PDA

View Full Version : Harang scratched tonight; Wood starting on 3 days rest

MBZags
07-05-2010, 07:53 PM
Reds RHP Aaron Harang has been scratched from his scheduled start tonight with back pain, and LHP Travis Wood will start in his place on just three days rest.

http://www.metsblog.com

NastyBoy
07-05-2010, 08:12 PM
A trade in the works?

sabometrics
07-05-2010, 09:19 PM
Give Harangutang the next two weeks off to get his back in shape. Call up Maloney/LeCure to make a spot start (hopefully just one) until Volquez is ready to join the rotation. This injury is the perfect excuse to give Wood a longer look up here.

GIDP
07-05-2010, 11:44 PM
All in all I think Wood pitched well. He was doing very well until the 5th when he just flat looked tired. Add in that he the inning before hit a triple its easy to see it also.

I think he looks like a good pitcher. Hope he keeps it up.

Kingspoint
07-05-2010, 11:45 PM
When someone hears who will be starting tomorrow, please post it.

Reds
07-05-2010, 11:49 PM
When someone hears who will be starting tomorrow, please post it.

I haven't heard, but I'd put $1 down on Arroyo. He's a gamer.

RedsFanInBama
07-06-2010, 12:17 AM
I was wondering if Owings might get a spot start, but I'd prefer to have him in the pen. Harang probably needs to not pitch. These back spasms have a way of lingering. I guess moving Bronson up a day will give you one more day to evaluate Harang. I think Maloney is supposed to pitch in Louisville tomorrow. Wonder if the Reds might hold him back just in case?

RedsFanInBama
07-06-2010, 12:19 AM
From Sheldon:

Harang saw chiropractor tonight, hopes to pitch tomorrow. Arroyo told he won't start the game. If not Harang, someone might be called up.

So it looks like Harang or Maloney to me, outside shot of Owings.

http://twitter.com/m_sheldon/status/17837062576

BigJohn
07-06-2010, 12:24 AM
http://sports.yahoo.com/mlb/players/7936

Who?

Reds
07-06-2010, 12:29 AM
Guess I lost my dollar. :(

Reds
07-06-2010, 12:32 AM
“We’ll see in the morning,” Harang said. “He got it calmed down some. They gave me anti- inflammatories.”

Harang said his back went out Monday afternoon.

“I leaned forward and heard it pop,” he said. “I could barely stand up.”

Harang has dealt with back issues in the past. He was hopeful about going today.

“That’s what I’m shooting for,” he said.

If Harang can’t go, the Reds won’t move Bronson Arroyo up.

“I could pitch,” Arroyo said. “But it won’t be me. I asked. They said they didn’t want to guys keep going on three days.”

Left-hander Matt Maloney is scheduled to pitch for Louisville tonight. Chances are if Harang can’t go, Maloney would get the call. -fay

RedsFanInBama
07-06-2010, 12:37 AM
I'll go ahead and not-so-boldly predict that Matt Maloney will be on the mound tomorrow night. You don't come back that quickly with these back flare-ups. Even if he pitched, I bet he'd be highly ineffective.

GIDP
07-06-2010, 12:38 AM
Well think about this. They used Jordan Smith and Wood to combine for 7 innings. They only used Rhodes and cordero tonight.

Chances they got Owings and bullpen game? I think its a chance.

RedsFanInBama
07-06-2010, 12:42 AM
Well think about this. They used Jordan Smith and Wood to combine for 7 innings. They only used Rhodes and cordero tonight.

Chances they got Owings and bullpen game? I think its a chance.

It wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't want to see the bullpen depleted heading to Philadelphia, but it's close enough to the break that we could probably ride some guys if we absolutely had to. Plus if you go Owings, you basically are asking Bronson to take one for the team on Wednesday, I think. He'll need to go really deep, regardless.

ILoveWilly
07-06-2010, 12:43 AM
All I know is I'm impressed if we can continue to win under these conditions. Dickerson: out. Bailey: out. Hanigan: out. Sunday Votto tossed, Hernandez one AB and out, and Rolen off day: seven home runs and a W. Nagging injuries now to Hernandez and Harang that calls for replacement today, against a top NL pitcher: still win.

We're starting to get banged up, but guys are stepping up still. I like it. I really hope we can keep this up. I know we can't win every game, but I damn sure hope so.

GIDP
07-06-2010, 12:46 AM
It wouldn't be a bad idea. I don't want to see the bullpen depleted heading to Philadelphia, but it's close enough to the break that we could probably ride some guys if we absolutely had to. Plus if you go Owings, you basically are asking Bronson to take one for the team on Wednesday, I think. He'll need to go really deep, regardless.

