PDA

View Full Version : Votto needs to...

Caveman Techie
07-04-2010, 03:52 PM
Learn to shut his mouth and let the manager argue with the umpires. It's one thing to say something as you walk away, but to turn around get in the umpires face and then throw your helmet. Thats just begging to get thrown out of the game. And all that for a ball that WAS a strike.

GIDP
07-04-2010, 03:57 PM
You need to learn what a game thread is ... :)

Kingspoint
07-04-2010, 03:57 PM
I don't care if he got himself tossed today. If he doesn't want to play today and show his frustrations about not being selected to the All-Star game and not getting the calls at the plate a player who leads then NL in OPS this season should get, then so be it.

No problem whatsoever with Votto showing his frustrations. I'd rather see a pissed-off Votto than a wimpy Votto who just takes it and sits down.

FWIW, it doesn't matter if it was a ball or a strike. It wasn't about that.

Vottomatic
07-04-2010, 07:01 PM
http://www.lockerpulse.com/News/Votto-I-was-disappointed-S196664/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter&utm_campaign=Cincinnati-Reds

I was disappointed, Votto said, referring to not making the NL team. I would have liked to have gotten in on the first vote, but I still consider this an honor to be able to get myself a chance to go to the All-Star game with a pretty good group of guys.

cincyforever
07-04-2010, 08:30 PM
...I wonder what he really thinks.

muddie
07-04-2010, 08:37 PM
So is he in?

BigJohn
07-04-2010, 09:57 PM
I would say he spent the day voting! :)

Reds
07-04-2010, 09:59 PM
He was knocked flat on his ass earlier in the AB, right? That might have grinded his gears.

scott91575
07-04-2010, 10:09 PM
So is he in?

No, he is talking about being in the final vote that is going on now.

Redeye fly
07-04-2010, 10:11 PM
It's not as if it's something that Votto does all the time. In fact, he pretty much never does it. He's usually one of the least outwardly emotional guys on the field, and if he does get frustrated it's almost always at himself.

That, and the fact I really don't know how anyone can definitively say it was a strike. It looked like a pitch that could go either way to me, and while perhaps something like Gameday showed it was a strike or some armchair umps said it was a strike, the actual home plate umpire makes that call, and almost all of them are just so inconsistent anymore.

Now, too close to let go by with 2 strikes... probably so.

muddie
07-04-2010, 10:31 PM
I already considered this fiasco a joke. This just confirms my belief that the AS game is a joke.

nkukevin
07-04-2010, 10:48 PM
You don't think Votto had the all star snub on his mind? God forbid Joey Votto act human once. I felt bad for him because I could just tell he was upset. Now let's go out and get him on that team!

VoteVotto

mrherd05
07-04-2010, 11:26 PM
He showed me again why he is my least favorite Red. I still like him, but he is my least favorite.

That was a dumb, selfish move today.

lidspinner
07-04-2010, 11:37 PM
He showed me again why he is my least favorite Red. I still like him, but he is my least favorite.

see, he showed me why he is my favorite Red.....the guy just got snubbed by the voting....got a ball whizzed by his face, has been getting really bad calls as of late if you have been watching games....its about time he showed some emotion other than just walking back to the dugout....Joey has every right to explode once in a while and sometimes by doing that you get to relieve alot of tension and stress.....lets hope that is what Joey done

cbowen2112
07-04-2010, 11:47 PM
see, he showed me why he is my favorite Red.....the guy just got snubbed by the voting....got a ball whizzed by his face, has been getting really bad calls as of late if you have been watching games....its about time he showed some emotion other than just walking back to the dugout....Joey has every right to explode once in a while and sometimes by doing that you get to relieve alot of tension and stress.....lets hope that is what Joey done

couldn't have said it better myself.:beerme:

Vottomatic
07-05-2010, 12:00 AM

Yeah, let's not like the best offensive player on the Reds and one of the biggest reasons we're in first place to begin with. :rolleyes:

Vottomatic
07-05-2010, 12:03 AM
...I wonder what he really thinks.

I think his ejection in the first inning speaks volumes about how he feels. :D

The Voice of IH
07-05-2010, 12:07 AM
I think his ejection in the first inning speaks volumes about how he feels. :D

yep, I would be scared if I was Manul right now... Joey is going to go off on your team here in a few days. :eek:

webbbj
07-05-2010, 12:25 AM
this is by far the biggest all star ommission of all time. its a complete joke. how stupid is charlie manuel. obv he takes his guy ryan howard. i cant wait till we play the phillies in a few days and votto hits a line drive foul ball right at charlie manuels head then hits a HR the next pitch.

sports writers who actually follow the games should get the votes on reserves and do away with this stupid every team deserves a player. but that shouldnt of mattered votto shoulda been the 1st guy in the game.

HalMorrisRules
07-05-2010, 12:28 AM
yep, I would be scared if I was Manul right now... Joey is going to go off on your team here in a few days. :eek:

Oh yeah that would be textbook definition of poetic justice. That and Ryan Howard taking an o-fer the entire series. :D

Vottomatic
07-05-2010, 12:39 AM
http://mlb.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100704&content_id=11909968&vkey=news_cin&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Besides Pujols and Gonzalez, the Phillies' Ryan Howard also made the NL squad. Howard was selected by his manager, Charlie Manuel, who is the All-Star skipper.

