PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Movies

Ghosts of 1990
06-30-2010, 10:21 AM
What is your favorite baseball movie?

It's often hard for someone to pick just one, I know that I have many that I enjoy very much. Let's try and list just about every baseball movie ever made here--and what you liked about it or even what you remember about it.

I'd say I have two favorites that aren't mainstream.

I loved '61' about Roger Maris and Mickey Mantle. I thought it was extremely well made and realistic with great acting. It set the scene of that season so well. It's been a while since I've watched it so I really need to watch it again soon.

I also loved Little Big League. This isn't mainstream but they really did a realistic job of a representation of an MLB team going through a season in the early 90's. Takes me back to my childhood.

Johnny Footstool
06-30-2010, 10:51 AM
"Long Gone" - an HBO original movie starring William F. Petersen as a burned-out former player toiling in the low minors. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember liking it a lot.

Oh yeah, and "Teller" from Penn and Teller is in it, in a speaking role.

macro
06-30-2010, 11:11 AM
Eight Men Out

Field Of Dreams

Many years ago, I had my own little tradition of watching those two movies the weekend before Opening Day. I will introduce them to my son soon, and will do so as a pair, since a full appreciation of Field Of Dreams is enhanced by understanding the Black Sox Scandal first.

I've lost count of how many times I've watched Field Of Dreams, but I don't think I've ever failed to get a lump in my throat during the scene where Ray and his dad play catch.

RedsBaron
06-30-2010, 12:11 PM
I've lost count of how many times I've watched Field Of Dreams, but I don't think I've ever failed to get a lump in my throat during the scene where Ray and his dad play catch.

I get tingles and misty eyed everytime I watch the closing scene in Field of Dreams. Just before he filmed that scene as Ray Kinsella's dad, actor Dwier Brown's father passed away. Brown had returned from the funeral and then filmed that scene. As originally filmed, when Kevin Costner asks Brown if he wants to have a catch Costner didn't call him "dad." The word "dad" was later looped into the scene.
There are a lot of other baseball movies which I have enjoyed, including:
Eight Men Out--perhaps the most accurate baseball movie.
Major League--perhaps the most fun.
A League of their Own--a terrific film that always makes me think of my mom and her sister.
The Naked Gun--not a "baseball movie" but the scenes with Leslie Nielsen umpiring always make me laugh.

Chip R
06-30-2010, 12:52 PM
"Long Gone" - an HBO original movie starring William F. Petersen as a burned-out former player toiling in the low minors. I haven't seen it in years, but I remember liking it a lot.

I really enjoyed that movie. I actually taped it off WGN many years ago. I thought with Petersen's success on CSI they may show it more often. No such luck.

SunDeck
06-30-2010, 01:15 PM
Bull Durham, The Natural, Eight Men Out.
In that order.

westofyou
06-30-2010, 01:20 PM
Bull Durham, The Natural, Eight Men Out.
In that order.

Pretty much the only 3 I care about, and even the Natural is disappointing for changing the ending.

Johnny Footstool
06-30-2010, 01:50 PM
I really enjoyed that movie. I actually taped it off WGN many years ago. I thought with Petersen's success on CSI they may show it more often. No such luck.

Yeah, it's not even on DVD. That's a shame.

aubashbrother
06-30-2010, 02:09 PM
61 was my fav

RichRed
06-30-2010, 02:26 PM
Pretty much the only 3 I care about, and even the Natural is disappointing for changing the ending.

I'm not normally a fan of film adaptations of books, but if the Natural were faithful to the book (not just the ending), that would be one dark and dreary movie.

I love Eight Men Out, League of Their Own and Bull Durham. Just below those, I'd have The Natural and 61*.

While I too get a little dust in my eye during the "Have a catch" scene in Field of Dreams, there's just too much cringe-inducing dialogue for me to put it at the top level.

Jack Burton
06-30-2010, 02:27 PM
61*
The Natural
Eight Men Out

westofyou
06-30-2010, 02:37 PM
I'm not normally a fan of film adaptations of books, but if the Natural were faithful to the book (not just the ending), that would be one dark and dreary movie.

I like art films, that's what it would be... they changed teh ending to the Scarlet Letter too.. still it doesn't work any better.

But I do get the vibe of a downer film ruining a great subject like baseball

WMR
06-30-2010, 03:31 PM
My favorite baseball movie is Cobb, primarily because of the tour de force performance of Tommy Lee Jones as the titular character. Cobb also has one of my favorite movie scores.

Kingspoint
06-30-2010, 05:05 PM
"The Natural"

FutureRedsGM
06-30-2010, 05:58 PM

I don't see this on Netflix. Anyone know where it might be available?

WMR
06-30-2010, 06:01 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Long-Gone/dp/B002ALW6MM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277931631&sr=8-2

Amazon has it on VHS. :redface:

FutureRedsGM
06-30-2010, 06:05 PM
http://www.amazon.com/Long-Gone/dp/B002ALW6MM/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=dvd&qid=1277931631&sr=8-2

Amazon has it on VHS. :redface:

Do people still have VCRs? I know my household has no means for viewing VHS.

WMR
06-30-2010, 06:07 PM
Mainly just octogenarians and snuff-film aficionados at this point. :lol:

I'm sure you can buy a vcr on ebay for 5 bucks or something.

