PDA

View Full Version : Reds @ Phillies series 7/8-7/11

Eric_the_Red
07-08-2010, 02:39 PM
I used to do these Reds in my Sun Deck days, so let's see how it goes over here. Obviously, we want to use the Game Threads for game and play-by-play discussion, but here we can discuss series predictions, what to look for and reaction to the games.

Reds (49-37)
vs.
Phillies (43-40)

Here are your probables:

Thursday, July 8, 7:05 PM EDT
Johnny Cueto (8-2, 3.56 ERA ) vs
Kyle Kendrick (5-3, 4.70 ERA)

Friday, July 9, 7:05 PM EDT
Mike Leake (6-1, 3.38 ERA) vs
Joe Blanton (3-5, 6.27 ERA)

Saturday, July 10, 7:05 PM EDT
Travis Wood (0-0, 3.86 ERA) vs
Roy Halladay (10-7, 2.33 ERA)

Sunday, July 11, 1:35 PM EDT
Matt Maloney (0-1, 4.76 ERA) vs
TBA

Notes:

The Reds are 1,047-845 all-time against the Phillies, including the two of three games the club won this season. Over the last four seasons, though, Philadelphia has been on the winning side.
At 3 games ahead, this is the Reds largest division lead since 5/19/02.
The Reds lead the majors in hitting with RISP. (.286)
The Reds have won 8 of their last 10 road games.
The Reds are 8-13 all-time at Citizens Bank Ballpark.

LincolnparkRed
07-08-2010, 02:47 PM
A split would be great. I think they can beat Kendrick and they will get to Hamels, who I believe was the originally scheduled starter. Roy will get them, and they seem to struggle with Joe

Eric_the_Red
07-08-2010, 02:53 PM
I think I'd take a split too. Two series wins and a split on the longest road trip of the year would be a big win, IMO, and a nice way to hit the All Star break.

medford
07-08-2010, 02:58 PM
Chris Welsh made mention last night, that in conversations w/ Bronson prior to the game, he said if he went out and pitched solidly last night, he was going to go to Dusty and beg to go on 3 days rest and pitch the last game of this series.

Couple of thoughts:

1) Bronson has always done well on short rest. I'd have no problem letting him go on Sunday to close out the 1st half.

2) Throwing Bronson on Sunday, allows you to keep him on his normal rotation following the break and get a full 5 days.

3) I wonder if they'll use that day to 'showcase' Maloney as a piece to trade. He pitched solid enough vs the Mets the other day. Another solid outing before he's shipped down in favor of Volquez and/or Harang combined w/ what he did last year could upgrade other GMs perspective of him just a shade from fringe major leaguer, to back of the rotation worthy right away.

OnBaseMachine
07-08-2010, 02:59 PM
I'm hoping for a series split. Anything above that would obviously be terrific but 2-2 is a more realistic goal.

SirFelixCat
07-08-2010, 03:00 PM
2-2 in this series puts the Reds 7-4 on not only the longest roadie of the year, but a pretty tough one in terms of opponents. That would be absolutely fantastic! Couple that with the extra day off and I just would love that going into the 2nd half of the season!

Degenerate39
07-08-2010, 03:01 PM
I bet Sunday will be Arroyo vs Hamels

Homer Bailey
07-08-2010, 03:10 PM
I would bet that Arroyo goes on Sunday.

fearofpopvol1
07-08-2010, 03:13 PM
A split would be great. And I really hope Arroyo does pitch on Sunday.

Degenerate39
07-08-2010, 03:15 PM
I can see the Reds taking 3 of 4 but splitting is most likely.

_Sir_Charles_
07-08-2010, 03:21 PM
SWEEP!!! :D

Come on, be honest....what did you think I'd say?

Eric_the_Red
07-08-2010, 03:31 PM
SWEEP!!! :D

Come on, be honest....what did you think I'd say?

Love the optimism!

If the Reds win 3 of 4, or even sweep, it would be interesting to see what happens to attendence. A sustained streak of good play and a growing lead in first place should bring plenty of fans to GABP after the break.

nemesis
07-08-2010, 03:31 PM
I would bet that Arroyo goes on Sunday.

If that's the case it sets the rotation up like this coming out of the break...

Arroyo
Cueto
Wood
Volquez
Leake

Arroyo gets the last day assignment then the 4 day break and is on schedule to make the next start out of the break.. Cueto gets 8 days between starts which could be a positive. He has suffered though second half arm fatigue both years in the league, 8 days could recharge him. Wood gets 8 days as well. Volquez's spot falls in line with his 5 day schedule in Louisville. That also goves him 2 more starts in Louisville (9th, 14th) to build his pitch count. Would get the Nationals line up which might be a little easier as well. Leake gets 10 days between starts which saves him another 100 pitches that can be used in September.

Eric_the_Red
07-09-2010, 07:28 AM
Well, a series split is looking even better this morning. Hopefully Leake can look more like he did earlier in the season and limit some of the hits. As we saw yesterday, it doesn't take much to hit a wall scraper out in of that park.

OnBaseMachine
07-09-2010, 12:50 PM
Tough loss last night. I don't have the stats in front of me but it seems like this team strands a ton of runners on 3rd with less than two outs. It seems like it happens at least once a night. If they score just one of those runners they probably win that game last night.