Yea I think they go with a legit starter and if it goes bad they let Owings mop as much of it as he can up.

Kingspoint
07-06-2010, 12:46 AM

Kingspoint
07-06-2010, 12:50 AM
ILoveWilly, I just hope we can continue to win 5 out of 8 (.625) the rest of the year like we have been doing ever since we were 7-11. 41-25 since then.

RedsFanInBama
07-06-2010, 12:51 AM
If it's Maloney, how do they clear space for him? Is he up, Smith down, then flip it after the game? Can you even do that? Smith is probably done until we get to Philly anyway.

Harang may have to be DL'd, but I'd guess they'd want to wait at least a couple days before making that decision.

GIDP
07-06-2010, 12:54 AM
If it's Maloney, how do they clear space for him? Is he up, Smith down, then flip it after the game? Can you even do that? Smith is probably done until we get to Philly anyway.

Harang may have to be DL'd, but I'd guess they'd want to wait at least a couple days before making that decision.

They could option wood probably

RedsFanInBama
07-06-2010, 12:55 AM
They could option wood probably

How long does a guy have to stay down before he can be called back up? With a 4-game set in Philly and Volquez not available until after the break, we're likely going to need Wood to start one of those games against the Phils.

malcontent
07-06-2010, 12:58 AM
I'd love to see MM called up, and spin a good game.

And take it from there.

GIDP
07-06-2010, 01:00 AM
How long does a guy have to stay down before he can be called back up? With a 4-game set in Philly and Volquez not available until after the break, we're likely going to need Wood to start one of those games against the Phils.

10 days. If they call up Maloney for tomorrow, option wood, then have harang to some time in the next 4 days pushing Leake or Cueto back 1 start.

ILoveWilly
07-06-2010, 01:00 AM
Random question: I don't keep up with all the minor leagues and all that constantly this year, it just came across my mind though .... whatever happened to Darryl Thompson? Did he get injured? I remember he destroyed it in AA and then had that badass start against the Yankees last year, then he's kinda disappeared. Maybe I've forgotten what's happened to him, but I thought he was going to be in this mix for this team at one point.

GIDP
07-06-2010, 01:01 AM
Random question: I don't keep up with all the minor leagues and all that constantly this year, it just came across my mind though .... whatever happened to Darryl Thompson? Did he get injured? I remember he destroyed it in AA and then had that badass start against the Yankees last year, then he's kinda disappeared. Maybe I've forgotten what's happened to him, but I thought he was going to be in this mix for this team at one point.

Injured off and on.

RedsFanInBama
07-06-2010, 01:03 AM
10 days. If they call up Maloney for tomorrow, option wood, then have harang to some time in the next 4 days pushing Leake or Cueto back 1 start.

Back injuries always concern me, so I'm a little doubtful that Harang will be able to make another start before the all-star break. I guess Lecure could come back for a spot start if needed?

The option with Owings starting simplifies things in that regard, but I'm not sure if it's in the best interest of the team for the rest of this road trip.

malcontent
07-06-2010, 01:04 AM
Nagging injuries now to Hernandez and Harang that calls for replacement today, against a top NL pitcher: still win.

We're starting to get banged up, but guys are stepping up still. I like it. I really hope we can keep this up. I know we can't win every game, but I damn sure hope so.

I agree. This team has been impressive. But Hernandez' knee injury is a concern. I think they should DL him and bring up Hanigan, if his thumb is really OK.

That said, I'll hate to eventually see C. Miller sent down. He kind of epitomizes everything a catcher should be to me.

ILoveWilly
07-06-2010, 01:09 AM
Also, I know he can't pitch tomorrow, but in the situation Harang can't come back and we need another pitcher in the next series, why hasn't Chad Reineke ever been mentioned in the mix for a starting spot? What's the knock on him? He has a 3 ERA now with the Bats.

RedsFanInBama
07-06-2010, 01:11 AM
Also, I know he can't pitch tomorrow, but in the situation Harang can't come back and we need another pitcher in the next series, why hasn't Chad Reineke ever been mentioned in the mix for a starting spot? What's the knock on him? He has a 3 ERA now with the Bats.
Unless I'm mistaken, he's not on the 40-man roster, which complicates trying to bring him up, especially for a spot start.

ILoveWilly
07-06-2010, 01:14 AM
Unless I'm mistaken, he's not on the 40-man roster, which complicates trying to bring him up, especially for a spot start.

Ah ... yeah I guess that makes sense. I'm all for giving new guys a shot though, it seems like most have taken advantage of those opportunities for us lately.

texasdave
07-06-2010, 02:24 AM
When optioned to the minors a player has to stay down there for 10 days. But, I believe, if there is an injury at the major league level that player can be brought back sooner. So if they optioned Wood back and brought up Maloney, and then subsequently Harang could not go, Travis could be brought back up.
Sam Lecure was recently placed on the minor league DL for a strained groin. I don't know the exact status of that, but I doubt they would bring him back for a spot start if
Aaron can't go anytime soon.

