing that. I would take that as he is a student of the game. He makes the proper adjustments. Saw an article once that when he went back to AA last year he was charting pitches even if he wasn't pitching. I just he is around long enough to let us see.

membengal
07-10-2010, 09:31 PM
Got a chance to watch this game: thought Wood looked pretty mediocre. Hope it's just the short rest. Mets made him throw a bunch of pitches, then really got to him in the fifth. I'm all for sending him off for an ace; he looks a long way from being ready, IMO.

B.u.m.p.

Falls City Beer
07-10-2010, 09:40 PM
Just reporting what I saw.

KoryMac5
07-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Just reporting what I saw.

Care to change your opinion based on what you saw tonight.

Falls City Beer
07-10-2010, 09:54 PM
Care to change your opinion based on what you saw tonight.

Obviously he was better tonight. Considerably. But I'm glad we've got folks here on Redszone who have the ability to follow the AAA team bus to all of its stops around the midwest and mid-south to see Travis pitch all of his games. I'd love to have that flexibility. But I have a job.

lollipopcurve
07-10-2010, 09:55 PM
You hold on to Travis Wood. That should be clear now.

Falls City Beer
07-10-2010, 09:57 PM
You hold on to Wood now. There's clearly not another arm on the market to warrant giving him up. His trade value went way up. If they want to go that route in the future.

OnBaseMachine
07-28-2010, 06:05 PM
Another very solid start by Travis Wood today against a good Brewers offense: 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 6 K. At one point he struck out five consecutive batters. He made two mistake pitches to Braun and Lucroy but really, a good defensive left fielder catches both of those hits, IMO. It was a much deserved first major league win for Travis. Congrats to him. It's nice to see him finally get some run support.

redhawkfish
07-28-2010, 06:11 PM
I know the TV radar guns aren't always accurate, but I have been surprised how many times Wood has hit 92 or 93 MPH on the gun.

RED VAN HOT
07-28-2010, 07:10 PM
I know the TV radar guns aren't always accurate, but I have been surprised how many times Wood has hit 92 or 93 MPH on the gun.

He has enough velocity to come in on the fists to RH batters with his fastball. Not all LHP's can get away with that. Cliff Lee makes a living doing it. Also, I noticed there was 20 MPH difference between his fastball and circle curve.

Topcat
07-29-2010, 02:16 AM
So damn Happy Travis is performing well. I have pulled for this kid for ages and now for the masses he is showing he belongs :beerme:

bucksfan2
07-29-2010, 10:02 AM
Another very solid start by Travis Wood today against a good Brewers offense: 5 IP, 5 H, 2 R, 1 BB, 6 K. At one point he struck out five consecutive batters. He made two mistake pitches to Braun and Lucroy but really, a good defensive left fielder catches both of those hits, IMO. It was a much deserved first major league win for Travis. Congrats to him. It's nice to see him finally get some run support.

I don't know about you but only being able to go 5 innings doesn't qualify as a very good start in my book. Also add to the fact that Wood was hit hard by the top half of the Brewers lineup.

Its nice to see Wood get some run support but he is going to be better than yesterday going forward this season.

reds1869
07-29-2010, 10:04 AM
I don't know about you but only being able to go 5 innings doesn't qualify as a very good start in my book. Also add to the fact that Wood was hit hard by the top half of the Brewers lineup.

Its nice to see Wood get some run support but he is going to be better than yesterday going forward this season.

If every pitcher delivered performances like yesterday's consistently the Reds would be in the World Series. I'll never complain about two runs over five. It isn't ideal but it is certainly good enough, especially for a rookie pitcher.

Cedric
07-29-2010, 10:07 AM
If every pitcher delivered performances like yesterday's consistently the Reds would be in the World Series. I'll never complain about two runs over five. It isn't ideal but it is certainly good enough, especially for a rookie pitcher.

