PDA

View Full Version : Felipe Lopez on the Reds

reds44
07-07-2010, 02:08 PM
Got this from the Sun Deck:

"The Reds are really hot right now and we're not even close to hot. And we're still right there. So once we click there's not going to be a chance for nobody."

Have at it.

TRF
07-07-2010, 02:13 PM
How are they going to click? Freese is DL'd. Ludwick? DL'd holes at SS and 2B defensively. No RF. And Carpenter is... sliding.

meh. That said, they are right there aren't they?

nate
07-07-2010, 02:20 PM
The double negative is awesome.

kbrake
07-07-2010, 02:22 PM
I added this in another thread last night but it probably does deserve its own thread. I'm really not concerned about the Cards right now. They have a boat load of issues and if the Reds add a Lee or Haren I think they become the favorites.

Tommyjohn25
07-07-2010, 02:22 PM
Sounds to me like they are getting a little nervous. Good.

OesterPoster
07-07-2010, 02:39 PM
Spent some time reading a Cards' forum earlier today. It was awesome.

Hoosier Red
07-07-2010, 02:41 PM
As I said in the post, no one outside of maybe Johnny Gomes is playing over his head on the Reds.

The Reds lead the league in many offensive categories despite stretches from Orlando Cabrera and Drew Stubbs that would make Wily Taveras blush. While those two will not set the world on fire, I think it's reasonable to assume that they will have many weeks better than their worst ones in the first half of the season.
The Reds lost the better offensive option at catcher, though he's coming back soon, and players like Arroyo are notorious second half players.

I'd say the Reds are just getting warmed up.

RedsManRick
07-07-2010, 02:43 PM
Methinks thou doth protest too much.

Cyclone792
07-07-2010, 02:46 PM
That's some nice locker room material for the Reds to hang up. Put that quote in a beautiful frame, and make every player walk past it before every game.

Then in August when the Cards come to town, drill Lopez with a pitch.

Always Red
07-07-2010, 02:49 PM
I kind of feel badly for FeLo; he's played for so many losing teams, and this is his shot at being a winner.

Even the half year that he played for the Cards in 2008- they finished 4th.

Hmmm.... maybe it's the Lopez Factor? :cool:

TheNext44
07-07-2010, 02:50 PM
That's some nice locker room material for the Reds to hang up. Put that quote in a beautiful frame, and make every player walk past it before every game.

Then in August when the Cards come to town, drill Lopez with a pitch.

Or just sweep them :)

TheNext44
07-07-2010, 02:52 PM
Spent some time reading a Cards' forum earlier today. It was awesome.

Me too. I thought I was on Redszone any of these last ten years at this point of the season.

Cyclone792
Or just sweep them :)

Well sure, that's understood.

But a few of those guys could use getting drilled. Carpenter, Rasmus and now Lopez.

medford
When he went all double negative, I wonder if Felipe really meant "We (the cards) were hot early in the season, while the reds where struggling thru April. But once they turned it on in May and started clicking, watch out there never really was a chance for us"

I think Felipe is forgetting that Holiday has been clicking the last 3-4 weeks like many thought he would, Pujols is having an MVP type year so far (just not as good as Votto) and the starting pitching has been pretty good. I don't think they're struggling as much as he thinks they are, more like playing to about as good as the talent level would suggest, perhaps a notch below, but they're not as good, nor as complete a ball club as they were a few seasons ago. With all that said, its not that surprising, any big league team that sits 2 games out near the mid-way point should be thinking they can play a little better than they have so far and then everyone will have to "watch out"

Ron Madden
07-07-2010, 02:54 PM
This is really nothing new, some players like to talk.

When the Dodgers had a huge lead over the Reds back in the 70s Pete Rose said we're in 2nd place but the Dodgers are chasing us.

Ron Cey said if Cincinnati catches us I'll eat my hat.

The Reds went on to win the division and Cey's hat stayed on his head.

Ghosts of 1990
07-07-2010, 03:10 PM
That's All-Star english by the former All-Star

Tom Servo
07-07-2010, 03:14 PM
Am I the only one who looked quickly and read this as "Felipe Lopez to the Reds"?

RichRed
07-07-2010, 03:21 PM
Am I the only one who looked quickly and read this as "Felipe Lopez to the Reds"?

Nope, I thought the same.

15fan
07-07-2010, 03:37 PM
Reds have a chance to put some distance between themselves & the Cards between the ASB and St. Louis coming to Cincinnati in early August.

Cincinnati: 3 vs. Colorado, 4 vs. Washington, 3 @ Houston, 3 @ Milwaukee, 3 vs. Atlanta, 3 @ Pittsburgh, 3 @ Chicago

St. Louis: 4 vs. LA, 4 vs. Philly, 3 @ Chicago, 3 @ NY, 3 vs. Pittsburgh, 3 vs. Houston, 3 @ Florida

A slim lead going into the ASB could turn into a 4-5 game lead by the time St. Loo arrives in August (after the trade deadline). The schedule definitely favors the Cards the last 6 weeks of the season, as the Reds who rarely play well out west will still have road series remaining against SD, SF, Az and Colorado. If the Reds aren't in front by a handful or more of games after the St. Louis series in early August, I don't think they take the division.

medford
07-07-2010, 04:02 PM
I don't know about that, the Reds finish playing 3 vs Pitt, 4 vs Arizona, 3 @ Houston, 3 @ Mil, Off day, 3 @ San Diego, off Day, 3 @ houston, 3 vs Mil. If nothing else, I assume that's an easier schedule on paper than the WC contenders from the other divisions. The 2 off days near the end, assuming there are no need to make up a rainout should allow them to set their rotation for each series a little better. Arizona could be w/o Haren, Houston could be w/o Oswalt, doesn't seem all that bad to close out the season. I would think a legit contender would go at least 14-8 over this stretch to close out the season with 17+ wins in the realm of possibility. Extend it back 1 series (4 game stretch @ Col) and this is how they close out September following the Card series in September. Put me down for 16-10 or better following that Cards set.

