PDA

View Full Version : Predictions for the upcoming 11-game road trip....

Kingspoint
06-30-2010, 03:21 PM
I'm going with 7-4.

RedsFanInBama
06-30-2010, 03:27 PM
4 @ Cubs 2-2
3 @ Mets 1-2
4 @ Phillies 2-2

I'll say we go 5-6. 6-5 is best-case IMO. Gonna be a tough trip.

The Voice of IH
06-30-2010, 03:31 PM
EDIT: I'll go with 7-4 also

Cubs 4: 3-1 (should be pretty locked)
Mets 3: 2-1 (Should be a pretty good sereis)
Phillies 4: 2-2 (yep)

texasdave
06-30-2010, 03:36 PM
Is Travis Wood going to make 3 of the 11 starts? I suppose it depends on how he does against the Cubs. Volquez looks ready to rock-n-roll.

The Voice of IH
06-30-2010, 03:37 PM
Is Travis Wood going to make 3 of the 11 starts? I suppose it depends on how he does against the Cubs. Volquez looks ready to rock-n-roll.

That is the wild card right there, it depends on when he comes back and what he does when he gets here.

ian_madden
06-30-2010, 03:38 PM
Tough road trip. I'll take a 6-5 trip or a 5-6 trip. Anything more than that is awesome.

Kingspoint
06-30-2010, 03:54 PM
Volquez threw 90 pitches yesterday. I can't see the REDS bringing him up before the All-Star Break.

First let's see how his arm handles consecutive 100+ pitch efforts in the minors.

I hope Travis Wood does get 3 starts. 3 Starts would give us a nice look at him.

bshall2105
06-30-2010, 03:55 PM
5-6
Cubs 2-2
Mets 1-2
Phillies 2-2

Kingspoint
06-30-2010, 03:58 PM
5-6
Cubs 2-2
Mets 1-2
Phillies 2-2

You think we'll go 0-1-2 in the series, not winning a single one of them? This isn't a West Coast trip.

I truly think this team has turned it around. We should take 3 of 4 against the Cubs.

bshall2105
06-30-2010, 04:00 PM
You don't think we'll go 0-1-2 in the series, not winning a single one of them? This isn't a West Coast trip.

I truly think this team has turned it around. We should take 3 of 4 against the Cubs.

I'm a pessimist. I think the Colts are missing the playoffs every year, I never pick Ohio State to win the Big Ten. Just how my mind works.

Kingspoint
06-30-2010, 04:01 PM
I'm a pessimist. I think the Colts are missing the playoffs every year, I never pick Ohio State to win the Big Ten. Just how my mind works.

That's fine. At least I know where you're coming from. I'll adjust accordingly. :D

BurgervilleBuck
06-30-2010, 04:05 PM
Tough road trip. I'll take a 6-5 trip or a 5-6 trip. Anything more than that is awesome.
Ditto. I'm hoping more for 6-5. Beyond that is gravy.

bounty37h
06-30-2010, 04:06 PM
4 @ Cubs 3-1
3 @ Mets 2-1
4 @ Phillies 2-2

Kingspoint
06-30-2010, 04:07 PM
4 @ Cubs 3-1
3 @ Mets 2-1
4 @ Phillies 2-2

That's the scenario I think this team is capable based on how they are playing right now.

Utley should still be out for all of that Philly series, too.

1990REDS
06-30-2010, 04:27 PM
4 @ Cubs 3-1
3 @ Mets 2-1
4 @ Phillies 2-2

exactly what i was thinking

Redeye fly
06-30-2010, 04:36 PM
That's the scenario I think this team is capable based on how they are playing right now.

Utley should still be out for all of that Philly series, too.

I'm going to take the slightly more pessimistic but still successful road trip option of 6-5. I'll say 3 in Chicago, 1 in New York, and 2 in Philly.