And not even mentioning that he wasn't pulled for his performance. He was pitching fine and was at 82 pitches. The Reds had a chance to blow the game open so Dusty sent up a pinch hitter.

dougdirt
07-29-2010, 10:10 AM

Did you watch the game?

bucksfan2
07-29-2010, 10:20 AM
And not even mentioning that he wasn't pulled for his performance. He was pitching fine and was at 82 pitches. The Reds had a chance to blow the game open so Dusty sent up a pinch hitter.

There was a reason he was pulled. If you want to say he pitched "fine" that is fine with me. Sure the Reds had a chance to break the game open but I don't know of many managers who would want to burn of 4 innings of relief pitching without a reason.

Maybe it is just a matter of semantics to me. I have no issue with his start yesterday, a start like that every once in a while isn't going to kill the team. But if you continually go only 5 innings you will burn up your bullpen.

Homer Bailey
07-29-2010, 10:23 AM
There was a reason he was pulled. If you want to say he pitched "fine" that is fine with me. Sure the Reds had a chance to break the game open but I don't know of many managers who would want to burn of 4 innings of relief pitching without a reason.

Maybe it is just a matter of semantics to me. I have no issue with his start yesterday, a start like that every once in a while isn't going to kill the team. But if you continually go only 5 innings you will burn up your bullpen.

It wasn't without reason. It was to try and blow the game open. 82 pitches, 2 earned runs, do you think he was pulled for performance? He made two bad pitches that got ripped in the 4th inning, other than that, there were maybe two other balls that were hit hard all day, both by Rickie Weeks.

Aside from the two mistake pitches, he was dominant.

dougdirt
07-29-2010, 10:24 AM

He was pulled at 82 pitches. It wasn't because he was getting hit. It wasn't because he was struggling. He could have gone 7 at that pace.

BrooklynRedz
07-29-2010, 10:42 AM

You're right; there was a reason he was pulled. Dusty needed to get the bullpen some work. Marty remarked that it was made clear before the game that if they were in position to do so, they would give some guys some innings.

This had nothing to do with Wood performing poorly.

RedsManRick
07-29-2010, 10:47 AM
In effect, Wood reminds me of Harang in his prime. He's got enough velocity to keep people honest, while sitting around 90-91. He's got very good command and enough movement to miss bats on occasion and induce grounders.

Obviously they're different physically and Wood may never be the horse Harang was from an innings perspective, but I think he can sustain a 3.50-3.75 ERA

IslandRed
07-29-2010, 10:55 AM
In effect, Wood reminds me of Harang in his prime. He's got enough velocity to keep people honest, while sitting around 90-91. He's got very good command and enough movement to miss bats on occasion and induce grounders.

Obviously they're different physically and Wood may never be the horse Harang was from an innings perspective, but I think he can sustain a 3.50-3.75 ERA

Ditto that, and the touching 92-93 occasionally mentioned earlier. I didn't read every single thing written about Wood when he was in the minors but he throws a couple of ticks harder than I was expecting. He may not have that extra something that makes a pitcher great, but he has everything he needs to be good.

OnBaseMachine
07-29-2010, 12:15 PM

He threw 82 pitches in five innings. He could have easily went one or two more innings but Dusty chose to pinch hit for him.

5 IP, 2 R vs a good offense? I'll take that any day of the week. With a better defensive LFer the Brewers may not even score at all.

bucksfan2
07-29-2010, 12:57 PM
He threw 82 pitches in five innings. He could have easily went one or two more innings but Dusty chose to pinch hit for him.

5 IP, 2 R vs a good offense? I'll take that any day of the week. With a better defensive LFer the Brewers may not even score at all.

If your starters only go 5IP you will burn out the pen quickly.

I am a little suspect as to why Dusty took Wood out of the game in the 5th. I understand that he wanted to blow the game open but when I look at it more it doesn't make much sense. Nix was intentionally walked in that situation wasting Dusty's best LH bat off the bench. And Wood carries a pretty good bat for a P himself.

