PDA

View Full Version : Cliff Lee News

Boss-Hog
07-08-2010, 06:04 PM
All,

Please keep this thread strictly for news via tweets, blog posts, articles, etc and keep the discussion in this (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83376) thread. There are users who would like to follow the latest news without reading through pages and pages of discussion and speculation.

RANDY IN INDY
07-08-2010, 07:20 PM
All,

Please keep this thread strictly for news via tweets, blog posts, articles, etc and keep the discussion in this (http://www.redszone.com/forums/showthread.php?t=83376) thread. There are users who would like to follow the latest news without reading through pages and pages of discussion and speculation.

:thumbup:

RedLegSuperStar
07-08-2010, 09:37 PM
Mark Sheldon-

It appears that discussions between the Reds and Mariners about pitcher Cliff Lee have yet to hit the serious stages.A baseball source told MLB.com Thursday that no formal proposals have been exchanged between the two teams.

"It's just been the parameters and the types of players that they are looking for or not looking for," the source said. "It's been quiet lately."

The first-place Reds are one of several teams in the hunt for the left-handed Lee, an ace-quality starting pitcher, who is earning $8 million this season with Seattle. He would essentially be a "rent-a-player" for Cincinnati since he can become a free agent at season's end.

It's been widely reported that the Mariners are seeking multiple big league ready prospects, which is an area where the Reds have some chips they could deal. Triple-A Louisville first baseman Yonder Alonso is blocked in the Majors by Joey Votto and Alonso's teammate, third baseman Juan Francisco, is blocked by Scott Rolen.

The Reds also have young left-handed pitchers like Travis Wood and Matt Maloney, who have both recently been called up.

klw
07-09-2010, 07:52 AM
Yankees on "brink" of getting Lee- doesn't everyday give us a new frontrunning team in this chase.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/yankees_on_brink_of_landing_cliff_b7oJw63k0cUXVdd0 2uuU1I

The Knicks didn’t get LeBron James, but the Yankees were on the brink of obtaining Cliff Lee late last night for a package that would include top prospect Jesus Montero, the Post has learned.

Yankees GM Brian Cashman and Seattle GM Jack Zduriencik have been in constant contact over the last week, but it was only last night that the Seattle GM told Yankee officials he wanted to move quickly, possibly before the All-Star break.

The Yanks were not assured of obtaining Lee since other clubs such as the Mets, Twins and Rangers were in talks. But the Yanks were definitely making the strongest move last night, coming from seeming disinterest into the clear front-runner and last night it seemed they were all but certain to obtain the 31-year-old lefty.

In an odd twist, Lee is scheduled to pitch against the Yankees tonight in Seattle. Lee is 8-3 with a 2.34 ERA and an amazing 89 strikeouts to just six walks. He beat the Yankees twice in the World Series last year, the only two games the Yankees lost in the Fall Classic.

Mario-Rijo
07-09-2010, 08:57 AM
Yankees on "brink" of getting Lee- doesn't everyday give us a new frontrunning team in this chase.
http://www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/yankees_on_brink_of_landing_cliff_b7oJw63k0cUXVdd0 2uuU1I

Sounds like Jack Z is trying to get this thing done before disinterest and indecision set in. Wise move on his part to get the best package possible, he obviously understands how to read a crescendo.

kbrake
07-09-2010, 09:33 AM
Buster Olney just said on Mike and Mike that Cliff Lee will be dealt TODAY. Said they took the Yankees offer built around Montero and went to see what everyone else could do. Sorry no link just listening at work.

Mario-Rijo
07-09-2010, 09:47 AM
Buster Olney just said on Mike and Mike that Cliff Lee will be dealt TODAY. Said they took the Yankees offer built around Montero and went to see what everyone else could do. Sorry no link just listening at work.

Interesting, I suspect we will offer a solid package centered around Alonso but no Mes. If Montero can't stick at catcher Alonso looks every bit as good or better, if Montero can stick at catcher good for them. Jack Z ought to have a really good read on whether he can or not, he's a pretty good judge of talent IMO.

OesterPoster
07-09-2010, 09:56 AM
Buster's most recent update:

http://sports.espn.go.com/new-york/mlb/news/story?id=5366254&campaign=rss&source=twitter&ex_cid=Twitter_espn_5366254

The Seattle Mariners are pushing hard to complete a Cliff Lee trade, and the Yankees could be closing in on a deal for the left-hander -- but as of Friday morning, there was no agreement in place, sources say, and it's possible that another team could step in and make a more aggressive bid.

