PDA

View Full Version : 7/9/10 Reds @ Phillies

Pages : 1 [2]

Blitz Dorsey
07-09-2010, 10:07 PM
We're gonna get swept in this series. Halladay vs. Wood tomorrow (not good). Then Mr. AAAA Matt Maloney vs. Cole Hamels on Sunday (not good).

Blitz Dorsey
07-09-2010, 10:08 PM
Unbelievable that we have blown 6-run leads in the 9th inning in two different games in the first half of this season.

toledodan
I don't think Dusty's done a good job. I still think he's an idiot, even though the Reds are winning. The talent is winning, not Dusty's managing.

And Coco needs to go. He's toast.

i agree 100%. the reds win despite dudty.

kbrake
This will be about as devestating as Atlanta. They'll bounce back if they lose.

HokieRed
07-09-2010, 10:09 PM
[QUOTE=lollipopcurve;2153300]I blame Baker for rendering Cordero less effective than he would be if he'd been used judiciously through the first part of the year. He absolutely fried him through the first couple months, and Cordero has lost his good fastball, his slider and his ability to put hitters away.

No doubt in my mind.[/QUOTE

Absolutely. It's his very limited way of thinking about how you finish these games. Owings should have started the 9th inning. But that's not the old school pattern. Starter keeps going till he can't any longer; then you get the one of the one or two guys you have confidence (in this case misplaced) in.

_Sir_Charles_
Cards up 5-0 now in the 8th

Blitz Dorsey
this sux

mbgrayson
Dusty is to blame, and so is Cordero. I let Leake off the hook.

Leake is pitching in the 9th for about the 1st time all year. While he pitched brilliantly, once a couple guys get on, you put in another pitcher. Bray and Ondrusek have looked good lately....

We shouldn't even have ever gotten to a save sitaution. Then Dusty stubbornly insists on ALWAYS using Cordero in save situations. Overuse big time.

Then there is Coco the clown, with what seems like his 2.0+ WHIP. Two walks and a HR, when he comes in with one out, and nobody on base.

_Sir_Charles_
07-09-2010, 10:10 PM
Ibanez double to lead off...Rhodes pitching.

KYRedsFan
just epic choke city

OldRightHander
Unbelievable that we have blown 6-run leads in the 9th inning in two different games in the first half of this season.

Both Leake starts too.

HokieRed
07-09-2010, 10:11 PM
That's a closer's dream. Up 2, no one on, only need 2 outs to get the save, two scrubs coming up. AND HE BLEW IT. Cordero is a joke. But he's still not as bad as Orlando "0-for-6" Cabrera.

Mr. 0 for 6 is also on Dusty.

Blitz Dorsey
Unlike the meltdown against the Braves, the Reds have two very tough games the following days ... and then four days off without games. Not exactly a good time to be stewing about an inexcuseable loss.

This pretty much ruins my night. I wish I had some beer here.

Tony Cloninger
So they are limiting Leake's innings....no matter how many pitches he has thrown? So less than 90 is his limit? After Howard's hit...which was a blooper...I was not worried.....even Werth's hit was not very hard at all....and Cairo was hugging the line or else he gets it. Dobbs...of all people....is the one who wore him out, fouling pitches off and basically making him work out whatever he had left.

_Sir_Charles_
Howard...HR. Game.

I blame myself. I had this ready to post after the 1st out Leake recorded...."#50 And this one belongs to the Reds!". It's totally on me. :-(

Blitz Dorsey
07-09-2010, 10:12 PM
One of those losses we'll never forget. If we lose the Central by a game, it will be because of complete BS like this and the Atlanta game.

UKFlounder
Epic

flyer85
that stings

Blitz Dorsey
PATHETIC.

RedsManRick
I need a shot.

kbrake
Its a bad night, they happen. This team will bounce back. Cordero and Cabrera need to be addressed. Its not the end of the season.

KYRedsFan
Sad.

mbgrayson
Makes me so mad I could spit....

RedsMan3203
I'm glad I'm working tomorrow night... No Radio or TV....

Hope Dusty lights into them tonight....

Redsfan320
07-09-2010, 10:13 PM
I try not to be negative here but man.... :(

toledodan
I'm glad I'm working tomorrow night... No Radio or TV....

Hope Dusty lights into them tonight....

no someone needs to light into dusty.

