PDA

View Full Version : Bronson = Money

Edskin
07-07-2010, 10:08 PM
Never thought I'd utter these words, but Arroyo has become a real favorite of mine. I am too lazy to go check this out, and my assumption might even be way off, but I'd love to see what Arroyo's record/ERA is this year immediately following a loss--- I have a feeling it would be impressive.

I think he is one of those players that always performs above his numbers. His numbers are somewhat middling, but I view him as an above-average to good member of any rotation. He tends to get absolutely shelled on his bad nights which skews his overall stat line, but more often than not, Arroyo gives the team what it needs.

You hear about "pitching to contact" all the time, but I think Arroyo "pitches to situation" as well as anyone. He seems to be able to adapt to the type of game at hand.... tonight we didn't have much margin for error and he was excellent.

Hats off to Arroyo...

TeamBoone
07-07-2010, 10:11 PM
Nice post, Ed.

_Sir_Charles_
07-07-2010, 10:19 PM
Cerebral is the word that comes to mind when I think of Bronson pitching. He outthinks the opposition and gets more out of his stuff than others.

BoydsOfSummer
07-07-2010, 10:21 PM
It's that every 5th start or so when he gets shelled that keeps his stats middling. He is fun to watch, with all those arm angles flipping breaking balls in every direction. They just don't look like they will get there--and then-- steeeeeriiike!

kaldaniels
07-07-2010, 10:51 PM
Cerebral is the word that comes to mind when I think of Bronson pitching. He outthinks the opposition and gets more out of his stuff than others.

I said it earlier in the year, smartest pitcher on the Reds in a long time. Of course someone followed up that Leake was close. :rolleyes:

pedro
07-07-2010, 11:53 PM
Quite possibly the best Reds trade of the last 20 years.

Chip R
07-07-2010, 11:56 PM

Yes, but if only we could have reworked Wily Mo's contract. ;)

oregonred
07-08-2010, 12:19 AM
Solid. Durable. Fun to watch and a great veteran for others to watch break down an opponent.

Simply the most underrated player on RZ... maybe since its inception

Caveat Emperor
07-08-2010, 12:37 AM
There was a stat on FSN Ohio earlier this season that showed Bronson Arroyo was among the three or four best pitchers in all of baseball in pitching "shutdown starts" -- 7+IP while giving up 1 or fewer ER.

You have to love a guy who comes out to the mound in the rubber match of a three game series and says "I've got this one, guys."

Agree with pedro -- it's one of the best trades in recent team history.

kaldaniels
07-08-2010, 12:48 AM
He's as good as a known commodity as it gets. I'd excercise his option myself, or negotiate a fair extension for both sides. Why gamble in free agency...I'll give him 10 million or so for 200 IP and an ERA around 4 every year. Its nice to be able to count on a guy for that.

Homer Bailey
07-08-2010, 12:53 AM
I'd go for the extension. No real injury concerns, and doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that is going to lose his stuff over the years since he doesn't rely on power. I think he'll continue to age well, somewhat like Moyer.

VR
07-08-2010, 01:00 AM
Solid. Durable. Fun to watch and a great veteran for others to watch break down an opponent.

Simply the most underrated player on RZ... maybe since its inception

237 IP, 2.84 earnie since 1 yr ago (July 10)...w/ a whip around 1.15.

cumberlandreds
07-08-2010, 09:34 AM
It should be a no brainer for the Reds to pick up BA's option for next season. Think about this: He's never missed a start for the Reds and always goes over 200 IP for the season. You don't really find many pitchers like that for the middle of your rotation. Like Edskin said, he throws a few clunker games every year that skews his line but in the end he's about as consistent a pitcher any team would want.
He has been one of my favorites to watch pitch since I saw him throw a one hit shutout against the Nats at RFK a few years back. The way he changed speeds on all his pitches is just masterful at times.

REDREAD
07-08-2010, 09:54 AM
He's as good as a known commodity as it gets. I'd excercise his option myself, or negotiate a fair extension for both sides. Why gamble in free agency...I'll give him 10 million or so for 200 IP and an ERA around 4 every year. Its nice to be able to count on a guy for that.

Yes, I think exercising his option is a no brainer. I actually wouldn't mind if they extended him 2-3 years more. Like I said in another post, he will have 3-4 starts per year where he is horrible (giving up 14 runs), but he's extremely solid the rest of the year.

BuckeyeRedleg
07-08-2010, 10:00 AM

Robbery.

medford
07-08-2010, 10:27 AM
The Phillips trade would have been robbery as well. I agree, unless you pick up Lee and somehow get him to agree to an extension prior to having to make a decision on Bronson's option, picking up said option should be a no brainer, and even better if you can work out an extension. I know the reds have a lot of hope in their young starters, but it sure would be nice to have a guy you can pencil for a sub 4.00 era and 200+ innings.