I can understand wanting to get the pen work, I just don't know if that was such a good idea with 4 innings remaining facing the Brewers who have a pretty potent first 5. It all worked out as the Reds blew open the game in the 9th and the pen did get some work in. At the end of the day there were a lot of positives to come out of that game as well as the Brewers series.

membengal
08-02-2010, 09:31 PM
Travis Wood has been a revelation.

I was bullish on him, but, man, he's been a rock since his call-up. In a time when they really needed someone to be to help out Cueto and Arroyo.

Spitball
08-02-2010, 09:43 PM
Whew! I saw the title and for a second thought Baker was going to start him on two days rest.

Wood has been very nice call up. He doesn't live far from Cliff Lee and worked out with him this winter. Maybe he learned some things.

CrackerJack
08-02-2010, 09:47 PM
Ditto that, and the touching 92-93 occasionally mentioned earlier. I didn't read every single thing written about Wood when he was in the minors but he throws a couple of ticks harder than I was expecting. He may not have that extra something that makes a pitcher great, but he has everything he needs to be good.

First time I have seen him pitch tonight, and was really impressed by the life in the balls he throws, and the velocity he has on most of his pitches. I'm surprised he only throws 91-93 tops, it looks faster than that, in the way the ball comes out of his hand and moves. Granted it's Pittsburgh's miserable line-up, but no one seemed to even get a solid swing on him, everything was moving enough to keep balls playable. Another keeper.

He's really made the jump this year, exactly the kind of step up in ability great players exhibit when the time is right and given the chance. He and Leake really have a bright future if they stay healthy (exciting).

hebroncougar
08-02-2010, 09:53 PM
First time I have seen him pitch tonight, and was really impressed by the life in the balls he throws, and the velocity he has on most of his pitches. I'm surprised he only throws 91-93 tops, it looks faster than that, in the way the ball comes out of his hand and moves. Granted it's Pittsburgh's miserable line-up, but no one seemed to even get a solid swing on him, everything was moving enough to keep balls playable. Another keeper.

He's really made the jump this year, exactly the kind of step up in ability great players exhibit when the time is right and given the chance. He and Leake really have a bright future if they stay healthy (exciting).

Amen to that. Only 28 hits in 44 IP after tonight. And a 3.5/1 K/BB ratio. Impressive start to his career.

CrackerJack
08-02-2010, 09:56 PM
Travis Wood has been a revelation.

I was bullish on him, but, man, he's been a rock since his call-up. In a time when they really needed someone to be to help out Cueto and Arroyo.

Yep, who knew they'd be able to just let Bailey and Harang chill on the DL for so long, and not break a sweat?

Before the season, if someone had told any one of us they'd be in first place on August 2nd with those two on the DL for a month or more already, you'd have to laugh.

Yet here they are. The young guys are bringin' it, along with Ondrusek and Smith.

Maybe the rotating-GM thing has some merit in a 5 year plan? (as long as they're respected of course)

HokieRed
08-02-2010, 09:59 PM
Going to have to start watching Wood's innings a little. 98 at Louisville before the 44.2 he's now at with Cinti. 142.2 makes him second only to Arroyo.

bucksfan2
08-02-2010, 10:04 PM
Going to have to start watching Wood's innings a little. 98 at Louisville before the 44.2 he's now at with Cinti. 142.2 makes him second only to Arroyo.

Last year he pitched 162 so I am not worried about it yet. I would imagine he could pitch around 180 innings. So in all likelihood he has around 40 IP left this season. You may see him have a start skipped but I am not nearly as worried about Wood's innings as I am Leake's.

HokieRed
08-02-2010, 10:06 PM
Last year he pitched 162 so I am not worried about it yet. I would imagine he could pitch around 180 innings. So in all likelihood he has around 40 IP left this season. You may see him have a start skipped but I am not nearly as worried about Wood's innings as I am Leake's.

Neither am I, but I could see it becoming an issue very late in the season. I consider him the ace of this staff right now and I've thought of him as more like a 2 all along than the back end guy he's been relegated to being. So I think care's in order. That's all I'm saying. I don't know how many people realize how many innings he'd thrown at L'ville before they brought him.