PDA

View Full Version : Would you send Leake down?

alloverjr
06-29-2010, 10:41 PM
Other than the indignity of Leake losing his ML per diem, would it not make roster sense to ship Mike to AAA since it doesn't seem like he would pitch again for at least 2 weeks? If the club is so short on the bench (evidenced by Leake hitting in the 6th), shouldn't they look to improve the or at least stock the bench? What value will he serve for this period on the major league squad? Just curious if anyone else gave this some thought.

reds44
06-29-2010, 10:44 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up with a mysterious injury.

reds1869
06-29-2010, 10:46 PM
I wouldn't be surprised if he comes up with a mysterious injury.

This. No need to send him down, especially since he will burn an option if they do so.

Tornon
06-29-2010, 10:47 PM
We'll need another pitcher then next week won't we?

reds44
06-29-2010, 10:48 PM
We'll need another pitcher then next week won't we?
Thy name is Volquez.

Reds1
06-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Volquez pitching tonight. They think it will be Wood

Tornon
06-29-2010, 10:50 PM
Thy name is Volquez.

That's right.. I had somehow briefly forgotten about him

alloverjr
06-29-2010, 10:56 PM
This. No need to send him down, especially since he will burn an option if they do so.

For someone they thought good enough to skip the minor leagues entirely, do you think they are really concerned about options for him? You may be right. He does get paid big league money on the DL right? ;)

fearofpopvol1
06-29-2010, 11:19 PM
no

The Operator
06-29-2010, 11:23 PM
All I know is I'm afraid he may have hit the proverbial wall.

5+ runs in three of his last four outings. It may just be the panicky Reds fan in me, but I'm starting to get worried.

Kc61
06-29-2010, 11:23 PM
Leake will be fine.

kbrake
06-29-2010, 11:29 PM
I don't think Leake will be fine in 2010. Everyone knew he would hit a wall/league would come around. I think you give him at least until Volquez is ready and you see how Wood does. If those two go as planned it might not be the worst idea ever to send him down. Like FCB said earlier in a different thread, it will be easier to limit innings and maybe the league has just got him for now.

camisadelgolf
06-29-2010, 11:45 PM
I think Leake will get sent down when Volquez comes up. Following that, Leake might make an occasional spot start, but I think he'll be shut down before the close of the Bats' season.

Hoosier Red
06-29-2010, 11:46 PM
To be clear I don't think AOJ is suggesting to send him down for performance related issues, but rather as a way to clear up the roster on Thursday. More than likely, Volquez will take the turn on Sunday, and this essentially gives Leake a 3 week break including the All-Star Break.

Blitz Dorsey
06-30-2010, 12:22 AM
No, I wouldn't. The Phillies can rake, I wouldn't put too much stock into this one game (although he was burnt by a couple of their worst hitters). I realize his control has been a little off lately and some think he's hitting the rookie wall, but I still think he's a good bet for a quality start every time out. I don't think it's time to send him down ... not yet at least.

OnBaseMachine
06-30-2010, 01:33 AM
We all knew he was going to eventually hit a rough patch. The league has adjusted to him now it's time for him to do the same. He'll eventually figure things out. I had a feeling he was going to struggle against the Phillies but it was disappointing that Brian Schneider and Wilson Valdez beat him. He actually handed Rollins and Howard OK, it was the 7/8 hitters that did him in. I'd let him make his next start in New York and then I would try to skip him in Philly if possible.

Superdude
06-30-2010, 02:20 AM
Is it just me or have we seen much less of Leake's slider recently? He seems to drop in a loopy curveball early in the count every once in a while, but that out pitch slider has all but disappeared. Leake's biggest asset is movement, but when practically every pitch he throws is consistently tailing away about 8-10 inches, hitter are eventually going to get the hang of it...just the observations of someone who's never pitched a game in his life. :D

mth123
06-30-2010, 02:43 AM
I suggested this in another thread. Sending him down for 2 or 3 weeks delays free agency for a year. I think its the right move orginizationally. Volquez will be taking Leake's next turn or two and then the All Star break will be upon us. Given his performance in 3 of his last 4 starts, Leake reallly couldn't argue much. However,if he's going to be shut down completely for a while to limit innings, then DL may make more sense.