PDA

View Full Version : Wieters 2008 vs Mez 2010

mdccclxix
07-02-2010, 01:42 PM
I know there is a lot of euphoria right now surrounding Devin Mesoraco, and though much of it is both surprising and deserved, is it for real? He's gone from bust in some eyes to being untouchable in other's eyes - even for the indomitable Cliff Lee.

A few days ago, I went looking for another AA catcher that hit so well at 22 years old. Like many of you, I was starting to wonder when he'd be getting his due by the national media. What I found was that, recently, only Matt Wieters can compare to what Mez is doing this year.

At 22 years old between A+ and AA who would you pick?

1 HR per 16 ab's .355 / .454 / .600 / 1.053 - 1.08 bb/k ratio - 40% cs - 3 pb
1 HR per 14 ab's .321 / .384 / .620 / 1.005 - .51 bb/k ratio - 49% cs - 11 pb

It's not easy, right? At least, I never thought it would be this difficult to choose between Mez and the former #1 player in milb...

RedsFanInBama
07-02-2010, 01:44 PM
The passed balls seem awfully high. But I'm glad he's starting to find his groove in minor league baseball. For a couple years there it seemed like it wasn't going to happen.

GIDP
07-02-2010, 01:46 PM
I dont know which one is which with out looking but I'd take both and rank them top 25 in baseball.

Benihana
07-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I know there is a lot of euphoria right now surrounding Devin Mesoraco, and though much of it is both surprising and deserved, is it for real? He's gone from bust in some eyes to being untouchable in other's eyes - even for the indomitable Cliff Lee.

A few days ago, I went looking for another AA catcher that hit so well at 22 years old. Like many of you, I was starting to wonder when he'd be getting his due by the national media. What I found was that, recently, only Matt Wieters can compare to what Mez is doing this year.

At 22 years old between A+ and AA who would you pick?

1 HR per 16 ab's .355 / .454 / .600 / 1.053 - 1.08 bb/k ratio - 40% cs - 3 pb
1 HR per 14 ab's .321 / .384 / .620 / 1.005 - .51 bb/k ratio - 49% cs - 11 pb

It's not easy, right? At least, I never thought it would be this difficult to choose between Mez and the former #1 player in milb...

Now look at Max Ramirez's numbers when he was 22 and 23. I'm as excited about Mez as anyone, but I think we have to relax and temper expectations a bit. He's had a great three months, and a mediocre three years.

RedsFanInBama
07-02-2010, 01:47 PM
I dont know which one is which with out looking but I'd take both and rank them top 25 in baseball.
Based on the BB/K numbers alone, I'm pretty sure Weiters is on top and Mez is the one below.

Benihana
07-02-2010, 01:48 PM

Mesoraco is not top 25 in baseball at this point. Maybe not even close. He is, however, most likely in the Top 100.

GIDP
07-02-2010, 01:52 PM
Mesoraco is not top 25 in baseball at this point. Maybe not even close. He is, however, most likely in the Top 100.

He wont be because no one will be willing to admit they screwed up when they trashed him while injured.

If he finishes this year putting up these numbers? He certainly should be top 25. Politics probably wont put him there though.

mdccclxix
07-02-2010, 01:55 PM
Now look at Max Ramirez's numbers when he was 22 and 23. I'm as excited about Mez as anyone, but I think we have to relax and temper expectations a bit. He's had a great three months, and a mediocre three years.

Mez is slightly outpacing Ramirez offensively and defensively by a bit more right now. But, point taken, he hit a wall at AAA last year. As for Mez's first three years, well, injury, youth, inexperience all played a part. By comparison, Wieters developed at a top flight ACC program before he hit the minors.

Mario-Rijo
07-02-2010, 03:56 PM
Mez is slightly outpacing Ramirez offensively and defensively by a bit more right now. But, point taken, he hit a wall at AAA last year. As for Mez's first three years, well, injury, youth, inexperience all played a part. By comparison, Wieters developed at a top flight ACC program before he hit the minors.

Well put MD I think you make a fine case for Mes being a relatively highly ranked Major League prospect at this point. If nothing else though perhaps Mes' journey has helped some RZ's patience with HS players, for example I hope people remember Mes when Billy Hamilton is scuffling the next year or 2. Stick these highly talented guys down there and let them develop their skills, it'll come if they stick with it themselves and get good coaching.

bellhead
07-02-2010, 10:30 PM
Well put MD I think you make a fine case for Mes being a relatively highly ranked Major League prospect at this point. If nothing else though perhaps Mes' journey has helped some RZ's patience with HS players, for example I hope people remember Mes when Billy Hamilton is scuffling the next year or 2. Stick these highly talented guys down there and let them develop their skills, it'll come if they stick with it themselves and get good coaching.

It's hard to make a comparision for catchers as so few make it before 25 and become dominant players at their position.

Good info though on finding the comparison..