"He's my guy," Manuel said about Howard. "He's my player. My guy. Probably the toughest decision was Howard and Votto. Both of them are having big years. Both of them are standing right there. Like I said, Howard's my guy. Their numbers are close, very close. I have to go with my guy."

Oh really? The numbers are the same?

Leaders in bold. Votto leads 3 categories.

Player--BA--OBP--SLG--OPS...HR/RBI
Votto: .313-.414-.574-.988....19-57
Pujols: .306-.415-.571-.987....20-60
Howard: .296-.353-.506-.859....15-58
Gonzalez: 295-.390-.524-.914...16-51

Howard is last in 4 of the 6 categories.

Lockdwn11
07-05-2010, 12:42 AM

If he is your least favorite Red who is your favorite Red? Miguel Cairo

bshall2105
07-05-2010, 12:46 AM

This is the worst thing I've ever read. You must be a Coco Cordero or Nick Masset fan. You like guys that give you a heart attack when they pitch more than guy who is the model of conistency throughout the season? Votto isn't my favorite player, but there is no way our best hitter should be anybody's "least favorite player."

redsfan_12
07-05-2010, 01:35 AM

I liked it. Let it be known that he was pissed off. Maybe we wouldnt have won if he stayed in the game ;)

ThatPitchIsDunn
07-05-2010, 01:43 AM
Here`s another fun ridiculous Joey stat (ridiculous as in how good he is) that makes it even more mind-boggling he got the snub.

OPS Leaders, 7th Inning and Later

2010 Season, Among 1B

Joey Votto 1.257<< :eek:

Kevin Youkilis 1.073

Albert Pujols 1.036

Miguel Cabrera 1.026

Justin Morneau 1.017

So not only is he a beast, he`s a beast late in the game when it counts. Maybe Charlie doesn`t care about the NL since it doesn`t look like his team will make the playoffs.:rolleyes:

sabometrics
07-05-2010, 02:49 AM
Any time I see Joey let go and let his emotions out I'm happy.

Much better than him bottling them in ... we've seen what happens then.

Kingspoint
07-05-2010, 04:28 AM

I agree. He also came really close to being ejected a few days ago with a similar call, as I'm sure you remember well.

Kingspoint
07-05-2010, 04:33 AM
Manuel's just pissed because the REDS took 2 of 3 from them after they had been on a roll. It sent them on a tailspin that they're still trying to recover from. When we came back and beat Halladay, the day after they lost Utley, it put a sour taste in the Phillies' mouths. I'm looking forward to playing them 4 times in their Park and taking 3 of 4.

Kingspoint
07-05-2010, 04:34 AM
Any time I see Joey let go and let his emotions out I'm happy.

Much better than him bottling them in ... we've seen what happens then.

No kidding.

Redeye fly
07-05-2010, 05:57 AM
Besides Pujols and Gonzalez, the Phillies' Ryan Howard also made the NL squad. Howard was selected by his manager, Charlie Manuel, who is the All-Star skipper.

"He's my guy," Manuel said about Howard. "He's my player. My guy. Probably the toughest decision was Howard and Votto. Both of them are having big years. Both of them are standing right there. Like I said, Howard's my guy. Their numbers are close, very close. I have to go with my guy."

This right here is the kind of thing that should cause them to do away with managers picking the reserves. Nothing against Charlie Manuel or Ryan Howard personally, but why should a manager get to pick a player just because he's "his guy" on "his team"?

Make it a strict players vote for the reserves on the team, or at least some sort of combination that keeps managers from being able to do this. Ryan Howard does have good numbers, perhaps All Star worthy in many years. But it should never come down to a manager saying "well these numbers are close between player A and player B, but player A is on my team, so I'm picking him." I know that's the way it's been pretty much every year, but that's kind of not right, and I would maybe even feel that way if Dusty was the manager picking Reds players over someone who maybe deserved it a little more.

muddie
07-05-2010, 08:49 AM
Its been years since I watched an all star game. The Name 'All Star' shouldn't even be assocoated with the game anymore. Call it the 'Celebrity' game for what it is.

improbus
07-05-2010, 11:03 AM
I could care less about the All Star game, but I think what is lost in this whole Votto blow-up is this. We scored 14 runs getting 1 AB from Votto and Rolen combined. This team is really impressive and really resilient. I am enjoying Reds baseball in a way I haven't in years.

wvu-red-fan
07-05-2010, 11:26 AM

Every person is allowed an opinion, but "least favorite Red"? What is it that makes you dislike him so much?

1. His timely hitting?
2. His domination of MLB pitching?
3. His hustle on every single play, especially on the base paths?
4. His always improving play at 1st base?
5. The fact he is a big part of the great atmosphere on the team this year?
6. The fact that he acts like an all around good guy?

Or, do you just hate Canadians?:D