The Mariners have been talking with the Rays, Twins, Rangers, Reds and other teams, and news that the Yankees were on the verge of getting Lee -- first reported by the New York Post -- could spur one of the other teams to strengthen their offer.

jojo
07-09-2010, 10:05 AM
Sounds like Jack Z is trying to get this thing done before disinterest and indecision set in. Wise move on his part to get the best package possible, he obviously understands how to read a crescendo.

It's not disinterest setting in, it's basically All-star weekend putting a hold on everything until Wednesday otherwise... it's not the time to steal mlb's thunder...

Mario-Rijo
07-09-2010, 10:27 AM
It's not disinterest setting in, it's basically All-star weekend putting a hold on everything until Wednesday otherwise... it's not the time to steal mlb's thunder...

Ya know I always thought that was a foolish reason for not doing a deal, like it would do anything but spur interest in baseball and the AS game. But could be some reasoning I suppose.

Mario-Rijo
07-09-2010, 10:38 AM
Oops sorry Boss, I read your post but it just didn't sink in. No more discussion from me in here.

Benihana
07-09-2010, 11:38 AM
MLBTR:

9:35am: The Lee-Yankees deal is "just about done," an executive involved in the negotiations tells ESPN.com's Buster Olney (Twitter link).

Welp, I guess that's that.

RedLegSuperStar
07-09-2010, 11:39 AM
BUuter Olney is reporting that Lee to the Yanks is almost completed.

Benihana
07-09-2010, 11:43 AM
MLBTR:

An official with a team interested in Lee tells Ed Price of AOL FanHouse that the Mariners appear to be negotiating exclusively with the Yankees (Twitter link).

JaxRed
07-09-2010, 11:48 AM
I'm sure that Bud will stop this in the best interest of baseball. :)

Matt700wlw
07-09-2010, 11:48 AM
If he goes to New York, at least that also means he's not going to St. Louis, or any other NL team.

Other than that, screw the Yankees.

blumj
07-09-2010, 11:58 AM
Ha, Lee was supposed to pitch against the Yankees tonight, I wouldn't be surprised if they set a deadline to make sure he doesn't.

BRM
07-09-2010, 12:15 PM
MLBTR:

10:03am: Ken Davidoff of Newsday hears that the talks have hit a 'snag' and notes that the Yankees remain hopeful that they can finish the deal (via Twitter). Davidoff and ESPN.com's Buster Olney both note (via Twitter) that the Yankees will not get a negotiating window for a contract extension.

Olney hears that the Yankees told the Mariners that their current offer is their last and best one. The Yankees expect an answer soon, since Lee is scheduled to face them tonight (Twitter links).

BRM
07-09-2010, 12:22 PM
Now Davidoff is reporting it's close to done again.

NJReds
07-09-2010, 12:27 PM
Now Davidoff is reporting it's close to done again.

Twitter is a nuisance. I miss the days when sources were, for the most part, named.

Unnamed sources were reserved for stories of importance, like Watergate.

BRM
07-09-2010, 12:28 PM
Twitter is a nuisance. I miss the days when sources were, for the most part, named.

Agreed. A person can go nuts following this stuff on twitter.

Spitball
07-09-2010, 12:39 PM
By Ben Nicholson-Smith [July 9 at 10:18am CST]
10:18am: The Mariners have told many interested teams that they're out of the Lee sweepstakes, according to Ken Davidoff of Newsday (via Twitter). It appears that the Yankees will acquire Lee.

Spitball
07-09-2010, 12:50 PM
10:44: Catching prospect Jesus Montero and second base prospect David Adams will head to the Mariners, possibly with another prospect, according to Joel Sherman of the New York Post, who broke the story.

BRM
07-09-2010, 12:51 PM
Joel Sherman reporting it's pretty much done. Montero, Adams and 1-2 other prospects head to Seattle.

cumberlandreds
07-09-2010, 12:59 PM
Better the Yankees than the Cardinals or anyone else in the NL. The Reds won't have to worry about him until the World Series.

OesterPoster
07-09-2010, 01:05 PM
Man, feels weird seeing an update on cbssports.com from our boy C. Trent:

http://www.cbssports.com/mcc/blogs/entry/22297882/23095318?tag=comBlogEntryListCnt;entry23095318

Despite the reports that Cliff Lee will be a Yankee, other clubs in the race aren't giving up yet.

Two sources from two different teams tell CBSSports.com that they're not out of the running for Lee quite yet.

One source even quoted Animal House, "was it over when the Germans bombed Pearl Harbor?" he said in a text.