Remember when we had a debate if Arroyo was a true #3 pitcher on RZ? Seems like that conversation has turned into ifs he's a true #2 or more like a 1b.

bucksfan2
07-08-2010, 10:27 AM
Yes, I think exercising his option is a no brainer. I actually wouldn't mind if they extended him 2-3 years more. Like I said in another post, he will have 3-4 starts per year where he is horrible (giving up 14 runs), but he's extremely solid the rest of the year.

Walt has shown to be creative and Bronson seems to be a guy who likes playing in Cincinnati. I wouldn't have an issue with working out a contract extension. If Bronson can give the Reds 2 more seasons of 4.00 ERA (pitching Bronson style with a few games inflating that ERA) and 220+ innings I wouldn't hesitate to give him a 3rd season.

Right now Bronson is a slightly better than average pitcher who gives you innings. IMO that is very valuable to any team in MLB and especially to the Reds. He will throw his fair share of stinkers, a 7-8 run outing, but his overall value is something the Reds just can't afford to lose.

Spitball
07-08-2010, 10:57 AM
I love watching Arroyo pitch. The kick, the angles, the movement, the speed changes...it's entertaining. He works it all into every batter he faces, and that has to be setting a good lesson for the young pitchers who watch him pitch.

He does have clunkers every so often that inflate his statistics, but you know Arroyo would never beg out of a game to protect his numbers. He seems to be a team player. I'd love to see the Reds extend his contract.

Whew! Anyone remember the thread after the trade with Boston???

savafan
07-08-2010, 11:11 AM
Put me in the camp that would love to see Arroyo's option get picked up. He's my favorite personality on the Reds.

pedro
07-08-2010, 11:46 AM
The Reds are 12-6 in Bronson's starts this year.

In the 6 losses he has given up 33 runs.

In the 12 wins he has surrendered 21.

Plus Plus
07-08-2010, 11:49 AM
Whew! Anyone remember the thread after the trade with Boston???

I wasn't around yet, but I found the thread in the archives and read through it. Some VERY funny statements in there. :lol:

http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=43961

Chip R
07-08-2010, 11:50 AM

Sure. I'd do that. At the very least pick up his option or, ideally, have him do a Rolen-type deal where he agrees to less money for more years instead of having to test the market.

OnBaseMachine
07-08-2010, 12:04 PM
I wasn't around yet, but I found the thread in the archives and read through it. Some VERY funny statements in there. :lol:

Yeah, I was DEAD wrong about that trade. I was ready to fire Krivsky immediately after that move. I was very high on Wily Mo at the time. Looking back on that thread, I'm pretty embarrassed by some of my comments. ;) For instance:

I guarantee you that ten years from now, people will be talking about this trade like they do with the Bagwell trade. Pena will go on and hit 500 homeruns in his career while the Reds may get a few decent years out of Arroyo...maybe.

http://media.giantbomb.com/uploads/0/1851/672580-facepalm_super.jpg

YouTube - Family Guy - The Kool-Aid Man (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q1_2n0tIMak&feature=related)

reds1869
07-08-2010, 01:38 PM
Arroyo is a joy to watch. Picking up his option is a no-brainer unless he has a truly spectacular decline the rest of this season that leads the front office to believe he is toast. I don't see that happening and look forward to #61 in Red for at least one more season.

CrackerJack
07-08-2010, 01:47 PM
I'd go for the extension. No real injury concerns, and doesn't seem to be the kind of guy that is going to lose his stuff over the years since he doesn't rely on power. I think he'll continue to age well, somewhat like Moyer.

Totally agree, and if they lose Harang, they really need to keep someone in the rotation who's got his experience and reliability. Just too many up's and down's with all the young arms still, ecspecially the power arms like Cueto, Bailey, Chapman and Volquez.

Slyder
07-08-2010, 01:55 PM
Robbery.

And think so many people railed that the Robbery was commited by the Red Sox.

Spitball
07-08-2010, 04:44 PM
Yeah, I was DEAD wrong about that trade. I was ready to fire Krivsky immediately after that move. I was very high on Wily Mo at the time. Looking back on that thread, I'm pretty embarrassed by some of my comments. ;) For instance:

I would have sworn I'd weighed in on that discussion, but I sure don't see any of my posts. I also don't see posts by M2, Randy, RFS62, Redstorm, Cougarquest, TeamCasey, TeamClark, Remdog, and a few of the other more active posters from that time. I seem to remember Rem was quite critical of the trade when it first went down.

Maybe I have myself on ignore.

Will M
07-08-2010, 05:06 PM

thanks for the link. funny stuff indeed.