_Sir_Charles_
Its a bad night, they happen. This team will bounce back. Cordero and Cabrera need to be addressed. Its not the end of the season.

Agreed. Right attitude too.

KYRedsFan
So much blame so little time. Players not executing. Dusty leaving Leake in. Just ridiculous

kbrake
I need a shot.

Ok who all is down for group shots on the internet? never done it but could make us feel better. Only those of age.

Matt700wlw
I've got nothing.

Blitz Dorsey
07-09-2010, 10:14 PM
If this doesn't make them do something about the guys holding the team back like Orlando Cabrera and FatBoy(notso)Slim Coco then nothing will.

WVRedsFan
So fricking stupid. Leake in too long. Codero continues to suck. And still we do this as if it's a script that has to be followed. Codero for the save, Every flipping time when as a closer his ERA is north of 4. Leaving Leake in when there was no need to. This is the beginning of what will be a difficult time. On the crusp of a 4 game lead, we'll be lucky to be in first place at the break. All for the soft heart of a managert who wanted the kid to get a complete game. Just so stupid

Redhook
On the bright side, this lessens the chance of the Reds extending Dusty's contract

_Sir_Charles_
Nearly identical game to the Braves loss. Leake started...blew a 6 run lead. Rhodes blows it in extras.

Degenerate39
Why did they pitch to Howard there? You just gave up a leadoff double and there's a fricken base open. Give him the pass and put the double play on. You cant let someone like Howard beat you

Cyclone792
07-09-2010, 10:15 PM
Epic collapse and now Halladay tomorrow. That's two games now to remember.

oneupper
You could say the Cards don't lose games this this one. But they do, also.
Turn the page. Two games to the All Star Break.

Blitz Dorsey
Again, this loss had nothing to do with Dusty, unless you think Janish should have been starting at SS instead of Cabrera. (Which he obviously should be by now.) Coco is the Reds' closer because of his contract. That is not going to change.

_Sir_Charles_
Anybody notice that Rhodes isn't getting any crap? Not exactly crisp either. It's all on Dusty & Cordero...and Cabrera. Rhodes certainly didn't help.

Brutus
Why did they pitch to Howard there? You just gave up a leadoff double and there's a fricken base open. Give him the pass and put the double play on. You cant let someone like Howard beat you

Lefty versus lefty. If it works, you can intentionally walk Werth to set up a double play.

I thought it was played well.

UKFlounder
Even after Leake & Cordero's meltdowns, it was only tied. Rhodes - supposedly their best reliever - comes in and blows it too. Is it Dusty's fault that Rhodes couldn't even last 1 inning? If your best guy fails, what are you to do?

GAC
07-09-2010, 10:16 PM
I need a shot.

Howard just gave you one. :p:

Will be interesting to hear Dusty's excuses in the post-game. Hope he's man enough to admit he made a bad decision. But I doubt you'll hear that. You will hear "Man! That was a tough one. Just gotta come back tomorrow and get after them."

Blitz Dorsey
07-09-2010, 10:16 PM
Rhodes never should have been in the game. It should have been over by then. The entire team was shellshocked they were in extra innings.

Degenerate39
07-09-2010, 10:17 PM
Lefty versus lefty. If it works, you can intentionally walk Werth to set up a double play.

I thought it was played well.

That's still Ryan Howard out there

dsmith421
Anybody notice that Rhodes isn't getting any crap? Not exactly crisp either.

He was terrible. He should never have had to pitch.

WVRedsFan
Agreed. Right attitude too.

Sorry, SC, it's that same attitude that kept the Reds losing for a decade. No Red cam do wrong, no matter how pitiful they play. Hearing Jim Day saying that same line. We should have won with proper moves. It is the fault of management and the individual pitchers. They failed. We lose. Game over. Just inexcusable. NO, more than inexcusable. Horrible.

alloverjr
07-09-2010, 10:18 PM
Anybody notice that Rhodes isn't getting any crap? Not exactly crisp either.

He's been stellar all year man. Had a bad night. Cordero's been abysmal all year by any measure except number of saves. Just because he makes 12 mil doesn't mean he has to pitch in every save situation. If you don't have it go to someone else. Lou doesn't seem to have thi problem.

