PDA

View Full Version : Ringo Starr turned 70 yesterday

redsmetz
07-08-2010, 05:19 AM
Yesterday was my wife's birthday, one she shares with the former Beatle, Ringo Starr. Last night when we were going to bed, I told my wife that I just realized that Ringo turned 70 this year (John would be 70 this October). It still throws me thinking he's 70, but he's still going on making music (he plays Riverbend tomorrow) and he puts together a good band every year to tour.

John & Ringo were both 23 when they played the Ed Sullivan Show and took the U.S. by storm. Paul was not quite 22 and George would turn 21 the day after their third appearance on the show (a taped show after two weeks of them playing live).

Here's an op-ed piece from the Times I'd overlooked. Note, there's a correction for a statistic mentioned in the column at the end. It'll jump out at you.

http://www.nytimes.com/2010/07/07/opinion/07wed4.html?_r=1&ref=opinion

redsmetz
07-08-2010, 05:25 AM
And this review in Rolling Stone of Ringo's concert at Radio City Musical Hall http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/153483 - like I said, I like the All Starr bands he puts together.

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/17386/153483

cumberlandreds
07-08-2010, 08:12 AM
Yesterday seems so far away.......

For Ringo and Paul the Beattles have to seem like a dream to them now since it's been over 40 years since they burst onto the pop scene.

redsmetz
07-08-2010, 08:16 AM
Yesterday seems so far away.......

For Ringo and Paul the Beattles have to seem like a dream to them now since it's been over 40 years since they burst onto the pop scene.

I know you said "over," but it's been 40 years since they broke up. They burst upon the scene, first in Europe, nearly 50 years ago (their 1st album was recorded in the fall of 1963). That's what is astounding.

oneupper
07-08-2010, 08:50 AM
My kids (16 and 20 yo) like the Beatles. Probably more than I do (I like 'em ok).
To me, THAT is astounding.

redsmetz
07-08-2010, 11:56 AM
My kids (16 and 20 yo) like the Beatles. Probably more than I do (I like 'em ok).
To me, THAT is astounding.

I came to an appreciation for musicians from other generations in my 20's. I saw Benny Goodman at Riverfront Stadium for the Bicentennial celebration in 1976. Later I saw Woody Herman and his orchestra at Bogarts in 1979. They were just old fogies and I had no idea how cutting edge their music was when it first came on the scene back in the 20's and 30's. I never saw Sinatra, but I came to understand what he brought to the music scene that was later rivaled by Elvis and the Beatles. It wasn't until NPR did a story on the electric microphone that I understood that even someone as totally square as Bing Crosby brought an intimacy to the sung voice that had not been found in music before (think old movies, guys singing into megaphones, etc.).

And I'm glad to say I'm not one of those old guys who says "music today, it's all a bunch of crap!". It still throws me when someone says that. I'm always like, really?

I'm thrilled that my kids are Beatles fans. Well not just Beatles fans, but that they have a broad spectrum of music they like. It's a joy.

RichRed
07-08-2010, 12:16 PM
Sometimes you read something that just doesn't compute. Ringo turning 70 is one of them.

cumberlandreds
07-08-2010, 01:27 PM
I know you said "over," but it's been 40 years since they broke up. They burst upon the scene, first in Europe, nearly 50 years ago (their 1st album was recorded in the fall of 1963). That's what is astounding.

Very true. After I wrote that I was thinking it's closer to 50 years since they made the USA scene. My sister had a bunch of their albums and I can remember early in my childhood hearing them. When I became a teen in the late 70's I bought one of their greatest hits albums. I can remember playing it over and over being just amazed at how good each song was and how diverse they could be. Their music will span generations like all great music does.

pedro
07-08-2010, 01:31 PM
Ringo was always the coolest Beatle and a damn fine drummer whose musical contributions are drastically underrated.

savafan
07-08-2010, 02:45 PM
Ringo was always the coolest Beatle and a damn fine drummer whose musical contributions are drastically underrated.

If this were on any other site, I'd click "Like" or give it a star or rep...whatever

redsfanmia
07-08-2010, 03:28 PM

I have always thought that too, I thought George would have been the nicest Beatle.

redsmetz
07-08-2010, 03:50 PM
It's an interesting thing, because musically some of that generation of musicians basically sang "Hope I Die Before I Get Old" and other such lyrics. I grew up with that. I've told people that I always heard you were over the hill at 30, but when I reached thirty, I realized that everyone who said that was either dead or 40, and so on.

When I was in junior high, the Enquirer printed a story (not sure if it was local or if it was a wire service story) speculating what these then young artists would look like when they were in their 50's and 60's. I know Mick Jagger was one, as was John Lennon, sadly. I don't remember who else, but I'd love to find that article and see how they compared. I thought once about writing Jim Knippenberg and giving him the idea. It would have been right down his alley (and he may have been writing for the "Teen" section in the paper then).

Roy Tucker
07-08-2010, 04:16 PM
I remember when I was in 8th grade (1965), Ringo's wife had their son Zac. I thought Zac was such a radical and different and weird name. I wondered how anyone could give their child a name like that.

Little did I know that 23 years later, I'd name my son Zach.

GAC
07-08-2010, 07:48 PM
I'm glad you started this thread redsmetz. Because if you hadn't I was going to. ;)

We missed Paul's B-day, which was last month. He turned 68.

It's just so hard to believe Ringo's 70. It's hard to believe that Lennon has been gone 30 years!

I remember going to see A Hard Day's Night when it PREMIERED!!!!!

I'll stop now as I'm feeling older and older.