PDA

View Full Version : Roy Oswalt Discussion

Benihana
07-09-2010, 08:53 PM
If there's one for Haren, might as well be one for Oswalt now that Lee is gone. Obviously, it's less likely that the Reds get Oswalt given his large salary and the fact that he plays for a division rival, but never say never.

My proposal would be as follows:

Francisco Cordero and any 2 of the following:
Homer Bailey
Travis Wood
Drew Stubbs
Chris Heisey
Yonder Alonso

for

Roy Oswalt and Matt Lindstrom

I'd put Cordero in the deal to help partially offset the money. Houston would still be off loading 1-2 years of Oswalt's salary in exchange for two blue chippers- three of which have Texas roots (Bailey, Stubbs, and Wood). Cordero can close for Houston next year, while Lindstrom can replace Cordero's production for cheaper. Admittedly, this is unlikely to happen, but might as well start some discussion.

HokieRed
07-09-2010, 09:19 PM
Why would Houston want Cordero's salary?

mth123
07-09-2010, 09:26 PM
If there's one for Haren, might as well be one for Oswalt now that Lee is gone. Obviously, it's less likely that the Reds get Oswalt given his large salary and the fact that he plays for a division rival, but never say never.

Homer Bailey
Travis Wood
Drew Stubbs
Chris Heisey
Yonder Alonso

for

I'd put Cordero in the deal to help partially offset the money. Houston would still be off loading 1-2 years of Oswalt's salary in exchange for two blue chippers- three of which have Texas roots (Bailey, Stubbs, and Wood). Cordero can close for Houston next year, while Lindstrom can replace Cordero's production for cheaper. Admittedly, this is unlikely to happen, but might as well start some discussion.

Actually, I have simiar thoughts, but its Harang that I think should go back the other way. Add in Wood, Alonso, Valaika and Valiquette for Oswalt and Lindstrom. Harang evens the cash and the Astros can probably flip him for a middle of the road prospect. Alonso and Wood would be mainstays, Valiquette a chance to contribute in the pen and Valaika provides help for the IF and maybe as a supersub. It would be a big step toward an Astro's rebuild and Oswalt would anchor the TOR in Cincy. If the Astros balk at taking in Harang, then Wood becomes Maloney, and Valiquette becomes Fisher and Valaika is excluded completely.

Oswalt
Arroyo
Cueto
Leake/Bailey
Volquez/Maloney

Owings
Bray
Ondrusek
Masett
Rhodes
Lindstom
Cordero

I actually prefer Oswalt to Haren and even Lee since he will be around in 2011.

mth123
07-09-2010, 09:30 PM
Why would Houston want Cordero's salary?

They wouldn't, but Oswalt carries a big commitment. If the talent deficient Astros want to use dealing Oswalt to lay the foundation for a talent infusion, they'll need to take a contract back or send along cash. Taking a contract or sending cash gets them a much better package of players. Its doubtful they would take one that goes beyond 2010 though.

Big Klu
07-09-2010, 09:32 PM

Homer Bailey
Travis Wood
Drew Stubbs
Chris Heisey
Yonder Alonso

for

Assuming for the sake of argument that the Astros bite on this deal, and they select Stubbs and Heisey from the list, who then plays CF for the Reds?

Benihana
07-10-2010, 02:30 PM
Assuming for the sake of argument that the Astros bite on this deal, and they select Stubbs and Heisey from the list, who then plays CF for the Reds?

Why, Gary Matthews Jr. of course. :cool:

Don't worry, it wouldn't happen. If you wanted to, you could tell Houston they have their choice of one of the CFs plus another player (with Cordero). I don't think it would matter, because I don't think they'd want both anyway.

My guess is they'd want at least one of the pitchers (Bailey or Wood) along with either Stubbs or Alonso. But of course you never know.

Benihana
07-10-2010, 02:33 PM
They wouldn't, but Oswalt carries a big commitment. If the talent deficient Astros want to use dealing Oswalt to lay the foundation for a talent infusion, they'll need to take a contract back or send along cash. Taking a contract or sending cash gets them a much better package of players. Its doubtful they would take one that goes beyond 2010 though.