It's hard to say though, because it depends on the pitching match ups and this team can still be perplexing as hell. There's been times where it looked like maybe the wheels were going to fall off for them and they turned around and got it together. Then there were times where it seemed like they were going to take off and they messed around and lost to teams they shouldn't have... like 2 out of 3 to the Royals and 3 out of 3 to Seattle. Granted, we were facing Cliff Lee and King Felix 2 of the games in Seattle. But any pitcher is beatable and any game is winnable, as today showed, so I don't think too many people expected us to get swept by the Mariners.

The Cubs series is the biggest, because that will set the overall tone for the road trip... at least one would think. I don't know if those annoying little baby bears are totally deflated yet or not. I'm sure they want to prove a point regardless.

Reds
06-30-2010, 05:18 PM
I'll take 2 in each series. 6-5.

berryluther
06-30-2010, 05:29 PM
We need 7-4.

The Cardinals face Mil., Col. and Hou the next 11 games.

Redeye fly
06-30-2010, 05:39 PM
It is kind of annoying how at least on paper the schedule is coming up in the Cardinals favor so far. We play Seattle 3 games and face both Cliff Lee and Felix Hernandez. They play them 3 games and face neither. We're playing the two time defending league champs, they're playing the worst team in the N.L. West. We play 3 good teams (with the possible exception of the Cubs), they play 3 mediocre/bad teams (with the exception of the Rockies, who are fairly decent).

I'm sure it will even out down the road in the second half or something. But yes, based on that it is imperative that we play well on the road trip. I don't want to be 3 or 4 (or more) games back going into the All-Star break. Granted, that's by no means out of the race, but we've got to try to keep the pressure on the whole way through.

davereds24
06-30-2010, 07:22 PM
The Reds got to play the Indians 6 times and get to play the Phillies 6 times without Utley and Polanco. Can't really complain about the schedule.

I'll be very happy with a 6-5 trip, people tend to underestimate how much harder it is to win on the road, especially on a long trip.

FlightRick
06-30-2010, 08:52 PM
We need 7-4.

The Cardinals face Mil., Col. and Hou the next 11 games.

We don't NEED 7-4; we don't even need 6-5. And the reason why is related to your second sentence. Look at who we play right after the break; let's be realistic about who we're playing on the road this next week-plus, but then let's be equally as aware of who we're facing to finish off the month.

Obviously, I'd LIKE 7-4, but I'll be perfectly happy with 5-6. Not just content, but honestly happy. It's 11 games, all on the road. Four against a hated divisional rival; four against the two-time defending NL champ; and three against one of the only 2 teams in the league with a better record than us. And let me repeat: all on the road. So let's keep it realistic, rather than going bonkers and setting expectations unrealistically high so that we can't help but act all indignant and disappointed come the All Star Break...

I don't think I'd even mutiny TOO badly if we brought this road trip in at 4-7; anything less would be completely unacceptable, but I go back to our post-Break schedule, and how we can get mighty healthy again before the end of the month.

We play 13 straight games coming out of the break, starting with a 7 game homestand against COL and WSH. Not total pushovers/bottom-feeders, but certainly nobody to be too scared of, especially on our home turf; why not aim for a 5-2 homestand? Then 6 on the road against MIL and HOU, who pretty much ARE pushovers; even on the road, we should go 4-2 against them.

And all of a sudden, VOILA~!, a 5-6 start to the month turns into a 14-10 record in July, putting us 4 more games over .500, and right in the thick of things. Then it's an off-day, and I think we actually finish the month with 1/3rd of another home series versus ATL before the calendar technically flips (who are solid, but I vote we owe them for our trip down to their park, and shall repay them by taking 2 out of 3 when they visit here). So just fudge it a bit and pretend the ATL games are all in July, too, and we can even call it a 16-11 month if these series-by-series/chunk-by-chunk predictions hold up.

16-11, even with a road trip that comes in under .500 to start the month and sends all the hyper-sensitive Chicken Little types into fits of apoplexy because it's more fun to over-react in the heat of the moment (and because of one's own unrealistically high expectations) than pay attention to the big picture (and maintain a sense of perspective while making one's predictions). I likes me the sound of 16-11. Yeah, I'll take that and love every second of it!

