PDA

View Full Version : Random Thoughts

BCubb2003
07-05-2010, 06:35 PM
Joey Votto not being on the All-Star team is like the No. 1 team in the nation playing in the NIT.

I hope when Arthur Rhodes gets to the All-Star game he's not intimidated by the veterans.

It's time for my yearly proposal for the On-Base Percentage Derby.

Votto just needs to work on his Stardom skillset.

I hope the All-Star game goes 20 innings and Omar Infante has to play nine positions.

But I guess if set-up men can be All-Stars then utility men can too. Next: Loogies.

At what point will "we might actually have a shot at the playoffs if everything keeps going right" turn into outrage that it didn't?

I think we should promise not to complain about Dusty's lineup if he gets to make one for the All-Star game next year.

Ron Madden
07-05-2010, 06:42 PM
Joey Votto not being on the All-Star team is like the No. 1 team in the nation playing in the NIT.

I hope when Arthur Rhodes gets to the All-Star game he's not intimidated by the veterans.

It's time for my yearly proposal for the On-Base Percentage Derby.

Votto just needs to work on his Stardom skillset.

I hope the All-Star game goes 20 innings and Omar Infante has to play nine positions.

But I guess if set-up men can be All-Stars then utility men can too. Next: Loogies.

At what point will "we might actually have a shot at the playoffs if everything keeps going right" turn into outrage that it didn't?

I think we should promise not to complain about Dusty's lineup if he gets to make one for the All-Star game next year.

Good stuff

Captain Hook
07-05-2010, 06:56 PM

I promise!!!

Actually that has given me a random thought.

If the Reds make it to the WS then decide not to bring Dusty back who makes out the roster the next year?I'd imagine that it'd be whoever the Reds hired but I don't think I've ever herd of this happening.

Jpup
07-06-2010, 11:59 AM
I promise!!!

Actually that has given me a random thought.

If the Reds make it to the WS then decide not to bring Dusty back who makes out the roster the next year?I'd imagine that it'd be whoever the Reds hired but I don't think I've ever herd of this happening.

I think it has before. I can't remember who though. It may have been Dusty.

macro
07-06-2010, 12:16 PM

Billy Martin won a World Championship with the Yankees in 1978 and then was fired before he could manage the AL team in the 1979 All Star Game. His replacement, Bob Lemon, managed the game.

Martin was fired the year before in 1978 coming off the 1977 championship, as well, if I recall correctly.

guttle11
07-06-2010, 12:19 PM

Yep, Dusty managed the 2002 Giants to the World Series and then went to Chicago in 2003 and managed the ASG, so it did happen.

If the Reds made the WS this year and then Dusty didn't manage an NL team in 2011, I imagine the current Reds manager would take the ASG.

macro
07-06-2010, 12:21 PM
I forgot about Dusty. It's pretty sad when you can remember 1979 better than you can remember 2003. :laugh:

VR
07-06-2010, 05:57 PM
Solid gold, as usual. Good work BCubb.

RedsManRick
07-06-2010, 06:07 PM

It's funny how lineup order seems so much less important when you fill it with capable hitters.

Good stuff as always BCubb.

Redsfan320
07-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Solid gold, as usual. Good work BCubb.

Brutus
07-06-2010, 06:56 PM
It's funny how lineup order seems so much less important when you fill it with capable hitters.

Good stuff as always BCubb.

Agreed, though to point out -- the offense was struggling before Dusty moved the lineup around. Since he moved down Stubbs, moved up Phillips and batted Cabrera leadoff (until subsequently switching the two), the offense has really taken off. While it can be debated whether that's correlation or causation, the lineup order of Dusty has made an impact.

Roy Tucker
07-06-2010, 07:43 PM
Good stuff, BCubb :thumbup:

I must say, the 2010 Reds offense has shocked the heck out of me. I thought this club would struggle all year for runs.

Oh well, one of many bad predictions I've made.

Falls City Beer
07-06-2010, 09:10 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v168/scopdom/44d1b4fe932a602f631c7b28a39fe7bf2a3.gif

Big Klu
07-06-2010, 10:42 PM
Billy Martin won a World Championship with the Yankees in 1978 and then was fired before he could manage the AL team in the 1979 All Star Game. His replacement, Bob Lemon, managed the game.

Martin was fired the year before in 1978 coming off the 1977 championship, as well, if I recall correctly.

And Bob Lemon, who managed the Yankees in the 1981 World Series after replacing the fired Gene Michael on September 6, 1981, was himself fired on April 26, 1982 and replaced by Gene Michael again. American League President Lee MacPhail decided to name the manager of the Oakland A's (who had lost to the Yankees in the 1981 ALCS) as the manager of the 1982 AL All-Star Team. That man? Billy Martin.

Michael was fired again on August 4, 1982 and replaced by Clyde King. And during the offseason, the Yankees hired none other than Billy Martin to be the manager for the 1983 season.

The moral of this story is that George Steinbrenner is insane.

Ron Madden
07-07-2010, 04:55 AM

I must say, the 2010 Reds offense has shocked the heck out of me. I thought this club would struggle all year for runs.

I was and am right there with you Roy.

Isn't it GREAT!!! :beerme:

gonelong
07-07-2010, 02:54 PM
Agreed, though to point out -- the offense was struggling before Dusty moved the lineup around. Since he moved down Stubbs, moved up Phillips and batted Cabrera leadoff (until subsequently switching the two), the offense has really taken off. While it can be debated whether that's correlation or causation, the lineup order of Dusty has made an impact.

Most were lamenting Stubbs at leadoff and Phillips in the 4 hole from day 1 though. I thought the move should have been made out of spring training.

GL

cumberlandreds
07-07-2010, 03:13 PM

Same boat here. It's been a pleasant surprise.
You would have never known that if you were watching the WGN broadcast of the Reds/Cubs games this past weekend. During one of the games Brenley stated that this years Reds team were expected to score runs at high rate but the pitching has been a surprise....... Really!?! What type of homework did you do for this series? :rolleyes: Just shows you that most of these analyst just say whatever and don't really dig around to see what they are saying is correct or not. Brenley and Rob Dibble have to be the two worst at saying this type of thing.