PDA

View Full Version : Baseball Tonight NL MVP choices

RedsFanInBama
07-05-2010, 10:57 PM
Just was watching baseball tonight during a MLB Network break and they were doing their midseason NL MVP choices. It quickly affirmed my preference for MLB Network.

Valentine - Martin Prado
Nomar - Adrian Gonzalez
Kruk - David Wright

No mention of Joey Votto. I guess since he didn't make the All-Star game they have a point. :rolleyes:

goreds2
07-05-2010, 11:02 PM
Just was watching baseball tonight during a MLB Network break and they were doing their midseason NL MVP choices. It quickly affirmed my preference for MLB Network.

Valentine - Martin Prado
Nomar - Adrian Gonzalez
Kruk - David Wright

No mention of Joey Votto. I guess since he didn't make the All-Star game they have a point. :rolleyes:

They were just raving about Votto a few minutes ago saying he is one of the best players in the NL. ESPN Baseball Tonight loved Joey's comments made during the FSN post game show tonight. (Just worried about the team etc.)

GIDP
07-05-2010, 11:03 PM

Valentine - Martin Prado
Nomar - Adrian Gonzalez
Kruk - David Wright

Kruk said yesterday Votto was the first half MVP rofl.

RedsFanInBama
07-05-2010, 11:04 PM
I guess Votto's 3-for-4, 2-homer game knocked him down Kruk's MVP list.

goreds2
07-05-2010, 11:07 PM
ESPN also seems to be campaigning for Votto to get voted in the all-star game. :pray:

sabometrics
07-05-2010, 11:11 PM
Martin Prado? Looks like Valentine is already starting his campaign to become the Braves new skipper.

Wright is understandable. Plenty of good arguments for him to be up there in consideration. We saw tonight just how good he is.

Gonzalez isn't a totally unreasonable choice. He has great numbers (not the best), but then again he's playing in a cavernous home field. I haven't seen him play since April (? - whenever the last time they were in town was) but just going on his numbers he is a contender.

Magdal
07-05-2010, 11:21 PM
Kruk said yesterday Votto was the first half MVP rofl.It's pretty obvious that Kruk's "Opinions" are written by the producers. Take that earpiece out of his head and he would be mute.

RedsFanInBama
07-05-2010, 11:23 PM
ESPN also seems to be campaigning for Votto to get voted in the all-star game. :pray:

Tomorrow they'll be campaigning for Heath Bell or Billy Wagner.

krm1580
07-06-2010, 10:49 AM
If you subscribe to the belief the award is for the most valuable player and not the best player, being as unbiased as I can be, I think Adrian Gonzales is the guy and I don't think its close.

I know the stadium they play in suppresses offense as do most of the stadiums in the west but they do not have another full time guy on that team OPSing better than .747. To put that in perspective Reds whipping boy Drew Stubbs with his current numbers would be the second best hitter on the team.

I think Votto will have a hard time winning MVP unless he really goes off the chart in the second half for the simple reason that he and Rolen have both spent some time being the lead dog on the Reds offense and at the end of the day will most likely split any Red vote enough to the point neither will win.

UPRedsFan
07-07-2010, 11:38 AM
Last night the baseball tonight geniuses were quoting a scout who said something to the effect if Votto and Pujols were in the same lineup he would advise pitching around Votto right now to get to Pujols. The geniuses scoffed at that assessment, with no mention of Votto's superior numbers right now. These guys just aren't very current.

I agree the baseball network guys are much better informed.

Pony Boy
07-07-2010, 03:28 PM
Last night the baseball tonight geniuses were quoting a scout who said something to the effect if Votto and Pujols were in the same lineup he would advise pitching around Votto right now to get to Pujols. The geniuses scoffed at that assessment, with no mention of Votto's superior numbers right now. These guys just aren't very current.

I agree the baseball network guys are much better informed.

Well that is a pretty dumb statement even if you think that Votto is an equal or even slightly better hitter. Why would you pitch around one guy (Votto) to get to another guy (Pujols) that is a roughly equal batter? So you add another baserunner just to get to a roughly equal hitter? It is a stupid example.

mound_patrol
07-07-2010, 03:35 PM
Well that is a pretty dumb statement even if you think that Votto is an equal or even slightly better hitter. Why would you pitch around one guy (Votto) to get to another guy (Pujols) that is a roughly equal batter? So you add another baserunner just to get to a roughly equal hitter? It is a stupid example.

The scout was simply pointing out that if you HAD to pitch to one of the 2 he'd advise his team to pitch to pujols at this time.

Kingspoint
07-07-2010, 10:01 PM
And, Joe Mauer makes them both look like Minor Leaguers.

Kingspoint
07-07-2010, 10:02 PM
...and Cabrera is currently winning the Triple Crown.