Although the Yankees appear to be the favorite, Brian Cashman certainly won't be the only one calling Jack Zduriencik today.

-- C. Trent Rosecrans

dougdirt
07-09-2010, 01:13 PM

Of course people can lose their jobs if they get named. It is why a lot of places don't name sources on things like this.

Scrap Irony
07-09-2010, 01:18 PM
That and they make stuff up.

max venable
07-09-2010, 01:20 PM
Still waiting for the Reds to come out of nowhere and snag Lee like they did Chapman. :)

And wouldn't it be nice for other teams to stop dealing with the Yankees? Dang.

NJReds
07-09-2010, 01:21 PM
Of course people can lose their jobs if they get named. It is why a lot of places don't name sources on things like this.

No accountability. Teams, agents, etc. are using Twitter to advance their cause. Just like the LeBron thing, a lot of this is posturing with little or no basis of fact.

I don't have a problem with fans, bloggers, etc. going nuts with rumors. But the big name media outlets have to make sure that they have some level of reliability.

REDSEER
07-09-2010, 04:48 PM
Mariners backing off of Lee trade with Yankees according to Sherman.

http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/18143065139

KoryMac5
07-09-2010, 04:50 PM
According to the WFAN there are physical problems with Adams and another team has topped the Yankee offer.

HotCorner
07-09-2010, 04:52 PM

Sea Ray
07-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Mariners backing off of Lee trade with Yankees according to Sherman.

http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1/status/18143065139

Does anyone really believe the Yankees are no longer in it? Gotta love Twitter...

OesterPoster
07-09-2010, 04:53 PM
Sweet.

Buster_ESPN

Heard this: At 3:45 E. time, big concerns arising within the negotiation that the SEA-NYY Cliff Lee deal could break up. Fluid situation.

savafan
07-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Buster_ESPN

The Yankees had hoped to strike aggressively, strike quickly, and get a resolution to this --but SEA might still be shopping for alternative

Ghosts of 1990
07-09-2010, 05:07 PM
Love it, fluid situation eh?

Maybe we've topped the offer? But I feel like it's probably a major market. I don't think Cliff Lee fits into this clubhouse anyways. Anyone feel the same way?

OnBaseMachine
07-09-2010, 05:09 PM
Hearing #Rangers are working really hard on #Lee now. Tricky because of finances with team sale not complete and MLB-imposed budget

http://twitter.com/Joelsherman1

OnBaseMachine
07-09-2010, 05:17 PM
The Rangers aren't the only team according to Jon Heyman...

#rangers 1 of a few teams jumping in with big snag in yankees/lee trade talk

http://twitter.com/SI_JonHeyman

Spitball
07-09-2010, 05:18 PM
I don't think Cliff Lee fits into this clubhouse anyways. Anyone feel the same way?

Why wouldn't he? I understand Cliff Lee is a pretty humble guy.

Btw, he and Travis Wood are both from the same county in Arkansas and worked out together this winter.

OnBaseMachine
07-09-2010, 05:24 PM
From Ed Price of AOL Fanhouse:

An official of uninvolved team said that #Rangers now willing to put Justin Smoak in a deal for Cliff Lee. And don't count out #Reds.

http://twitter.com/ed_price

Raisor
07-09-2010, 05:26 PM
. I don't think Cliff Lee fits into this clubhouse anyways.

This is not a slam, I promise. Sometimes I think you might be from another planet. :thumbup:

reds44
07-09-2010, 05:32 PM
Ken_Rosenthal #Reds have spoken "extensively" to M's about Lee over last 48 hrs, source tells FOXSports.com's Jon Paul Morosi. #Rangers also in. #MLB

!!!!!!!!!!!!!

OnBaseMachine
07-09-2010, 05:32 PM
From Ken Rosenthal:

#Reds have spoken "extensively" to M's about Lee over last 48 hrs, source tells FOXSports.com's Jon Paul Morosi. #Rangers also in. #MLB

http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal

HotCorner
07-09-2010, 05:41 PM
Ed Price:

Reds are going all-out, from what I can tell. RT @Jroe8: @ed_price what are the chances the reds get lee?

mbgrayson
07-09-2010, 05:42 PM
Price reports that the Reds are going "all-out" for Lee (Twitter link (http://twitter.com/ed_price/status/18145885390)).

KoryMac5
07-09-2010, 05:48 PM
Heyman said that the Mariners liked Montero the catcher from the Yankees but were not as enamored with the other prospects, Adams and Mcallister. Since it was a take it or leave it deal the Mariners left it.

Steve Phillips didn't think Texas would be able to swing a deal due to the ownership sale falling through.

