PDA

View Full Version : Votto in the home run derby?

arkimadee
07-08-2010, 12:50 PM
Now that it looks like Joey Votto is going to get elected to the all-star game, what is the the chance that he gets into the home run derby??? The last I heard they still had two spots to fill and what better than the NL leading home run man Joey Votto.. Also on a side note, I would love to see Adam Dunn in one of these things.

bgwilly31
07-08-2010, 12:52 PM
nahhhhh i dont want him there.

last thing we need is for that to screw with his amazing season he's having.

5DOLLAR-BLEACHERBUM
07-08-2010, 12:59 PM
Don't think Joey has the kind of swing that would be affected by the home run derby. I think it would be great and was thinking about this myself when I saw the low number of players on the NL side. What a story it would be to have the biggest snub win the Derby. It would also be very good for the Reds in a PR situation. Any advertising is good advertising, they say. The Reds are primed to make a huge leap this week being televised twice on MLBN against the phillies. People are talking and thats a good thing being that we want to lure a guy like Cliff Lee here, if he thinks we are in a position to compete and there is some buzz maybe he would sign a LTD. Guys like Rolen and Bronson are going to be a nice tool in comvincing him it's a nice place to be.

Fon Duc Tow
07-08-2010, 01:04 PM
I'm glad Joey will probably make the AST.

That said, I hope he doesn't play, and I certainly want him to have no part in the HRD.

The regular season, the post season, and the world series. These are all that matter. Anything else is just unnecessary risk.

redsfan_12
07-08-2010, 01:06 PM
I want him to play in the ASG, but no way in the HR Derby

davereds24
07-08-2010, 03:19 PM
If asked I hope he gives a big F U to mlb and declines. He hits too many line drives and to opposite field too much. The derby would affect his swing IMO.

brm7675
07-08-2010, 03:21 PM
No...wait let me think that over...ah no again, wait maybe i should reconsider...noooooooooooooooooooooooooo

The Voice of IH
07-08-2010, 03:36 PM
I think 1 time in the HR derby would be ok...I am in the Minority, but it is the best way for him to get recognized like it or not. I am not sold on the HR Derby messing players up. In fact...I think it is kinda silly to think that way.

sivman17
07-08-2010, 03:49 PM
I think 1 time in the HR derby would be ok...I am in the Minority, but it is the best way for him to get recognized like it or not. I am not sold on the HR Derby messing players up. In fact...I think it is kinda silly to think that way.

I agree. Players try hitting it over the fence in BP. Votto is a guy who can place his ball anywhere he wants. Griffey played in the HR derby a lot in the 90s and I don't think anyone ever complained about him messing up his swing.

Reds42MLB
07-08-2010, 05:06 PM
Why do people buy into the myth that the HR derby messes up your swing? It's a ridiculous notion! If anything players who participate in the Derby and struggle in the 2nd half use it as a cop out.

BakoTheTako
07-08-2010, 05:44 PM
I agree, do people really think trying to hit homreruns for 20 swings is gonna ruin your swing for the rest of the season?

TheBigLebowski
07-08-2010, 05:50 PM
It's one of those debates that casual baseball fans will never settle....kinda like Harang's infamous relief appearance in Sanny Aygo and whatever subsequent effects in may have caused.

Personally, I would love to see him there.

texasdave
07-08-2010, 05:54 PM
It would be interesting to see how the players in the Home Run Derby have fared in the second half over the years. I don't see how it would mess up a swing either.

texasdave
07-08-2010, 05:55 PM
Although trying to score too early on prom night messed up my love life for years. LOL.

sivman17
07-08-2010, 06:27 PM
Apparently he was asked to participate but turned it down, per John Fay.

davereds24
07-08-2010, 06:31 PM
I agree, do people really think trying to hit homreruns for 20 swings is gonna ruin your swing for the rest of the season?

20 swings? you think they just walk up to the plate and swing? these guys practice for days, and if you make it to the last round it's probably more like a couple hundred swings that day (warm up, 3 rounds of homers and outs, and hitting in between rounds).

Griffey012
07-08-2010, 06:40 PM
It would be interesting to see how the players in the Home Run Derby have fared in the second half over the years. I don't see how it would mess up a swing either.

I am guessing there is a decently strong trend in a downward performance, but not because the derby effected there performance but usually because the derby doesn't contain the top sluggers in baseball. For example, of late there seem to be a lot of guys with 25 hr power in the derby instead of guys like Howard, Fielder, Pujols, Adrian Gonzalez, etc. The "2nd half derby curse" always seems to be in these 25 hr type guys who hit 20 in the first half then revert to norms in the 2nd half.

Some other examples:
Abreau in '05 (The guy who started the curse)
D. Wright in '06 (20 in 1st, 6 in 2nd)
Rios in '07 (17 in 1st, 7 in 2nd)

That being said, I still don't care to see Votto in it.

Redlegs_87
07-08-2010, 06:45 PM
I sure hope he doesn't. Always hear players say how it messes them up the 2nd half of the season.

BakoTheTako
07-08-2010, 06:52 PM
20 swings? you think they just walk up to the plate and swing? these guys practice for days, and if you make it to the last round it's probably more like a couple hundred swings that day (warm up, 3 rounds of homers and outs, and hitting in between rounds).

You really think they practice for days for a meaningless HR derby? How do you know? If they do then that's their own fault.