Meanwhile, the Cards have 3 @ Mil, 4 @ Atlanta, 3 vs Chicago, 4 vs San Diego, Off Day, 3 @ Pit, 3 @ Chicago, 3 vs pitt, 4 vs Col. Overall, that seems pretty similar, if not a shade tougher considering you get 4 vs San Diego, 4 @ Atlanta, 1 less off day and a very good chance of having to fave Ubaldo sometime in the last series.

Degenerate39
07-07-2010, 04:07 PM
Do the Cards see Ubaldo this series?

Chip R
07-07-2010, 04:30 PM

I don't believe so.

medford
07-07-2010, 04:34 PM

I believe the (Reds are in 1st place thread) that due to Colorado's off day, Ubaldo is being bumped up to tomorrow's game on his normal 5 days rest so that he'll be right on schedule for the all star game and hopefully be given the starting nod. Since the Reds play Colorado coming out of the all star break, perhaps they'll decide to keep Ubaldo on schedule, allow him to make the start, get some more work in under the stands following his appearance, take a full 4 days rest, then start the 1st game following their 3 game set w/ the Reds coming out of the break. Sure would be nice of them to do that for the Red Legs.

Colorado's site still list ubaldo as going game 1 of their next series vs San Diego, so I guess we'll see tomorrow. Who knows how often that is updated.

Homer Bailey
07-07-2010, 04:40 PM

As of yesterday, ESPN had him going tomorrow.

membengal
07-07-2010, 04:42 PM
Yes. Tomorrow night Jiminez pitches against St. Louis.

KronoRed
07-07-2010, 04:44 PM

I did to, and it wouldn't be such a bad idea.

Degenerate39
07-07-2010, 04:45 PM
I'd really like to see the Rox sweep the Cards then

Blitz Dorsey
07-07-2010, 05:50 PM
Ahh Felipe, you little tool. Will be fun watching you bat .260 all year, make a bunch of errors ... and finish in second place!

TRF
07-07-2010, 05:55 PM
Honestly, what does anyone EXPECT him to say?

"Well our offense is pretty suspect, especially right now. It's pretty much Albert, Colby and zip. But we are hanging in there waiting for the Reds to slip or face a dominant pitcher like Santana. That didn't work out the way we wanted last night, but maybe tonight."

CarolinaRedleg
07-07-2010, 08:21 PM
What is it about putting on that Cardinals uniform that brings out the punk in a player?

Blitz Dorsey
07-07-2010, 08:52 PM
What is it about putting on that Cardinals uniform that brings out the punk in a player?

All the 'roids that LaRussa forces them to do?

OK, I'm just joking. He really doesn't force them to use steroids.

He forces them to use HGH.

TeamBoone
07-07-2010, 09:08 PM
Well sure, that's understood.

But a few of those guys could use getting drilled. Carpenter, Rasmus and now Lopez.

I don't agree. Felipe was just being a good teammate and there's nothing wrong with that.

Just beat 'em! :p:

TeamBoone
07-07-2010, 10:27 PM
I just remembered something about Felipe, the Red... I think anyway. Didn't he and another player get into a fist fight in the locker room? I may be wrong, but it seems to make my bell tinkle a little bit. I remember that I was shocked because he always appeared benign to me.

RedsMan3203
07-07-2010, 10:52 PM
It is what it is.....

The Standings at the end of the year will tell the real truth....

BoydsOfSummer
07-07-2010, 10:58 PM
I just remembered something about Felipe, the Red... I think anyway. Didn't he and another player get into a fist fight in the locker room? I may be wrong, but it seems to make my bell tinkle a little bit. I remember that I was shocked because he always appeared benign to me.

Was that the one Freel was involved in at a team party?

TeamBoone
07-07-2010, 11:01 PM

Aha! Yes, I think it was!

Ron Madden
07-08-2010, 03:35 AM
Two against one?

Freel and Farney both against Felipe just isn't fair. ;)

Ron Madden
07-08-2010, 03:42 AM
I don't agree. Felipe was just being a good teammate and there's nothing wrong with that.
Just beat 'em! :p:

Agreed. If the situation was the other way around and one of the Reds said the same thing nobody would hold it against him.

TeamBoone
07-08-2010, 07:39 PM
Per TC81190,
Lopez got into a fist fight with Dempster after Dempster got angry after Lopez made an error in the field.

dsmith421
07-08-2010, 07:42 PM

Freel got into a fistfight with the immortal D'Angelo Jimenez, if I recall.