Kingspoint
07-06-2010, 05:45 AM

He just had his first start since his new rehab and pitched, as usual, fantastically. Waiting for his 2nd start......

http://web.minorleaguebaseball.com/milb/stats/stats.jsp?pos=P&sid=milb&t=p_pbp&pid=444354

UPRedsFan
07-06-2010, 10:12 AM
What about a Chapman appearance and send Smith down to get another lefty in the pen against the Phillies? Owings could move into the rotation with Chapman as the long guy. On the other hand, maybe Maloney is the better choice. Just disappointed Chapman isn't more ready. This would have been his opportunity to establish himself in the rotation.

texasdave
07-06-2010, 02:01 PM
From Fay Blog: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

I’m guessing Aaron Harang doesn’t start tonight. He was moving pretty gingerly after the game last night. You’d think the Reds would have Matt Maloney here just in case.

RedsFanInBama
07-06-2010, 02:06 PM
What about a Chapman appearance and send Smith down to get another lefty in the pen against the Phillies? Owings could move into the rotation with Chapman as the long guy. On the other hand, maybe Maloney is the better choice. Just disappointed Chapman isn't more ready. This would have been his opportunity to establish himself in the rotation.
If he's not ready, he's not ready. I'd rather him stay in Louisville the rest of the year to try and get him ready to start next season, but it looks like that ship has sailed. Either way, I don't think making Chapman the long guy is the way to go either. He may not pitch for six, seven days at a time in that role. To me by sending him to the bullpen you are trying to do two things: 1) Get some return on the salary he's making this season; 2) Get him regular work against major leaguers.

texasdave
07-06-2010, 02:50 PM
Once again from Fay Blog: http://cincinnati.com/blogs/reds/

The Reds are listing tonight’s starter as TBA (to be announced). Aaron Harang was hopeful that his back would be OK.

But a Matt Maloney is registered at the team home hotel. Coincidence or insurance?

texasdave
07-06-2010, 03:03 PM
Sheep to the slaughter:

The Reds have called up three (if Maloney is actually going tonight) pitchers from Louisville to man the fifth spot. Here have been their mound opponents.

Pitcher Mound Foe 2010 ERA
LeCure W.Rodriguez 5.30
LeCure Carpenter 3.16
LeCure Cain 2.98
LeCure Greinke 3.94
LeCure Hernandez 3.01
LeCure Masterson 4.85

Wood Silva 2.96
Wood Pelphrey 3.39
Maloney Santana 3.41

Welcome to The Show.

texasdave
07-06-2010, 04:51 PM
Left-hander Matt Maloney is here.

“I’m planning on pitching,” he said. “They are going to let know closer to game time.”

Aaron Harang is not sure if he can start or not.

“I haven’t talk to them yet,” Harang said.

GIDP
07-06-2010, 04:52 PM
I think its Maloney tonight.

sabometrics
07-06-2010, 04:53 PM
Sheep to the slaughter:

The Reds have called up three (if Maloney is actually going tonight) pitchers from Louisville to man the fifth spot. Here have been their mound opponents.

Pitcher Mound Foe 2010 ERA
LeCure W.Rodriguez 5.30
LeCure Carpenter 3.16
LeCure Cain 2.98
LeCure Greinke 3.94
LeCure Hernandez 3.01
LeCure Masterson 4.85

Wood Silva 2.96
Wood Pelphrey 3.39
Maloney Santana 3.41
Welcome to The Show.

And the Reds are 4-4 in those starts with 2 QS from LeCure and one from Wood. They've done their job in the 5 slot well.

texasdave
07-07-2010, 06:16 PM
A near-quality start by Matt Maloney. I hope Seattle was paying attention. His control means he probably won't walk many hitters. And their ballpark, where long fly balls usually end up in the glove of Franklin Gutierrez, would be perfect for Maloney. He could be a useful starting pitcher for them, IMO.

Kingspoint
07-07-2010, 10:55 PM
.....and Thompson injured himself tonight and left the game in the 2nd inning. He was pitching badly at the time and made a play on a ball, missed the ball for an error and then was taken out because of an injury.

Kingspoint
07-07-2010, 10:57 PM
Chapman is so not ready that he couldn't even get through 1 inning with a six run lead. He threw 34 pitches and had a couple of walks, a hit batsman, a Wild Pitch, a Passed Ball, and a couple of K's. He and nobody else had any idea where his pitches were going to end up once they left his hand.