PDA

View Full Version : Harang To The DL

brm7675
07-06-2010, 03:53 PM
With the depth we have at pitching, and given how "back" issues can really effect the way a pitcher pitches, I am baffled as to why the Reds don't DL Harang effective last Thursday. He would be able to come off soon after the All Star break. Let him get treatment and such. Why risk it? Also, if Hernandez can't go, get Harrigan up here, I don't care if he is hitting .200, he can at least play. This are simple moves to make...

RedsFanInBama
07-06-2010, 04:00 PM
I agree on Harang for sure. Back injuries that flare up as badly as his apparently did don't go away in a day or two.

I also agree on Hernandez/Hanigan, but are we sure that the injury to Hernandez is significant?

brm7675
07-06-2010, 04:02 PM
He can't start or play and they are "talking" about who the backup/backup (Janish) catcher is if Corkey goes down. Why risk it....

Reds
07-06-2010, 04:22 PM
I believe Ramon has been getting treatment so he could play if it came to it, otherwise a roster move should have/would have been made.

Kingspoint
07-06-2010, 04:23 PM
Because they might be trying to trade him. No better way to show that he's healthy than to not put him on the DL.

brm7675
07-06-2010, 04:26 PM
trade who?

Reds
07-06-2010, 04:27 PM
he has to be referring to Frankenstein

Reds
07-06-2010, 05:03 PM
Harang on the DL with lower back spasms. Eligible to come off July 16. Maloney to start tonight

-fay via twitter 5PM

Kingspoint
07-06-2010, 05:11 PM
See how these things kind of have a way of always taking care of themselves.

So many were wondering where Maloney, Chapman, Wood and Volquez would get their opportunities.

As it's turned out, even LeCure had an opportunity. Wood is having his. Chapman has proved he's far from ready and will have to become a starter for the team next season.

And, people have been screaming to trade away our starting pitching.

You can never have enough starting pitching and you need 8 starters, not 5, going into a season in order be secure about your chances of getting through a season without using someone who doesn't belong in the Majors.

So far, the REDS, because of their outstanding starting pitching depth, have been able to put out "decent" starters as injuries to Bailey and Harang have come up. Add to that the maturation process of Chapman, and we barely have enough starting pitching to get us through this season. Volquez has about 3 or 4 more starts in AAA and we should see him take someone's spot around the 21st of July. Who that might be, I have no idea, as these things always "have a way of working themselves out". Harang will be off the DL just before then, so maybe one or two starts for Harang to prove he's healthy and then he's traded away so that Volquez can take his spot. Maybe we do acquire that "ACE" so that the ACE can take over for Mike Leake, who's going to have to be shut down for the season in 4-6 weeks.

muddie
07-06-2010, 05:12 PM
Maloney on five days rest.

scott91575
07-06-2010, 05:14 PM
And, people have been screaming to trade away our starting pitching.

Weren't you just in another thread talking about trading Harang (or should I say lamenting the possibility he could go on the DL and hurting a trade).

Kingspoint
07-06-2010, 05:16 PM
Our depth is being tested now with Harang and Bailey out and Chapman going through his maturation process (he's done for the year as a Starter).

Vottomatic
07-06-2010, 05:17 PM
Baloney.

I mean Maloney.

ILoveWilly
07-06-2010, 05:18 PM
If we win tonight, that will be very impressive, that's all I know.

Kingspoint
07-06-2010, 05:18 PM
Weren't you just in another thread talking about trading Harang (or should I say lamenting the possibility he could go on the DL and hurting a trade).

Getting rid of him, yes. That is my hope. I don't want him going away because he's on the DL, because like "What about Bob?", he's still here.

I would like to upgrade Harang with Volquez or Wood, or Maloney. Maloney won't pitch worse than Harang, and we'll be developing a pitcher.

mound_patrol
07-06-2010, 05:19 PM
They have DLed Harang now. Good move by the Reds. Pitch the healthy guy

Reds
07-06-2010, 05:22 PM
I don't want him going away because he's on the DL, because like "What about Bob?", he's still here.

http://i.cdn.turner.com/v5cache/TCM/Images/Dynamic/i64/WhatAboutBob1991_FF_300x225_012320081147.gif
This man is a genius! You've cured me you genius!

Kingspoint
07-06-2010, 05:37 PM
If we win tonight, that will be very impressive, that's all I know.

We have the best lineup in all of baseball hitting against the METS. We have a great chance of winning tonight.

ILoveWilly
07-06-2010, 05:44 PM
We have the best lineup in all of baseball hitting against the METS. We have a great chance of winning tonight.

Well Hernandez/Hanigan are out, and Maloney is very unproven, and we're going up against maybe a future HOF'er. It's not going to be easy, but winning twice with minor league call ups in a row against two of the top pitchers in the game on the road would be VERY impressive. I hope Maloney gives us a quality start or more.

ian_madden
07-06-2010, 06:51 PM
Well Hernandez/Hanigan are out, and Maloney is very unproven, and we're going up against maybe a future HOF'er. It's not going to be easy, but winning twice with minor league call ups in a row against two of the top pitchers in the game on the road would be VERY impressive. I hope Maloney gives us a quality start or more.

And the wonder child that is Jordan Smith pitched 2+ innings last night so he is out of it tonight. We need a big start from Maloney.