PDA

View Full Version : Is this offense unsustainable?

Hoosier Red
07-02-2010, 12:56 AM
I was driving home tonight and thinking about the Reds offense. Obviously it's been great, the Reds are first in the NL in Runs, RBI, and OPS.

But who's really playing over their head? In the game threads we hear nightly criticisms of Stubbs and Cabrera being black holes.

Phillips is driving the ball, but really that's somewhat to be expected. Maybe we didn't expect Joey Votto to be THIS awesome, but we knew he'd be pretty awesome. Jay Bruce has been streaky, Hernandez has been the lesser of H&H catching services and that will get better when Hanigan comes up from his injury.

Obviously the exception to not playing above our expectations is Rolen. I think many expected him to be very good, but perhaps not this durable.

So my question, barring injuries, is there anyone who's really set up for a giganctic fall? How likely is it that the Reds still lead the league in OPS and Runs Scored in 3 months.

VR
07-02-2010, 01:13 AM
I was driving home tonight and thinking about the Reds offense. Obviously it's been great, the Reds are first in the NL in Runs, RBI, and OPS.

But who's really playing over their head? In the game threads we hear nightly criticisms of Stubbs and Cabrera being black holes.

Phillips is driving the ball, but really that's somewhat to be expected. Maybe we didn't expect Joey Votto to be THIS awesome, but we knew he'd be pretty awesome. Jay Bruce has been streaky, Hernandez has been the lesser of H&H catching services and that will get better when Hanigan comes up from his injury.

Obviously the exception to not playing above our expectations is Rolen. I think many expected him to be very good, but perhaps not this durable.

So my question, barring injuries, is there anyone who's really set up for a giganctic fall? How likely is it that the Reds still lead the league in OPS and Runs Scored in 3 months.

It's a great question Hoosier. I think Rolen is the only player I see 'coming back to earth' at some point. Votto is who we think he is. Phillips has changed his game, and shouldn't be regressing if he keeps the same approach. I think Bruce is at the low end of his potential right now, especially with his improved hitting off lefties. H/H will most likely drop off a bit as summer wears on. OCab and Stubbs are at their worst right now.

Nix and Gomes have been spotty, but effective in spots. Heisey has proven to be a good stick.

I think they'll be all good barring an injury to Votto or Rolen....because the replacement options are less than good right now.

Falls City Beer
07-02-2010, 09:53 AM
Barring injury, I see no reason at all for this offense to fall off.

Ghosts of 1990
07-02-2010, 10:57 AM
Injury could hurt us.

I think we have some integral parts that are making us better then the San Francisco's and the San Diegos out there. Our 1-6 hitters, even Cabrera; they're good hitters. They're top guys around the NL. Maybe not THE top tier guys but they're right there right now. All of them.

Can you imagine adding David Dejesus and plugging him in center field? I didn't realize it, but the guy has 100 hits and is hitting .333 right now through a half season.

nate
07-02-2010, 11:06 AM
Injury could hurt us.

I think we have some integral parts that are making us better then the San Francisco's and the San Diegos out there. Our 1-6 hitters, even Cabrera; they're good hitters. They're top guys around the NL. Maybe not THE top tier guys but they're right there right now. All of them.

Can you imagine adding David Dejesus and plugging him in center field? I didn't realize it, but the guy has 100 hits and is hitting .333 right now through a half season.

I can imagine plugging him in LF.

pahster
07-02-2010, 11:40 AM
Injury could hurt us.

Four of those six are quite good: Phillips, Votto, Rolen, and Bruce. Gomes' aggregate production is about where I thought it would be (.800-.820 OPS); not bad. Hopefully he has more than one good month in him this season (I too would rather replace Gomes rather than Stubbs with Dejesus).

As for Cabrera...well... he's nothing resembling a "good" hitter. He has a .287 OBP and a 67 OPS+. That's pretty terrible. I hold some vain hope that he'll be replaced, but it seems pretty unlikely. He's been playing hurt for quite some time now and the Reds seem to be doing everything in their power to keep him off the DL.

Falls City Beer
07-02-2010, 01:31 PM
Injury could hurt us.

I'm not sure I'm ready to say the Reds are better than San Diego. They have tons of pitching. As does Atlanta. If I had to pick an NLCS today, it would be Atlanta and San Diego, or Atlanta and the Mets.