PDA

View Full Version : I would love this deal...

mivers176
07-05-2010, 02:10 PM
Alonso & Homer for Oswalt. Astros willing to eat part of his salary, lets say $2mil of the $16 he's due, that makes him the same price as Harang. We let Harang go after this year and for no addition to payroll, we are replacing Harang and Bailey for Oswalt for this year and the next 2. A clear cut #1 SP that we are missing sorely.

I would also be open to Haren and Greinke but NOT Lee - I dont want to give up the same # / level of prospects for him to only have him for a couple months. Lets make a deal that gives us the edge not only in 2010 but for the next couple yrs as well. We NEED a solid #1.

Also did like the Marmol trade idea (or Kerry Wood?) - dont know if i would want to give up Heisey for him but then again, gotta give to get.

Imagine our rotation for the rest of the season (in any order): Oswalt, Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto, Leake

and then our 8th inning Marmol/Wood with Coco to close it (hopefully ;)

The Voice of IH
07-05-2010, 02:30 PM
The problem I have with Oswalt is that to get him...we need to trade our best prospects...in division. Lee does not have to be a Rental...and that is why I think the Reds are becoming big factors in this whole ordeal. I forgot the details...but I believe the guy on 700 yesterday explained a plan that would keep Lee in Cincy for multiple years, and said that Lee did not have to be just a Rental for the team...That would be awesome.

mattfeet
07-05-2010, 03:25 PM
Not worth it, IMO.

-Matt

BEETTLEBUG
07-05-2010, 03:39 PM
Would anybody be up for Stephen Drew heard Tigers was looking why not us?

Natty Redlocks
07-05-2010, 03:46 PM
Would anybody be up for Stephen Drew heard Tigers was looking why not us?

I think most people on here would, but the Reds appear to be perfectly happy with O-Cab

RedsFanInBama
07-05-2010, 03:55 PM
I guess what it comes down to is the question of whether "chemistry" is legitimate or not. To me that's the only reason that he continues to get run out there. In fairness to him, his numbers since dropping to 2nd in the order are not bad.

I'm not a huge Cabrera fan, but I'm not particularly enthralled with Stephen Drew either. I would like to see Janish play a bit more.

NorrisHopper30
07-05-2010, 04:31 PM
Stay away from Oswalt.

mivers176
07-06-2010, 12:49 PM
Stay away from Oswalt.

Whats your reasons? You have to be able to back that up. Oswalt has been great this year, only 2 non quality starts in 17-18 starts. He had a down year last year but is one of the most consistent SP's and would be far and away our #1

NorrisHopper30
07-06-2010, 12:55 PM
Too injury prone to trade the farm for him. If we're gonna get a rental it should be Lee, but I don't even know about that.

Vottomatic
07-06-2010, 12:58 PM
The owner of the Astros does not like giving up his players and supposedly won't throw in any money to pay for salary of a traded player.

Reds can't afford to add Oswalt's salary while paying Harang/Arroyo/Cordero.

Plus Oswalt is another righty. Reds have all righties in their normal uninjured rotation. We need a lefty. That's why I like Wood.

Only way I trade for Oswalt is if they take on Harang for the rest of the season. We can give them the buyout money for his contract after the season ($2M). Houston unloads payroll. We unload Harang. We gain a better pitcher but are on the hook for Oswalt's salary of $16M next season, which we could probably handle with the departure of Harang/Arroyo. Oswalt has a club option for '12 with a $2M buyout of that option. If he stinks next season, we let him walk afterward. If he's good and we go to the postseason, we consider exercising his option for '12.

Berkman's contract is up after this season. He has a buyout, but I'm sure they don't renew him. They will need a young first baseman. Alonso?

mivers176
07-06-2010, 01:03 PM
Too injury prone to trade the farm for him. If we're gonna get a rental it should be Lee, but I don't even know about that.

Now you are really starting to not make sense.

Injury prone? Since 2004, the least amount of starts in a season is 30. Average # of innnings is 216.6 per season. How is that injury prone??

Trade the farm? Alonso may turn out good, jury still out. Homer is going to be a 3-4 at best. We have plenty of 3-4 SP's right now, basically our whole rotation.

Rental? He is under contract for 2 more years after this year at $16 mil per season. Houston has already said they are willing to eat some salary in the deal. We would get Oswalt for this year, 2011 and 2012 for same / less $ than we are paying Harang. No change in payroll assuming Harang is gone after this year.

Oswalt, Volquez, Arroyo, Cueto, Leake/Wood for the next 3 years looks awfully good to me.

Old NDN
07-06-2010, 01:24 PM
I don't know if a Bailey/Alonso package is enough to get Oswalt, but I'm with ya mivers. The Reds are loaded with 3-4 type sarters but no TOR guy. Volquez is a huge ?? at this point, and can't depend on his contribution. There's not a lot of dropoff from any of our regular starters, except Harang (and Bailey). If we can control Oswalt's contract for 2 more years, then I say go for it. Losing Alonso and Bailey wouldn't deplete the farm system, imo.