Degenerate39
07-10-2010, 08:31 PM
Delete this thread hurry!

Ron Madden
07-10-2010, 08:32 PM
Wow.

RBA
07-10-2010, 08:33 PM
The cat is out of the bag. It's too late.

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2010, 08:38 PM
Wow. Suspend fearofpopvol1's account for a month. ;)

reds44
07-10-2010, 08:39 PM
Wow.

fearofpopvol1
07-10-2010, 08:43 PM
Sorry.

For what it's worth, it didn't affect Rollins after I said something.

_Sir_Charles_
07-10-2010, 08:46 PM
I'm stunned you did that.

fearofpopvol1
07-10-2010, 08:48 PM
now on espn.com: http://espn.go.com/

Redsfan320
07-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Come on guys, give him a break. He was just trying an oppo-jinx. Don't y'all know the power of that!!

Blitz Dorsey
07-10-2010, 09:06 PM
Not sure this thread was needed.

Blitz Dorsey
07-10-2010, 09:09 PM
Although, this is probably a good place to mention that I'm pretty sure Paul Keels does not know the difference between a no-hitter and a perfect game. He keeps saying Wood has a "no-hitter" but has said nothing about a "perfect game."

redsfandan
07-10-2010, 09:10 PM
Gee, are people overreacting about this thread? lol

fearofpopvol1
07-10-2010, 09:10 PM
the game is the live look-in on the MLB network currently.

Dan
07-10-2010, 09:11 PM
Wood's change up with a 2-1 count on Ransom was a thing of beauty. He keeps doing that he's going to have Glavine like success.

klw
07-10-2010, 09:12 PM
On the plus side it is the only active thread on Redszone where Cliff Lee is not mentioned. Lee by the way would have already completed his perfect game, would have gone 3 for 3 with 3 homers, and done the post game interview by now.

George Anderson
07-10-2010, 09:21 PM
Although, this is probably a good place to mention that I'm pretty sure Paul Keels does not know the difference between a no-hitter and a perfect game. He keeps saying Wood has a "no-hitter" but has said nothing about a "perfect game."

I know that was driving me nuts. No Hitters are not unique or special like a perfect game. Keels looks like a goof IMO.

jojo
07-10-2010, 09:28 PM
Sorry.

For what it's worth, it didn't affect Rollins after I said something.

It's time to pull out the Hello Kitty avatar....

membengal
07-10-2010, 09:30 PM
It's time to pull out the Hello Kitty avatar....

Still think he profiles as a 5th starter?

HeatherC1212
07-10-2010, 09:30 PM
Mad props to Travis Wood for an outstanding game tonight. :)

Falls City Beer
07-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I know it's water under the bridge, but man, pitching through the ninth after having lost the PG, was uber-gutsy. I don't know what Wood's future is, but the guy earned some serious kudos from me on that. That is nails, balls, stones, all the mildly inappropriate metaphors.

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2010, 09:32 PM
I can't even begin to describe how incredible Travis Wood was tonight. That, IMO, is clearly the most dominant start by a Reds pitcher since Tom Browning's perfect game in 1988. Think about it for a minute - Travis Wood, making only his 3rd career major league start, pitching on the road against a good offense in a huge hitters park, carried a perfect game into the 9th inning. Simply amazing. And he got a no decision. What a shame. Congrats to Travis on an unbelievable start!

membengal
07-10-2010, 09:36 PM
There's a reason that some of us were advocating not dealing him for a rental. And saying that his ceiling is undefined, no matter how many "his ceiling is 5th starter" got tossed around.

His minor league track record is exemplary and his stuff is plus. Love watching that kid pitch.

He was nails in Chicago in a tight game in his debut, took the bullet last Monday on short rest and gave them a chance to win, which they did, and just matched Halladay tonite and darn near did something that defines historic. It many have been historic in its own right.

Love this kid's game.

jojo
07-10-2010, 09:36 PM
Still think he profiles as a 5th starter?

I said back end and ya.

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Travis Wood is trending #3 on twitter.

fearofpopvol1
07-10-2010, 09:53 PM
Wood is definitely a major league starter. This is not a Maloney type of guy...he's got legit stuff. And he's had 3 excellent starts thus far against pretty good teams, all of which have been starts on the road.

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2010, 10:04 PM
Travis Wood is consistently around 92 mph with movement - that's above average velocity for a major league lefty. He also has a plus changeup and an above average cutter. And his command/control has improved a lot this season. I think people are underselling him on here. I think he's got the stuff to be a No. 2 starter.

lollipopcurve
07-10-2010, 10:22 PM
I said back end and ya.

You don't know what you're looking at.