Lee is still slated to pitch tonight against the Yankees.

danforsman
07-09-2010, 05:57 PM
Joel Sherman -- Twitter (https://twitter.com/Joelsherman1)

i have learned deal done with #Rangers, Smoak and 3 others for Lee and reliever Mark Lowe #Rangers, #Mariners

I(heart)Freel
07-09-2010, 06:01 PM
Sherman reported that Yanks had a deal 12 hours ago.

Not saying he's not right this time, but let it play out.

yab1112
07-09-2010, 06:08 PM
Rosenthal now confirming the deal.
http://twitter.com/Ken_Rosenthal/status/18147298603

savafan
07-09-2010, 06:38 PM
Joelsherman1 Post has learned that besides Smoak, #Rangers giving up for Lee: RHP Blake Beavan, OF Matthew Lawson, reliever Cory Lueke

Redsfan320
07-09-2010, 09:07 PM
MLBTR says the M's put out a press release confirming the Rangers deal.

lollipopcurve
07-10-2010, 01:12 PM
www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/double_dealers_back_away_from_bombers_DOPzsAmVOhYE swOjRu74OI#ixzz0tHrEkC99

Mariners' handling of this trade coming under some criticism.

I said yesterday AM, before the Mariners ditched the Yankees, that the Yankees would not take kindly to their publicly known offer being shopped. Whether the offer was actively "shopped" or not, it does seem, according to the story, that the Mariners weasled their way out of discussions with the Yankees in a way that may make some GMs hesitant to deal with them in the future.

Degenerate39
07-10-2010, 01:25 PM
Joelsherman1 Post has learned that besides Smoak, #Rangers giving up for Lee: RHP Blake Beavan, OF Matthew Lawson, reliever Cory Lueke

Aside from Smoak how do these other prospects compare to what the Reds have?

Cedric
07-10-2010, 01:39 PM
www.nypost.com/p/sports/yankees/double_dealers_back_away_from_bombers_DOPzsAmVOhYE swOjRu74OI#ixzz0tHrEkC99

I said yesterday AM, before the Mariners ditched the Yankees, that the Yankees would not take kindly to their publicly known offer being shopped. Whether the offer was actively "shopped" or not, it does seem, according to the story, that the Mariners weasled their way out of discussions with the Yankees in a way that may make some GMs hesitant to deal with them in the future.

Boo Hoo. It's the Yankee way to complain and whine when someone else actually does something like Texas did.

This is all a non story. There are plenty of teams that will be willing to deal with Seattle in the future and the Yankees will be one of them.

jojo
07-10-2010, 01:43 PM

The NY post is critical of the Ms not sending Lee to the Yanks? That seems out of character.

Given the Yanks admission of how the talks unfolded (and the fact that the Post was all over the Yanks details Friday morning), it's tough to see where Jack Z wouldn't get his phone calls returned by others in the league in the future because of this trade. I dunno, maybe Beane wont be calling him thinking the As can steal a player but, really, the Ms acted like any other team would've based upon the details as we know them.

The Ms were talking details with at least 4 teams Thursday evening and Friday morning. It's a little tough to see the Yanks side truthfully...

Cedric
07-10-2010, 01:48 PM
The NY post is critical of the Ms not sending Lee to the Yanks? That seems out of character.

Given the Yanks admission of how the talks unfolded (and the fact that the Post was all over the Yanks details Friday morning), it's tough to see where Jack Z wouldn't get his phone calls returned by others in the league in the future because of this trade. I dunno, maybe Beane wont be calling him thinking the As can steal a player but, really, the Ms acted like any other team would've based upon the details as we know them.

The Ms were talking details with at least 4 teams Thursday evening and Friday morning. It's a little tough to see the Yanks side truthfully...

Kinda sounds like a mad sportswriter throwing out the "unnamed Yankee official." It's not like Yankee fans are good losers.

Sorry but I don't trust these writers that want to get hits on their stories.

lollipopcurve
07-10-2010, 01:48 PM

You may be right. Or you may not be.

If the Ms agreed to a deal, pending physicals, then got an agreement for a replacement for the player who failed his physical -- then starting asking for more -- I find that unethical.

You can choose to disbelieve the story, but I don't think you can question that if the story is true, the Mariners handled the trade less than honestly.

jojo
07-10-2010, 01:56 PM

If the Ms agreed to a deal, pending physicals, then got an agreement for a replacement for the player who failed his physical -- then starting asking for more -- I find that unethical.

You can choose to disbelieve the story, but I don't think you can question that if the story is true, the Mariners handled the trade less than honestly.