Exactly. Harang or Cordero would do, although it would be nice if it were Cordero because that would provide a lot more salary relief. Harang would be nice because he clearly wouldn't be needed for the rotation if a guy like Oswalt was acquired, but maybe Houston wants to dupe their fan base into thinking they might be trying to compete next year with a Cordero acquisition. Obviously they wouldn't be, but who knows- it is Texas after all. :cool:

Brutus
07-10-2010, 02:52 PM
That's giving up entirely too much, even if we entertain the .0000001% chance the Astros would take Cordero's salary.

corkedbat
07-10-2010, 02:59 PM
By this logic could take Berkman's contract too and make them take both Harang & Cordero. :D

lollipopcurve
07-10-2010, 03:30 PM
I think Benihana's proposal is a sound one. I think you'd have to offer guys like Stubbs and Bailey in order to get the deal done. I like this idea a lot better than selling a handful of our top prospects for a rental. Oswalt is a great fit in Cincy, IMO, better than Haren.

buckeyenut
07-10-2010, 10:03 PM
I'd go harang, Alonso, Francisco, Maloney, smith (or other reliever prospect) for oswalt and lindstrom

membengal
07-11-2010, 02:39 AM
I sure do wish you would stop trying to give Wood away, mth.

Any chance you are changing your mind on his long-term value yet?

TheNext44
07-11-2010, 04:46 AM
The Reds will not trade any player who is currently, or who they think will contribute to the major league club this season. They like the make up of this team. Walt has said as much, on more than one occasion.

But they still have plenty of prospects to trade to get Haren or Oswalt. And to be honest, I think money will not be an issue. If Cast believes that a player will get this team to the postseason, he will pay for him.

mth123
07-11-2010, 07:41 AM
I sure do wish you would stop trying to give Wood away, mth.

Any chance you are changing your mind on his long-term value yet?

I was impressed last night by how he pitched the 9th after losing his perfect game. Of course I'd rather not give him up, but the Reds need an established hammer for down the stretch and since I think its highly likely that the Reds will not repeat the production that they are getting from 2B, 3B, LH relief and C that they are getting this year, they may not be in a better position to go for it even if the development plan works.

If they can get a deal w/o dealing Wood, sure. But deals for TOR starters usually require near ready coveted arms. Its why I hated dealing Stewart last year for Rolen, If he was still here, he could be the guy in this year's deal.

PuffyPig
07-11-2010, 08:56 AM
Stubbs will not be traded, nor should he be.

Scrap Irony
07-11-2010, 10:26 AM
I think an offer of Harang, Francisco, Alonso, Maloney, Rosario and Smith/ Ondrusek would get Oswalt and Lindstrom.

That makes both the pen and the rotation much stronger and gives Houston two infield starters, two rotation members, and two relievers.

That's a bunch of talent to give up while still adding salary, but it's what I'd do.

mth123
07-11-2010, 10:48 AM
I think an offer of Harang, Francisco, Alonso, Maloney, Rosario and Smith/ Ondrusek would get Oswalt and Lindstrom.

That makes both the pen and the rotation much stronger and gives Houston two infield starters, two rotation members, and two relievers.

That's a bunch of talent to give up while still adding salary, but it's what I'd do.

Depends what they think of Francisco. If they think he's going to hit HR in Houston, they might bite. Otherwise, its a pricey starter who will be a free agent, the second coming of Lyle Overbay and a bunch of fringe guys.

I think that package could get Oswalt if you'd leave Harang out of it. Might need to leave Lindstrom out too. Word is Houston doesn't want to eat any money, so I doubt they'd take Harang which has the same effect. Too bad Harang is on the DL. If he was healthy the Reds could probably deal him for a bag of magic beans and open the salary slot to take on Oswalt. Might still be able to get it done if he comes back and pitches after the break.

I think to get Houston to take Harang you'd need to upgrade Francisco to Heisey or Maloney to Wood or maybe both if you want Lindstrom too.

mth123
07-11-2010, 09:02 PM
Its the All Star break and I'm already bored.

For giggles, how about a 3 team deal with the White Sox and Astros. The Sox get Aaron Harang to replace Peavey, the Reds get Oswalt and the Astros get Yonder Alonso, Dayan Viciedo, Danny Rae Herrera and Sam Lecure. The Astros send a couple million to Chicago to cover Harang's buy-out.

WVRedsFan
07-12-2010, 12:18 AM
Its the All Star break and I'm already bored.

For giggles, how about a 3 team deal with the White Sox and Astros. The Sox get Aaron Harang to replace Peavey, the Reds get Oswalt and the Astros get Yonder Alonso, Dayan Viciedo, Danny Rae Herrera and Sam Lecure. The Astros send a couple million to Chicago to cover Harang's buy-out.

Bored too. Never watch the AS game, but might peek this year to see if Charlie actually plays any of the Reds (I doubt it), but I go along with your idea. Just so long if the principals do not involve Wood, Leake, Heisey, or Stubbs, I'm OK with it.

OTOH, none of this will happen, so why dream? Like I had a plan once to get a date with this hot lady and it seemed fool proof, but it wasn't and she laughed at me. I imagine the Astros and Sox would do the same with this proposal. It's awful being ugly in a world where beauty is paramount. And that's just what MLB thinks of the Reds. Ugly.