PDA

View Full Version : Harang to DL; Maloney to Start Tonight

reds44
07-06-2010, 05:00 PM
Per Mark Sheldon via twitter.

Harang can come off the DL July 16.

RedsManRick
07-06-2010, 05:02 PM
If there's ever a time to get injured during the season, this is it. I'm glad Maloney will get a chance. It's going to be VERY interesting to see what this rotation looks like coming out of the break.

reds44
07-06-2010, 05:04 PM
People are going to be pitching for jobs the next couple weeks with Volquez and Harang coming back shortly after the break.

TRF
07-06-2010, 05:05 PM
Just a little info...

Maloney's season stats:

W L ERA G GS CG SHO IP H R ER HR HB BB SO WHIP
6 5 3.50 15 15 0 0 82.1 79 40 32 5 3 20 68 1.20

Far East
07-06-2010, 05:06 PM
This should make a lot of Reds' southpaws available for the series in Philly.

Kc61
07-06-2010, 05:13 PM
I probably would have started Micah Owings tonight and brought up Maloney for Philadelphia.

Mets have a heavily righty lineup and pitching a lefty like Maloney is asking for trouble.

He'll be helped by the big ballpark, but the Mets lineup is a bad matchup for him.

VR
07-06-2010, 05:16 PM
I like the Owings idea....but the bullpen has pitched 14 innings in the last 4 games.....If he got rocked early it could be a disaster.

Big Klu
07-06-2010, 05:19 PM
I probably would have started Micah Owings tonight and brought up Maloney for Philadelphia.

Mets have a heavily righty lineup and pitching a lefty like Maloney is asking for trouble.

He'll be helped by the big ballpark, but the Mets lineup is a bad matchup for him.

Maloney will pitch Sunday in Philly, too.

PuffyPig
07-06-2010, 05:19 PM

Maloney will pitch against the Phillies on Sunday.

If you pitched Owings tonight and used Maloney against the Phillies, which one of our RH starters (Cueto or Leake) did you want to miss a start?

Matchups are great, but starting Owings against anyone is likely not a good idea.

Reds1
07-06-2010, 05:42 PM
You can never have enough pitching. Right now Maloney, Wood, and Leake. Who would have thought. I did see Maloney at the only game I sent too in Louisville and he looked very good. I think he gave up like only 1 hit through 7, but I forgot his line as the bats got no hit that night. It was a very boring game. :)

Kc61
07-06-2010, 05:42 PM
Maloney will pitch against the Phillies on Sunday.

If you pitched Owings tonight and used Maloney against the Phillies, which one of our RH starters (Cueto or Leake) did you want to miss a start?

Matchups are great, but starting Owings against anyone is likely not a good idea.

There are no off-days, nobody misses a start.

Reds have six games before the all-star break. I'd go with:

Owings, Arroyo, Cueto, Leake, Wood, Maloney.

As for Owings, he's been ok of late. I'd prefer throwing him for five or six innings tonight. Hopefully Maloney will have his stuff tonight and prove me wrong. Hope he does.

CTA513
07-06-2010, 06:11 PM
Owings probably isn't ready to go deep into a game after only pitching about 2-3 innings when he does pitch.

CesarGeronimo
07-06-2010, 06:16 PM
There are no off-days, nobody misses a start.

Reds have six games before the all-star break. I'd go with:

Owings, Arroyo, Cueto, Leake, Wood, Maloney.

As for Owings, he's been ok of late. I'd prefer throwing him for five or six innings tonight. Hopefully Maloney will have his stuff tonight and prove me wrong. Hope he does.

I thought Volquez was going to start one game before the all-star break?

Matt700wlw
07-06-2010, 06:19 PM
I thought Volquez was going to start one game before the all-star break?

It looks like they're going to wait now. They don't feel he's quite ready.

RedLegSuperStar
07-06-2010, 06:25 PM
So who feels comfortable with this rotation the second half?

CesarGeronimo
07-06-2010, 06:28 PM
It looks like they're going to wait now. They don't feel he's quite ready.

Thanks, I missed that. I'm glad they're not putting him in there until he's ready.

Roy Tucker
07-06-2010, 06:39 PM
Not to be all gloom and doom, but if this is the same Matt Maloney I've seen pitch before, he's going to get lit up like a Christmas tree tonight. He's a AAAA pitcher if I've ever seen one.

I will be very happy to be wrong. Maybe he'll catch the Reds' mojo.

RBA
07-06-2010, 06:45 PM
Time to acquire Cliff Lee.

redsmetz
Not to be all gloom and doom, but if this is the same Matt Maloney I've seen pitch before, he's going to get lit up like a Christmas tree tonight. He's a AAAA pitcher if I've ever seen one.

Not to quibble, but are all things written in stone? Can a pitcher never improve? You might be right in your assessment of Maloney, but then again, many a team has needed someone like him for exactly the situation we find ourselves in. I'm hoping for the best, as I think you are too, but I'm not sure I'd straitjacket the guy with one label or another.

11larkin11

He's become quite the groundball pitcher in AAA, whereas last year he was pretty much only a flyball pitcher. But even if he reverts, if you're going to be a flyball pitcher, Citi Field is the place to do it.

Roy Tucker
07-06-2010, 06:50 PM
Not to quibble, but are all things written in stone? Can a pitcher never improve? You might be right in your assessment of Maloney, but then again, many a team has needed someone like him for exactly the situation we find ourselves in. I'm hoping for the best, as I think you are too, but I'm not sure I'd straitjacket the guy with one label or another.

Nah, nothing is etched in stone and I hope he's improved. I very much want to be wrong.

But I've seen too much bad piching over the past 10 years and Maloney strikes me as one of those guys.

Here's to hoping I'm an idiot.

membengal
07-06-2010, 06:52 PM
Roy, his ground ball rate is up in the last year. He's apparently made some changes that have had a somewhat positive impact.

I think he has a chance to be just fine this week.

RBA
07-06-2010, 06:55 PM
It's hot in New York tonight. Hopefully, Citi-Field keeps Mets flys inside the ballpark.

Ron Madden
07-07-2010, 05:24 AM

I agree with Roy here and also hope that we are both wrong.

Maloney has seemed to be very hittable in AAA this season. I have my concerns about him pitching to major league hitters in hitter friendly ballparks such as those in Philadelphia, Houston,St. Louis, Milwaukee, Pittsburgh or Cincinnati.

I'll say it again, I HOPE I'M WRONG.

membengal
07-07-2010, 07:54 AM
Well, he's not supposed to be a long-term solution, but an emergency fill-in this week. And I think he can handle that. He handled it last night. He kept them in the game and gave them a chance to win on most nights. Even last night, I suppose, when they spent the night hypnotized by Johan Santana.

Roy Tucker
07-07-2010, 08:03 AM
Well, he's not supposed to be a long-term solution, but an emergency fill-in this week. And I think he can handles that. He handled it last night. He kept them in the game and gave them a chance to win on most nights. Even last night, I suppose, when they spent the night hypnotized by Johan Santana.

Yep, I view Maloney as a 5th starter and I'll take the outing he had last night.

I knew Dusty was trying to get him through the 6th inning, but I think he left him in 2 batters too long. He looked pretty gassed on a very hot evening after 100 pitches.