HokieRed
Rhodes is also worn out. The way to avoid this is to spread the work around. Owings starts the 9th, the kid takes a shower. Everybody understands it's about winning the game, not getting a CG for Leake. There's a discipline everybody understands in advance. Dusty is to blame, period.

toledodan
Rhodes never should have been in the game. It should have been over by then. The entire team was shellshocked they were in extra innings.

you could see it in the voto AB. the life was sucked out of the team.

NC Reds
07-09-2010, 10:19 PM
We got beat by AAA hitters largely in the 9th.

I put the blame solely on Coco. One out, two run lead and no one on base AND lousy hitters coming up? That should be an easy save and he can't get it done again. Open up the closer job to competition. Enough.

HeatherC1212
We need the All Star break in a VERY bad way right now. There are too many guys running on fumes and Dusty clearly isn't thinking straight by leaving Mike in too long. He was great all night and IMO they should have left it at that and let someone else close out the ninth inning. And after the first run scored off him in the ninth, someone else should have been brought in to take care of the rest of the game to get Mike out of there. The closer should never have had to take the mound and Rhodes should never have had to be used either. I am SOOOOO unhappy right now. :rant:

kbrake
You guys are going to kill yourselves if you keep trying to pick apart everything that went wrong. Lots of players failed and it was a team collapse. We need the break we're almost there.

Brutus
That's still Ryan Howard out there

OPS this year vs LHP

Howard (.712)
Werth (.877)

3-year OPS vs. LHP

Howard (.741)
Werth (1.053)

I would have done exactly what Dusty did. Wouldn't think twice.

GAC
07-09-2010, 10:20 PM
Everybody understands it's about winning the game, not getting a CG for Leake. There's a discipline everybody understands in advance. Dusty is to blame, period.

Yep. But you won't hear the excuse-maker accepting any of the blame in the post-game.

UKFlounder
07-09-2010, 10:20 PM
So Leake completely falls apart with a 6 run lead and gets no blame at all? Give them 1 run per out in the 9th and the Reds win by 3, but he couldn't even do that.

This was a team loss, including Leake, Cordero & Rhodes. 8 runs in less than 2 innings pitched - each one failed

We got beat by AAA hitters largely in the 9th.

I put the blame solely on Coco. One out, two run lead and no one on base AND lousy hitters coming up? That should be an easy save and he can't get it done again. Open up the closer job to competition. Enough.

HokieRed
07-09-2010, 10:21 PM
I wouldn't call it a team loss when they got 15 hits.

GAC
07-09-2010, 10:22 PM
it was a team collapse.

Was a bullpen collapse preceded by a brain fart.

UKFlounder
Good point - but it was not just 1 player who blew it either.

I wouldn't call it a team loss when they got 15 hits.

flyer85
So Leake completely falls apart with a 6 run lead and gets no blame at all? he shouldn't have went out for the 9th

cincrazy
Sorry, SC, it's that same attitude that kept the Reds losing for a decade. No Red cam do wrong, no matter how pitiful they play. Hearing Jim Day saying that same line. We should have won with proper moves. It is the fault of management and the individual pitchers. They failed. We lose. Game over. Just inexcusable. NO, more than inexcusable. Horrible.

I know you're upset, but it's been a great season. This loss doesn't guarantee a tailspin. Check the schedule after the break. We get the Rockies at home, then Milwaukee, Houston, and Washington (can't remember which order).

We have time to address our weaknesses, and Walt will do so. The sky is not falling. The season is not over. I'm as sick as the next person over this loss, and I'm furious. But it's absurd to lay into half the time when the blame for this loss lies squarely at the feet of one.

HokieRed
Three FO's in a row have put together a pretty good team. Now it's time to get a manager to match.

Brutus
07-09-2010, 10:23 PM
he shouldn't have went out for the 9th

Anyone that's given up a single run on 84 pitches through 8 innings should start the 9th with a 6-run lead 100% of the time. That's not even debatable.