The deal that reached "pending physicals" stage was nixed apparently by health concerns which kicks negotiations back into play. At that point, the Yanks really don't have much of a gripe.

TheNext44
07-10-2010, 01:59 PM

There was a time when things like that mattered. It was an old boys network, and you didn't screw each other over.

But when young guns like Bowden, who are more like used car dealers than GM's, started to get hired, the old boys network started to fall apart. There are some left, but the rules have changed. The new rule is caveat emptor.

TheNext44
07-10-2010, 02:08 PM
The deal that reached "pending physicals" stage was nixed apparently by health concerns which kicks negotiations back into play. At that point, the Yanks really don't have much of a gripe.

If the story is true, and that's a big if, the two teams agreed to a replacement player, but then the M's stalled by asking for a player they already knew was off bounds, in order to give the Rangers time to offer Smoak as a reaction to the Yanks including Montero. I think that's what the Yanks are mad about, not the fact that that the M's nixed the deal, but that they used the Ysnks to get the Rangers to include Smoak.

jojo
07-10-2010, 02:11 PM
If the story is true, and that's a big if, the two teams agreed to a replacement player, but then the M's stalled by asking for a player they already knew was off bounds, in order to give the Rangers time to offer Smoak as a reaction to the Yanks including Montero. I think that's what the Yanks are mad about, not the fact that that the M's nixed the deal, but that they used the Ysnks to get the Rangers to include Smoak.

The Yankees knew the Ms were negotiating with several teams.

lollipopcurve
07-10-2010, 02:11 PM

Hard to know. Adams has a bad ankle. Generally, that's not considered a deal breaker. But even if the ankle is shredded, the Mariners asked for a replacement, and the Yankees agreed to it. Deal should have been concluded at that point, but, according to the story, the Mariners asked for another player, one they'd been refused earlier. That's weasling their way out.

Maybe these guys don't work on an honor system any more, I don't know. But if these details are true -- and they may not be for all I know -- I take the Yankees side on this one, and normally I'm about the last guy to do that.

jojo
07-10-2010, 02:13 PM
Hard to know. Adams has a bad ankle. Generally, that's not considered a deal breaker. But even if the ankle is shredded, the Mariners asked for a replacement, and the Yankees agreed to it. Deal should have been concluded at that point, but, according to the story, the Mariners asked for another player, one they'd been refused earlier. That's weasling their way out.

Maybe these guys don't work on an honor system any more, I don't know. But if these details are true -- and they may not be for all I know -- I take the Yankees side on this one, and normally I'm about the last guy to do that.

Ya, poor Yankees.

TheNext44
07-10-2010, 02:26 PM
The Yankees knew the Ms were negotiating with several teams.

But they also thought they had a deal, even after Adams failed his physical.

I don't think it's a big deal, and the Yanks definitely are whiners about this, but the M's did use the Yanks deal in order to get a better deal from another team. That used to be a no-no.

jojo
07-10-2010, 02:32 PM
But they also thought they had a deal, even after Adams failed his physical.

I don't think it's a big deal, and the Yanks definitely are whiners about this, but the M's did use the Yanks deal in order to get a better deal from another team. That used to be a no-no.

Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. There certainly wasn't any outrage on Redszone yesterday when many were calling on the Reds to beat the Yanks and where excited to hear that the Reds were still charging hard... Seems like Jocketty didn't think it was a no-no.

It's just a strange molehill to be climbing after the trade I guess.

Mario-Rijo
07-10-2010, 05:01 PM
Maybe they did. Maybe they didn't. There certainly wasn't any outrage on Redszone yesterday when many were calling on the Reds to beat the Yanks and where excited to hear that the Reds were still charging hard... Seems like Jocketty didn't think it was a no-no.

It's just a strange molehill to be climbing after the trade I guess.

Well until it's done and the team tells you it's done it's fair game, from a buyers perspective. It's up to the selling team to make that determination not the buyers, apples and oranges. That said I'm on the M's side here, it's not like the Yankees haven't used other teams to get what they want, go whine to their mamas for all I care. Still it can't be a good thing for Jack and company to be called indian givers, I'm sure teams will at the very least consider that a possibility in future potential exchanges causing them a smidge less leverage in negotiations. I'm sure Jack thinks it was worth it if that is what he chose to do, no biggie if so.

lollipopcurve
07-10-2010, 05:08 PM
it's not like the Yankees haven't used other teams to get what they want,

You don't know this.

Not a big deal. Just some palace intrigue that does not speak well for the Yankees, the Mariners, or both.