PDA

View Full Version : Steve Carell Leaving The Office

TheBigLebowski
07-01-2010, 07:43 AM
He's going to stay on until the end of the next season.

In my opinion, he's not the biggest problem - the writing on the show has completely gone downhill. This past season was unwatchable. There's plenty of funny people to replace Michael Scott, but if the writers don't put these people in position to succeed, the show will undoubtedly be canceled.

Razor Shines
07-01-2010, 07:50 AM
http://www.boston.com/ae/tv/blog/2010/06/steve_carell_le.html
Yes, the boss is leaving the building, but not immediately. Steve Carrell, who plays Michael Scott on NBC's "The Office," has confirmed that he will depart next May, which will be the end of the show's 7th season. "I just think it's time," Carell told E!. "I want to fulfill my contract. When I first signed on I had a contract for seven seasons, and this coming year is my seventh. I just thought it was time for my character to go."

bucksfan2
07-01-2010, 08:52 AM
He's going to stay on until the end of the next season.

In my opinion, he's not the biggest problem - the writing on the show has completely gone downhill. This past season was unwatchable. There's plenty of funny people to replace Michael Scott, but if the writers don't put these people in position to succeed, the show will undoubtedly be canceled.

The show still gets good ratings. I have a hard time understand a lot of backlash the show gets. I started watching it about the 3rd or 4th season and I still love it. I also think its ironic that people complain about the writing of the show yet rave about the writing on 30 Rock. Yet The Office is a consistent winner and 30 Rock is on the chopping block every year.

I think Carell leaving will be good for the show. They have had trouble incorporating his character with the advancing Jim, Dwight, and Andy. I think it will be interesting to see how the show decides to end Michael's time at Sabre.

Hoosier Red
07-01-2010, 09:34 AM
Well I think the problem is Carrell's character has kind of been painted into a box where he has to get more and more outrageous.
Call it the Homer Simpson effect. I actually think the show is excellent, but because it has to center around him, I think it holds back a lot of what they can do.

I'll be interested to see how the show does without him.

15fan
07-01-2010, 09:42 AM
The show went downhill when it got away from hijinks on sales calls and corporate training requirements and instead got into who was/wasn't dating each other.

A Jim / Dwight struggle to replace Michael seems inevitable. But if the writers want my suggestion, I think that when Michael leaves, the corporate folks put such an emphasis on cost control and financial performance of the branch that they put Kevin (the accountant) in charge.

As for Steve Carell, my wife was touring a work site with a developer a couple years ago. Developer is related to Carell and my wife mentioned that I was a big fan. Within a week, an autographed 8x10 arrived in my mailbox from Steve Carell.

RichRed
07-01-2010, 09:56 AM
The show went downhill when it got away from hijinks on sales calls and corporate training requirements and instead got into who was/wasn't dating each other.

The Sam & Diane Effect.

Unassisted
07-01-2010, 04:26 PM
I'll bet that the show gets shut down after 7 seasons. 7 seasons provides the magic number of episodes that studios find ideal for syndication. If it continues beyond that, the studio and network will likely have to start paying John Krasinski, Jenna Fischer and Rainn Wilson $1M/episode, like the cast of Friends got when that show's run was extended. NBC is no longer owned by a parent company that would be willing to throw that kind of money at a show.

Kingspoint
07-01-2010, 06:39 PM
As each episode and season progressed, more and more people were sharing "executive producer" roles, and "director" roles, and "writer" roles. So many people have input to the show that it lost a lot of continuity that was there the first two seasons when fewer people had input.

Too many chefs in the kitchen.

LeDoux
07-01-2010, 06:52 PM
The original version was only two seasons (12 episodes) and a holiday finale. The writers believed their characters would get stale if they kept it going. I think the US version went flat once they ran out of material to plagiarize.

kbrake
07-01-2010, 07:36 PM
I think most shows struggle to run for this long thats why few do. I disagree with the theory that the focus on who is dating who is reason for the downfall. I think Jim and Pam were always a key part of the show from the start. As far as this past season there were some episodes that were below average but I thought the wedding and when Pam gave birth were great episodes. It will be interesting to see what happens without Michael Scott.

Kingspoint
07-01-2010, 07:54 PM
I have a Dunder-Mifflin shirt and the Dunder-Miflin board game. I loved the show. Like Taxi, Barney Miller, and a host of others, it's been a great run, but all things must come to an end. Some shows go long past their "funny" time, like Andy Griffith after Barney left.