HeatherC1212
07-09-2010, 10:23 PM
I definitely won't be making fun of the Cardinals anymore for their bullpen collapses earlier this week. I think a little karma has bitten us in the behind in this series. :(

UKFlounder
07-09-2010, 10:24 PM
Should he have gone out for the 8th? Or the 7th? If you really believe in limiting innings, why have him for those 2, other than hindsight tells us he did fine in them. At what point is "enough enough" in terms of innings pitched? Is it okay to go 8, but not 9? Or 7, but not 8?

he shouldn't have went out for the 9th

alloverjr
07-09-2010, 10:25 PM
Three FO's in a row have put together a pretty good team. Now it's time to get a manager to match.

minus the bullpen.

guttle11
07-09-2010, 10:25 PM
It's all over, folks. Last one out please lock up. I don't know how this team will ever be able to overcome having a 2 game lead.

kaldaniels
07-09-2010, 10:26 PM
Where was all the outrage in the game thread when Leake went out for the 9th?

alloverjr
07-09-2010, 10:26 PM
It's all over, folks. Last one out please lock up. I don't know how this team will ever be able to overcome having a 2 game lead.

Which will disappear by Sunday night.

flyer85
07-09-2010, 10:27 PM
Anyone that's given up a single run on 84 pitches through 8 innings should start the 9th with a 6-run lead 100% of the time. That's not even debatable.
am I the only one who has heard the talk of
1) limiting his innings
2) shutting Leake down at some point

If the above is true I would say a six run lead after 8 is as good of an opportunity as you are going to get to pull him. It doesn't make any sense to leave him in the game.

HeatherC1212
07-09-2010, 10:28 PM
OK, the loss sucks and yes, we're all a little cranky now (even me) but the SEASON wasn't over after any of the other crappy losses the guys have had this year and it won't be over after this loss either. We need the All Star break just as much as the players right now. :eek:

flyer85
07-09-2010, 10:30 PM
Should he have gone out for the 8th? Or the 7th? If you really believe in limiting innings, why have him for those 2, other than hindsight tells us he did fine in them. At what point is "enough enough" in terms of innings pitched? Is it okay to go 8, but not 9? Or 7, but not 8?
I would have had no issue with pulling him after 6 of 7. Dusty didn't, IMO, because he would be 2nd guessed if he pulled him early and things went south.

You are either trying to limit his innings are you aren't. I see no evidence the Reds are trying to limit Leake.

Brutus
07-09-2010, 10:31 PM
am I the only one who has heard the talk of
1) limiting his innings
2) shutting Leake down at some point

If the above is true I would say a six run lead after 8 is as good of an opportunity as you are going to get to pull him. It doesn't make any sense to leave him in the game.

Going out for one more inning means absolutely nothing to whenever Leake is going to reach his breaking point.

Further, limiting his innings has nothing to do with the Reds winning or losing this game. It's completely a separate issue.

flyer85
07-09-2010, 10:32 PM
the pen is in serious trouble. Rhodes is due for some regressing and has been overworked and no one else has been very good. Reds need some bullpen arms.

flyer85
07-09-2010, 10:33 PM
Going out for one more inning means absolutely nothing to whenever Leake is going to reach his breaking point.

Further, limiting his innings has nothing to do with the Reds winning or losing this game. It's completely a separate issue.
if you do it consistently for 2 to 3 months it sure could. I see no evidence they are doing it all.

alloverjr
the pen is in serious trouble. Rhodes is due for some regressing and has been overworked and no one else has been very good. Reds need some bullpen arms.

And this is where Walt has failed miserably this year.

cincrazy
Where was all the outrage in the game thread when Leake went out for the 9th?

Yeah, no doubt. Were those posts mistakenly deleted?

flyer85
Further, limiting his innings has nothing to do with the Reds winning or losing this game. I never said it did.

Brutus
07-09-2010, 10:34 PM
if you do it consistently for 2 to 3 months it sure could. I see no evidence they are doing it all.

You don't? He's pitched into the 8th inning or more only twice all season.

WVRedsFan
07-09-2010, 10:35 PM
I know you're upset, but it's been a great season. This loss doesn't guarantee a tailspin. Check the schedule after the break. We get the Rockies at home, then Milwaukee, Houston, and Washington (can't remember which order).

We have time to address our weaknesses, and Walt will do so. The sky is not falling. The season is not over. I'm as sick as the next person over this loss, and I'm furious. But it's absurd to lay into half the time when the blame for this loss lies squarely at the feet of one.Everyone knows that sports is a series of opportunities. You miss one or two and it means the season--even a long season like baseball. Last night and tonight were opportunities that the Reds, if they are a good team (and I think they are) should take. The Reds did not. Two nights in a row, the bullpen failed. Miserably. Tony's son said it last night--the Reds cannot hope to complete if they cannot hold a lead with the bullpen they have. It's fact to say that, but if you know that (and I dom't think Dusty does know that), you've got a problem.

