PDA

View Full Version : Who Goes When Volquez Is Ready?

camisadelgolf
07-01-2010, 06:17 PM
When Volquez is brought back from the 60-day DL, the Reds will need to make a corresponding move. I imagine Corky Miller will be DFAed when Hanigan is ready to come back, so you can go ahead and forget about that move.

If Homer Bailey has another setback, maybe he could be moved to the 60-day DL. When is Mike Lincoln expected back? If it's not until August, he could be put on the 60-day DL, too.

Bill Bray will need to pitch well for the rest of the year if he expects to be offered arbitration, so if he does poorly over the next couple weeks, I could see him getting the slip.

Phil Valiquette has a nice fastball, but he hasn't exactly shown much else in the minors, so he could get his papers, too.

The Reds have had a fairly long look at Carlos Fisher, and he still hasn't been all that impressive.

Sam LeCure looked like Justin Lehr Pt. II, and it wouldn't be a complete shocker if a team rich in starting pitching were to put him on waivers.

The move that I, personally, would like to see is for Miguel Cairo to be DFAed, but I just don't see it happening. He's been just barely good enough to stick around, and unfortunately, it will probably come at the cost of a younger player with a higher ceiling.

Anyway, what do all of you think? Who would you move? Who deserves to go? Who do you think won't be around?

RedsManRick
07-01-2010, 06:24 PM
I'd say Lincoln either gets moved to the 60 day or DFA'd. Alternately, you could DFA Cairo and call up Sutton.

What happens with the 25 man, especially if Wood is pitching well. Any chance Leake goes to the pen and Ondrusek gets sent down? Would they let Owings go (or flip him for a C-level prospect)?

TRF
07-01-2010, 06:29 PM
I'd go with a 6 man rotation for a week giving every pitcher in the rotation an extra day plus the ASB. DFA Lincoln, Leake to the Pen to conserve his innings. BUT, he'd be on a regular routine/last man in the pen. Yes, for a time that would possibly hinder the pen but it would only be for a couple of weeks to get him acclimated. Then pick another reliever to send down. Cairo is gonna stick i fear.

Redmachine2003
07-01-2010, 06:41 PM
wow we have to be the only team in baseball to even talk about moving our best starter to the bullpen. If you want to skip a start once in a great while fine but please do not send him to the bullpen I don't see anything good from doing that.

TRF
07-01-2010, 06:51 PM
Who said anything about Cueto to the pen? BTW, he's the Reds best starter, not Leake.

mdccclxix
07-01-2010, 07:09 PM
This mild conundrum may factor in to when they make a deal before the deadline. If they can deal someone off the 40 man to make room for Volquez, that's nice and tidy.

REDblooded
07-01-2010, 08:30 PM
you.

;)

REDblooded
07-01-2010, 08:31 PM
Who said anything about Cueto to the pen? BTW, he's the Reds best starter, not Leake.

++ Leake has been impressive... But Cueto sits people down...

hebroncougar
07-01-2010, 10:06 PM
Honestly, I thought about Volquez to the pen as a RP setup man for the rest of the year. Once Chapman comes up, a pen of:

Owings or Smith
Bray
Chapman
Rhodes
Volquez
Massett
Cordero

That would leave your starting staff as is intact.

Cueto
Arroyo
Leake
Harang
Wood

You could swap out Leake/Voquez if need be when Leake's innings start piling up.

RedLegSuperStar
07-01-2010, 10:08 PM
Cough.. Cough.. Trade!

REDblooded
07-01-2010, 11:58 PM
Honestly, I thought about Volquez to the pen as a RP setup man for the rest of the year. Once Chapman comes up, a pen of:

Owings or Smith
Bray
Chapman
Rhodes
Volquez
Massett
Cordero

That would leave your starting staff as is intact.

Cueto
Arroyo
Leake
Harang
Wood

You could swap out Leake/Voquez if need be when Leake's innings start piling up.

Only issue... If you take that rotation into the playoffs... Prime for next season...

fearofpopvol1
07-02-2010, 01:26 AM
Even with Wood's brilliant MLB debut, I would be surprised if he stays up here when Volkie is ready. I would think he'd be the one heading back down to the farm.

nemesis
07-02-2010, 05:10 AM
Even with Wood's brilliant MLB debut, I would be surprised if he stays up here when Volkie is ready. I would think he'd be the one heading back down to the farm.

Your probably right. Unless they move Harang, which will be damn near impossible...

Harang
Arroyo
Cueto
Volquez
Leake

Owings
Smith
Bray
Ondrusek
Rhodes
Massett
Cordero

It fits. Bailey will be the one coming back in early August to take the starts off of Leake and Leake to keep starts off of him. It's a win win solution for the both of them.

Has anyone in their lifetime seen such a deep group of Starting pitchers in Cincy? I'm 34 and I haven't...

camisadelgolf
07-02-2010, 12:20 PM
you.

;)
Wtf is this crap? I'm reporting you to the mods.

bucksfan2
07-02-2010, 12:22 PM
Wtf is this crap? I'm reporting you to the mods.

Calm down a little.