PDA

View Full Version : Is Hernandez hurt?!?!?!

Redsfan320
07-05-2010, 10:40 AM
He left early in the game, and according to Hal's blog, it was "due to injury" which is about the only thing I can think. Keep in mind he left before the blowout started, so it wasn't a "We're gonna win by a mile, rest up the catcher" kinda thing either. Has anyone heard anything??? With Hanigan still not back... Corky-Castillo, or Corky-Denove would not be the best catching pair.

Redsfan320
07-05-2010, 10:41 AM
Wonder if he's still dealing with "lower backside" issues, a.k.a. hemorrhoids?

Degenerate39
07-05-2010, 10:55 AM
I was actually wondering this yesterday. I haven't heard of anything else about it but I'm guessing if it's serious they'll just bring Hanigan back up

CesarGeronimo
07-05-2010, 11:22 AM
He left the game because of a sore knee resulting from sliding into third on his triple.

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/news/article.jsp?ymd=20100704&content_id=11909016&vkey=recap&fext=.jsp&c_id=cin

Joseph
07-05-2010, 11:23 AM
I'd bet if Hernandez goes out they'd activate Hanigan since he's already on a rehab assignment.

Redsfan320
07-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Crap. Knee injuries are never good, especially for catchers I would imagine.

puca
07-05-2010, 11:48 AM
I was watching the game on WGN. After the triple Hernandez kept bending/stretching his leg. Even the cubbie announcers noticed it.

The frightening thing was when Corky's hand hit Soto's helmet when throwing down to second the very next defensive inning. It was the type of thing that could have easily resulted in a broken hand.

Maybe this was talked about in the game thread, but who is the Reds emergency catcher anyhow? Votto would be a logical choice but of course he was already out of the game and I'm not sure you would do that to one of your stars anyhow.

Mario-Rijo
07-05-2010, 11:53 AM
I was watching the game on WGN. After the triple Hernandez kept bending/stretching his leg. Even the cubbie announcers noticed it.

The frightening thing was when Corky's hand hit Soto's helmet when throwing down to second the very next defensive inning. It was the type of thing that could have easily resulted in a broken hand.

Maybe this was talked about in the game thread, but who is the Reds emergency catcher anyhow? Votto would be a logical choice but of course he was already out of the game and I'm not sure you would do that to one of your stars anyhow.

I'm guessing Janish or Cairo would have to be, though I imagine Hanny will be back tonight regardless.

RedsManRick
07-05-2010, 12:22 PM
Fangraphs mentioned that it was a knee thing.

mth123
07-05-2010, 12:25 PM
If Hernandez is hurt and Hanigan needs to replace him, that leaves Corky on the 40 man roster. That could delay Volquez activation. Watching him pitch last night, that might be a blessing in disguise.

fearofpopvol1
07-05-2010, 12:46 PM
Hernandez being out of the lineup would be a blow to the Reds. He's been above average with the bat. I would imagine as well that Hanigan would come up if Hernandez was hurt or needed to make the DL trip. Let's hope he's just out for a game or two max.

icehole3
07-05-2010, 12:50 PM
when I saw the play it looked to me like he got a nice cherry on his knee, the pants were muddy right by the knee, thats usually a nice cherry

Ron Madden
07-05-2010, 05:57 PM
According to John Fay, Hernandez' knee is swollen and sore. Dusty hopes he will be OK and ready to play tomorrow. Dusty says Paul Janish is most likely the emergency catcher.

reds44
07-05-2010, 05:58 PM
According to John Fay, Hernandez' knee is swollen and sore. Dusty hopes he will be OK and ready to play tomorrow. Dusty says Paul Janish is most likely the emergency catcher.
Janish is seriously the emergency everything.

Raisor
07-05-2010, 06:46 PM
Kind of the chance you take having an older catcher with a history of bad knees as your number one guy. Hopefully it'll work out.

Ron Madden
07-07-2010, 02:58 PM
Hernandez is out of the lineup again tonight for the third game in a row.

TheNext44
07-07-2010, 03:02 PM

I guess he went from day to day... to day to day to day.

redsmetz
07-07-2010, 03:04 PM

The paper this morning indicated he likely wouldn't play today but that he was improving. They anticipate him playing most of the games in Philly.

medford
07-07-2010, 03:05 PM
I'm reminded that we're all day to day, but I'm guessing they DL herendez tomorrow and bring hannigan back and send Corky back down after the AS break when hernandez is read to come off the DL.

medford
07-07-2010, 03:07 PM
The paper this morning indicated he likely wouldn't play today but that he was improving. They anticipate him playing most of the games in Philly.

That's good to hear regarding the injury, but if you can retro actively push back his DL stint these 3 games in NY, plus the 3 days over the AS break, take 4 in Philly and you've only got 5 days to worry about post AS break. If Hannigan is ready to catch I'd bring him up and let Ramon get fully healthy for the stretch run. Perhaps even give him a rehab start or 2 in AAA to catch Chapman a bit.

Ron Madden
07-09-2010, 05:17 PM
The Reds have placed Hernandez on the DL and recalled Ryan Hanigan.