You cannot blame the rook, but you can blame the manager who bullheadedly sent the rook out for the ninth inning in a game where winning was important than a CG for the rook. You can blame the bullheaded manager for believeing that the closer will be able to close out a game. Codero has been very shaky this year and to beleive he can do business borders on insanity.

Yes, I'm upset, not so much at the loss, but the stupidity of the decisons made and the preformances of the so-called bullpen.

"We should had a lot more runs," according to Dusty. Duh, you had a 6 run lead. NO blame for Dusty from himself or the apologists. Good grief.

flyer85
07-09-2010, 10:36 PM
You don't? He's pitched into the 8th inning or more only twice all season.you have to consistently remove him an inning or two early, it doesn't matter what the inning is ... Nats seem to be doing it with Strasberg (he is averaging 6IP and 80 pitches per start)

alloverjr
07-09-2010, 10:38 PM
you have to consistently remove him an inning or two early, it doesn't matter what the inning is ... Nats seem to be doing it with Strasberg (he is averaging 6IP and 80 pitches per start)

I believe Leake's throwing about 97 per.

Brutus
07-09-2010, 10:42 PM
you have to consistently remove him an inning or two early, it doesn't matter what the inning is ... Nats seem to be doing it with Strasberg (he is averaging 6IP and 80 pitches per start)

Even if you remove him an inning early every start, you're still only saving about 30 innings. I don't really see the big deal here.

The Reds are going to have a chance to start bumping starts and pushing him back an extra couple of days. They'll be able to save some innings the last two months of the year. So I just can't see any reason to second guess not taking him out after 84 pitches and a lead of half a dozen.

Tony Cloninger
07-09-2010, 10:43 PM
Leakes innings have been monitored very well and they have not been pushing him at all.

Prior to this game.....he had barely gone 7 innings, if not 6 in most of his starts...along with hardly ever hitting 100 pitches. I think some people pounced real fast once the Dobbs HR was hit...it was as if they were sitting by the computer with their fingers ready to type if it happened.

flyer85
07-09-2010, 10:45 PM
Even if you remove him an inning early every start, you're still only saving about 30 innings. I don't really see the big deal here. which is 4-5 starts and if you skip him now and then and push him back you could have gotten him through September. 2 or 3 starts could be a big deal, it may come down to that.

kaldaniels
07-09-2010, 10:47 PM
Leakes innings have been monitored very well and they have not been pushing him at all.

Prior to this game.....he had barely gone 7 innings, if not 6 in most of his starts...along with hardly ever hitting 100 pitches. I think some people pounced real fast once the Dobbs HR was hit...it was as if they were sitting by the computer with their fingers ready to type if it happened.

It really is a good system if you ask me.

Reds win: A great night of course.
Reds lose: Head to the computer and make like you are a genius.

:rolleyes:

kbrake
07-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Last time I ever stop doing PBP after we get out to a 4-0 lead. I mailed it in, my bad.

traderumor
07-10-2010, 12:19 AM
Dusty and trying to get guys some silly personal accomplishment bites us again. As soon as the seeing eye singles bounced through the infield off the sluggers bats, you could sense another Three Mile Island event.

Dusty will never do it, but the right thing to do at this stage is situational closing. The pecking order method isn't working with the performance of the cast of characters. Regardless, losing 6 run leads in the ninth at the major league level is inexcusable. It just should never happen, yet here we are looking at two of them in half a season.

TheNext44
07-10-2010, 12:55 AM
Dusty and trying to get guys some silly personal accomplishment bites us again. As soon as the seeing eye singles bounced through the infield off the sluggers bats, you could sense another Three Mile Island event.

Dusty will never do it, but the right thing to do at this stage is situational closing. The pecking order method isn't working with the performance of the cast of characters. Regardless, losing 6 run leads in the ninth at the major league level is inexcusable. It just should never happen, yet here we are looking at two of them in half a season.

I thought that too after the Braves game. I hope it's true now.

