PDA

View Full Version : Dusty wants what??????

BigJohn
07-03-2010, 07:27 PM
http://www.chillicothegazette.com/article/20100703/UPDATES04/100703004

sabometrics
07-03-2010, 08:15 PM
He has the team at first place. It doesn't look like they're going away. Why shouldn't he ask for an extension? Honestly I don't consider myself a huge Dusty fan but there's no reason to shake things up by not bringing him back. This team as it is currently built can contend for the next 3 years at least. As long as he's not asking to be the highest paid manager in the majors (and I don't think he is) the Reds FO would be dumb to mess with what's working.

Of course if there is a Mets style fallout in the second half then things may need to be reconsidered but right now you have to stick with Dusty.

muddie
07-03-2010, 09:24 PM
If I'm Dusty, Im probably looking for something as well. I think it would serve everyone's (Walts's and Dusty's) better interests to focus on the season right now and deal with this later.

Kingspoint
07-03-2010, 10:41 PM
This is Wayne Krivsky's, Dan O'Brien's and Walt Jockety's team.

Any Manager would have won with this talent this season, and many would have done a better job.

Vottomatic
07-04-2010, 02:51 AM
I've been one of Dusty's biggest critics, but although I think he makes tactical mistakes at time, going with his gut, I have warmed up to his ability to create great team chemistry and create a good environment for these guys.

We're night and day from the current Cubs team. Probably even the current Cardinals team, in term of team chemistry.

I don't see how they can't re-sign him. I don't think they don't want to. I think it's how much he's being paid.

sabometrics
07-04-2010, 03:58 AM

Any Manager would have won with this talent this season, and many would have done a better job.

I totally agree with this statement, any competent major league manager would have this team playing at a similar clip, and few could have done better. But I don't think you shake up the nest and remove its leader if things keep going at this current place (1st place or close 2nd place finish). If it ain't broke, don't fix it.

We rant and rave about every little decision Dusty makes but at the end of the day he isn't as bad as the rap we give him would let you believe. Unless his contract requests are totally unreasonable then he will be back.

GIDP
07-04-2010, 08:44 AM
For as much as I hate Dusty the only way I wouldnt resign him is if Barry Larkin came looking for a managerial job.

TheBigLebowski
07-04-2010, 09:18 AM
No extension until the end of the season, depending on how things play out.

texasdave
07-04-2010, 10:28 AM
Why bring it up in the middle of the season? I sincerely doubt if any extension is coming until after the season; so why not just lay low until then? I don't see any positives for bringing it up right now. If
Baker feels he has leverage now, then wouldn't he have even more if he guided this team to the playoffs?

xavr1
07-04-2010, 10:59 AM

I agree that they are the creators of this team. But if we were below .500, the cries to FIRE DUSTY would be much louder than those to replace Jocketty...

I just think this guy gets so little credit when the team is doing well, and so much blame when they arent.

Kingspoint
07-04-2010, 03:10 PM
I just think this guy gets so little credit when the team is doing well, and so much blame when they arent.

That's what being a Manager is all about. Don't screw things up is their #1 goal.