Rick

Kingspoint
07-08-2010, 03:30 AM
So far, so good for this trip.

3-1 vs Cubs
2-1 vs Mets

texasdave
07-08-2010, 03:51 AM
I love the Chicken Little types. Being passionate about something isn't a crime. To me it beats the Stone-Faced Monotones who only know how to say one thing, These things happen in baseball, these things happen in baseball, these thingzzzzzzzzzzZZZZZZZZZZZ. BORING!! Baseball isn't life. Baseball shouldn't be approached in the same manner. It is meant to be a break from the humdrum, the routine. It is an escape, a diversion. Peaks and Valleys. It is all good. So, to all the Chicken Little Types out there I say, 'Good for you!'. Keep on experiencing both the HIGHS as well as the LOWS. And see you in October!

Vottomatic
07-08-2010, 07:38 AM
We don't NEED 7-4; we don't even need 6-5. And the reason why is related to your second sentence. Look at who we play right after the break; let's be realistic about who we're playing on the road this next week-plus, but then let's be equally as aware of who we're facing to finish off the month.

Obviously, I'd LIKE 7-4, but I'll be perfectly happy with 5-6. Not just content, but honestly happy. It's 11 games, all on the road. Four against a hated divisional rival; four against the two-time defending NL champ; and three against one of the only 2 teams in the league with a better record than us. And let me repeat: all on the road. So let's keep it realistic, rather than going bonkers and setting expectations unrealistically high so that we can't help but act all indignant and disappointed come the All Star Break...

I don't think I'd even mutiny TOO badly if we brought this road trip in at 4-7; anything less would be completely unacceptable, but I go back to our post-Break schedule, and how we can get mighty healthy again before the end of the month.

We play 13 straight games coming out of the break, starting with a 7 game homestand against COL and WSH. Not total pushovers/bottom-feeders, but certainly nobody to be too scared of, especially on our home turf; why not aim for a 5-2 homestand? Then 6 on the road against MIL and HOU, who pretty much ARE pushovers; even on the road, we should go 4-2 against them.

And all of a sudden, VOILA~!, a 5-6 start to the month turns into a 14-10 record in July, putting us 4 more games over .500, and right in the thick of things. Then it's an off-day, and I think we actually finish the month with 1/3rd of another home series versus ATL before the calendar technically flips (who are solid, but I vote we owe them for our trip down to their park, and shall repay them by taking 2 out of 3 when they visit here). So just fudge it a bit and pretend the ATL games are all in July, too, and we can even call it a 16-11 month if these series-by-series/chunk-by-chunk predictions hold up.

16-11, even with a road trip that comes in under .500 to start the month and sends all the hyper-sensitive Chicken Little types into fits of apoplexy because it's more fun to over-react in the heat of the moment (and because of one's own unrealistically high expectations) than pay attention to the big picture (and maintain a sense of perspective while making one's predictions). I likes me the sound of 16-11. Yeah, I'll take that and love every second of it!

Rick

We need to win every game we can. Period. :thumbup:

RedsFanInBama
07-11-2010, 04:22 PM
I predicted 5-6 and I'm still pissed about it. Mostly Friday night I guess.

GIDP
07-11-2010, 04:27 PM
That philly series could have easily have been a 4 game sweep for the Reds.

Cordero really brutally blows up again
Halladay getting the extra 5 inches of invisible plate.
Reds hitters are flat out ignorant when it comes to noticing the situation. Gomes and Cabrera are terrible at understanding that pitchers walking the bases loaded doesnt mean pop out or dribbler to an infielder.

10 times the Reds have been shut out. That is 100% on terrible hitting styles. They do not pay attention. They swing at balls, they continue to give up outs on the base paths, they give up outs for the sake of hoping they get a sac fly.

Its bad, but they still could have easily won 4 of those games.

Shawn_RedsFan
07-11-2010, 04:30 PM
Its bad, but they still could have easily won 4 of those games.
:thumbup:
That's why these 4 losses have been so freaking frustrating.