GAC
07-10-2010, 05:30 AM
I like Dusty's post game...... "We left too many men on base. We should have had a lot more runs then that."

True, but you had a 6 run lead guy in the 9th inning. LOB was not the reason as to why you lost this game.

redsfandan
07-10-2010, 06:24 AM
Fwiw, the Reds left 22 players on base. The Phillies? Only 6. The only team that left more guys on base yesterday was Baltimore. That's not good. We can say that's not why they lost and that 7 runs should be enough to win. But, that sure didn't help.

Degenerate39
07-10-2010, 07:42 AM
I like Dusty's post game...... "We left too many men on base. We should have had a lot more runs then that."

True, but you had a 6 run lead guy in the 9th inning. LOB was not the reason as to why you lost this game.

How many more runs did you need Dusty? You were up 6 runs in the 9th!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

mth123
07-10-2010, 09:46 AM

Yep

mth123
07-10-2010, 10:16 AM
Wasn't in the game thread last night when the game was on so just getting around to some points.

1. I agree with those who say Cordero has lost it. I also agree that his weight could be a problem and his heavy use earlier in the year is a big contributing factor. The team came out of Spring training with an unprepared pitching staff. No one had gone much more than 5 innings in a ST game and they just didn't seem ready to start the season IMO. It took getting lit up most of April before the rotation rounded into form and by then the pen was already in bad shape. Dusty takes heat while Bryan Price is praised regularly, but I'm not sold on Price at this point.

2. Leake starting the 9th was the right move, but after the Howard hit, he should have been out of there. Again, lots of heat on Dusty, no one questioning Price.

3. Cabrera needs a DL Stint to rest up, get healthy and then a rehab to see if he'll hit better. Cozart is doing ok (.742 OPS), maybe its time for a look. If not, Janish can start and give Valaika a look in a utility role.

4. The Reds offense wasn't really the problem, but I wonder if they could have had more. Farney made a couple more appearances with the two usual guys making outs on the bases. Phillips was nailed at second trying to stretch and Votto was picked off 1B. Stubbs had a Farney-like game (and was quietly and deservedly asked to sit this one out I noticed) the night before. This team has been winning, but they sure make a lot of mistakes.

5. The lack of the TOR starter hasn't been the problem these last two days, but now they need to face the Philly hammers on Saturday and Sunday and the Reds really have no one to match-up with either of them. A four game slide going into the break could undo a lot of the good that has happened this year. Lets hope the Reds can pull one out, but I don't want to rely on hope for the rest of the year. Lee is gone, go get Oswalt.

Tony Cloninger
07-10-2010, 10:42 AM
Agree with the Price gets the free pass comment....he seems to.....and we all know that Dick Pole would not be getting any pass at all. But since he is young....and is not a supposed Baker hire....he does get more of a pass than Pole ever did. Pole never got credit for anything and blame for everything.
Is Price not awake either when a pitcher is losing it? Or was that only Pole?

Hoosier Red
07-10-2010, 12:07 PM

So who should have closed? Rhodes? He of the two crushed balls in the 10th by left handers?
Would have liked to have seen Redszone's reaction to Massett or Bray being brought in. Maybe Jordan Smith? Ondrusek? Micah Owings(maybe thats what they've been saving him for?)

Hoosier Red
07-10-2010, 12:12 PM
I believe Leake's throwing about 97 per.

Strasberg is playing for a team that has no interest in this year. The Reds have been fairly consistent that Leake would get rope up until 100 pitches, if you're going to start cutting that back at this point I think you'd need more justification than Strasberg. If a guy is in the starting rotation I think it's reasonable to expect 90-100 pitches out of him. The Reds thought Leake could get 3 more outs I don't think that's unreasonable for a guy who was averaging 10 pitches/inning.

traderumor
07-10-2010, 02:47 PM
So who should have closed? Rhodes? He of the two crushed balls in the 10th by left handers?
Would have liked to have seen Redszone's reaction to Massett or Bray being brought in. Maybe Jordan Smith? Ondrusek? Micah Owings(maybe thats what they've been saving him for?)Really? You're going to dog Rhodes after the season he's had? The point was that Coco as THE CLOSER is not working, so try a different strategy. I really don't care who you bring in to get the last three outs, have each guy get one. Why does anyone have to "close?" Try something, for goodness' sake.