This kid has mid-rotation stuff, no question.

reds1869
07-10-2010, 10:29 PM
That was one of the best pitched games I've ever seen two starters deliver. Halladay was excellent as always and Wood showed just how much promise he has. Congrats to Mr. Wood on a brilliant gem of a game.

_Sir_Charles_
07-10-2010, 10:30 PM
Congratulations to Travis. That was one heck of a gem he threw out there tonight. I don't get to watch many Reds games, but this was a beauty to see.

Screwball
07-10-2010, 10:30 PM
You don't know what you're looking at.

This kid has mid-rotation stuff, no question.

Easily. Not to mention control to both sides of the plate and mental toughness to spare. Does he remind anyone else of Mark Buehrle?

reds44
07-10-2010, 10:31 PM
He looks like the second coming of John Danks.

We need to leave him in the rotation.

Cueto
Leake
Arroyo
Volquez
Wood

So let it be written, so let it be done.

reds1869
07-10-2010, 10:33 PM
He looks like the second coming of John Danks.

We need to leave him in the rotation.

Cueto
Leake
Arroyo
Volquez
Wood

So let it be written, so let it be done.

A healthy Bailey and a back-of-his-baseball card Harang would do wonders for the bullpen. I like that rotation.

reds44
07-10-2010, 10:34 PM
A healthy Bailey and a back-of-his-baseball card Harang would do wonders for the bullpen. I like that rotation.
And with Harang/Bailey in the bullpen, you have long guys in case Leake needs to skip a start.

Harang's in the last year of his deal, do whatever with him.

Blitz Dorsey
07-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Absolutely heart-wrenching to lose games like this in back-to-back nights. Totally different games, both heart-wrenching. Blow a 6-run lead in the freakin' 9th inning for the second time this year. Then the next night your rookie stud goes out there and almost throws a freakin' perfect game against the Phillies in their park and you don't even get the win.

Time to drink some beers and try and forget about all of this nonsense. At least we will go into the AS break in sole possession of first place, but dammit this stings.

Big props to Travis Wood though. Man are we just dripping with quality young pitching. And we haven't even seen Chapman with the big club yet. Also have Volquez waiting in the wings. And Bailey is still alive last time I checked.

paintmered
07-10-2010, 10:41 PM
Perfect through 6!!

I've never been more disappointed in a single RZ post in the nearly 10 years I've been here. This is just...wow.

http://humantestsubjects.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/facepalm.jpg

*bans fearofpopvol1 to remedial baseball school*

VR
07-10-2010, 10:43 PM
I'm giving Hanigan some serious credit here as well (for his receiving, not his un-clutchness w/ the bat)

He can frame pitches much better than Razor.....and while CERA isn't the end-all, be-all of stats....it can't be overlooked. He's a very very good receiver.

Screwball
07-10-2010, 10:52 PM
Absolutely heart-wrenching to lose games like this in back-to-back nights. Totally different games, both heart-wrenching. Blow a 6-run lead in the freakin' 9th inning for the second time this year. Then the next night your rookie stud goes out there and almost throws a freakin' perfect game against the Phillies in their park and you don't even get the win.

Don't forget about Thursday night. The Reds lost in walk-off fashion in the 12th then too. That's 3 straight back-breaking extra-inning losses for our boys. A win tomorrow might be needed for morale more than anything.

Brutus
07-10-2010, 10:54 PM
http://files.posterous.com/stevecs/WeFohwYOyjENNUqW2pJnjyK0YSaTA7AHnVMBjAtZF9wWb4z87n NNE8nMAHDY/DoubleFacePalm.jpg?AWSAccessKeyId=1C9REJR1EMRZ83Q7 QRG2&Expires=1278817172&Signature=%2BGPZjzXLTPklcyORm2EE2QnC0%2FE%3D

Screwball
07-10-2010, 10:57 PM
Seriously, fearofpop, what in the world were you thinking when you started this thread?

Redsfan320
07-10-2010, 11:00 PM
^^^
It was an oppo-jinx, where by blatantly stating it, you actually nix the jinx.

On a more serious note, you don't actually think that what someone writes on an internet message board effects how someone pitches, do you? I mean really.

reds44
07-10-2010, 11:01 PM
^^^

On a more serious note, you don't actually think that what someone writes on an internet message board effects how someone pitches, do you? I mean really.

Of course it has no effect, but still, you just don't do it. It's not illegal, it's frowned upon, like....(insert hangover line here).

Brutus
07-10-2010, 11:01 PM
^^^

Baseball and superstition go hand-in-hand, kid

:thumbup:

kaldaniels
07-10-2010, 11:02 PM
This is a thread that will live in infamy.