The question is: HOW BADLY DO YOU WANT TO SEE THIS MOVIE?

WMR
06-30-2010, 06:09 PM
How close are you to Mason?

http://cgi.ebay.com/Sharp-VC-H956U-VHS-VCR-/290448891819?cmd=ViewItem&pt=VCRs&hash=item43a01a5fab

ONE DOLLAR. SCORE.

Johnny Footstool
06-30-2010, 06:42 PM
I am forced to search the torrents.

GOYA
06-30-2010, 09:23 PM
Not one of my favorite baseball movies but "Bang the Drum Slowly" is a pretty good movie. Bit of a tear jerker though.

BoydsOfSummer
07-01-2010, 02:24 PM
Bull Durham is my favorite movie of any kind.

I have the 'Long Gone' movie on a tape around here somewhere. I taped it off HBO years ago. It is a very good movie and well worth the watch.

LeDoux
07-01-2010, 02:56 PM
I still have a special place in my heart for The Bad News Bears (70's version). I would not say its a good movie, it just brings back warms fuzzies like the Goonies.

cumberlandreds
07-01-2010, 02:57 PM
Do people still have VCRs? I know my household has no means for viewing VHS.

You can still buy VCR/DVD combo units at most stores. I would say there is still a market for VCR's just because there are still many people who have tons of VHS tapes and just can't afford or have the time to convert them to DVD's or buy all new DVD's. Also you can't record a lot of new movies off TV onto a DVD. I've tried to do that on a few movies for my wife and I almost always get a message saying it can't record a protected movie. I then have to whip out the VHS tape and get it that way.

Back to the topic. Eight Men Out and Field of Dreams are my favorite baseball movies.

Ghosts of 1990
07-02-2010, 11:57 AM
I got 'Hustle' (the Made for ESPN movie about Pete Rose) as a Christmas gift two years back. It's really good.

RichRed
07-02-2010, 01:59 PM
I still have a special place in my heart for The Bad News Bears (70's version).

I love Matthau in the Bad News Bears. Giving beer to the kids after the game - probably have to cut that scene if the movie was made today.

BCubb2003
07-02-2010, 08:45 PM
Not one of my favorite baseball movies but "Bang the Drum Slowly" is a pretty good movie. Bit of a tear jerker though.

It's dated, but very smart about baseball. And it features an appearance by Tony Perez.

reds1869
07-03-2010, 12:24 AM
So many of my favorites have been mentioned so far, so I'll continue my campaign to get everyone to watch Sugar. It deals more with adjusting to life in a foreign country and the Dominican players' experience than baseball, but it is a beautiful movie.

HumnHilghtFreel
07-03-2010, 01:24 AM
This thread needs more The Sandlot

LeDoux
07-03-2010, 01:29 AM
I love Matthau in the Bad News Bears. Giving beer to the kids after the game - probably have to cut that scene if the movie was made today.

I didn't see the the 2005 version. I'd guess they did cut that part. However, I am not willing to sit throught it to test my theory.

redsfandan
07-03-2010, 01:57 AM
I really like Field of Dreams alot but Bull Durham would be my #1. But, there's a a few I haven't seen or just haven't seen in awhile. I do like how this thread is a movie thread about just baseball movies.

GAC
07-03-2010, 06:45 AM
My favorite baseball movie is Cobb, primarily because of the tour de force performance of Tommy Lee Jones as the titular character. Cobb also has one of my favorite movie scores.

Loved that movie.

I like some of the older ones too....

Pride Of The Yankees
The Stratton Story

BoydsOfSummer
07-03-2010, 07:35 PM
I got 'Hustle' (the Made for ESPN movie about Pete Rose) as a Christmas gift two years back. It's really good.

Seriously? That is about as bad as a movie gets.

OnBaseMachine
07-03-2010, 10:03 PM
Field of Dreams
The Natural
Angels in the Outfield

RichRed
07-04-2010, 09:48 AM
I didn't see the the 2005 version. I'd guess they did cut that part. However, I am not willing to sit throught it to test my theory.

Neither am I.

I agree with the earlier endorsement of "Sugar." Very good movie.

BCubb2003
07-04-2010, 02:57 PM
I just watched a movie called "Lucky Numbers" starring John Travolta and Lisa Kudrow, where a guy gets killed with a Pete Rose baseball bat. Does that make it a baseball movie? What's the most obscure Reds reference in a movie that you know of?

Chip R
07-04-2010, 02:59 PM
Neither am I.

I agree with the earlier endorsement of "Sugar." Very good movie.

I'd really like to see that.

BoydsOfSummer
07-06-2010, 12:34 AM
Really want to see 'Sugar', even had it on the DVR, but it got erased accidently. Probably by something stupid.

Chip R
07-06-2010, 02:07 PM
Really want to see 'Sugar', even had it on the DVR, but it got erased accidently. Probably by something stupid.

It's been on TV?

redsfanmia
07-06-2010, 06:28 PM
It's been on TV?

It has made its rounds on Home Box Office and Starz.

TRF
07-06-2010, 07:01 PM
Long Gone is great. Especially when Pederson mentions the opposing pitcher's sister at the end.

cumberlandreds
07-07-2010, 10:20 AM
It's been on TV?

It was on HBOS last night in fact.