Razor Shines
07-01-2010, 08:57 PM
The original version was only two seasons (12 episodes) and a holiday finale. The writers believed their characters would get stale if they kept it going. I think the US version went flat once they ran out of material to plagiarize.

I think there is a lot to this. Many of the best episodes were taken straight from the British version.

dougdirt
07-01-2010, 09:06 PM
I think there is a lot to this. Many of the best episodes were taken straight from the British version.

I own the British version on DVD and honestly, I simply do not find it funny in the slightest. I LOVE the US version.

Reds
07-01-2010, 10:29 PM
much prefer the original. david brent and gareth were great characters

LeDoux
07-01-2010, 11:37 PM
I own the British version on DVD and honestly, I simply do not find it funny in the slightest. I LOVE the US version.

I have yet to find a person who likes the UK version once they have already watched the US adaptation. I think it is more difficult to adjust from the outrageous antics of Michael Scott's Office to the more subtle absurdity of David Brent's Office than vice versa. This is my guess, anyway.

Chip R
07-02-2010, 12:00 AM

I think plagarizing is rather harsh since Gervais is an Exec Producer on the U.S. version. But I do agree the show has gotten stale. It's tough for a show to keep fresh after 4-5 years. Even the Jim/Dwight pranks would have got stale after a while. I don't think it's necessarily because Jim and Pam finally got together. They had many good episodes after they got together. I think they have ran out of stuff to write about that is funny.

LeDoux
07-02-2010, 01:52 AM
I think plagarizing is rather harsh since Gervais is an Exec Producer on the U.S. version. But I do agree the show has gotten stale. It's tough for a show to keep fresh after 4-5 years. Even the Jim/Dwight pranks would have got stale after a while. I don't think it's necessarily because Jim and Pam finally got together. They had many good episodes after they got together. I think they have ran out of stuff to write about that is funny.

I guess "plagiarize" may be a trifle too strong. I didn't not know Gervais was a producer, but I do remember him half-heartedly promoting it when it launched. I do think the majority of what is funny came directly from the dynamics of the origional.

I'd like to see an esisode or two that takes place at a paper conference that includes cast of both series. That could be interesting.

jojo
07-02-2010, 03:56 AM
In my opinion, he's not the biggest problem

Thats what she said.

Eric_the_Red
07-02-2010, 08:49 AM
I like both versions, UK and US. But I agree, the US version has grown stale.

Not only is Gervais executive producer, but he has produced versions of the show for many other countries. I guess working for an idiot boss in an unfulfilling job is a universal truth.

Chip R
07-02-2010, 01:09 PM
I guess "plagiarize" may be a trifle too strong. I didn't not know Gervais was a producer, but I do remember him half-heartedly promoting it when it launched. I do think the majority of what is funny came directly from the dynamics of the origional.

I'd like to see an esisode or two that takes place at a paper conference that includes cast of both series. That could be interesting.

I thought I heard something about Gervais doing a guest appearance on the show here in the U.S. I don't know if he's reprising David Brent but I thought I heard something about that a while back.

Joseph
07-02-2010, 01:20 PM
I like both versions, UK and US. But I agree, the US version has grown stale.

Not only is Gervais executive producer, but he has produced versions of the show for many other countries. I guess working for an idiot boss in an unfulfilling job is a universal truth.

I think that is a good point. Did/does the US version 'steal' or 'plagiarize' the UK version or is this sort of thing an across the board idea? I think its more that its commonplace rather than borrowing.

Don't tell a Brit that though.

Joseph
07-02-2010, 01:22 PM
I thought I heard something about Gervais doing a guest appearance on the show here in the U.S. I don't know if he's reprising David Brent but I thought I heard something about that a while back.

Sorry for the double post all....

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Gervais replaced Carell for one final season?

Episodes could center around things like how you can't understand half of what he says :)

savafan
07-02-2010, 03:02 PM
Sorry for the double post all....

Wouldn't it be wonderful if Gervais replaced Carell for one final season?

Episodes could center around things like how you can't understand half of what he says :)

Funny you should say that:

Could Ricky Gervais step in for the departing Steve Carell and save The Office?

http://culturemap.com/newsdetail/06-29-10-could-ricky-gervais-step-in-for-the-departing-steve-carell-and-save-the-office/

Chip R
07-02-2010, 03:13 PM
I think that is a good point. Did/does the US version 'steal' or 'plagiarize' the UK version or is this sort of thing an across the board idea? I think its more that its commonplace rather than borrowing.