OnBaseMachine
07-10-2010, 11:04 PM
I'm still trying to let this sink in. Travis Wood, making his third major league start, carried a perfect game into the 9th inning against the two time defending NL Champs IN Philadelphia. That's amazing.

Redsfan320
07-10-2010, 11:05 PM
Of course it has no effect, but still, you just don't do it. It's not illegal, it's frowned upon,

Oh, I know you don't do it, but you're all laying into this guy like he should be ran out of town with pitchforks and torches. Lay off a bit is all I'm sayin'. Now I'm starting to sound kind of policy though.

reds44
07-10-2010, 11:06 PM
Oh, I know you don't do it, but you're all laying into this guy like he should be ran out of town with pitchforks and torches. Lay off a bit is all I'm sayin'. Now I'm starting to sound kind of policy though.

Nobody is acting like that.

Matt700wlw
07-10-2010, 11:09 PM
What a performance by Wood. Absoulely a thing of beauty. The Reds have some studs.

kbrake
07-10-2010, 11:09 PM
The first page of this thread is fantastic.

fearofpopvol1
07-10-2010, 11:13 PM
Truth be told, I was trying to reverse the jinx. It didn't work, but I don't think I jinxed it seeing as how he pitched perfectly for 2 additional innings after I said anything.

Ron Madden
07-10-2010, 11:31 PM
Truth be told, I was trying to reverse the jinx. It didn't work, but I don't think I jinxed it seeing as how he pitched perfectly for 2 additional innings after I said anything.

Next time don't do anything. ;)

WVRedsFan
07-10-2010, 11:35 PM
It was the media's fault, including our own guys.

mace
07-10-2010, 11:54 PM
I can't even begin to describe how incredible Travis Wood was tonight. That, IMO, is clearly the most dominant start by a Reds pitcher since Tom Browning's perfect game in 1988. Think about it for a minute - Travis Wood, making only his 3rd career major league start, pitching on the road against a good offense in a huge hitters park, carried a perfect game into the 9th inning. Simply amazing. And he got a no decision. What a shame. Congrats to Travis on an unbelievable start!

Agree with this, entirely. I also agree with Falls City that Wood's ninth inning might have been the most impressive of all, given the circumstances. Heart, stuff and command make a wonderful combination.

Early on, about the third or fourth--long before the perfect game was a real issue--I mentioned to my wife that Wood was consistently making the best pitches I've seen in a long time. Maybe since Jose Rijo in the '90 World Series. I mean, he was hitting the inside corner, the outside corner, the high end, the low end, and all with bend and changes of speed. It really was masterful.

fearofpopvol1
07-11-2010, 02:14 AM
Comments on Wood...

From the Phils:

"Of course I like for our team to score runs, I'm an offensive manager," Phillies manager Charlie Manuel said. "But good baseball is real good, and both of those pitchers pitched great tonight. Wood deserves a lot of credit."

"He had good life on his fastball," Phillies outfielder Ben Francisco said. "He was throwing four pitches over there for strikes and he just got ahead of all of us. He wasn't behind many of us at all. It makes us tough on you."

From the Reds...

Dusty Baker has spent the better part of his 61 years on this earth in and around the game of baseball.

So when he said, "That was one of the best performances I've seen in a long, long time," it truly meant something special.

"I got real comfortable with what we were going to do once I saw him in the bullpen," rookie catcher Ryan Hanigan said. "Just use the cutter to try and put people away. He told me some things he wanted to do and he had command of all his pitches. He got guys out in different ways. It wasn't set in any one pattern. I think once he established inside, it opened up the outer part of the plate. He elevated real well with two strikes to get guys to pop up and he made pitches when he needed to early."

"I was in panic mode," left fielder Jonny Gomes said of his emotions during the game. "I wasn't too nervous to get the ball or anything but I must have done 70 squats to stay in a complete ready position. You know, a foul ball straight back and you take a step or two to catch it.

"It's absolutely fun and beautiful to watch. It's breathtaking on defense but unfortunately, we weren't able to get him the win he deserved."

CTA513
07-11-2010, 02:30 AM
Heres a short 4 minute video of Wood pitching last night:

http://cincinnati.reds.mlb.com/video/play.jsp?content_id=9871493

It shows the out pitch of each out leading up to the 9th inning double.

OnBaseMachine
07-11-2010, 02:37 AM
It's a doggone shame Wood didn't get the win. He's had some bad luck so far. 1st start: 7 shutout innings, walks first two batters in the 8th inning and the bullpen allows both runs to score. No decision. 2nd start: Was told an hour before the game he would be pitching on three days rest. He proceeds to go out and hold his own under tough circumstances. 3rd start: Carries a perfect game into the 9th inning in a playoff type atmosphere. No decision. What a great performance. It turned out to be a very painful loss, just like the previous two games in Philly, but what a game. That felt like a playoff game.

