PDA

View Full Version : Does anyone remember the media circus when Pete Rose signed with the Phillies?

BCubb2003
07-09-2010, 11:39 AM
I seem to remember lots of LeBron-like rumors, visits, showy announcements, in a pre-24/7 media world. Am I recalling it accurately?

westofyou
07-09-2010, 12:46 PM
Yep, Pete played it to the hilt and Carpenter emerged as the leader by offering more than he wanted to pay and much more than others as well. he then went to the cable company (a burgeoning industry) and asked them what sort of deal they would pay to broadcast the team After he heard their offer he asked what if Pete Rose was on the team?

That upped the deals cost and thus Carpenter was able to lock down Pete and it initially was the first time that the sporting world realized that enhanced star power could demand media dollars as easily as a team with cache.

IIRC the Phils were not in the mix at the begining

Her's the SI story

http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1094537/index.htm

westofyou
07-09-2010, 12:50 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1094266/index.htm

It is the middle of last week, and in the exercise room adjacent to the Cincinnati Reds' locker room, 37-year-old Pete Rose is mugging for the camera. Over his stocky frame he wears a T shirt similar to the ones he gave President Carter's Softball team during a recent visit to the White House. Across the back of the shirt in bold lettering is written: PETE ROSE—3,000—HUSTLE MADE IT HAPPEN. Rose likes being photographed. A vain man without a trace of self-consciousness, secure in his image, Rose is the Muhammad Ali of baseball.

On his head is a Phillie cap. "What do you think of the Phils, Pete?"

"They need me." Rose points to his chest and grins. Click.

Someone hands him another cap. Rose removes the small, plastic insert from the front of the Phillie cap and puts it in the new one, so that it will sit on his head just so. "O.K., Pete. The California Angels. What do you think of?"

" Gene Autry." Rose grins, baring the gap in his front teeth. "Maybe he'll give me his horse if I sign. What was the name of that horse? Champion? Champion!" Click.

Next cap. It bears the interlocking "S" and "D" of the Padres, owned by McDonald's magnate Ray Kroc. " San Diego had two Pete Rose Days this year," Rose divulges. "Two. Ray Kroc likes me because I'm a self-made, aggressive guy like he is, and he likes me because I help his younger players. I go to the park early and work with them. He appreciates that." Rose grins and bites into an imaginary Big Mac. Click.

He slips on the next cap, and a bystander says, "The Dodgers, Pete. National League champs. Los Angeles ."

"Ahh, endorsements!" says Pete. Click.

"O.K., Pete, how about a frown?"

"You want a frown? I'll give you a frown. Give me that Reds cap."

Eric_the_Red
07-09-2010, 01:53 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/vault/article/magazine/MAG1094266/index.htm

Great find, WOY. Anyone who is a fan of Pete and hates LeBron should probably reconsider their position on one or the other.

paulrichjr
07-09-2010, 03:22 PM
A 10 year old kid never forgets it when his baseball "hero" deserts his favorite team. What made it a little sweeter though was being in attendance the first day he returned to play and getting a chance to boo him. After all...they still had Johnny Bench.

George Anderson
07-09-2010, 03:27 PM
IIRC the Royals were hot after Pete to. I think they were going to put him at first base.

macro
07-10-2010, 02:59 AM
The Louisville Courier-Journal had a mock photo of him in a Pirates cap, and a story about the possibility of him going there, as well. Imagine Pittsburgh and KC in the running for the most sought-after free agent of the year.

Not knowing all the details of the situation, I absolutely despised Pete for leaving. All was forgiven in August 1984, though. :)

vic715
07-10-2010, 11:47 AM
IIRC the Royals were hot after Pete to. I think they were going to put him at first base.

I really thought the Royals were the ones who were going to get it done. Pete at the time had his eyes on Stan Musials all time NL hits record and decided to stay in the NL.I really thought that he was playing the Reds and was going to stay but I was very wrong.

Crosley68
07-10-2010, 12:50 PM
I remember it a bit differently. In my and my friend's opinion at the time, we felt that The Reds were being cheap and could keep Pete if they would put a crowbar in their wallet and pry it open a bit. There was more hate directed at the organization than at Pete. There was even some press about organizing One Million fans donating One Dollar each to help keep Pete here. That doesnt sound like people hating to me.

Lebron turned down MORE money to leave........Pete would have stayed for equal money IMO.

SunDeck
07-10-2010, 01:36 PM
Didn't Phil Donahue come to town and have him on his show...at (then) Riverfront Coliseum?

Mainspark
07-10-2010, 02:11 PM
Then-Reds GM Dick Wagner was a longtime Rose antagonist, and I don't think he had any real intention of retaining him.
I remember the Sports Illustrated article, which I think was accompanied by a series of photos of Pete wearing the caps of the various teams rumored to have interest in signing him. I found it very disturbing at the time.
That same post-season, Wagner abruptly fired Sparky, reportedly after he balked at making changes on his coaching staff.
It was a grim period.

cumberlandreds
07-10-2010, 04:46 PM
The Louisville Courier-Journal had a mock photo of him in a Pirates cap, and a story about the possibility of him going there, as well. Imagine Pittsburgh and KC in the running for the most sought-after free agent of the year.

Not knowing all the details of the situation, I absolutely despised Pete for leaving. All was forgiven in August 1984, though. :)

I was the same way.I hated Rose after he left and thought he was a traitor. But I realized in the years that passed most of the blame fell to Dick Wagner and the Reds ownership for not paying Rose. There was no reason to hardball Rose when they all knew what he meant to the franchise and the city of Cincinnnati. When Rose came back in 1984 it was like he had never left and the Reds regained ,at least some, of that old spark that had made so good for many years.

George Anderson
07-10-2010, 04:52 PM
I hated Pete to because I felt he was being greedy and should have stayed with the Reds. As an adult I look back on it and don't blame him one little bit. Ya gotta go where the dough is.

macro
07-10-2010, 05:14 PM
Didn't he get $800,000/year from the Phillies while the Reds' best offer was $400,000?