A lot of hit shows in the 70s - All In The Family, Three's Company, Sanford & Son were developed from British shows.

Hoosier Red
07-02-2010, 03:15 PM

There was a great New York Times article a while back on the similarities and differences between the different versions of the Office.(At the time there were 4, English, French, German, and American I believe.)

I'll have to try and find that.

Chip R
07-02-2010, 03:19 PM
There was a great New York Times article a while back on the similarities and differences between the different versions of the Office.(At the time there were 4, English, French, German, and American I believe.)

I think I saw that. I think it said the American version is the only one where they actually do any work.

Kingspoint
07-02-2010, 04:25 PM

Same here. British life is so completely different than US, and thus the jokes are 100% different. It's really a completely different show.

jojo
07-02-2010, 04:30 PM

Thats what she said.

LeDoux
07-02-2010, 04:56 PM
A lot of hit shows in the 70s - All In The Family, Three's Company, Sanford & Son were developed from British shows.

I can't wait for the US version of "When the Whistle Blows."

dougdirt
07-02-2010, 05:11 PM
Thats what she said.

Hear that one often my friend? :p:

Betterread
07-02-2010, 09:32 PM
Same here. British life is so completely different than US, and thus the jokes are 100% different. It's really a completely different show.
Don't kid yourself. THe context, the situations, and even the characters are wholly derivative from the British sitcom.
What's different is the affect, and the acting. And its a significant difference. I like Steve Carrell and the US Office is amusing, but its forgettable 5 minutes after the show. Its mindless amusement.
The british show had an edge - that is the difference. The humor cuts deep. That kind of humor doesn't play in America. So they softened the show and the characters - extensively. THe US Office is a watered down version of the original.

LeDoux
07-03-2010, 12:31 AM

I'd watch that.

Speaking of oversees sitcoms - did you ever see the aussie show "The Games." It ran for 2 seasons around 2000.

Chip R
07-03-2010, 12:54 PM
Don't kid yourself. THe context, the situations, and even the characters are wholly derivative from the British sitcom.
What's different is the affect, and the acting. And its a significant difference. I like Steve Carrell and the US Office is amusing, but its forgettable 5 minutes after the show. Its mindless amusement.
The british show had an edge - that is the difference. The humor cuts deep. That kind of humor doesn't play in America. So they softened the show and the characters - extensively. THe US Office is a watered down version of the original.

After watching both series, I would agree that a lot of the early stuff from the US version were also plots in the UK version as well. Dawn/Pam getting fake fired, downsizing at both places, etc. The UK version was a lot racier though.

Chip R
07-15-2010, 02:18 PM
Holly's coming back!

http://ausiellofiles.ew.com/2010/07/14/ask-ausiello-spoilers-office-bones-supernatural/

Unassisted
07-15-2010, 02:34 PM
I can't wait for the US version of "When the Whistle Blows."He's 'avin' a laugh! :D

I like the idea of Ricky Gervais replacing Steve Carell. This is the first place I had read about that. :thumbup:

RBA
07-15-2010, 02:51 PM
If you like the office you might like "The Brittas Empire". I forgotten about the show, but I used to watch it when I was stationed in England.

There are some similiarities to the Office as the lead character is an inept manager of a leisure center.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Brittas_Empire

savafan
08-15-2010, 09:33 PM
http://www.examiner.com/tv-in-national/nbc-s-the-office-looking-at-portia-de-rossi-michael-emerson-as-possible-steve-carell-replacements-1

Portia de Rossi (Arrested Development) and Michael Emerson (Lost) being considered as potential replacements.

Joseph
08-15-2010, 09:35 PM
Emerson and Quinn [Locke] are supposedly shopping a comedy around together.

KronoRed
08-15-2010, 11:30 PM
Portia was awesome on the very cool Better off Ted, I might start watching again if she was on.

Razor Shines
08-18-2010, 08:09 AM
Portia was awesome on the very cool Better off Ted, I might start watching again if she was on.

I loved Better Off Ted, I wish it was coming back but yeah it would be cool if she came to the Office.

gilpdawg
08-18-2010, 08:11 AM
I loved Better Off Ted, I wish it was coming back but yeah it would be cool if she came to the Office.
Better Off Ted was great, but I knew it was too quirky to catch on.