It's exciting to have another young and talented arm on the pitching staff. Travis Wood, Mike Leake, Johnny Cueto, Aroldis Chapman, Edinson Volquez, Homer Bailey, Logan Ondrusek, Bill Bray. The Reds are putting together an exciting core of young arms. That doesn't even include guys like Jose Arredondo, who was arguably one of the top 5 relievers in baseball in 2008 before elbow problems popped up, and Donnie Joseph who is having one of the most dominant seasons in the minor leagues.

TheNext44
07-11-2010, 02:51 AM
This reminds of the near perfect game thrown my Ron Robinson on May 2, 1988 against the Expos.

The TV crew that year was Johnny Bench and Jay Randolph, who was a great Golf announcer, but as a Baseball announcer, all I can say is that he was a great Golf announcer.

Around the 7th inning, Jay burst in like he just realized something, "Hey Ron Robinson is pitching a no hitter, wait, he's pitching a perfect game so far!"

Bench nearly killed him. He ripped into Jay for violating one of the biggest unwritten rules in baseball. He blamed Jay ahead time, in case Robinson lost it later in the game. Jay brushed it off as a joke and asked Johnny if he really believed such "old wive's tales." Johnny refused to talk to Jay the rest of the game.

Sure enough, two out in the ninth, perfect game in tact, Robinson leaves a curveball up in the zone for PH Wallace Johnson, who smacks it up the middle for a clean single. Next batter Tim Raines, hits a Homer. Luckily the Reds were up 3-0, so it was only 3-2, but Manager Rose had to take Robinson out, and Franco got Johnny Paredes for the final out. So Robinson lost the perfect game, no hitter, shutout and complete game in a matter of minutes. He did get the win, however.

When Johnson got the single, Johnny immediately blamed Jay, saying "I told you so" over and over again. That was Jay's last and only year as a Reds announcer.

Matt700wlw
07-11-2010, 03:01 AM
This reminds of the near perfect game thrown my Ron Robinson on May 2, 1988 against the Expos.

The TV crew that year was Johnny Bench and Jay Randolph, who was a great Golf announcer, but as a Baseball announcer, all I can say is that he was a great Golf announcer.

Around the 7th inning, Jay burst in like he just realized something, "Hey Ron Robinson is pitching a no hitter, wait, he's pitching a perfect game so far!"

Bench nearly killed him. He ripped into Jay for violating one of the biggest unwritten rules in baseball. He blamed Jay ahead time, in case Robinson lost it later in the game. Jay brushed it off as a joke and asked Johnny if he really believed such "old wive's tales." Johnny refused to talk to Jay the rest of the game.

Sure enough, two out in the ninth, perfect game in tact, Robinson leaves a curveball up in the zone for PH Wallace Johnson, who smacks it up the middle for a clean single. Next batter Tim Raines, hits a Homer. Luckily the Reds were up 3-0, so it was only 3-2, but Manager Rose had to take Robinson out, and Franco got Johnny Paredes for the final out. So Robinson lost the perfect game, no hitter, shutout and complete game in a matter of minutes. He did get the win, however.

When Johnson got the single, Johnny immediately blamed Jay, saying "I told you so" over and over again. That was Jay's last and only year as a Reds announcer.

I was at that game. Me and my Dad. I was 7. Good stuff! He's the reason I love this game like I do.

mth123
07-11-2010, 06:45 AM
I'm giving Hanigan some serious credit here as well (for his receiving, not his un-clutchness w/ the bat)

He can frame pitches much better than Razor.....and while CERA isn't the end-all, be-all of stats....it can't be overlooked. He's a very very good receiver.

Best and most useful post of the thread. Ramon has been a complete surprise with the bat, but if developing the arms is the focus a Hanigan and Miller duo would be best for these kids.

mth123
07-11-2010, 06:51 AM
Also agree with FCB's comment regarding Wood. The fact that he didn't crumble after losing the perfect game in the 9th was impressive. In fact, I'm more impressed with that than with the perfect 8 innings ahead of that.

I've had Wood pegged as a back end guy (and still suspect that) but after tonight, I think better than that is more possible than I thought.

GAC
07-11-2010, 07:26 AM
One heck of a pitching performance by both pitchers. Almost thru 8 innings at the 90 minute mark. These guys were simply mowing them down.

Ya did good Travis! I'm glad I was on hand to witness it.

Cards lost, so we're still 2 games up.

Win today and we still finish the road trip 6-5. I won't be too upset at 5-6 because I was worried about this 11 game RT. But our boys did good overall. Just some tough losses vs the Phillies.