PDA

View Full Version : Hats off to Wood in his 1st start...

bellhead
07-01-2010, 05:29 PM
Great 1st start by the Rookie, wish I could have seen the game and am looking forward to watching the highlights tonight on the net...

IP H R ER BB K HR ERA
Wood 7.0 2 2 2 3 4 0 2.57

Anybody see how he was dealing today and how it looked.

But here's :beerme::beerme::beerme::beerme:to Travis Wood...

texasdave
07-01-2010, 05:31 PM
Wood was all that and a bag of chips for seven innings. Got squeezed a bit in the 8th and the bullpen couldn't pull him out of the fire for the win.

aubashbrother
07-01-2010, 05:32 PM
Hell of a job by travis he threw some NASTY cutters especially the one D.Lee was window shopping on for the 3rd strike. Didnt see many changeups today that I thought I would but great job

lidspinner
07-01-2010, 05:33 PM
If Masset would have pulled that 8th off, Travis would have given up no runs. Great start by the kid...only 23 years old...is that what I heard them say? wow

malcontent
07-01-2010, 05:36 PM
Hell of a job by travis he threw some NASTY cutters especially the one D.Lee was window shopping on for the 3rd strike.

How did they break? Into the hands of RH hitters?

Man, I've waited awhile for a quality LH starter to stick. Hope Wood does.

aubashbrother
07-01-2010, 05:40 PM
How did they break? Into the hands of RH hitters?

Man, I've waited awhile for a quality LH starter to stick. Hope Wood does.

He struck Baker I believe out on one that he started around middle in and cut it right on his hands for no chance. He got Lee looking at one he started off the corner and cut it back to the black. Wood was very impressive today. But to answer your question yes they broke into the Righthanders

Kingspoint
07-01-2010, 05:45 PM
They're already trying to make plans for Leake. So that he's effective and so they don't do any damage to his future during this "Run for the World Series", they might just skip a start now and then with Leake and use Maloney and then Volquez, possibly even LeCure if he gets back healthy.

Instead of 17 starts for Leake during July/August/September/October (not counting the playoffs which could mean 3 or 4 or 5 more starts depending on how deep we go in the playoffs), they could limit him to 10 starts in July/August/September/October.

Even with those 7 fewer starts, he'll still get to 200 innings if we go deep into the playoffs. By not going those 7 extra starts, we could be saving his career, preventing another overused Rookie pitcher during a playoff run from ruining his career.

Kingspoint
07-01-2010, 05:51 PM
What an incredible performance.

I like that Dusty took him out after the walks. You don't let a guy get a loss after pitching so well. Also, by keeping him around 90 pitches, he's giving Wood a chance to become a pitcher who stays with the team the rest of the season and into the playoffs without being overworked.

malcontent
07-01-2010, 06:25 PM
He struck Baker I believe out on one that he started around middle in and cut it right on his hands for no chance. He got Lee looking at one he started off the corner and cut it back to the black. Wood was very impressive today. But to answer your question yes they broke into the Righthanders

Thanks. Looking forward to seeing it, along with that change we've heard about.

Mr Larkin
07-01-2010, 07:14 PM
Impressive start for a 23 year old lefty - that is a mouthful for a true Reds fan. How often have we been able to say that lately? None that I can remember.

Griffey012
07-01-2010, 07:33 PM
Amen. You all are probably as mad as me if you didn't get to watch the game on tv. I can't wait to catch his next start on TV, very excited about having a lefty in the rotation with good stuff and a know how to pitch.

flyersbaseball
07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
Not sure if you get FSC but they are replaying now

The Voice of IH
07-01-2010, 08:31 PM
:thumbup:
If volqueze comes back looking like Woods....watch out

muddie
07-01-2010, 08:36 PM
Volquez stated after his start versus Durham the other night that he thought he needed another couple of starts at Louisville. I don't know that he'll get them though. I agree that he could use another one based on what I saw.

winks
07-01-2010, 08:39 PM
Wood was awesome. to elaborate on texasdave's comment he got squeezed the whole game and still did great. all the reds pitchers seem to get sqeezed a little by the ump(especially the young guys as expected) but they seem to just let it go and pitch. it is about time that whoever the reds call on steps up in a big way. great to see. keep it up