PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Tonight

bounty37h
07-02-2010, 12:48 PM
Anyone notice the Reds led off Baseball tonight last night, they were all raving over the team. Know its jumping on the wagon late but they haven't had reason to before now, glad to see the exposure and get the recognition for whats going on in Cincy!!!!

lidspinner
07-02-2010, 12:59 PM
I quit watching Baseball Tonight the second that MLB network came on. I know all dont have MLB network but man they are heads and shoulders above ESPN.

bounty37h
07-02-2010, 01:09 PM
I normally dont watch, happened to be flipping through the channels and saw it coming on and stuck around to watch wanting to get Cards score. They talked Reds for several minutes to open the show, were on top of things overall with current team as well as players coming back, gave them a lot of credit!

NorrisHopper30
07-02-2010, 01:10 PM
They even mentioned Joey Votto and MVP in the same sentence.

foltza
07-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I used to be a huge Baseball Tonight fan back in the Gammonds, Harold Reynolds and Karl Ravech (sp?) days. Remember the commercials in which they re-enacted famous baseball movie scenes? Classic. Then they had to fire Reynolds, brought in Kruk who is terrible and only argues with the others and talks about the Phillies non-stop. Then the Red Sox won the world series and suddenly the show turned into AL East Tonight. If you don't have MLB Network, you are missing out. Much more balanced coverage. It only costs me $5 for the sports tier that includes it, well worth your money.

Vottomatic
07-03-2010, 04:09 AM
I quit watching Baseball Tonight the second that MLB network came on. I know all dont have MLB network but man they are heads and shoulders above ESPN.

Barry Larkin is an analyst. I was never much of a Larkin fan but I like him on MLB.tv.

ian_madden
07-03-2010, 10:13 AM
Barry Larkin is an analyst. I was never much of a Larkin fan but I like him on MLB.tv.

really, and you call yourself a reds fan? :confused:

lidspinner
07-03-2010, 10:56 AM
really, and you call yourself a reds fan? :confused:

no kidding..LOL :) Barry Larkin is Mr. Red to me....When I think of being a Red, I think of Pete Rose and Barry Larkin and JBench. Those 3 are the Reds in my household....but then again, I guess if you did not grow up watching Barry, you would not understand his value as a Red. I think Vottomattic might have been yanking our chains.

xavr1
07-03-2010, 11:13 AM
We only got top billing because we beat the CUBS, one of the ESPN darlings. MLB network is so much better.

Vottomatic
07-03-2010, 11:53 AM
I grew up in Madeira and went all the way through the Madeira school system. My best friend grew up in Madeira but went to Moeller for high school. He knew Barry and I got to meet Barry several times. Very nice guy.

I guess I was a little harsh. But I lost some respect for Barry when Jack McKeon was manager and Barry and KGJ seemed to try and dictate things. I think they left early for their plane the last game of the season without permission. I just took that as disrespectful.

Barry is a sure-fire HOFer in my opinion.

I guess I'm just letting that incident and another incident get to me, where I think he mouthed off about the Reds management in a way I thought was inappropriate.

Great player who did a few things that bothered me. I'll get over it.

Red in Atl
07-03-2010, 01:30 PM
I grew up in Madeira and went all the way through the Madeira school system. My best friend grew up in Madeira but went to Moeller for high school. He knew Barry and I got to meet Barry several times. Very nice guy.

I guess I was a little harsh. But I lost some respect for Barry when Jack McKeon was manager and Barry and KGJ seemed to try and dictate things. I think they left early for their plane the last game of the season without permission. I just took that as disrespectful.

Barry is a sure-fire HOFer in my opinion.

I guess I'm just letting that incident and another incident get to me, where I think he mouthed off about the Reds management in a way I thought was inappropriate.

Great player who did a few things that bothered me. I'll get over it.

I understand those feelings. I've always battled them too, while I thought of Barry as the most important team captain, not named Rose.

As I reflect back now, Larkin always wanted to win, and Cincy management is notorious for being cheap, or do important things rather half-***ed. Maybe his fire was to try to make things right?

He certainly could have been an even bigger distraction given his popularity with the fans and his respect among his peers. Those things didn't really come out full until Junior showed up. And I think that showed Larkin a whole other level of what one player could "demand".

I chock it up to the remnants of the Schott Era, Leatherpants bad Karma and the hopes and dreams of an entire region that one guy (Jr.) could bring Cincy back to baseball dominance. It didn't happen. Oh and one guy (Larkin) not wanting to admit he was getting old.

Yes there were some crappy displays by players and management alike. So just go back and watch the plays, remember the highlights and revel in the seasons of '90, '94 (minus the strike), '95 and '99 and remember that we got to grow up watching one of the best shortstops to ever play the game.

The other stuff will just fade like our memories...